Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pastor calling for church to fast these next 21 days

Default Pastor calling for church to fast these next 21 days

He preached on fasting today. We will be having revival in 3 weeks and he asked us to pray about it and consider some type of fasting over the next 21 days. I thought it was interesting that he shared his belief with all that is going on around us politically and with the natural disasters, that Jesus is coming back soon and he believes he will be alive when Jesus returns. I so appreciate hearing this from the pulpit today! There does seem to be an increased urgency. Personally just this last week I have stepped up efforts and I am trying to pass tracts out more now. And I have a Bible with some salvation tracts in my car now, and leaving rapture literature on my coffee table. My heart is burning more than ever concerned for a lost world.

Same here. Three weeks ago, our Pastor asked for a show of hands asking how many thought Jesus was returning for His church soon and the vast majority raised there hands....it was awesome. Our Pastor believes time is short and we've had tow prophecy conferences, one themed around Israel, in the last two years. Tim Lahay, Dr. Hindson among others were the speakers. Very exciting!!!

I have found myself praying for people that I don't even know during the past few weeks. Even some people that I have heard outside and never seen. That is so unlike me! Praise the Lord that He is completely changing my heart.

ImOnStandby221 Guest

the same deal with me.

i'm keeping tracts on me all the time now and feel burdened to constantly be praying that G-d sends more laborers out into the harvest field while there's still time.

we are so close...

praise G-d there are pastors out there sounding the alarm. not hyping people up with so-called "visions" or false dates (thank you, mr. camping) but just seeking to stir people up to the reality and seriousness of our responsibility to seek the LORD and witness to others. may their tribe increase.

I have felt an urgency too. I have been praying not only for workers for the field which is white unto harvest, but for the unbelievers to be granted the faith to believe.
    I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

While my Pastor has continually preached on the end times, rapture and return of Christ...sometimes when we are being lazy or seem to be dazing off as a congregation, we will have rapture practice, we jump up and down a time or two, we have hosted prophecy conferences as well...but I have noticed the rapture being spoke about more and more by other local pastors and preachers who in the past have typically not done so...you know, they wouldn't want to scare people away with the truth. This is way too little too late in my opinion but am glad to see at least they are on board.

My heart aches for Israel. She is under attack both physically and politically from seemingly everyone around the world, including our "leaders". Watching Hal Lindsey last night, I couldn't help but to cry for her. Then, on the John Ankenberg show, Jimmy DeYoung and John walked around the streets of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv pointing out proof of fulfilled Biblical prophecy. Afterwards Jimmy explained the timeline of prophecy to come. He stated that the Gog Magog war and Psalm 83 would come after the rapture...not sure I totally agree but either way, things are progressing very fast. In a few days the UN will resume meetings It will be interesting to see how much land will be attempted to be taken away from Israel and how our "leaders" vote on the issue...with or against her. Anyway, I type all this to say...

We Are Close To Going HOME!! and I can't hardly wait another day

Thank you Jesus!!!
    IF GOD DOES NOT PUNISH AMERICA...HE OWES SODOM AND GOMORRAH AN APOLOGY

Not Having an Avatar is the New Avatar

jsrr, I agree with DeYoung that the rapture is prior to gog-magog war but not sure about Isaiah 17/Psalm 83...I'll defer to him. That sounds good to me...Lord help us to get ready, be ready and stay ready for your sooooooon return.

Maranatha!
    Jesus is coming now at "Any Moment"! Are you ready?

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem. Amen.

My pastor never mentions the rapture or anything like that, no current events, signs of the times, nothing. They do expository preaching in my
    church. maybe thats why. We had a guest speaker last fall who named off a bunch of things that had been happening and concluded his sermon
    by saying"We are surely living in the last days". And then last sunday when we were praying for a church leader who is moving out of state
    the elder saying the prayer, told us not to be sad, because we would all be back together soon, in "the twinkling of an eye". I took that to mean
    that he feels the rapture is near. My dh said that he might have just meant that life is short

Quote Originally Posted by golden mean View Post
    My pastor never mentions the rapture or anything like that, no current events, signs of the times, nothing. They do expository preaching in my
    church. maybe thats why. We had a guest speaker last fall who named off a bunch of things that had been happening and concluded his sermon
    by saying"We are surely living in the last days". And then last sunday when we were praying for a church leader who is moving out of state
    the elder saying the prayer, told us not to be sad, because we would all be back together soon, in "the twinkling of an eye". I took that to mean
    that he feels the rapture is near. My dh said that he might have just meant that life is short
    I was thinking about this just yesterday, wondering why our preacher doesn't comment on current events or endtimes. He too, is an expository teacher. We are members of a small church, so it's easy to discuss any concerns with him, but I know he believes we are in the last days and I was considering asking him why he doesn't speak of these things, but then I believe he teaches according to the leading of the Holy Spirit, so who am I to question his leading? So, I decided to leave it in God's hands Besides, I figure there's more than enough info on the internet in regards to endtimes teaching.

Maranatha!
    1Cor 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

ImOnStandby221 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Godsavzu View Post
    I was thinking about this just yesterday, wondering why our preacher doesn't comment on current events or endtimes. He too, is an expository teacher. We are members of a small church, so it's easy to discuss any concerns with him, but I know he believes we are in the last days and I was considering asking him why he doesn't speak of these things, but then I believe he teaches according to the leading of the Holy Spirit, so who am I to question his leading? So, I decided to leave it in God's hands Besides, I figure there's more than enough info on the internet in regards to endtimes teaching.

Maranatha!
    i understand why some pastors choose not to comment on current events. it's not that they don't see the connection between prophecy and the times we're living in. it's just that they wish to avoid the "sensationalism" and hype that people can get swept away with in discussing prophecy. instead they (the pastors) choose a constant expository exegesis of text, line upon line, precept upon precept. they aren't swayed by headlines. they simply want to give their flock a steady diet of the Word regardless of what world events are unfolding.

after all, the study of prophecy (if we're honest) can be a distraction. it's a peripheral issue theologically. that is, understanding prophecy is not essential for salvation. what matters is repenting of one's sins and confessing Christ as LORD and Savior. sadly, there may be many people very well-versed in prophecy who will say to Yeshua, "Lord, Lord, did we not correctly understand the chronology of the events of Revelation and predict the participants of the war of Psalm 83?" and Yeshua will say, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."

of course they need not be mutually exclusive. one can be both a serious and humble believer as well as a devout student of prophecy, and pastors shouldn't shy away from teaching the whole counsel of G-d. but some pastors choose to keep their focus on the primary issues---salvation, repentence, holiness, etc.. prophecy, in a sense, will take care of itself. it's all going to happen exactly as YHWH planned.

davidswife & imonstandby: where do you get your tracts from?
    "The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception" Prov. 14:8

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and
    instruction" Prov 1:7

tommyg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ImOnStandby221 View Post
    i understand why some pastors choose not to comment on current events. it's not that they don't see the connection between prophecy and the times we're living in. it's just that they wish to avoid the "sensationalism" and hype that people can get swept away with in discussing prophecy. instead they (the pastors) choose a constant expository exegesis of text, line upon line, precept upon precept. they aren't swayed by headlines. they simply want to give their flock a steady diet of the Word regardless of what world events are unfolding.

after all, the study of prophecy (if we're honest) can be a distraction. it's a peripheral issue theologically. that is, understanding prophecy is not essential for salvation. what matters is repenting of one's sins and confessing Christ as LORD and Savior. sadly, there may be many people very well-versed in prophecy who will say to Yeshua, "Lord, Lord, did we not correctly understand the chronology of the events of Revelation and predict the participants of the war of Psalm 83?" and Yeshua will say, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."

of course they need not be mutually exclusive. one can be both a serious and humble believer as well as a devout student of prophecy, and pastors shouldn't shy away from teaching the whole counsel of G-d. but some pastors choose to keep their focus on the primary issues---salvation, repentence, holiness, etc.. prophecy, in a sense, will take care of itself. it's all going to happen exactly as YHWH planned.
    Well i think God thought it was important,so much over 30 percent of the bible is prophecy,endtime prophecy!
    Jesus thought so as well Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear these words of Prophecy!,and keep the things written in it;for the time is near..

My belief that those who don't/won't teach talk about is even pastors,they either haven't really studied the bible throughly,or they don't care,as one of the pastors in my former church said one time,he believevs in the pan trib,it will all pan out,he said the revelation,its better to let God handle it.....what??hmm

Quote Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
    Well i think God thought it was important,so much over 30 percent of the bible is prophecy,endtime prophecy!
    Jesus thought so as well Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear these words of Prophecy!,and keep the things written in it;for the time is near..

My belief that those who don't/won't teach talk about is even pastors,they either haven't really studied the bible throughly,or they don't care,as one of the pastors in my former church said one time,he believevs in the pan trib,it will all pan out,he said the revelation,its better to let God handle it.....what??hmm

Pan trib,... I heard that one before......

Quote Originally Posted by tommyg View Post

I'm beginning to think this "pan trib" saying is making it's way 'round a lot of churches. I love attending my church and our pastor's teaching has been biblically sound, but it became clear that pre-trib doctrine is just not discussed. Our pastor used the "it'll all pan out" phrase, and it really bothered me. My Sunday school teacher recently made a snide remark about Mr. Hal Lindsay during the Camping fiasco. I took a Bible study class with an elder who claimed up he was in the A-mil party and tried to convince everyone that Revelation in no way has anything to do with end times...he said all that occurred a long time ago. He and I often discussed this the first couple of weeks, but I wound up dropping the class. Those i'm friends with give me an indulgent smile when I bring it up-they just feel that one day Jesus will come and thats it. No tribulation, no millennial kingdom on earth. Because I haven't been saved very long, I think they believe that I'm just caught up in rumors and that once I've matured a bit in my walk, I'll realize my folly.

These are very lovely, God loving people that I'm blessed to call my brothers and sisters in Christ. There just isn't anyone there I can speak to about all that's happening and to come...that's why I'm so grateful for RR being available to those like me.

At this point in our New Age society if there are Pastors preaching the Gospel then they should be supported and commended, for they are doing what Christ has told them to do:

And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.
    Mark 16:15

With that being said, it is interesting to talk about the Rapture and the end times, and I'm very glad to have this place to chat about it too. :-)

it's just that they wish to avoid the "sensationalism" and hype that people can get swept away with in discussing prophecy.
    IMO it's not their call to decide how 30% of God-breathed Scripture will affect each believer. I know plenty of people who've been SAVED as a direct result of hearing about prophecy.

If the Lord took the time to give us these unbelievably precious nuggets of information I can't imagine a valid excuse for ignoring them as they come alive in our time!

Does anyone else suspect many pastors simply don't have a good grasp on the subject, thus being too intimidated to try teaching it?

We stand with Israel
    Genesis 12 verse 3

Quote Originally Posted by BarbT View Post
    IMO it's not their call to decide how 30% of God-breathed Scripture will affect each believer. I know plenty of people who've been SAVED as a direct result of hearing about prophecy.

If the Lord took the time to give us these unbelievably precious nuggets of information I can't imagine a valid excuse for ignoring them as they come alive in our time!

Does anyone else suspect many pastors simply don't have a good grasp on the subject, thus being too intimidated to try teaching it?
    This could be true about them not having a good grasp on the subject. They need to come to RR, and we will give them plenty of teaching backed with scriptures. It is hard for me to understand why people are not interested in Bible Prophecy it is my 2nd favorite topic. 1st is how to be saved because everyone needs to be sure of their salvation. Here is a great link for those who need to be sure of their salvation, and for all to read. http://www.jesuschristis.com/
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

BarbT, my uncle Wallace was a reverend (until his death in the late 90's) and most all of his contemporaries were a lot like him, in that he and they were well versed in the Bible from front to back and back to front. Now...I don't mean to imply they had merely memorized scripture, no they "knew their stuff" (lol ) and were Godly, Spirit led men. IMHO, without exception sermons were primarily for the SALVATION of souls and secondarily (if there can be such a thing as a "seconds") for the feeding of the sheep; sermons on the Parables and so forth.

But that was at least 20 years ago that I'm comfortable commenting on. From what I've learned here at RR there's come a whole lot of worldliness into some of what I used to think were solid denominations.
    "To sin by silence when they should protest....makes cowards of men".
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Abraham Lincoln

In 1Thessalonians4:18 we are told to "comfort one another with these words." No excuse for not sharing the Truth , the WHOLE Truth , and nothing but the TRUTH !!! IF people take it the wrong way , or sensationalize it , then ultimately they are responsible . But , we shouldn't withhold the complete Gospel for fear of what individuals might do with it . Sounds like the RCC in keeping Bibles out of the hands of the people , to me . Read Mark 4. God will have some who will produce fruit , even though many will reject it . Preaching and teaching about the Rapture and prophecy should be done with the same care and respect as with any other biblical doctrine and principle . No need to fear what others might do with the information . Truth is Light !!!

Just had another thought , ... don't the Masons and the Mormon church hold back "truth" (info.) from their members , for whatever reason
    ( CULTS!!! ) ?

I do understand that we shouldn't overload new Christian converts . But , spiritual growth is dependant on the entire balanced biblical diet ! For those preachers/teachers who don't know and understand the info. , they should study harder ! But , still , let the Holy Ghost do His job in leading the speaker , as well as the hearer ! Our main message is 'Jesus Christ and Him crucified' . God calls different ones to do different things . I think that includes a different focus/emphasis ( not a different message ) on preaching and teaching , also . There is so much to learn , it would be impossible to do it all in a million lifetimes .
    OK , ... I think I have said enough . Good night !
    Last edited by steinhatchee; August 30th, 2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: add comment

Quote Originally Posted by WickIsTrimmed View Post
    BarbT, my uncle Wallace was a reverend (until his death in the late 90's) and most all of his contemporaries were a lot like him, in that he and they were well versed in the Bible from front to back and back to front. Now...I don't mean to imply they had merely memorized scripture, no they "knew their stuff" (lol ) and were Godly, Spirit led men. IMHO, without exception sermons were primarily for the SALVATION of souls and secondarily (if there can be such a thing as a "seconds") for the feeding of the sheep; sermons on the Parables and so forth.

But that was at least 20 years ago that I'm comfortable commenting on. From what I've learned here at RR there's come a whole lot of worldliness into some of what I used to think were solid denominations.

Yes , our primary goal is to tell people how to be saved . Also , many things were not understood years ago , concerning end time prophecy , as we understand them now in 2011 . So much was still so unclear then . We don't know it all , yet . But , a lot of things are coming together in
    this time that we live in now as never seen before . A lot of things are making more sense as each day passes .