Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

I am a high school English teacher.

Old 33 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cryo View Post
    I am a high school English teacher.
    What have you assigned for your students to read this year?

Reepicheep Guest

Compensation and Benefits Manager in an HR dept.

LAN Administrator (Computer Geek) for a Hospital in Baltimore Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Old 33 View Post
    What have you assigned for your students to read this year?
    Wow, they read so many different works, as I teach three classes this year. In American Lit., we work chronologically from the Puritans to the modern age. Some major works they read were The Crucible, A Raisin in the Sun, and Their Eyes Were Watching God. My sophomores read A Lesson Before Dying, Our Town, The Catcher in the Rye, and Julius Caesar. My freshman honors kids studied ancient mythology, The Oddysey, Oedipus Rex, Antigone, The Lord of the Flies, and Julius Caesar, if I am remembering all the major works. We also read many short stories, poems, etc.

Before anyone flames me for teaching Catcher (or any other titles), and wonders how I can do that as a Christian, I must disclaim that I don't believe in censorship of literature, art, etc., and the book is part of the curriculum here, and despite it's content, there are important themes and issues that are important to high schoolers, and the content in the book is nothing they haven't seen on TV or experienced themselves over and over by the time they read the book. I have had a couple students over the years whose parents pulled them out of class during that unit, which I had no problem with, as it is their right, and they worked independently on an alternative text. I am very liberal in some areas while I'm conservative in others.

Old 33 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cryo View Post
    Before anyone flames me for teaching Catcher
    You know, here's my experience with Catcher in the Rye. I didn't read it until college, but by that point it had been built up and built up as the mythic, epic book...and this "dangerous" book that was so controversial, etc.

And I was really disappointed by the book. It seemed so tame compared to what I had expected.

Munkh Guest

Computer Support Tech for a hospital in Idaho.. another computer geek

Quote Originally Posted by Old 33 View Post
    You know, here's my experience with Catcher in the Rye. I didn't read it until college, but by that point it had been built up and built up as the mythic, epic book...and this "dangerous" book that was so controversial, etc.

And I was really disappointed by the book. It seemed so tame compared to what I had expected.

Exactly! It's pretty tame for high schoolers today. It was hugely controversial when it was published in the '50s because society was so different, but I think the kids today don't think it's that big a deal at all. I have only had two parents in nine years ask to not have their child read it.

mbtcforJesus Guest

Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread. It's interesting reading what you folks do to put bread on the table.

Glory in print Guest

Self employed: I own an advertising company, and I am currently starting up a correspondence school for youth 9 -18 to teach them entrepreneurship.

automotive technician at a ford dealer in sw missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by saved by Grace View Post
    automotive technician at a ford dealer in sw missouri.
    At a Ford dealership, talk about job security. I'll bet your never out of work. j/k. And yes I've owned a few. Honestly...never again.
    -Todd
    Desert Storm Vet-US Navy
    America...Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave

Live your life in a way that causes others to question their disbelief in God.

We contribute nothing to our salvation except the sin from which we need to be redeemed. William Temple (English diplomat & author)

Quote Originally Posted by LoudRam View Post
    At a Ford dealership, talk about job security. I'll bet your never out of work. j/k. And yes I've owned a few. Honestly...never again.
    IMHO, I don't know if it's the truck(s) so much as it's the dealerships. In all camps (Ford/Chevy/Dodge) I've known people who have had trucks that have NEVER had problems; and I've known people who've had nothing BUT. I have to admit that the problems I DID have with my Dodge (while many) either centered around 3 things:

- transmission
    - brakes
    - visor

However, the dealership, on the other hand, was absolutely abominable. Legally I had a 'lemon', but the only reason I didn't pursue it is because it'd have costed me more to pursue it than the truck was worth.

The Ford I have now has been nothing but reliable...in 202K miles, I've had a starter, a diesel 'preheater' (little $100 part that preheats the diesel before it goes into the filter), and an injector go out on me, for a grand total of about $700 in parts/labor. That's it. But even if it DID go out, I know I could take it to a local dealership and get it fixed w/no problems. (Well, one of them anyways. The OTHER one is owned by the same people who own the Dodge dealership and they suck.)

Enlightened Guest

At a Ford dealership, talk about job security. . And yes I've owned a few. Honestly...never again.
    I'm on F-150 number 4 in 10 years. I lease them for business reasons so I only put on about 30,000 - 36,000 miles or so on each one. Hardly a long term test. BUT, in those 3 trucks over the last 9 years I've had exactly one problem--the air bladder adjustment for lumbar support in the driver's seat went out in the 2000 model. Otherwise the only thing I've done is change oil, rotate tires, and buy wiper blades.

I had a '97 with the 4.2, V-6. It died before it had 90k on it. I've heard that's a common problem with that engine. I know a few people that happened too with the same engine. I realize they're not that bad but with that experience I can't bring myself to buy another one. Besides for my next truck I want a HEMI!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic....
    -Todd
    Desert Storm Vet-US Navy

We contribute nothing to our salvation except the sin from which we need to be redeemed. William Temple (English diplomat & author)

I had a '97 with the 4.2, V-6. It died before it had 100k on it. I've heard that's a common problem with that engine. I know a few people that happened too with the same engine. I realize they're not that bad but with that experience I can't bring myself to buy another one. Besides for my next truck I want a HEMI!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic....
    Yeah, the 4.2L V6 wasn't/isn't all that hot. Personally, I think they should phase it out...I've got a 2004 F150, with the 4.6L V8.

It gets 21-22MPG when one keeps their foot out of it. Not bad at ALL for a V8. up

palmaceae Guest

I have a 1968 Mustang and a 1986 Mustang GT, they will last forever!!! Of course I restored them but that is besides the point! I have also always owned a Jeep, many models, and always will, I have Cherokee that is just turning 200,000 miles, still running strong.

I did constrution for about 30 years, the last 7 months now after I turned 50 years old, I've been selling used cars for a car lot that has about 70-80 on the lot.
    I am a Jeep man for years, I still drive a 1990 Waganeer.

Doublezero Guest

Police Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Doublezero View Post
    Police Officer
    That's the best job there is. Thank you for doing it. That's what I wanted to. I was a MAA (MP) in the navy as TAD for 2 years. I asked around here locally and they all told me I needed college even though I was trained. That ended that.
    -Todd
    Desert Storm Vet-US Navy