Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesus prepares mansions for His believers

Default Jesus prepares mansions for His believers

I have been thinking a lot lately about the events that I pray will take place soon. Jesus talked about preparing a place and building mansions for his people and followers of Christ. Once the rapture occurs, we will meet up in the sky, and at the end of the tribulation, we will return with our Lord and King to reign with him for 1000 years here on earth. Can anyone clarify this for me? Will the preparation of this place and mansions Jesus speaks of happen once Raptured or after the 1000 years, or upon our return back to Earth? Or maybe these are not physical buildings at all that Jesus was speaking of?

Thank you and God bless you all.
    Warrior 4 Christ

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Yet another area where language translation can cause confusion -

Here's a take on this question from GotQuestions -

http://www.gotquestions.org/mansions-heaven.html

Question: "Do we receive mansions in heaven?"

Answer:
    The night before Jesus was crucified, He told His disciples that He would be leaving them and that they could not go with Him (John 13:33). Peter asked where He was going and why they couldn’t go with Him, and Jesus assured them that they would follow Him eventually (John 13:36-37). Jesus said, "In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also" (John 14:2-3).

This saying of Jesus has confused many because of the King James Version’s rendering of the words “house” and “mansions.” The Greek word translated “house” means “an abode,” literally or figuratively, and, by implication, “a family.” The word translated “mansions” or “rooms” means literally “the act of staying or residing.” So, putting the Greek together, Jesus is saying that in God’s home (heaven) there will be many people in the family of God all abiding together. Within God's heavenly house, Christians will live in the presence of the Lord. This is quite different from the idea of rows of mansions on streets of gold, which is the image many people have of what Jesus was saying.

Jesus Christ prepares a place in heaven for His own, those who have come to Him in faith, and the Holy Spirit prepares the redeemed on earth for their place in heaven. Revelation 7:9 tells us that there will be a "great multitude in heaven that no one could number" all standing before the throne. Here, again, the imagery is of multitudes together, not living separately in different mansions.

(I'll try to revisit this thread later tonight or tomorrow with some more thoughts of my own.)

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

I have always longed for this! For years I've been begging all my Christian friends to buy a large piece of land and
    build a main room and huge kitchen and private bedrooms for all. Pooling our money, we could provide nursing care
    for the elderly etc. Lots of room to garden, can, pray, study...it's always been a dream for me. When we get to heaven
    my dream comes true!
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

My thought is that we won't really need a "house" as such because in our glorified bodies we won't have need of the same shelter and facilities
    that we need in our human body? Of course I know people who believe with all their heart, that they will receive a stone and mortar type house
    in heaven. I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed thought.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty58 View Post
    I have always longed for this! For years I've been begging all my Christian friends to buy a large piece of land and
    build a main room and huge kitchen and private bedrooms for all. Pooling our money, we could provide nursing care
    for the elderly etc. Lots of room to garden, can, pray, study...it's always been a dream for me. When we get to heaven
    my dream comes true!
    That sounds wonderful!

Burbank,Ill surburb of chicago, crook county, home of king Daley

[QUOTE=cris;2141602]I have been thinking a lot lately about the events that I pray will take place soon. Jesus talked about preparing a place and building mansions for his people and followers of Christ. Once the rapture occurs, we will meet up in the sky, and at the end of the tribulation, we will return with our Lord and King to reign with him for 1000 years here on earth. Can anyone clarify this for me? Will the preparation of this place and mansions Jesus speaks of happen once Raptured or after the 1000 years, or upon our return back to Earth? Or maybe these are not physical buildings at all that Jesus was speaking of?

Thank you and God bless you all.[/QUOT

I believe when Jesus comes to take the bride away (us),our rewards are with Him for our earthly service (Isaiah 40:10)as He is anxious to give them to us.I also think since we are the bride He is coming to get, the mansions must be prepared and fully ready before hand for our occupancy,it would make no sense if they were not.These mansions will be perfectly suited for the form we live in at that time what ever it may be.

I,m a fool for Christ,whose fool are you ???

I am so excited, I just can't wait! I feel like a kid a week before Christmas. (how can I EVER wait that long! I want it to be here now!)
    I love that Scripture that says, "I will restore to you what the locusts have stolen" (can't remember addy) Anyway, God will give us everything He has given to the Son....all I want is the Son. I want to just walk beside Him and hold His hand wherever He goes.
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

I believe Jesus is alluding to the Jewish wedding customs of the time: http://www.khouse.org/articles/2003/449/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    Yet another area where language translation can cause confusion -

Here's a take on this question from GotQuestions -

http://www.gotquestions.org/mansions-heaven.html

Question: "Do we receive mansions in heaven?"

Answer:
    The night before Jesus was crucified, He told His disciples that He would be leaving them and that they could not go with Him (John 13:33). Peter asked where He was going and why they couldn’t go with Him, and Jesus assured them that they would follow Him eventually (John 13:36-37). Jesus said, "In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also" (John 14:2-3).

This saying of Jesus has confused many because of the King James Version’s rendering of the words “house” and “mansions.” The Greek word translated “house” means “an abode,” literally or figuratively, and, by implication, “a family.” The word translated “mansions” or “rooms” means literally “the act of staying or residing.” So, putting the Greek together, Jesus is saying that in God’s home (heaven) there will be many people in the family of God all abiding together. Within God's heavenly house, Christians will live in the presence of the Lord. This is quite different from the idea of rows of mansions on streets of gold, which is the image many people have of what Jesus was saying.

Jesus Christ prepares a place in heaven for His own, those who have come to Him in faith, and the Holy Spirit prepares the redeemed on earth for their place in heaven. Revelation 7:9 tells us that there will be a "great multitude in heaven that no one could number" all standing before the throne. Here, again, the imagery is of multitudes together, not living separately in different mansions.

(I'll try to revisit this thread later tonight or tomorrow with some more thoughts of my own.)

Thank you, that helps clarify my confusion.
    Warrior 4 Christ

Quote Originally Posted by cris View Post
    I have been thinking a lot lately about the events that I pray will take place soon. Jesus talked about preparing a place and building mansions for his people and followers of Christ. Once the rapture occurs, we will meet up in the sky, and at the end of the tribulation, we will return with our Lord and King to reign with him for 1000 years here on earth. Can anyone clarify this for me? Will the preparation of this place and mansions Jesus speaks of happen once Raptured or after the 1000 years, or upon our return back to Earth? Or maybe these are not physical buildings at all that Jesus was speaking of?

Thank you and God bless you all.
    Hi there. I have not read any of the other responses, and I only have a few minutes to respond so I apologize if I miss anything. Start first with the context: Jesus is speaking to His disciples. We are His disciples as well, so He is also speaking to us. This is something the Lord is doing specifically for His Bride for our marriage week.

Second, the Bible is a literal book, so there is no reason to believe that Jesus is not speaking of a real place that exists in the spiritual realm--something that we cannot see in the flesh, only with eyes of faith and by His Word for the moment. It's a real place.

I went and looked at the Greek as well.

http://biblos.com/john/14-2.htm

The word that can be translated as mansion can also be a room--maybe the idea is that the room is really decked out for the Bride of the King---that is just like Jesus! If you look at the Greek word in the same sentence translated as place, it can also be translated as room as well, but He is using two different words to refer to the same place, the same dwelling for us. This is in Heaven---that we may be where He is---He went to Heaven and today is seated at the right hand of the Father interceding for us and when He comes for us, His bride, so He is preparing the bridal chamber for His bride. Paul tells us that when this happens, in 1 Thess 4:17 that we will be with the Lord forever.

Our home is the New Jerusalem (check out Revelation for more on that). In Rev 3, Jesus says to the Philadelphia church, "12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name."

New Jerusalem is seen in Rev 21. One of the cool things that I just caught on this reading is v22, "But I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple." Today, each individual believer is the temple and indwelt by the very Spirit of the Lord, likened to an engagement ring pointing to this very promise that Jesus will return to receive us. This will change with the Rapture and there will be another change to the ministry of the Holy Spirit as we go into eternity as well. How neat!

I tend to think, based on studying Jewish wedding tradition and looking at John 14 and Revelation 21, that the bridal chamber for the 7 year Tribulation and New Jerusalem might be two different places/things. One is for our marriage week, one for all eternity--also because when we enter into eternity, all the redeemed will live there; but there are still different groups of redeemed based on time from earth. I am not sure about this last part, and I am not dogmatic about what I have said and am hoping for more instruction and will go back and read when I have more time--it also does not answer your question about where we will dwell for the 1000 year reign, so they may be one and the same place. I have done some studying on this, but more on the things before the Rapture and through most of the Tribulation at this point, though it really warrants more study, huh? We are talking about eternity. I also did not check any references. This is just me looking at what you referenced and your questions, and what I do know the Bible says!

Thanks for those with more knowledge.

ArchonCk Guest

This one is an easy to answer question.

First of all, this can't be symbolic. Jesus clearly says that He's going to prepare a place for us. How on earth do you prepare a symbolic building? That would be like me telling my friend "Ok here's what I'll do, I'll go on ahead back to my house, set up the guest room, then fly back here tomorrow to get you, and we'll be home in time for dinner" and he thought I was being figurative, as though I was going to go set out the symbolic beds, and cook a symbolic turkey. Here's the most likely scenario. Jesus returns at the Rapture. Christians go to New Jerusalem (heaven) and wait out the storm. Christians come back with Christ and reign and mingle with mortals, and enjoy the rebuilt cities, astounding nature wonders, and the other fine establishments milllennial earth will provide. BUT! Christian immortals might have the ability to move very quickly, maybe even faster than light. This would allow us to travel between New Jerusalem and earth at the speed of thought. Which means we can live in New Jerusalem, but work and socialize and relax on earth (or anywhere else in the Universe for that matter).

This means that we live in the New Jerusalem during the Tribulation and Millennium, and do business on earth, and when the Millennium ends, and the New Heavens and New Earth are created, and the city descends, we either descend with it (for the 1 guy who forgets what day the millennium is scheduled to end, this is going to be quite the surprise "imagines Christian guy with glasses reading newspaper on marble counter, gold coffee cup falls to floor, spills everywhere") or we will wait on the New Earth as it descends. Either way, our amazing speed will allow us to travel quickly between New Jerusalem and Earth, allowing us to move in to New Jerusalem at the rapture, and live there forever (Unless we decide to vacation elsewhere, obviously) without contradicting the Bible, which says that the saints return with Christ, and all/some of them reign on the earth.

I'll end with four things.
    1.Its never a good idea to turn clear Biblical meaning into something else just because its confusing or physical. Reasoning like this would have deny that the New Heavens/New Earth are physical, or that Israel exists into the Millennium and forever, or even that New Jerusalem itself we're just a symbol. I hate it when people "spirtualize" the Scripture, as though they were move spiritual than God! God clearly tells us that humans are meant for a physical world, with 3 dimensions of space, 1 of time, on a world like this one (but without sin).

2.Jesus say during His whole mansion speech that "if it were not so, I would have told you" (John 14:2). It kind of kills symbolic interpretation when Jesus takes the time to basically say "I AM NOT BEING SYMBOLIC".

3.I seriously doubt that anyone will forget the day the Millennium is scheduled to end. But it would kind of surprise you to learn your whole city was falling through space at at 100X the speed of light wouldn't it?

4.To those who would say we wouldn't take vacations because New Jerusalem is "perfect", I'll just remind you that variety is the spice of life. It might be that we might build whole new cities, JUST SO that we can live in them a few years because its fun. I mean seriously, how many of you have seen those cool lily pad cities? Who wouldn't mind taking a break from the skyline dominating New Jerusalem to live in one of those for a year or two? I mean its not as though you house in Jerusalem is going anywhere.

Maranatha!

All I know is that Jesus has something planned for us that we cannot imagine! Whatever it is, it will be Perfect. Whatever it is will be to His Glory. But, I see a personal bent in John 14 - He says "for you." Now, (personal opinion ahead) I believe that he knows us, really knows us, and, to that end, has built a perfect place for each of us.
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

Psalms 2:2-4a

Cry

Quote Originally Posted by twisty58 View Post
    I am so excited, I just can't wait! I feel like a kid a week before Christmas. (how can I EVER wait that long! I want it to be here now!)
    I love that Scripture that says, "I will restore to you what the locusts have stolen" (can't remember addy) Anyway, God will give us everything He has given to the Son....all I want is the Son. I want to just walk beside Him and hold His hand wherever He goes.
    Joel 2:25 "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten -I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you. ...

And have they eaten so much of my innocence, how I long for it, I want to have it, I want to know and feel it. .....
    Me - too I am so excited that one day finally I will be holding HIS HAND and talk to Him and no more tears....

I love this thread so much, thanks cris for starting it...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonCk View Post
    Jesus clearly says that He's going to prepare a place for us. How on earth do you prepare a symbolic building?
    Not taking a stand either way on literal mansions or not here, but just two thoughts.

Did He say "literally build" or "prepare"? He also said He would "build" His Church, that doesn't mean literally building a physical church on a rock: And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18

Christians go to New Jerusalem (heaven)...
    It's not Heaven itself, it's a new structure that will descend from the sky and that although huge, will have a limit of space. I wonder if there's room for a mansion for every believer?

I also wonder if the idea of a huge space of living quarters for each person to separate them from one another is a heavenly idea or a man-made fantasy? Just asking.

Maranatha!
    Yes, indeed, even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus!
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

All I know is that it will be beautiful just based upon the description in Rev 21:11-21 If it's that beautiful on the outside, imagine INSIDE!! I mean New Jerusalem is going to be HUGE! I'm so very excited. I love to sometimes lay there at night and imagine all the things inside. I pray that my animals can go with me, Lord willing. I imagine being able to explore other planets and I long to play the piano and hope I'll know how to play and the Lord will permit me to play for Him. Little things like that, I think about. Just knowing that we have no idea the things the Lord has in store for us is amazing. Our minds cannot wrap around it and that's so very exciting. I pray every day that today's the day. I don't (we don't) belong here. I want to go home....I find myself crying about it too and I chuckle slightly and give a small apology to the Lord for acting like a baby. I can't remember the verse, but He mentions becoming like children and I think we'll have that mind set in heaven while discovering new things. We'll be like children seeing things for the first time. He's not taking us there to be bored, that's for sure! Come quickly, Lord Jesus. Snag up those few fence sitters we're waiting on and bring us home please! I love this thread and I sure wish we were allowed to talk about dreams in regard to the rapture, because I had one the other night. Anyways, God Bless you all

Maywood, I love that verse, too.

Between mental illness and abusive family; I hang onto it!

I was getting a delivery today, and I saw bright purple racks with yellow containers. I thought "I love that combination!" I love bright colors, I'm sure whatever God's got for me has them.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I would be just fine with a small little cottage amongst God's beautiful creation.As long as I can be with Christ for an eternity.

Yay!

Love the idea that the translation for "mansion" is an abode...I'm raising 4 kids...I don't need anything too big to clean!

Rev 21:23, "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb [is] the light thereof."

I like the idea of no more sun. God will provide our warmth (if our new bodies even need such a thing). I feel warm and fuzzy just thinking about it!

I don't know if it will be actual mansions or not but I look at it this way, whatever it is it will be awesome.

1 cor 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18