Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jesus prepares mansions for His believers

Quote Originally Posted by Jlutz View Post
    the bema seat is not to judge our sins. Christ has already taken care of that
    This is a true statement, judgement of sin is not the focus. I am reminded of some research I did on this and here is an excerpt I like from a Christian website.

"In 2 Corinthians 5:10, Paul gives the Corinthian church an illustration of the Bema Seat, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." Paul is teaching us that all Christians will stand before the Bema Seat of Christ. At the Bema Seat, Jesus Christ will bring to light every deed-good or bad-that each believer has done on earth since he or she became a Christian. Every Christian will be rewarded based on his words, deeds, and faithfulness.

In my earlier post I was referring to "my lack" of good things done in the body (thoughts/sins) as compared to what Christ has asked of us (to make disciples of all men), and "my lack" of good-deeds that are worth a reward (leading others to Christ). Thus after Jesus Christ finds me lacking, I will be satisfied to just be there. I expect Christ to find me lacking. I know that there is so much more I could be doing, yet I being as honest as I can, am not where I pray Christ will lead me to be (while here on earth)...
    The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.... Living for Jesus - Listening for the Trumpet

I fully identify with you, In Christ. Jesus will wipe away our tears...

Anyway, here's more verses:

11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
    from 1 Corinthians 3
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

What is Bema seat?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon9602 View Post
    What is Bema seat?
    What’s The Bema Seat Judgment?

Q. Since all Raptured Christians shall appear before the Bema Judgment Seat of Christ to give an account of things done during their lifetimes here, good or bad, I was wondering if you would expound more fully on a Scriptural passage found in 1st Corinthians, Chapter 3, Verse 15 (KJV).

A. The king sat in the Bema Seat at the stadium in Corinth to present the winning athletes their crowns, judging them victorious. So it is with the judgment of raptured Christians. It’s more like an awards ceremony. Since we aren’t saved by our works, but by our faith, this judgment is not related to salvation, but to the things we’ve done since becoming saved that have furthered the work of the Kingdom during our lives. The “race we’ve run” so to speak. Those things done solely out of gratitude for the free gift of salvation we’ve received with no thought for personal gain will earn us various crowns. Those things we’ve done for earthly credit or recognition or in an attempt to earn points with God will be disqualified. In effect 1 Cor. 3:15 states that even if all our earthly work for the Lord is disqualified for improper motives, we’ll still be saved and welcomed into the Kingdom. http://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bibl...seat-judgment/
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    What’s The Bema Seat Judgment?

Q. Since all Raptured Christians shall appear before the Bema Judgment Seat of Christ to give an account of things done during their lifetimes here, good or bad, I was wondering if you would expound more fully on a Scriptural passage found in 1st Corinthians, Chapter 3, Verse 15 (KJV).

A. The king sat in the Bema Seat at the stadium in Corinth to present the winning athletes their crowns, judging them victorious. So it is with the judgment of raptured Christians. It’s more like an awards ceremony. Since we aren’t saved by our works, but by our faith, this judgment is not related to salvation, but to the things we’ve done since becoming saved that have furthered the work of the Kingdom during our lives. The “race we’ve run” so to speak. Those things done solely out of gratitude for the free gift of salvation we’ve received with no thought for personal gain will earn us various crowns. Those things we’ve done for earthly credit or recognition or in an attempt to earn points with God will be disqualified. In effect 1 Cor. 3:15 states that even if all our earthly work for the Lord is disqualified for improper motives, we’ll still be saved and welcomed into the Kingdom. http://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bibl...seat-judgment/

Very good analogy ISong! The one reward that all of us at this site and many others will receive is "The Crown of Righteousness" for waiting, loving and glorifying Christ's appearance!

2 Timothy 4
    8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. 1Cor 9:25; 1Pet 5:4;

Back to the OP. We will all have our places in heaven, Christ died and shed his precious blood to cover our sins, then rose again defeating death and sets at the right-hand of God. Christ assended to heaven to prepare a place for us, whether it is a mansion, a room, and apartment and commune is immaterial, as being with Christ and glorifying him in all we do will be our primary focus for eternity. The Bema seat as Isong wrote is a sort of awards ceremony, and has nothing to do with our salavation which we received freely through Christ Jesus. There are many who are called to "Preach" the word of God and this the job they perform daily. There are millions more who are not preachers of the word, but simply children of God who perform a job each day, whether it be a policeman, teacher, grocery store clerk, carpenter or a miriad of other titles, we are to do our daily jobs in the spirit of Christ that others may see Christ in us. One day we will all meet in heaven and glorify Christ together, so regardless of where we lay our heads in heaven, it is the mere fact we are there forever with Christ that deserves our everlasting praise for what he did for us on that cross.
    The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.... Living for Jesus - Listening for the Trumpet

cm4Jesus Guest

I love this thread. I was just thinking on this yesterday and my son and I were discussing it. I don't think we can truly comprehend what the Lord has prepared for us because our minds are limited and we think in earthly terms so to speak. The Lord Jesus on the other hand is not bound to the same limitations we experience here on earth. What if these mansions have no walls so to speak...imagine walking into your mansion only to find a whole other world there ready for you to explore? (I'm an explorer at heart) All I really know is what is written, that I myself can not imagine what the Lord has prepared for me. Like a kid at Christmas, I can't wait to see it all.

1 Corinthians 2:9
    But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Jesus's Girl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    Yet another area where language translation can cause confusion -

Here's a take on this question from GotQuestions -

http://www.gotquestions.org/mansions-heaven.html

Question: "Do we receive mansions in heaven?"

Answer:
    The night before Jesus was crucified, He told His disciples that He would be leaving them and that they could not go with Him (John 13:33). Peter asked where He was going and why they couldn’t go with Him, and Jesus assured them that they would follow Him eventually (John 13:36-37). Jesus said, "In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also" (John 14:2-3).

This saying of Jesus has confused many because of the King James Version’s rendering of the words “house” and “mansions.” The Greek word translated “house” means “an abode,” literally or figuratively, and, by implication, “a family.” The word translated “mansions” or “rooms” means literally “the act of staying or residing.” So, putting the Greek together, Jesus is saying that in God’s home (heaven) there will be many people in the family of God all abiding together. Within God's heavenly house, Christians will live in the presence of the Lord. This is quite different from the idea of rows of mansions on streets of gold, which is the image many people have of what Jesus was saying.

Jesus Christ prepares a place in heaven for His own, those who have come to Him in faith, and the Holy Spirit prepares the redeemed on earth for their place in heaven. Revelation 7:9 tells us that there will be a "great multitude in heaven that no one could number" all standing before the throne. Here, again, the imagery is of multitudes together, not living separately in different mansions.

(I'll try to revisit this thread later tonight or tomorrow with some more thoughts of my own.)
    When I read this, I felt something in my spirit of a warning. What God meant, He said. He knew what King James would translate. Be careful. If Jesus said it, He meant it and He meant what He said. He said "there are many rooms in My Father's House" and He is going to prepare a place for us. Jesus said He's building us mansions - He allowed that translation - He's building mansions! I'm not saying anyone's wrong here, but just saying be careful. God is smart and He knows and forknew what would be translated. He put those words in our Bible. We are supposed to be as children and believe in Him and have faith as children. Heaven is so vast and yet does have perimeters. I believe He does have mansions for each of us. What He is preparing for us it will take an eternity to discover.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus's Girl View Post
    What God meant, He said.....
    In the original format it was recorded as intended.

God also knew there would be a version called "The Message".

From our Doctrinal Statement -

* Literal means we believe the bible is the inspired word of GOD to be taken at face value unless there is compelling reason to do otherwise (usually indicated in the context of the passage).
    * Historical means that each passage is put into its proper historical setting, and surrounded with the thoughts, attitudes and feelings prevalent at the time of writing.
    * Grammatical means that words are given meanings consistent with their common understanding in the original language at the time of writing.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    Not taking a stand either way on literal mansions or not here, but just two thoughts.

Did He say "literally build" or "prepare"? He also said He would "build" His Church, that doesn't mean literally building a physical church on a rock: And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18

It's not Heaven itself, it's a new structure that will descend from the sky and that although huge, will have a limit of space. I wonder if there's room for a mansion for every believer?

I also wonder if the idea of a huge space of living quarters for each person to separate them from one another is a heavenly idea or a man-made fantasy? Just asking.

Yes, indeed, even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus!
    To the first:

http://biblos.com/john/14-2.htm

http://concordances.org/greek/2090.htm

To prepare, to make ready. He does not use the word build.

In Matt 16:18:

http://biblos.com/matthew/16-18.htm

http://concordances.org/greek/3618.htm

He uses a different word which means to build a house, to edify. Love this site.

Oh, note to anyone who has to do apologetics with RCCs: Peter's name is Petros, which means little rock, pebble. And the rock that Jesus said that He will build His church on is a different word, petra, which means something different: a rock, ledge, cliff, cave, stony ground.

4073 (petra) is "a projecting rock, cliff (feminine noun) . . . 4074 (petros, the masculine form) however is a stone . . . such as a man might throw" (S. Zodhiates, Dict).

And then you can take them to Luke 6:48:

http://biblos.com/luke/6-48.htm

http://concordances.org/greek/4073.htm

I had a run in a few weeks ago with a couple who was RCC and their entire dogma is Matthew 16:18....and they had no idea what what happens next in the passage!!! They read the dogma and snipped out twisted verse, not the whole counsel of God. Sorry--had to say something (again). That really bugs me.

JesusGirl, just caught your posting and also Steve's response. The Bible was written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic originally. While the Lord did know exactly what would happen with translations and has allowed it, this is the exact reason we study and dig not only back to the original language but to the original meaning. Look

I am reading a book called Living as a Christian: Teachings from First Peter by AW Tozer. He talks about the meaning of the word peculiar. It does not mean strange or odd. In the Bible, the original meaning of that word is people for position, a bought people, a purchased people. This is at the heart of things and why the good Berean doesn't just seach the scripture to see if what is being taught is true, digging back into the original language and meaning of that word at the time of the writing is important and the reason for the debate about Bible translations too! Look the different Greek words for love, another good example of translation issues. In English, love was used for agape and phileo, but they have different meanings.

ArchonCk Guest

Since their is so much confusion regarding the nature of the Millennium, the current Heaven, and the New Heavens and New Earth, I am going to list 5 principles, that I think if followed, would clear up all superstitions and nonsense about our understand of the above concepts.

All three places/ages are the following, without exception. They are all

Holy, rational, physical, linear, fun.

First, that they are all holy. In all three, little to no sin exists. The entire character of the place is righteous. In other words, everyone there, as well as everything made by those there (movies, books, games, video games, etc) are moral and containing nothing which could offend or anger a Christian's conscience. This doesn't mean the place is solemn, or formal all the time, or casual all the time. It means nothing more or less, than that the rule violations we commonly know as sin will not occur there.

Second, that it is rational. Nothing there is "beyond our comprehension" or "magical". Nothing there (In any of the three places/ages mentioned) is so beautiful we go into convulsions, or so loving that we just want to sink into it, or so "mystical" that we couldn't bear to leave (Let me stop to say that I have pain in the pit of my stomach as I write this, and would rather die than live in a place like that described above). Not that their isn't beauty, agape, and joy in the place, its just that none of it is beyond our comprehension. (Paul's friends/Paul's visit to paradise/heaven doesn't refute the above. When he said he heard "indescribable things", he was either saying that it would be hard to explain, but not impossible, or he was merely using a hyperbole). If a man were to go up to heaven tomorrow, and come back the next day, there is nothing there he wouldn't be able to explain to us in perfect English. He may run out of poetic enough words, but if he was a calm and rational enough man, he could merely describe in detail what was seen and heard, and relay it back to us. (To those who doubt this, consider that John the Apostle had no trouble at all describing his visit to Heaven and his seeing New Jerusalem (going so far in fact as to describe the street pavement for us))

Third that it is physical. That in all three places mentioned, that people shall eat, drink, work, play, go to the bathroom, write, read, use/invent technology, study science, create art, and do all those noble and human things our species is known for (of course, without the improper uses of the above, which of course would be sin).
    The cities are real cities, made of gold and jewels, and gardens real gardens, with trees for food, and decoration, and resting under, and climbing, and making into paper. The mansions, real homes for beings who although they are immortal, would still like a place to keep their possessions, be alone if its suits them, decorate to their liking, and in general, to serve as base of operations for their existence. Those who deny that we'll have homes on the grounds that we won't have physical necessities forget the much more important functions a house serves. I deny and abhor the idea that any part of the world to come will be anything less than 3 dimensions space, 1 time, to the glory of God. That world is like this one, only without sin, and more excellence, with more excellence as the ages roll on.

Fourth, that time there is linear. One moment follows the next with perfect timing. A man without a watch wouldn't have much fun in any of the places/ages listed, because even though we have infinite time to do things in, we still have to be able to measure changes in matter, as well as set up for anything we might want to do. Imagine if we didn't measure time, and yet in the year 12000AD we decided to have a rr forum reunion (terrible idea, don't really do it). If we didn't know it was 12000 AD, how would we do it? And if we didn't know it was 12:05 PM on Saturday how would we be able to get everyone together for lunch? (Yeah, everyone meet outside the Judah Gate at....oh yeah. Everyone just show up and hope everyone else is there). And that's just if we stopped MEASURING TIME. Can you imagine if time literally stopped flowing? You wouldn't be able to move. You wouldn't be able to think. You'd be eternally frozen in place. Since time is the measure of the changes in matter, no time means no eating, no drinking, no worship, no music (all the concepts of music, tempo, melody, etc depend on time to exist). That, and Scripture mentions time in all three places/ages (Years mentioned in the Millennium, not to mention the 1000 year time limit on it, 30 minutes of silence in heaven, fruit harvests every 12 months in the New Heavens and New Earth). So yes. Time.

Fifthly, it is fun. If something isn't sinful, with the exceptions of sex and maybe a few other things, it will probably be in all three places/ages). No matter how base or "unspiritual" we may think it is. Movies? If their not sinful, and we can obtain a copy (kind of hard to find movies when digging through the ashes of an apocalypse), although I'm sure we'll film new ones. T.V.? And why not? Just because some T.V. shows are sinful should we throw out the baby with the bathwater? Should we say that just because the water put before us is filthy, that no clean water exists anywhere? Sports? And why not, with disease and weakness banished from the earth. Art? Science? Technology? (Glorified flying or no glorified flying, I intend to own a flying car.) Why should we think that when God's old creation is so varied and glorious, even under the curse, that God's new creation should be nothing but us singing songs to God, hugging people, and talking to people we used to know? Used to know? Is God the God of the dead or of the living? I look forward, not to whom I used to know, but whom I'll meet. I look forward to the New Heavens and New Earth, the home of righteousness. And what comes with perfect righteousness? Learning, working, playing, reigning, teaching, building, destroying (to make room for more building), dancing, singing, laughing, music, games, toys, and a world of justice. Where rationality and agape rules the minds of men, and kindness and justice directs their actions. To the cold, "spiritual" life of the mystic and platonist I hold no esteem. Let us not, as some have done, try to spiritualise and make metaphors of God's great promises. God has promised us a world like this one without sin, then let us look forward to that, with all its unblushing promises of just Christian worship, and perfect government, and nations,science,art,technology,games,movies,music, and all the other noble things we humans ruin with sin, being available to us, that we may have greater occasion for the praises of our God, and that His glory may continue to be made apparent by the things that are made.

Maranatha! For Christ and Kingdom!

Seriously, I don't care if I have to sleep in a field in Heaven. I don't care if I never own another possession during my entire existence.

I'm just thankful that I'm going to get to spend my eternity somewhere safe, and loving.

ArchonCk -

this is one of the best and most sensible posts that I have read in a long time. Thank goodness I expect our life in eternity to be like the one we lead now except with all the sinful elements removed. There is nothing to dampen your enthusiasm for heaven like this idea of floating around in a long robe playing a harp and having no home to live in, just constant communal musical activity.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonCk View Post
    Since their is so much confusion ......
    Because folks can't separate the secular from their imaginings?

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintTexas View Post
    To the first:

http://biblos.com/john/14-2.htm

http://concordances.org/greek/2090.htm

To prepare, to make ready. He does not use the word build.

In Matt 16:18:

http://biblos.com/matthew/16-18.htm

http://concordances.org/greek/3618.htm

He uses a different word which means to build a house, to edify. Love this site.

Oh, note to anyone who has to do apologetics with RCCs: Peter's name is Petros, which means little rock, pebble. And the rock that Jesus said that He will build His church on is a different word, petra, which means something different: a rock, ledge, cliff, cave, stony ground.

4073 (petra) is "a projecting rock, cliff (feminine noun) . . . 4074 (petros, the masculine form) however is a stone . . . such as a man might throw" (S. Zodhiates, Dict).

And then you can take them to Luke 6:48:

http://biblos.com/luke/6-48.htm

http://concordances.org/greek/4073.htm
    I dropped the ball here by just speculating and not researching first. Thanks for the correction!

Since their is so much confusion....
    show us the proof or its just your opinion.
    Last edited by Steve53; September 15th, 2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Compressed to save bandwidth
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Since their is so much confusion regarding the nature of the Millennium, the current Heaven, and the New Heavens and New Earth, I am going to list 5 principles, that I think if followed, would clear up all superstitions and nonsense about our understand of the above concepts.
    If there is *confusion*, as you say, it's that there is only a relative little told us about Millennial life and even less of the current Heaven and nothing about the New Heavens and the New Earth.

Yet you have written paragraphs with certainty, including no Bible verses to back up your claims.

We'd rather be *confused* admit our ignorance based on what God has chosen to withhold from us (He did say it's above all that we can even imagine, meaning we can't imagine it) than make claims that can't be Biblically verified.

Quote Originally Posted by Idgy3 View Post
    Seriously, I don't care if I have to sleep in a field in Heaven. I don't care if I never own another possession during my entire existence.

I'm just thankful that I'm going to get to spend my eternity somewhere safe, and loving.
    Amen. Intellectual studies are wonderful for those who comprehend such thing, as long as they get it right.
    My thought processing is that of a child due to my dear mother's panic in attempting abortion. The Grace of God
    has allowed me to gather some knowledge and live a full life and all of the teaching I received as a child is in there
    somewhere...sometimes trying to unravel it gets me into trouble lol. Our bodies are called tabernacles? If our new body
    is our mansion, so be it. If not, as Idgy3 said, that's fine by me. Somewhere it says Jesus prayed that we be one just as
    He and the Father are one....so if I end up as a toenail of the Bride...cool bananas.
    Last edited by Grace1945; September 15th, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    2 Timothy 1:12

Quote Originally Posted by angcan View Post
    Love the idea that the translation for "mansion" is an abode...I'm raising 4 kids....I don't need anything too big to clean!

Amen! I was just saying that to my DH last night.......... !

I recently read a very excellent book on Heaven by Randy Alcorn -- it was the most exhaustive book on Heaven that I've ever seen -- and he describes what we can know about Heaven based on the Scriptures. And it is a LOVELY picture!

I highly, highly, highly, recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abba'sChild View Post
    I recently read a very excellent book on Heaven by Randy Alcorn -- it was the most exhaustive book on Heaven that I've ever seen -- and he describes what we can know about Heaven based on the Scriptures. And it is a LOVELY picture!

I highly, highly, highly, recommend it.
    +1
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)