Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quiverfull Movement

Just a question..
    Your profile says that you are 17 years old. How is it that you call yourself a "quiverfull-er" and a homeschooler? Do you mean that your parents are of the quiverful leaning and they are homeschooling you and maybe you would like to do that when you are an adult???? I have read your posts several times and I am not really getting what you are trying to ask..
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Just a question..
    Your profile says that you are 17 years old. How is it that you call yourself a "quiverfull-er" and a homeschooler? Do you mean that your parents are of the quiverful leaning and they are homeschooling you and maybe you would like to do that when you are an adult???? I have read your posts several times and I am not really getting what you are trying to ask..
    Thanks!
    I beleive people like the Quiverfull go to school up to age 14. They also get married and have a family at a young age too. Im sure someone on here can correct me if Im wrong...

Cross :o

Wow it looks like it got busy when I was away for a day! WOW...lol
    At iSong...Jesus came and fullfilled the ceremonial and legalistic (ie dont wear clothes of two differenct types) laws but He didn't abolish the moral laws. If preachers can reference that being gay is a sin using a quote from the OT then one can deduce that the OT moral laws are still in effect. For example if you wanted to tell your stepbrother he couldn't be interested in you or say a cousin, then you'd use a quote from the OT. I myself am doing an indepth study on the OT moral laws just to see what's there.
    To answer Lucy's Question: My parents aren't quiverfull. My folks are divorced and I just live with my mom. I would say she is an evangelical and I am a fundamentalist.
    Quiverfull is a matter of conviction, conversion if you will. Just as you don't have to be a certain age to have Jesus in your heart you don't have to be a certain age to have the value of being open to having a large family.
    I could understand what the other ex Quiverfull poster might have been through strictly speaking that I grew up Pentecostal and Charismatic and in this denomination if you didn't have enough faith that is why your problems weren't fixed and/or healed.
    Um..at Shannon, most Quiverfulls go all the way thru high school and the sons & some daughters (depends on the patriarch) go to college.
    I am in my 12th grade year and also in my first year of college due to a special education oppurtunity that my community does.
    I mean Christian culture in a broader sense---our values, our religion, if you will and the world does view it that way, makes us into a widespread culture---a community if you like that better.

Do your Mennonite/Quiverfull end-time beliefs line up with ours? I wasn't aware that Mennonites are pre-trib.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Quiverfull is a matter of conviction, conversion if you will. Just as you don't have to be a certain age to have Jesus in your heart you don't have to be a certain age to have the value of being open to having a large family.

Thank you allybell for responding to my question...I commend your goals and inspirations. I am thrilled that at your age you are even thinking of such things, especially considering that you didn't come from that background. I have friends that could be described as "Quiverfull" in that they are patriarchial in their family lives and have many children. To really be "Quiverfull" you must find a husband that believes the same way which is difficult, especially these days. In that movement, the man usually decides those things since he is the one usually supporting his family. The woman must be agreeable as well. In theory it sounds good but in reality it becomes a lot more difficult. Especially if child birth doesn't come easy or your income doesn't match your needs. That is when it gets a little messy and often falls into the legalism that pushes people away.....

After being married for 29 years, my husband and I have 5 children. We never used birth control, the 5 is just what we got. I had some birthing issues and after the 5th, I almost bled to death. My husband had a vas. so we would have no more children. I could have just kept getting pregnant and died the next time...Some in the movement would just say that my death would have been God's will and that we didn't trust enough. I believe that God gave us good judgement to use in these cases. We don't trust less but we do live in a fallen world.

Being open to life is a wonderful way to live but we have to be really careful and not get legalistic about it.

Cross

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    Do your Mennonite/Quiverfull end-time beliefs line up with ours? I wasn't aware that Mennonites are pre-trib.
    Hmm IDK on that one. My end time beliefs stem from simply what's been happening in our world! lol. Also I have been reading end time prophecy since I was 12 years old and was largely mentored by Tim Lahaye's book on the Trib. I keep with probably....IDK honestly. Pentecostals are pre trib as far as know tho my pastor personally is end trib for the rapture.
    Quiverfull---some factions are Dominion theology in that . I remember reading about that in a book about the movement.
    IDK about Mennonites. I am myself am not a Mennonite nor part a of Mennonite church so I wouldn't know what to say about that except Google it and see what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by allybell12 View Post
    sometimes it's exhausting to keep fighting for our rights but we must if we want to preserve Christian culture till Jesus raptures us.
    I don't quite understand this as well. What 'rights' are you fighting for? The right to dress modestly? The right to be right on the subject?

If you dress apart, you'll be treated that way. If you conform in dress (within reason, obviously), you'll likely not be noticed. It seems there is a whole lot of worrying over outward attire in your movement, creating a whole lotta artificial animosity.

Let me ask you a question. What if, in your community, there came one who was only say.....half quiverfull, whould he/she be shunned? On what basis would you judge them, and would it be a judgment over what God commands, or would it be over opinions of men? I must say, there are many believers outside of your movement, so what exactly does this movement accomplish aside from some local ordinances about dress? That last question is rhetorical by the way, I have lived around this many years of my life here in Amish-ish country.

From my perspective, that of a believer for many years, when I see the 'dress', I only think Mennonite or Amish, it goes no further than that, it accomplishes nothing regarding my perception of them being more righteous, more holy, more moral, or anything like that. Men are all the same, whether Amish or not, there is no difference. I guess I'm saying it doesn't matter at all really, aside from modest clothing. It can give rise to ridicule, it makes some prejudge them for whatever reason.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I realize you may be quite young and I don't want you to go against what your parents have defined for you. I would rather see you articulate how you do this for yourself, between you and the Lord, and how it doesn't go beyond that. In other words, its all good if you were to move away from all that you know and still dress in moderation. Thats cool, most believers would do that, just not the dressing 'plain' thing, it serves no purpose other than man made restrictions.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

One thing from my perspective that I don't understand... there's dressing modestly, and then there is dressing "plain" as they did centuries ago. Dressing modestly while still being modern in fabric, etc... doesn't draw attention to oneself. Dressing "plain" as they did centuries ago draws a lot of attention to the person themselves, which is opposite of what I thought dressing modestly was supposed to be about.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Good point.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

This thread reminded me of something I once heard:

An elderly pastor who had been around a loooonnngg time was asked his view on women wearing make-up. He looked at the man asking the question and said "If you have a barn whose paint is peeling - do you paint it? Some barns need more paint than others!"

Just trying to interject some humor! I do know that many of these "communities" if you will, have similar ideas about make-up hairstyles etc. as they do about clothing. I think our lovely posters have done a great job answering questions. The way I see it, is that it boils down to this:

1. Are you acting out of a personal conviction - or looking to rebel from an opposite upbringing? (pentecostal to "quiver full" would be quite a 180)

2. If it is not a doctrinal issue - are you being legalistic about it? If not - groovy - if you find yourself leaning towards legalistic - you may have a problem.

I think God uses each of us individually, and our personal "style" can be a contributing factor. This is what I mean. I am your typical SAHM, kinda trendy in my own way, but have no problem connecting with others like me. Drop in a 20 something with pink hair - they are going to be perceived differently until, hopefully, their love of Jesus shines through.

Drop me into a skatepark - I am just not going to connect initially with the people there. God uses us in all shapes, sizes and whatever's.

You are quite young, and your views and outlooks are going to change and grow over time. Just be sure you leave yourself open to the Holy Spirit's guidance. That is what is dangerous about legalistic groups - especially if you become involved while still young. The legalism can become very oppressive, and you have isolated yourself to a specific set of people . It then becomes hard to find a way out or "loosen things" up, because at that point you are turning your whole support system against yourself.

Simply, if you aren't judging others by those standards, don't worry about it, just know that by your very appearance you will encounter some prejudice. That is fact. The question is, is your belief in those things strong enough to withstand that pressure? If so, you should be able to let it go, without it bothering you too much. If you can't, maybe there are some things you need to look at. Our Christian faith shouldn't breed resentment and defensiveness in ourselves in regards to matters that aren't doctrinal or salvation issues.
    Last edited by Beccasue; September 28th, 2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clairification

i am a Christian Conservative love herman cain. but the quiverfulls are kinda living under a rock. how are you going to reach the lost if you want to EXTREMLEY shelter your kids?then when you get in the world, your kids arent gonna be handle other types of people. i believe in sheltering: ie no drugs, smoke, drinking, i personally only listen to Christian music (love needtobreathe), girls, dont show me your body (like dont let me see your bottom or your tops), guys dont be draggin your pants on the ground, but the Quivers need some REALality! and dont give yourself away until your married and only to your spouse

Clemson, I think that is one reason I like Gospel Rap.

Part of "my demographic" is the young, urban, black male.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

sounds like a lot of legalism to me, nothing Biblical about it
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

The problem with dressing plain is that you draw NEGATIVE attention to yourself. If you want to reach the lost, you need to not freak them out. You need to show the love of JESUS. You are not able to communicate as well the Gospel when people avoid you. They should look at the inside and not the outside, but they don't. Now, you need to set yourself apart, living IN the world but not being OF the world. What often draws people to ask about JESUS is that they can tell that you have something that they don't. Also, when people see 1800s dressed people, they assume they don't have that something they are looking for and might as well come from Mars. But when you see a bubbly person even in deplorable conditions, you wonder and ask. There is this special needs lady at my church that my family sits in front of, and you can tell she loves JESUS! She has literally nothing except for JESUS. I am friends with her, and I know that she will be rewarded at the Bema Judgments and in Heaven. I am sorry if I come across as judgemental and no offense to Quiverfulls.

Preach Responding since this thing has a life of its own lol

Clem, have u ever considered that Paul in the bible, 1 Timothy 2:9, told women to dress modestly?
    Blue jeans are immodest as they leave little to the imagination as are many other clothes that show too much cleavage. Dresses are better in the respect that they cover up what they are supposed to.
    You can also have stylish conservative clothing also.
    Clothing has nothing to do with evangelism. Quiverfulls evangelize too. But there are also modern dressing Christians who don't evangelize either.
    Again, evangelism has nothing to do with clothing!
    Quiverfulls don't live under a rock and we are immersed in reality, I resent that statement.
    The world doesn't live all western fashion either you know, ever look at India? Or Middle Eastern countries?
    I can wear dresses only and a headcovering---it's not 'strange,' it's different. I can wear these and still evangelize with the best of them.
    And all your advice on not having sex until marriage and not doing drugs etc. Quiverfulls live that way. Yes some children are sheltered, I am, but we also know the dangers of the world and how to avoid worldliness and why we should avoid worldly sin.

Quote Originally Posted by allybell12 View Post
    Clem, have u ever considered that Paul in the bible, 1 Timothy 2:9, told women to dress modestly?
    Modesty is one thing, and wearing out-of-date styles to try to set oneself apart for other reasons than simple modesty is another.

Blue jeans are immodest as they leave little to the imagination
    Then why can guys wear jeans? Jeans, properly sized and meant for women leave plenty to the imagination.

as are many other clothes that show too much cleavage. Dresses are better in the respect that they cover up what they are supposed to.
    Dresses can also slip up and show a lot more than pants do. Esp. if one is working a job that requires a lot of movement.

You can also have stylish conservative clothing also.
    Which is what many of us wear without wearing dresses.

I can wear dresses only and a headcovering---it's not 'strange,' it's different.
    It is your right to wear them, but it is not required biblically. Also, it is very true that your style of dress draws more looks and attention than a modern modest wardrobe. Drawing attention to oneself isn't a biblical concept, in fact, Jesus taught against people wearing religious type garb, going about doing that so others would notice, the hypocritical religious pharisees loved to feel that self-righteous feeling when they thought they were dressing and behaving ultra-religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by clemson View Post
    The problem with dressing plain is that you draw NEGATIVE attention to yourself. If you want to reach the lost, you need to not freak them out. You need to show the love of JESUS. You are not able to communicate as well the Gospel when people avoid you. They should look at the inside and not the outside, but they don't. Now, you need to set yourself apart, living IN the world but not being OF the world. What often draws people to ask about JESUS is that they can tell that you have something that they don't. Also, when people see 1800s dressed people, they assume they don't have that something they are looking for and might as well come from Mars. But when you see a bubbly person even in deplorable conditions, you wonder and ask. There is this special needs lady at my church that my family sits in front of, and you can tell she loves JESUS! She has literally nothing except for JESUS. I am friends with her, and I know that she will be rewarded at the Bema Judgments and in Heaven. I am sorry if I come across as judgemental and no offense to Quiverfulls.
    You said it better than I could.

I guess you could call me an "urban missionary". I do outreach to a lot of young men from bad neighborhoods. The fact that I am dressed in a manner they find familiar (no baggy pants, but no designer labels, either), listen to (gospel) rap, ride the bus like they do, and obviously on a budget makes them a lot more likely to take a Bible.

It's really cool when I get an obvious gangbanger on a Bible handout; I love to hand one over!

I get my Bibles here

Why do some women wear head coverings? I identify that with Islam or Hindu. I may be wrong on that though. But in the end, even though we disagree on certain issues, we are children of GOD.

Well, some cultures see "hair" as a sex object. They think women's hair is so "tempting', it has to be covered or it will cause the men to stumble. In that thinking, a woman "wants" to cover her hair, in order to be modest. A woman uncovering her hair, is like a woman taking her clothes off.

I don't agree, but that's their right.

A muslim explained to me, one day. I think it also applies to the very conservative American Christian groups, too. I only cover my hair when I am out in the summer (hat), or working with food (health laws).

I get my Bibles here

In the Biblical framework, a headcovering was called for in specific cultures (such as Corinth), because temple prostitutes wore their hair a certain way. The new Christian women were told to cover their heads so they didn't look like the prostitutes; and it was a sign of marriage as well. So, it would be like a pastor telling the women in this country not to dress like a prostitute, wear a wedding ring if married, and act like a married woman.