Thread: Ted Haggard at My Former Church

Default Ted Haggard at My Former Church

I got a postcard advertising my former church's 10th anniversary. One of the five speakers will be Ted Haggard! Granted he got his start in a megachurch in my little city, and one of the two members of his 'restoration' team (Larry Stockstill) pastors that church, but after the affair with a male prostitute and meth use, I would have thought Haggard would not be an honored guest at any church. So of course, my former church, an aspiring megachurch, invites him even after Larry Stockstill condemns Haggard for leaving the restoration process and returning to the pulpit prematurely.

I'm so glad I left that place. That pastor has no discernment! I just wish my friends would leave too, but they are looking down on me for leaving and telling me to come back when we come in contact.

Ted has a new church here again now and it is growing.
    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

I'm very happy to hear that you left that church--the fact that he is given an audiance is just unbelievable.
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by Florian9 View Post
    the fact that he is given an audiance is just unbelievable.
    I agree, but you gotta realize

most churches could care less about discernment nowadays
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

Quote Originally Posted by dleader View Post
    Ted has a new church here again now and it is growing.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeLordJesus View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I drive by his house to work everyday. They had meetings there on Sunday mornings and now have to rent out a middle school to conduct their services.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Do you know if Ted Haggard repented for his sins?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon9602 View Post
    Do you know if Ted Haggard repented for his sins?
    Last I heard he was on some news programs making excuses about homosexuality, I think.

This is heresay but it has now been said that he says he is bisexual. I don't know if it is true. I know the aim for his new church is all inclusiveness and will take anyone regardless of their behavior. In other words he is welcoming in homosexuals and not trying to get them to see the error in their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dleader View Post
    This is heresay but it has now been said that he says he is bisexual. I don't know if it is true. I know the aim for his new church is all inclusiveness and will take anyone regardless of their behavior. In other words he is welcoming in homosexuals and not trying to get them to see the error in their ways.
    Wow, so what's next
    We are so blessed to have a wonderful and small Bible Church here, one that is Conservative (but not legalistic), and our 2 Pastors teach from the Bible. Not any apostasy going on, thank the Lord. It has actually lost some members, but is still standing true to the Word Of God. I wake up on Sundays and am so excited to go, learn and fellowship. It is going to become harder in these end times to find a church that is safe and true, and so glad for discernment, which I pray for daily. So many weird things going on in some of the Churches, it makes one's head spin when I read and hear of these things.
    I pray the Lord takes us home soon.

I have a real lack of knowledge here so don't clobber me. It's not ok for homosexual people to go to church? I have often thought about this. Many times a homosexual's behavior is distinctly different from straight people so most of the time we are able to observe the person is not straight. Not always, however. So because we can see their sin they are not allowed to come to church? What if I was a pathological liar 6 days out of the week but told no lies on Sunday would I be allowed to come to church? Yes! Because no one would know - my sins were secret but because their sin is obvious they aren't allowed to come to church? And quite honestly I am so perplexed by all this I don't have an opinion or any knowledge of what is correct. I'm square on they shouldn't be in leadership and I get that it's wrong for the pastor to overlook it or make everything so inclusive that they are not told the truth but I just don't understand why it's frowned on that they would come to church. What if a boyfriend/girlfriend live together - would they not be allowed to come to church? Or would the church try to work with them to teach them the err of their ways. I guess maybe the difference would be that many homosexuals do not want to be corrected in their ways and just expect to be accepted as they are?
    Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by HisVessel View Post
    I have a real lack of knowledge here so don't clobber me. It's not ok for homosexual people to go to church? I have often thought about this. Many times a homosexual's behavior is distinctly different from straight people so most of the time we are able to observe the person is not straight. Not always, however. So because we can see their sin they are not allowed to come to church? What if I was a pathological liar 6 days out of the week but told no lies on Sunday would I be allowed to come to church? Yes! Because no one would know - my sins were secret but because their sin is obvious they aren't allowed to come to church? And quite honestly I am so perplexed by all this I don't have an opinion or any knowledge of what is correct. I'm square on they shouldn't be in leadership and I get that it's wrong for the pastor to overlook it or make everything so inclusive that they are not told the truth but I just don't understand why it's frowned on that they would come to church. What if a boyfriend/girlfriend live together - would they not be allowed to come to church? Or would the church try to work with them to teach them the err of their ways. I guess maybe the difference would be that many homosexuals do not want to be corrected in their ways and just expect to be accepted as they are?
    The issue is that they are not being set straight biblically and led to believe that their lifestyle is okay. I'm sure that also the cohabitating couple and the pathological liar would not be taught how to live by the Bible either. I think Ted is about running a church that makes money. Incidentally a long time ago in church a pastor was preaching on why it was a sin to live outside of marriage and then offered to marry any couples who would like to do so. It was neat to see that kind of conviction.

Any church that is soft on sin and doesn't tell their members and visitors that ALL sin must be confessed on the Blood and Body of Christ is giving them a false sense of eternal security. And that includes sexual immorality (fornication, adultery, homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, etc). The problem isn't homosexuals coming to church. It is that they are not being told that their lifestyle is a sin against God and humans and must be dealt with by confession and repentance or eternally outside of Heaven. Truth be told there are a lot of sins other than homosexuality being coddled in churches across this planet.

If I can stomach it, I'm going to the conference just to see what they're up to. It's free anyway.

Haggard gave a good sermon except he finished by saying that just love anyone no matter what we may do because we're all sinners. Yes, we're all sinners. I appreciate what he he meant, but I think the Bible makes clear that we are to confront people about their sin, like the church was to confront the man living in sin with his MIL or stepmother, even if we're not God or the holy Spirit, but sinners too.

I think that confrontation can be more loving than keeping silent, and seeming to condone the sin.

He'll be speaking again tomorrow at 10:00 am. You can go to http://miracleplacechurch.org/ and click media center, then 'click here' to watch it live. They'll probably sing, et cetera for an hour first.