Thread: Is it Jesus or YAHSHUA?

Default Is it Jesus or YAHSHUA?

OK some one posted this on a friends post on Face Book about Jesus:

LIVE LIKE YAHSHUA-- THE SON OF YAH---NOT A GREEK PAGAN REFERENE TO "HAIL ZEUS." sorry, when we get to Heaven...all manmade/greek references will be THROWN OUT!! and the same during the Millennium.......only YAH'S TRUE NAMES AND HIS SON AND NO MANMADE RELIGIONS!! Only the FAITH INSTITUTED BY YAH......

Now I know I have read on this and in the KJV Bible and it said something to the effect You will call him Jesus. so is this guy Correct? is Jesus incorrect? I have tried to search for the scripture I was thinking of but it doesnt come up on my Blue line Bible search. Could I get some help from you all on this?

Honestly, I don't think it matters. He has many names, Yahshua, Yeshua, Yehoshuah, Joshua, Jesus, Immanuel, Son of God, Lamb of God, Word of God, Son of Man, The Prince of Peace, Christ, Messiah.

It depends on what you're really referring to in your heart.
    My soul is in anguish.
    How long, O LORD, how long? -Psalms 6:3

Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. Revelations 22:12

Salvation!

For if you confess to others with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe with your heart that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved! -Romans 10:9

"Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory!" Luke 21:27

The guy (I can tell who it is by this content but won't print his name for the publicity he so wants) who wrote this is a madman, plain and simple. He is a very disturbed Hebrew Roots cultist of one of the worst kinds.

He also clearly does not have even a rudimentary knowledge of Hebrew or Greek yet he's *teaching* others craziness based on the angry fables in his head.

Here's an answer specifically to these points the nutjob raises (not the OP, the one who has a site riddled with insane ravings). It's by a Jewish believer, not some Jew-wannabe Gentile like the one who vomits up this stuff:

Question - What is the original Hebrew name for Jesus? And is it true that the name Jesus is really a pagan corruption of the name Zeus?

Answer - I am continually amazed by how many people write to our ministry and ask us questions like this one, which came in last week: “Some Christians say we have to use the Hebrew name, Yashua. They say calling on the name of Jesus is calling on Zeus. That Jesus is a disguise name for Satan. What answers do you have for this? Where can we prove the name of Jesus is correct to use in its English translation and pronunciation?”

As bizarre as these questions are, the fact that they keep coming up means that they need to be addressed, so here are some simple responses (for more details, see What Do Jewish People Think About Jesus, question #38).

The original Hebrew-Aramaic name of Jesus is yeshu‘a, which is short for yehōshu‘a (Joshua), just as Mike is short for Michael. The name yeshu‘a occurs 27 times in the Hebrew Scriptures, primarily referring to the high priest after the Babylonian exile, called both yehōshu‘a (see, e.g., Zechariah 3:3) and, more frequently, yeshu‘a (see, e.g., Ezra 3:2). So, Yeshua’s name was not unusual; in fact, as many as five different men had that name in the Old Testament. And this is how that name came to be “Jesus” in English: Simply stated, this is the etymological history of the name Jesus: Hebrew/Aramaic yeshu‘a became Greek Iēsous, then Latin Iesus, passing into German and then, ultimately, into English, as Jesus.

Why then do some people refer to Jesus as Yahshua? There is absolutely no support for this pronunciation—none at all—and I say this as someone holding a Ph.D. in Semitic languages. My educated guess is that some zealous but linguistically ignorant people thought that Yahweh’s name must have been a more overt part of our Savior’s name, hence YAHshua rather than Yeshua—but again, there is no support of any kind for this theory.

The Hebrew Bible has yeshu‘a; when the Septuagint authors rendered this name in Greek, they rendered it as Іησους (I**ēsous, with no hint of yah at the beginning of the name); and the same can be said of the Peshitta translators when they rendered Yeshua’s name into Syriac (part of the Aramaic language family). All this is consistent and clear: The original form of the name Jesus is yeshu‘a, and there is no such name as yahshu‘a (or, yahushua or the like).

What about the alleged connection between the name Jesus (Greek I**ēsous) and Zeus? This is one of the most ridiculous claims that has ever been made, but it has received more circulation in recent years (the Internet is an amazing tool of misinformation), and there are some believers who feel that it is not only preferable to use the original Hebrew/Aramaic name, Yeshua, but that it is wrong to use the name Jesus. Because of this, we will briefly examine this claim and expose the fallacies that underlie it.

According to the late A. B. Traina in his Holy Name Bible, “The name of the Son, Yahshua, has been substituted by Jesus, Iesus, and Ea-Zeus (Healing Zeus).”

In this one short sentence, two complete myths are stated as fact: First, there is no such name as Yahshua (as we have just explained), and second, there is no connection of any kind between the Greek name I**ēsous (or the English name Jesus) and the name Zeus. Absolutely none! You might as well argue that Tiger Woods is the name of a tiger-infested jungle in India as try to connect the name Jesus to the pagan god Zeus. It is that absurd, and it is based on serious linguistic ignorance.

Here is another, equally absurd statement:

Basically, to keep it simple, “Jesus” is a very poor Roman translation from Latin, that was also poorly translated from the Greek, which IN NO WAY resembles His Hebrew name, “Yahushua.” Whew! Get all that? Moreover, according to the ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA, the name Ieusus (Jesus) is a combination of 2 mythical deities, IEU and SUS (ZEUS, a Greek god). In Gnostic and Greek mythologies they are actually one and the same pagan deity. So, it appears the name “Jesus” has some documented pagan origins. That's not good! In fairness, some Messianic believers disagree and state that there is no definitive evidence to connect “Jesus” to “Zeus.” However, I disagree with them. (http://www.wwyd.org/)

The response to this statement (which has as much support as the latest Elvis sightings) is quite simple: We know where the name I**ēsous came from: the Jewish Septuagint! In other words, this was not some later, pagan corruption of the Savior’s name; rather, it was the natural Greek way of rendering the Hebrew/Aramaic name Yeshua at least two centuries before His birth, and it is the form of the name found in more than 5,000 Greek manuscripts of the New Testament. This is saying something! The name I**ēsous is also found in Greek writings outside the New Testament and dating to that same general time frame.

Although it is claimed that the Encyclopedia Britannica says that “the name Ieusus (Jesus) is a combination of 2 mythical deities, IEU and SUS (ZEUS, a Greek god)” it actually says no such thing. This is a complete fabrication, intentional or not. In short, as one Jewish believer once stated, “Jesus is as much related to Zeus as Moses is to mice.”

Unfortunately, some popular teachers continue to espouse the Jesus-Zeus connection, and many believers follow the pseudo-scholarship in these fringe, “new revelation” teachings. Not only are these teachings and practices filled with error, but they do not profit in the least. So, to every English-speaking believer I say: Do not be ashamed to use the name JESUS! That is the proper way to say his name in English—just as Michael is the correct English way to say the Hebrew name mi-kha-el and Moses is the correct English way to say the Hebrew name mo-sheh. Pray in Jesus’ name, worship in Jesus’ name, and witness in Jesus’ name. And for those who want to relate to our Messiah’s Jewishness, then refer to him by His original name Yeshua—not Yahshua and not Yahushua—remembering that the power of the name is not in its pronunciation but in the person to whom it refers, our Lord and Redeemer and King.
    http://askdrbrown.org/ask-dr-brown/3...-the-name-zeus
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

PS - According to this lunatic, most of us here called upon demons when we asked "JESUS" to save us. But did He hear us? Did He answer us with His precious salvation? Yes, He certainly did. This whacko doesn't think through the things he throws out there.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    PS - According to this lunatic, most of us here called upon demons when we asked "JESUS" to save us. But did He hear us? Did He answer us with His precious salvation? Yes, He certainly did. This whacko doesn't think through the things he throws out there.
    I came across this guys site awhile back, read a little and started watching a video. Soon my head was spinning in circles, regaining my composure, I was able to stop the video without any permanent scars that I know of.

Cross

Thank you all for your input. Does anyone know the scripture I was referring to where it says you will call him Jesus.
    iSong yes I get the feeling this guy is one of the Hebraic Roots followers who uses a Prayer Shawl and I do not feel that is scriptural. Itborders on Idol Worship in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by araj54 View Post
    I came across this guys site awhile back, read a little and started watching a video. Soon my head was spinning in circles, regaining my composure, I was able to stop the video without any permanent scars that I know of.
    Good, brother, you got out just in time!

Seriously, some get hooked by all the *secret knowledge* and their minds get very twisted. It happened to some friends of mine. Maybe that's why I hate it especially much.

Quote Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
    Thank you all for your input. Does anyone know the scripture I was referring to where it says you will call him Jesus.
    iSong yes I get the feeling this guy is one of the Hebraic Roots followers who uses a Prayer Shawl and I do not feel that is scriptural. Itborders on Idol Worship in my book.
    I'm so thankful for your discernment! Run fast and far away from this one.

Is this what you're thinking of? And she shall bring forth a son and thou shalt call his name JESUS for he shall save his people from their sins Matthew 1:21

See this for the literal Greek: http://biblos.com/matthew/1-21.htm

Also: And behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb and bring forth a son and shalt call his name JESUS Luke 1:31 http://biblos.com/luke/1-31.htm

Good, brother, you got out just in time!

Seriously, some get hooked by all the *secret knowledge* and their minds get very twisted. It happened to some friends of mine. Maybe that's why I hate it especially much.

Secret Knowledge is also know as Gnosticism.

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by PickensSlim View Post
    Secret Knowledge is also know as Gnosticism.

Slim
    Yep. The NT writers such as Paul and James spent much time fighting that wile of satan.

There is no *secret knowledge* and there is nothing new in terms of satanic deception.

I think the scripture you are referring to is either: Mt 1:21 or Lk 1:31, when the angel Gabriel told Mary that the child she would have would be called Jesus. It's my understanding that the Hebrew pronunciation is Yeshua, and it means 'salvation'. Yeshua is the salvation of God given to us. Jesus is the correct English pronunciation of the Hebrew Yeshua. Since we are an English speaking people, Jesus is the correct pronunciation for us. However, we would not be incorrect to use the Hebrew or another language pronunciation for the same name/word.
    Ph 3:15 (paraphrased):...And if on some point you and I think differently, that too God will make clear to us. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Quote Originally Posted by carol1948 View Post
    ...However, we would not be incorrect to use the Hebrew or another language pronunciation for the same name/word.
    Right, what is the damnable lie is to tell people God is just itching to cast people into Hell for using any other name than *Yahshua* (a word that doesn't exist in Hebrew) as if it's a magic verbal talisman.

Another example of someone trying to get believers to not focus on what God would have us focus on. Last I checked, its not a fruit of the Spirit to 'pronounce thy name arightly'. These people are duped by their own craftiness, fulfilling every thing we are not supposed to be, contentious, faction making, dissensions and the like.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Cross

WOW I am watching Mike Muzzerall from Son Life Broadcasting and he just spent 15+ minutes preaching on this! Very well done I must say! And Yup he agrees with Us

Quote Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
    WOW I am watching Mike Muzzerall from Son Life Broadcasting and he just spent 15+ minutes preaching on this! Very well done I must say! And Yup he agrees with Us
    Good to hear that.

Right, what is the damnable lie is to tell people God is just itching to cast people into Hell for using any other name than *Yahshua* (a word that doesn't exist in Hebrew) as if it's a magic verbal talisman.
    Indeed, it's similar to Hinduism's magic 'Om' syllable. I live among a lot of Eckankar people, and right now they're having a convention, and they flood into the place where I work and refer to and talk about 'the temple' and what goes on there. They have a magic syllable too, 'Hu' (pronounced hue) which apparently they sing for 20 minutes on end. And according to one little old lady who talked to me, the Holy Spirit's name is 'E' (eh). Gee, I thought the Holy Spirit's name was the Holy Spirit.
    "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." - 1 Corinthians 15:26

Ok i have dumb question. Since we are on the topic of names and such...What is the proper way to pronounce Abba?

is it Ab-(as in the body part) ba-(like the b sound in bath)

or is it Ab-(as ah) ba-(as in the sound a a sheep makes)

Or is it Ab-(as in the body part) ba-(as in the b sound of ball)

HELP!
    Joh 14:6 λεγει αυτω ο ιησους εγω ειμι η οδος και η αληθεια και η ζωη ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου

Joh 14:6 dicit ei Iesus ego sum via et veritas et vita nemo venit ad Patrem nisi per me

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.