Thread: Witnessing to someone who is/was a drug addict?

Default Witnessing to someone who is/was a drug addict?

Has anyone witness to someone who is/was a drug addict? Any success stories? I feel the need to witness to a friend soon if God will allow me. I just have a strong feeling something is going to happen soon and I will feel guilty. I am not sure how to approach him. Does it make a difference in whether if they are sober or not?

Hi, Shannon.

I came to Christ 30 years ago. I was a drug dealer and an alcoholic. I didn't want to talk w/believers when I was sober, but I was too messed up when I was drunk/high to understand most times. Still, as God leads, chat away!

The thing that finally opened my eyes was how sinful I had become. I never expected myself to do the awful things I ended up doing. It caused intense guilt and disappointment in myself. I was ready to take my life when I called out to God...AND HE HEARD ME!!! PRAISE HIM!!!

Tell your friend of your love and concern for his/her soul. I couldn't believe anyone cared about me. I was damaged...Knowing that someone cared about me, and that I was valued, ministered to me a great deal!

God bless your soul winning efforts!
    Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
    Revelation 4:11

My husband was a drug addict and an alcoholic before I met him (we've been married 27 years) and he was saved through someone leaving a tract on the city bus which he picked up and read, then put in his bedroom drawer. He said he thought about the tract often, then when he had a "bad trip" he called out to God for salvation, and God not only saved him but instantly made him sober.

Do whatever God leads you to do, don't be discouraged if you don't personally see the results. Just plant the seeds, God has promised that His Word would not return to Him void. It will either save or convict.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

My husband is an alcoholic.

I would suggest talking to them when "sober".

When God gets ahold of them, former addicts are often used in amazing ways. I know a former heroin junkie, used to live behind a dumpster, God got ahold of him and he's now a pastor of a church.

Pray about it, ask God to use you. He will.

I'll suggest my favorite: buy an inexpensive New Testament and give it to them.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Default I have had enough!!

He called me the other day after not calling for several months and asked me to go to walmart and send him money. He didn't want me to take it the wrong way and think that he is just calling for money which he was!!! ARGH!!! Of course I refused to send him money. I decided not to take a 5 hour road trip to witness to this man!! Forget it!! I have decided to write him a nice... yes NICE long letter to him and include a bible of his very own to read. And that will be up to him if he wants to read it or not. Im going to tell him like it is and its gonna hurt, I know. I realize I cannot ever talk or see him again. Its better that way. I refuse to have him manipulate me and that will be the last time ever! After all this, he may not care but at least I did something. Someone else is gonna have to witness to him, obviously I cannot be the one.

Which is a good bible to send him. I want something that is easy to read. Should I get one that has a study guide included? They are expensive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon9602 View Post
    He called me the other day after not calling for several months and asked for money. He didn't want me to take it the wrong way and think that he is just calling for money which he was!!! ARGH!!! I decided not to take a 5 hour road trip to witness to this man!! Forget it!! I have decided to write him a nice... yes NICE long letter to him and include a bible of his very own to read. And that will be up to him if he wants to read it or not. Im going to tell him like it is and its gonna hurt, I know. I realize I cannot ever talk to see him again. Its better that way. I refuse to have him manipulate me and that will be the last time ever! After all this, he may not care but at least I did something. Someone else is gonna have to witness to him, obviously I cannot be the one.

Which is a good bible to send him. I want something that is easy to read. Should I get one that has a study guide included? They are expensive!!!
    I like my pink women's NIV, I love the index in the back where you can search for scripture for the
    particular struggle you are having. It's almost falling apart.
    I know they have the same thing for men.
    BTW, our local Christian thrift store gives bibles away for free. Maybe you have one in your town?
    Jhn 15:4

“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

Please pray the Lord will make a way to my daughter's heart where there seems to be no way.

The Christian bookstores sell a nice, basic, NKJV Bible for $1-3, depending on where you shop.

Glad God was able to lead you. Sorry it wasn't as hoped.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here