Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepare for "the end" or exercise Faith? *merged*

Question Prepare for "the end" or exercise Faith? *merged*

I've seen several posts over the last few months saying we all need to prepare for whats coming. I've always believed no special preparation is necessary because the Lord will provide or take us home before it is too bad. Here is a Q&A from Jack Kelleys website that talks about the same thing.

What do you believe?

Q. In response to “Faith or Fear” I certainly understand everyone’s natural fear for the future what with all the events happening in our world today. Your short response of essentially: “don’t worry, have faith … God will provide” bothered me greatly. Yes, we are to maintain a solid faith in our Lord and His faithful provision for His own. However; there should be a balance. I believe He expects us to be “Preppers” once He has forewarned us! What’s wrong with preparing for the future with whatever wisdom you have? I can think of several times that the Lord sent word to His people to prepare. Noah, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, and David were all given warnings and told to prepare. It’s a godly thing to prepare. Being a “Prepper” is stepping out in faith. I’m a Berean.

A. The response I gave, “don’t worry, have faith … God will provide” was a direct quote from Jesus (Matt. 6:31-33).

Bereans searched the scripture to find the truth. What you’ve done is searched the scripture to find verses that justify your opinion. None of them are comparable because all of them concerned a temporary condition on Earth. What we’re dealing with is a permanent departure to Heaven.

Saying there needs to be a balance is like saying we need to mix faith with self reliance, which is not Biblical. If you want to exercise your faith by preparing, then stop storing up treasure on Earth and start storing it up in heaven (Matt. 6:19-20), because that’s where you’re going.

http://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bibl...ear-follow-up/
    Last edited by Steve53; November 16th, 2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added link citation
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Quote Originally Posted by Jlutz View Post
    Saying there needs to be a balance is like saying we need to mix faith with self reliance, which is not Biblical. If you want to exercise your faith by preparing, then stop storing up treasure on Earth and start storing it up in heaven (Matt. 6:19-20), because that’s where you’re going.
    Amen! So great it needed repeating.

Reminds me of something so wise I heard, the world tells us to be mature we have to be independent and do for ourselves.

Christianity tells us to mature in the Lord means to become more and more dependent on Him. The most mature believer is to the Lord like a suckling baby.

Thanks for posting, Jlutz!
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Are we not simply travelers in a foreign land?
    I accept nothing from man as truth...
    only that, One is the truth. (John 14-6)

Pre-Flood/Pre-Trib (Genesis 5-24)

Jack has really made me rethink my priorities as of late. I think he is right on the money about not storing up treasures on earth but treasures in Heaven. What is that 401k really going to get me in this lifetime that the Lord can't provide? What would happen if I took that money out and gave it to the Lord's work. Something to think about.

He has a great article on it on his website.
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Quote Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
    Indeed we are, and I for one, and ready to go home. This traveling is making me weary.
    Come Lord Jesus and bring us home soon!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast."
    Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

I may not be perfect, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!

God does not give us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. We are in the world not of it. We can rest assured in the promises of God.
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

Quote Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
    Some want ammo and cans of food in case God forgot how to provide for His own.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

I've seen several posts over the last few months saying we all need to prepare for whats coming. I've always believed no special preparation is necessary because the Lord will provide or take us home before it is too bad. Here is a Q&A from Jack Kelleys website that talks about the same thing.

What do you believe?

Q. In response to “Faith or Fear” I certainly understand everyone’s natural fear for the future what with all the events happening in our world today. Your short response of essentially: “don’t worry, have faith … God will provide” bothered me greatly. Yes, we are to maintain a solid faith in our Lord and His faithful provision for His own. However; there should be a balance. I believe He expects us to be “Preppers” once He has forewarned us! What’s wrong with preparing for the future with whatever wisdom you have? I can think of several times that the Lord sent word to His people to prepare. Noah, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, and David were all given warnings and told to prepare. It’s a godly thing to prepare. Being a “Prepper” is stepping out in faith. I’m a Berean.

A. The response I gave, “don’t worry, have faith … God will provide” was a direct quote from Jesus (Matt. 6:31-33).

Bereans searched the scripture to find the truth. What you’ve done is searched the scripture to find verses that justify your opinion. None of them are comparable because all of them concerned a temporary condition on Earth. What we’re dealing with is a permanent departure to Heaven.

I think Jack is absolutely right. We need to rely on the Lord for our needs as he will provide for us. I live in a hurricane prone area and we do take special precautions to have the tools on hand that we might need like chainsaws for cutting down fallen trees, etc. but I've never gone out and bought weeks worth of food as a result, nor months for that matter. There is no large 50 pound bags of beans on my kitchen floor. I've seen some advocating practically building arks and silos for food. That's not exercising faith, that depending on ones self. We can't do a single thing on our own, our power and source comes from the Lord not of ourselves.

Forget the doomsday DVDs and manuals, the Lord will provide, we just need to have unshakeable faith. We are promised not to experience his wrath. The other stuff we can deal with like we always have.

Jack has really made me rethink my priorities as of late. I think he is right on the money about not storing up treasures on earth but treasures in Heaven. What is that 401k really going to get me in this lifetime that the Lord can't provide? What would happen if I took that money out and gave it to the Lord's work. Something to think about.

Right on friend!! I never had a 401K or did I ever keep much of a savings account. Life never afforded me the chance, and I have found that I did not really need them. I am retired, and happily content with what my Father has provided to me.

A funny story: I was wanting to bake halibut for my son, (who caught it) and needed 1 ingredient, lemon pepper. But no money for a trip to the store. That day I walked past the give-away table in our apartment building and someone put there the bottle of lemon pepper I wanted.

I have had this experience repeated with bread, other food items, calendars, and a step stool (which came up to my door, out of the clear blue, right whan I needed it and no sooner, carried by a neighbor), and it always facinates me how those items appear on that table when they are needed, and not a moment too soon.

And no it is not a magic table, but God moved in the hearts of other senior residents at the necessary moment. And I am just as convinced that He moved me to put an unwanted item out for others and had them just as blessed as I was. I crocheted a bunch of hats for winter this year and they all dissappeared in a day ot two.

Trust God to provide, and you will be endlessly facinated by what He comes up with and how He gets it to you.
    I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

Quote Originally Posted by Sandee View Post

Right on friend!! I never had a 401K or did I ever keep much of a savings account. Life never afforded me the chance, and I have found that I did not really need them. I am retired, and happily content with what my Father has provided to me.

A funny story: I was wanting to bake halibut for my son, (who caught it) and needed 1 ingredient, lemon pepper. But no money for a trip to the store. That day I walked past the give-away table in our apartment building and someone put there the bottle of lemon pepper I wanted.

I have had this experience repeated with bread, other food items, calendars, and a step stool (which came up to my door, out of the clear blue, right whan I needed it and no sooner, carried by a neighbor), and it always facinates me how those items appear on that table when they are needed, and not a moment too soon.

And no it is not a magic table, but God moved in the hearts of other senior residents at the necessary moment. And I am just as convinced that He moved me to put an unwanted item out for others and had them just as blessed as I was. I crocheted a bunch of hats for winter this year and they all dissappeared in a day ot two.

Trust God to provide, and you will be endlessly facinated by what He comes up with and how He gets it to you.
    Sandee, thank you for sharing this neat story about how our awesome God blesses us. In everything give thanks not only at Thanksgiving, but all through the year. We had an experience today on a lovely day for a garage sale. We had just starting putting tables out & a man came up buying several items which started our day as a grand opening. At the end of the day we had a lady in an electric scooter buy some fabric, and some other items. I thought of how the beginning & ending of our day selling was the best. It made me think of Jesus is the Alpha & Omega. I also raised my hand toward heaven saying thank you Jesus! It is amazing how he sends others to bless us. He is right on time providing our needs.
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

Here in Australia, the government won't let us touch our superannuation (the equivalent to your 401K) until we reach 65! My superannuation adviser keeps telling me I need to put more in the account to make sure I have enough when I retire. Given the signs of the times and the fact retirement is some decades away, I don't believe it will be a problem.

I too have felt a significant shift in my priorities lately. The Holy Spirit is directing each one of us and I believe time is short. Sadly, many other churches and even believers are wrapped up in the lies of global warming and other earthly related problems. Yes, there are important issues to address each day, but our overriding role is to be the salt and light of the earth. As the days grow darker, we need to make sure our light shines brighter!

What a WONDERFUL thread! Thank you, all! Back when my mother died (2000) my brother (now currently living in Australia) and I were preparing to sell the house (my father was in a nursing home). It was truy amazing how both he and I didn't fret over the material things. We both said it's just stuff. Of course, we kept the things most sentimental to us, but considering everything, we really kept very little. Our Lord is so very, very awesome! I'm so ready to go Home to be with Him, and all of you, forever!!!
    Now when these things begin to take place, look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near Luke21:28

Cindy

It all comes down to motivation. While I understand questioning having a 401k.. (I don't have one) and other earthly treasures that take away our focus on obtaining our treasures in heaven, there is another side. I believe the Lord leads some people to stock up on food, etc. Its not as much as a self survival thing as it is that I want to be able to help others nearby (primarily unsaved friends and neighbors) if things go south and they can't get food. I see it as a witnessing and serving opportunity.

If the Lord leads some to stock up for something coming down the pike, its not a failure of faith as many of you would lead some to believe. He DOES provide for our needs and I've seen Him provide in some very unexpected and awesome ways for us. And many times He provides for our needs through other believers who are listening to the Holy Spirit.

So it, like so many other things, comes down to the motivation in our hearts and "why" we are doing something. If we stock up out of fear and lack of faith or trust, that is wrong. But if we stock up because we feel led to and its, not out of fear, but the possibility of being there to help others, then that's ok too. Don't automatically assume a believer is operating out of fear and lack of trust if they discuss stocking up on the basics. That well may not be the case.

ps. And stocking up on ammo isn't a bad thing for self protection. Especially for some of us who live in areas where wild animals aren't the only things roaming around. Wisdom is a needed asset in every situation and doesn't show a lack of faith or trust in the Lord either.
    "Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."Isaiah 40:31

The Son of man had nowhere to lay his head.Long ago I read that and immediately comprehended its deep meaning. The very best we can do, is the same. We've oppossed this kind of movement for a long time and will continue. Trust in the Lord for His provision, whether little or much, you'll never be disatisfied.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

When all this life has to offer is stripped away - It's just you and the Lord.

I can't think of any better company to keep, and I can think of nothing else I need.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

It is all about choices.Where do you choose to spend your eternity?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandee View Post

"I don't get it. Every time I set my stuff down near apartment #5 for a moment, it disappears!" ---
    "We have no defenses against space junk, people!" - Take me away!

*Ask me about my testimony!*

I think both...........faith in God to take care of us, first. But, there is nothing wrong with preparing, either, to a point. God certainly had Noah prepare ahead for the flood........ he took two of each animal aboard, so he must have taken food for them, too. And, for the humans on board. He told Noah how to build the ark so it would float. Let's face it, none had ever been built before that. I mean that was one hundred years of prepartion!!!

I have supplies to feed dh and I for quite a while, should anything happen. Sharing it with family will shorten the time frame, and feeding neighbors will shorten it again. But, I stocked up to do any or all of the above. I rotate it out..........and, should there be a world catatrophe, an earthquake of any size (which we are prone to here in So Cal) or shortage of cash....we're set for a little while anyway. Not a bad thing at all..........

jlutz, thank you for this thread. It's a welcome change from some of the endless survivalist-tinged discussions seen here in the past.

For those who defend planning for disasters, having some provisions on hand in case of emergencies is always prudent. Several years ago I was very glad I had firewood, coffee, canned soup, and a battery-op radio on hand during a nasty storm & flooding that lasted 3 days.

But I think the OP was making reference to Christians who are secretly worried a government breakdown will happen before the rapture. Others suspect they will have to go through the Tribulation and believe they can survive with careful planning.

They may not admit it but when believers talk about stocking up on water purification pills, exotic camping gear, and food that will last for years it's a major hint they aren't relying on God.

We stand with Israel
    Genesis 12 verse 3

Default Trusting in God and God gives direction

I believe it's both, to have faith in God is certainly leaning on Him who gives us the helper, well to me it makes sense, depending on your situation, on where you live, like us here in the northern country, we stock up in case we can't make it to town, or just being ready for bad weather, snowed in for days or what have ya. We products of many who went thru the dirty 30's, years ago, where one just did everything they could to save and make it thru tough times, Well I think we are in tuff times, many are out of work, losing homes and such, if God gives you the idea to put up food, firewood, or making improvements to your homes to be warmer and less energy users, who of us can say God isn't directing another to do such things, maybe you are to prepare for others who are yet to come?
    For myself and mom here, we were given a real nice home for a such a price that to me, only God could have done for us, it's not a normal thing, yet we are in a real struggle with a cousin who is trying to take us down and hurt us, but I'm still planning on finishing our basement with another living quarters as I believe it's what God has put on my heart and I've been blessed in aquiring things I need to finish the project, it's taking me a while, because of lack of an income, but we are getting by, we put up a lot of veggies in the freezer and canned a lot also, just because we are in a bit of need, I could grow the veggies to help us make it thru the winter months here. Ya know, some are hoarding, putting up bomb shelters and stock piling food, I'm not sure that's really trusting in God, yet, how do we know, that when the rapture comes, that other might be directed by God to find those places, for a bit of safety and maybe God's word will be present as well, for those who will come to the LORD during the tribulation...God is wonderful and mysterious, HE's beyond our understanding, so keeping faith in God and listening to what God may place in your heart and mind, but it should follow God's ways of teaching, not placing our treasures here on earth, but maybe be prepared for again, a situation or maybe future left behind child who will cherish God moving them to a place of need or so...