Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery: Whales in the desert

Default Mystery: Whales in the desert

Whales in the desert: Fossil bonanza poses mystery

By EVA VERGARA and IAN JAMES | AP 4 hrs ago
    11/20/11

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) More than 2 million years ago, scores of whales congregating off the Pacific Coast of South America mysteriously met their end.

Maybe they became disoriented and beached themselves. Maybe they were trapped in a lagoon by a landslide or a storm. Maybe they died there over a period of a few millennia. But somehow, they ended up right next to one another, many just meters (yards) apart, entombed as the shallow sea floor was driven upward by geological forces and transformed into the driest place on the planet.

Experts say other groups of prehistoric whales have been found together in Peru and Egypt, but the Chilean fossils stand out for their staggering number and beautifully preserved bones. More than 75 whales have been discovered so far including more than 20 perfectly intact skeletons.

They provide a snapshot of sea life at the time, and even include what might have been a family group: two adult whales with a juvenile between them.

"I think they died more or less at the same time," said Nicholas Pyenson, curator of fossil marine mammals at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.

Other unusual creatures found elsewhere in the fossil-rich Atacama Desert include an extinct aquatic sloth and a seabird with a 5-meter (17-foot) wingspan, bigger than a condor's.

Erich Fitzgerald, a vertebrate paleontologist at Museum Victoria in Melbourne, Australia, emailed that the latest find is very significant.

Hans Thewissen, an expert on early whales, agreed. Another scenario, he said, is that the whales might have gathered in a lagoon and then an earthquake or storm could have closed off the outlet to the ocean.

"Subsequently the lagoon dries up and the whales die," said Thewissen, a professor of anatomy at Northeast Ohio Medical University. He said the accumulation of so many complete skeletons is "a very unusual situation."

"If this were a lagoon that dried up, you might see signs that ocean water evaporated," such as crystallized salt and gypsum in the rock, said Thewissen, who is not involved in the research. "On the other hand, if a giant wave or storm flung the whales onto shore, it would also have pushed the ocean floor around, and you would see scour marks in the rocks."

Dating fossils is complicated, experts said, and it will be very hard to distinguish dates precisely enough to determine whether the whales all died simultaneously.

http://news.yahoo.com/whales-desert-...135321328.html

Sounds like Noah's flood got them to me...
    Please pray for my unsaved loved-ones. Time is short.

Quote Originally Posted by grace-saved View Post

Quote Originally Posted by grace-saved View Post
    Bingo.
    "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." - 1 Corinthians 15:26

The flood! Genesis.

Israel

We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism.
    It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.
    - Professor Richard Lewontin; geneticist and self-proclaimed Marxist

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created...

Genesis 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

- as dictated to Moses by the Lord High God Himself

Yep, it was the flood.

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!

Yes, sounds like the flood. There is so much evidence for the flood and so many good books written on the subject.

On a related note, it is interesting, too, that after further study and weighing the evidence, a number of formerly evolutionary scientists became creationists. There is even an organization formed by creation scientists called the Creation Research Society. They believe in special creation and the flood. If interested, they are at: http://www.creationresearch.org/

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Thought it might be useful for those who are interested in flood and creation matters to have some related links, including information on creation museums to visit:

-Answers in Genesis, http://www.answersingenesis.org/ In addition to the biblical answers to numerous creation, religion and issues questions mentioned above, also offers links to myriad national parks, aquariums, zoos, large-scale rock-strata sites, creation museums and/or related opportunities for exploration and study around the world, see: http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...n-destinations
    -7 Wonders Creation Museum near Mt. St. Helens, http://7wonders.nwcreation.net/ (Creation apologetics museum focusing on the geology of Mt. St. Helens.)
    -Creation Museum, http://creationmuseum.org/ (Creation museum in Petersburg, KY.)
    -Creation Research Society, http://creationresearch.org/ (International professional organization of trained scientists and interested laypersons who believe in scientific special creation.)
    -Evidence for God from Science, http://www.godandscience.org/ (Numerous articles on numerous subjects of Christian and world interest.)
    -Institute for Creation Research, http://www.icr.org/ (Seminars, conferences, graduate school, publications, museum.)
    -Life and Light Foundation, http://lifeandlightfoundation.org/ (Creation museum in Santee, CA.)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

The great flood for sure.

It's no mystery to those of us who have revelation given to us through God's Word and His Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    Yes, sounds like the flood. There is so much evidence for the flood and so many good books written on the subject.

On a related note, it is interesting, too, that after further study and weighing the evidence, a number of formerly evolutionary scientists became creationists. There is even an organization formed by creation scientists called the Creation Research Society. They believe in special creation and the flood. If interested, they are at: http://www.creationresearch.org/
    oh, but you clearly don't understand, creation science is a joke, and it's clearly not worthy to be called TRUE science.
    Quoth the atheist troll.
    "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." - 1 Corinthians 15:26

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    oh, but you clearly don't understand, creation science is a joke, and it's clearly not worthy to be called TRUE science.
    Quoth the atheist troll.
    Yes, Rei, their attitude is so sad.

The truth has always been readily visible
    Rom 1:20-22 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

What amazes me is that many schoolteachers and professors continue to dupe otherwise bright students into believing that life and the conditions for life "just happened," especially now with (just to mention a few such things as: (1) the huge numbers of fossils (such as these whale fossils) that have been found since Darwin's time and still no transitionary forms (which Darwin himself admitted were needed to prove his theory), (2) with the ability to see beyond the complex order already visible to the naked eye, into even more incredible order visible through technological advances with high-powered microscopes (e.g., it has been discovered that a single cell is more complex than a large city), and (3) the numerous indications that the earth is far younger than is often taught. All this and the incredible intricacy and order in the structure of many multiple thousands of living beings, in the order of the universe, in the exact placement of the earth and the sun (i.e., conducive to life) and the forces at work governing them--there is no way it could all have happened just by chance.

So, although knowledge has increased, many still refuse to see the truth
    Dan 12:4 . . . "even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."
    Zec 7:11 “But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and stopped up their ears.”
    Rom 1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.

If they would only accept that salvation is so simple, that it is available to all of us, and that all of us have sinned
    Rom 3:23-24 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
    Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    Ezek 18:32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

How heartbreaking that so many will finally see the truth the hard way and forever wish they had accepted the free gift of salvation instead of tossing it away.....
    Romans 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

______

Da Flood!!!
    [url]www.valleyviewchurch.org

Flood!!!!
    I love our Lord so much---Simple & Reliable! Leave it to humans to confuse the obvious!
    Clowns......
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Apostasy

But those scientists can't admit to the flood. That is too obvious; it would mean the Bible is true, God is true, Jesus is true, and they just can't say that; its against their new age, humanistic, environmental religion!
    I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

Quote Originally Posted by Sandee View Post
    But those scientists can't admit to the flood. That is too obvious; it would mean the Bible is true, God is true, Jesus is true, and they just can't say that; its against their new age, humanistic, environmental religion!
    Still, come Judgement Day, they all will bow the knee and say,

Jesus Christ is Lord!

Fascinating article thanks.

I was taught evolution in school but one thing they don't teach is that human DNA is coiled in a helix in a CLOCKWISE manner
    and all other species of plants/animals have their DNA coiled in a helix in an ANTI-CLOCKWISE manner.

If evolution exists then all of our DNA, human AND animal AND plant DNA would be coiled in an identical direction. It isn't. My sister was studying biochemistry at University at the time told me of this anomaly.

I have never been able to accept evolution since, but I still had to repeat what I'd been taught in biology class to pass my exam.

And if evolution exists we are therefore constantly evolving. If so, then where are all the half human-half apes in the world today? (as a result of this constant evolution).

None exists to my knowledge.

I think some scientists apply logic when it suits them. And disregard it when it suits them too.

Flood, plain and simple.

Evolutionists would have you believe that those whales died and layed there for millions of years while the sedament layer covered them over at a rate of 1 inch or so for every million years give or take.

Tsk tsk This is God's Signature

Quote Originally Posted by live2love View Post
    Fascinating article thanks.

I was taught evolution in school but one thing they don't teach is that human DNA is coiled in a helix in a CLOCKWISE manner
    and all other species of plants/animals have their DNA coiled in a helix in an ANTI-CLOCKWISE manner.

If evolution exists then all of our DNA, human AND animal AND plant DNA would be coiled in an identical direction. It isn't. My sister was studying biochemistry at University at the time told me of this anomaly.

I have never been able to accept evolution since, but I still had to repeat what I'd been taught in biology class to pass my exam.

And if evolution exists we are therefore constantly evolving. If so, then where are all the half human-half apes in the world today? (as a result of this constant evolution).

None exists to my knowledge.

I think some scientists apply logic when it suits them. And disregard it when it suits them too.
    This is God's Signature on His Special Creation He made in His Own Image. God knew this day would come where man's intelligence would allow him to view the building blocks that make him the way he is, but also knew that man would deny this obvious imprint He made to indicate His Signature on Mankind themselvves.

Man's DNA has a right hand twist while plant/animal is a left hand twist, had this been discovered 50 to 100 years ago it would have made front page news
    and said something like:

Scientists Discover God's Signature As Proof Positive Man Is In Fact Created By God Himself.

Whereas these days they are so vain the majority of them in their own minds that something so obvious completely eludes their reasoning abilities.

live2love wrote:

Wow, that's cool! Hey, I know some atheists who'd I'd love to see try to respond to that - do you have a link or reference I can use?

Thanks-

Edward