Thread: Anyone familiar with 'The Voice of Elijah', Allen Friess, and/or Larry D. Harper?

Default Anyone familiar with 'The Voice of Elijah', Allen Friess, and/or Larry D. Harper?

I stumbled upon 'The Voice of Elijah' a few months back and recently starting reading one of the booklets they sent me called 'The AntiChrist'; the other two are 'Wanna Hear A Whopper?' and '7 Simple Steps to Salvation'. I started reading 'The AntiChrist' the other day and found it intriguing, but something hit me as a-miss early on: there was a statement made that the AntiChrist would be Jewish; I always thought the AntiChrist would be of Roman descent and perhaps the false prophet would be 'Jewish'....

I haven't read that much of the book but this struck me as odd.

Also, tonight I sat down and read a newsletter-type thing that came with each book and a few red flags went up; the first was that the author, Allen Friess, no longer believes that the Truth of the Last Days can be found in teachings of those who claim to be 'experts' in Bible prophecy; it suddenly 'hit him' that what if he, and the other Bible prophecy teachers/experts were 'wrong' in their perceptions of the Truth and what if Satan was using those 'Christian' bookstores, prophecy teachers, etc., to mislead people so they wouldn't know the 'real' Truth?

I found this intriguing but a bit odd; then he goes on to say how evidence of the End Times can only be found in a comprehensive understanding of the 'mystery' the Prophets concealed in the Old Testament. Then he goes on to state how the OT Prophets and Jesus used parabolic statements and riddles and how you must understand them parabolically in order to get the 'true' meaning. The key to understanding is being able to decipher the parabolic images and Hebrew Idioms that were used.

The gist of it is that just 'reading' the Bible won't allow you to 'unlock the insight' God meant for True Believers to have; you must learn this parabolic imagery and Hebrew idioms first, kind of like knowing a 'slang' term in a certain region of a state, like in the part of RI that I grew up in, a 'bubbler' was a 'water fountain' but an 'outsider' would not understand that b/c he's never heard of a 'bubbler' before............another example is a popular drink called the 'cabinet'; that's what we called milkshakes in our area and if we went into a restaurant and ordered a 'coffee cabinet', the waitstaff knew we meant 'coffee milkshake'............it was a 'Rhode Island thing'.....

..............sorry to ramble folks but what I'm trying to get at is this: it seems like this endeavor, The Voice of Elijah, seems to have some 'secret knowledge' or 'understanding' that's not obvious or available to everyone who studies the Bible. I have been taught to take the Bible for what it says and it will be evident if the writer is using similes, metaphors, idioms, etc.; ie, don't make it out to be something it's not; keep it simple; God said what He said for our understanding, not to trick us into performing linguistic gymnastics to unlock some 'mystery' that only the Prophets were privy to.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would provide feedback and shed some light on this; I don't want to be seduced by false doctrine, as I'm sure no one here does.

Thanks in advance
    Peace, love, life, and kindness to ALL of God's Creatures

Default Thanks for moving this.....

...I wasn't sure I'd posted it in the right place!! Sorry about that!

Um, I see that I wrote quite a lot, so you should get the summation first:

Don't bother with this guy. He probably adheres to Replacement Theology, but even if he doesn't you needn't bother.

I found the website for this organization, browsed around their Reading Room for awhile, and studied part of the July 1991 edition of The Voice of Elijah® in some detail.

One of the parts I read completely was the lead article, Did Jesus Leave a Will? In a nutshell, it took a long time to plow through a lot of complicated explication, much of which was interesting, but all of which only left me - how can I phrase this? - more knowledgeable in an academic sense but not more enlightened in a spiritual sense.

There was extensive wrangling over whether the Greek word variously translated as "covenant" or "testament" should have been translated consistently the same as the corresponding Hebrew word is usually translated in related OT passages. Long before I got to the author's resolution, I was wondering whether the technical differences between covenant and testament were really great enough to disrupt my understanding of the covenants and testaments under discussion. In the end - surprise! - that Greek word sometimes means both things simultaneously, adding richness like ambiguity in poetry. So my head knowledge may have gained slightly, but my spiritual discernment didn't.

Along the way, there was some discussion about how the covenant/testament was unbreakable because it met the structural requirements of a will in Roman law. Again, I found that of some intellectual interest, but excuse me: God created this entire universe, and if He had couched the terms of the OT and NT covenants and testaments in terms that would make them invalid and unenforceable under Roman law, they would still be valid and enforceable for me and any other human being who looked into them with open eyes. What do we care if some Roman Tribunal would have declared a Biblical covenant or testament invalid?

I read a few other sections completely, which didn't change my impression of more "head knowledge" but not more enlightenment. Unfortunately, I haven't yet had time to go back and read the other article starting on the front page, which I bypassed at the time because it had less pride of space but it turns out may have more bearing on the question of credibility. That other article is titled The Passover Parable, and a quick and very superficial skim seems to show that the author is relying on detailed knowledge of Egyptian mythology to gain a better understanding of the "Passover parable." Made me think, "Oh, like understanding Biblical prophecy better by reading Nostradamus, or by consulting the Mayan calendar?"

More ominously, part of this understanding is the realization that Jesus is Israel, and indeed I noticed in several locations the admonition, "See Not All Israel Is Israel" located elsewhere. My Spidey senses started tingling and I wondered whether we wouldn't find that not only Jesus is Israel but we Christians are the Body of Christ, so logically it follows that Replacement Theology is correct. My suspicions seem to be confirmed at the very end of the issue, where there appears an appeal to acquire the "book" (hopefully really a booklet) Not All Israel Is Israel. Check out the following:

---------------------------------------------

According to Scripture, Israel is the descendants of Jacob, heir to God's promise to the patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. But did you know that Scripture also says an individual could be "cut off from" Israel?

What if all Israel was "cut off?"

John the Baptist warned it could happen. (Matt. 3:10)
    The Apostle Paul said it did happen. (Rom. 11:11-24)

Here for the first time ever, in simple, easy-to-read English, one book finally explains this intricate message of Scripture hidden for so long in the Hebrew idiom. Read and discover for yourself how Not All Israel Is Israel.

---------------------------------------------

Well, maybe after interminable reading we'll find that the author really doesn't adhere to Replacement Theology, but in the meantime I would ask, "Why bother finding out?" Because even if the screed doesn't advocate RT, my guess is that you'll be at best a little more knowledgeable but not at all more enlightened.

P.S. Just one other thing.

The author waffled - I say waffled, just like a modern politician - when the Editor noted "We have had letters questioning what you think about such things as the 'pre-trib' position, the 'rapture,' and 'dominionist kingdom now' theology. ...." The author's response dragged on for one and three quarters pages of bafflegab concluding with the non-position, "But to respond specifically to your question, I am not 'pre-trib' or any other 'trib' when it comes to eschatology. My particular view is that you will never fully understand what God is going to do tomorrow until you understand all that He did yesterday. And I'm not there yet."

Default Well-said...........and...........

to my pleasant surprise, definitely along the lines I'd been thinking. The first book I started to read, 'The AntiChrist', was very verbose and seemed to go deeper and deeper into something until you had almost forgotten what the author was aiming to conclude.

It definitely has that academic feel to it, but you are spot-on when you said it seemed more 'intellectual' than 'enlightening'........I'm glad my gut feelings were confirmed and I had to stop myself from reading on b/c I don't want to get confused and more importantly, 'filled' w/ erroneous doctrine.

Thank you for checking this out for me; if you decide to keep reading, I'm very interested in what else you find; seems like something fishy, most definitely! Thanks again; your deft insight is very much appreciated!

Default Confirmed: Larry D. Harper is heavily into Replacement Theology and post-trib Rapture

Glad to be of some assistance, and you're quite welcome.

Want a little more assistance? Keep on reading.

I read about half way through Wanna Hear the Whopper the Liar Came up With?
    (I Doubt You’ll Believe It!)
    and skimmed over the rest. Here's the gist of it:

Confirming my earlier suspicions, Harper asserts that the Jews have been completely cut off and no longer have any part in God's plan, the Church has inherited all the promises, Jesus Christ is Israel and as part of the Body of Christ the Church is Israel as well. For one example of his thinking, check out Harper's explanation of Isaiah 37 (emphasis the author's, as was the emphasis including the shouting in the quotation near the end of my previous post, which I forgot to point out ):

"Let me show you just how stupid Darby's literal interpretation argument actually is. Every dispensationalist, including Darby, has interpreted Ezekiel's vision of the valley of dry bones (Ezek. 37) figuratively and understood the resurrection of Israel as a figurative description of the literal restoration of the Jews to the land of Palestine. Yet that is the one passage that speaks most clearly in terms of the parabolic imagery related to the literal resurrection of Israel, that is, the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ!"

Got that?

But it gets far worse. Harper goes on to claim that pre-trib dispensationalists are not just confused but are literally tools of Satan. We are a key part of Satan's plan to steer people away from the Truth and into eternal damnation. We are setting things up for people to misinterpret Satan's Abomination of Desolation as Jesus Christ rightfully claiming His throne, thereby setting them up to worship Satan, which is his fondest wish.

I learn something new about myself every day. Today was a bit more of a than most....

'Nuff said for a ?

Quote Originally Posted by son of dust View Post
    "Let me show you just how stupid Darby's literal interpretation argument actually is. Every dispensationalist, including Darby, has interpreted Ezekiel's vision of the valley of dry bones (Ezek. 37) figuratively and understood the resurrection of Israel as a figurative description of the literal restoration of the Jews to the land of Palestine. Yet that is the one passage that speaks most clearly in terms of the parabolic imagery related to the literal resurrection of Israel, that is, the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ!"
    And there is part of the writers problem right there. For as smart as he thinks he is he goes to the "Darby came up with pretrib rapture" theory.

Replacement theology, special hidden knowledge only they can interpret? Sounds like the beginnings of a cult
    Romans 16:17-18
    King James Version (KJV)

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
    For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

pattie Guest

Default Re: Voice of Elijah

I have a friend that has begun to subscribe to voice of elijah (VOE) publications. I read many of them and found him very difficult to follow. He often insults the reader. He claims that the oral teaching of the Apostolic fathers were lost by the church and that those in church are all the pretenders. He never tells you what "the truth" is. I did contact their organization via email and asked more about how their organization works. I did receive a reply stating I had to subscribe to his monthly mailings and read all of his past literature. After several months of that if I wanted to know the truth I could apply. Once Harper determined I was a true believer I could receive further teaching but only orally. I would also have to sign a nondisclosure agreement. He speaks in great detail also about parabolic imagery.

I have spent a great deal of time searching more about this group and voe. I have only found a few forums like this. I have contacted many in the hopes of someone doing further research into this group. I do believe it is a cult. There is so much info out there about mainstream cults (Mormon, Jehovah Witness, Scientology etc) I wish there was a resource for us regarding VOE. I know there are many other out there leaving their home churches to follow this man's teaching. It makes me quite sad. (p.s. He is also writing his translation of the Bible.)

Thanks for the information, pattie, and welcome to the Rapture Ready board!

Is your friend falling for this VOE stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by pattie View Post
    I have a friend that has begun to subscribe to voice of elijah (VOE) publications. I read many of them and found him very difficult to follow. He often insults the reader. He claims that the oral teaching of the Apostolic fathers were lost by the church and that those in church are all the pretenders. He never tells you what "the truth" is. I did contact their organization via email and asked more about how their organization works. I did receive a reply stating I had to subscribe to his monthly mailings and read all of his past literature. After several months of that if I wanted to know the truth I could apply. Once Harper determined I was a true believer I could receive further teaching but only orally. I would also have to sign a nondisclosure agreement. He speaks in great detail also about parabolic imagery.

I have spent a great deal of time searching more about this group and voe. I have only found a few forums like this. I have contacted many in the hopes of someone doing further research into this group. I do believe it is a cult. There is so much info out there about mainstream cults (Mormon, Jehovah Witness, Scientology etc) I wish there was a resource for us regarding VOE. I know there are many other out there leaving their home churches to follow this man's teaching. It makes me quite sad. (p.s. He is also writing his translation of the Bible.)
    Giant red flag anytime a new group decides they must write their own translation. Usually means they are going to "translate" it to say what they want it to mean. I pray your friend finds the directions away from this group and into the light of Truth.
    Romans 16:17-18
    King James Version (KJV)

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
    For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Quote Originally Posted by pattie View Post

Welcome to the board!

We encourage new members to head to the "new members" forum and share a bit about themselves. Your testimony is good to share, and perhaps how you found us here at rr, interests, etc...

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Default Thank you all....

....I had a feeling VOE was 'bad news' even though it's been awhile since I've checked the replies to this thread.....I actually burned all of the VOE reading material I had received; I didn't want it around in case, after the Rapture, that our house gets invaded and someone actually thinks it's truth, etc.

Very interesting and insightful comments by everyone; thanks so much for your thoroughness; you guys are awesome!! Won't be much longer til we're all together! xoxo

Default The Voice of Elijah and Larry Harper

I was doing some research and came across VOE, and I have found his writings very helpful. I may not agree with every little detail, and sometimes presentation methods, but....I don't agree with myself 100% of the time - none of us should.

I was discovering some things myself before I read his stuff. We cannot read the Scriptures with preconceived ideas, that's not inductive Bible Study. We cannot read the Scriptures with a theological filter, trying to fit what we read into our little grid.

To accuse him of Replacement Theology is too simplistic. I agree with him that Jesus is Israel. He's not the only source of my conclusion - Russell Moore has come to the same conclusion, and this is what Justin Martyr taught. I'm no longer a dispensationalist, though that's what I was taught for years, at church, Bible School, and seminary. But it's a long story of my journey. The second half of Isaiah is clear that the Messiah, Yahweh's Servant, is Israel - check it out for yourself.

Israel was cut-off, and Jesus is the root of Jesse - Isaiah 6:13 calls Him the "stump" that remains, He is the remnant. The beginning of Matthew's Gospel clearly spells out that Jesus is Israel. I could say much more, but I'll wait to see if anyone is really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by akersrna View Post
    I was doing some research and came across VOE, and I have found his writings very helpful. I may not agree with every little detail, and sometimes presentation methods, but....I don't agree with myself 100% of the time - none of us should.

I was discovering some things myself before I read his stuff. We cannot read the Scriptures with preconceived ideas, that's not inductive Bible Study. We cannot read the Scriptures with a theological filter, trying to fit what we read into our little grid.

To accuse him of Replacement Theology is too simplistic. I agree with him that Jesus is Israel. He's not the only source of my conclusion - Russell Moore has come to the same conclusion, and this is what Justin Martyr taught. I'm no longer a dispensationalist, though that's what I was taught for years, at church, Bible School, and seminary. But it's a long story of my journey. The second half of Isaiah is clear that the Messiah, Yahweh's Servant, is Israel - check it out for yourself.

Israel was cut-off, and Jesus is the root of Jesse - Isaiah 6:13 calls Him the "stump" that remains, He is the remnant. The beginning of Matthew's Gospel clearly spells out that Jesus is Israel. I could say much more, but I'll wait to see if anyone is really interested.
    No we are not at all interested in your misinterpreted view of scripture. Jesus is not Israel, the church is not Israel, only Israel is Israel. We are clearly a dispensationalist board and the things you are talking about are clearly against the forum rules. I encourage you to stick around and read though, you could learn a lot if you ask the Holy Spirit to help you discern the truth.
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Quote Originally Posted by akersrna
    I could say much more, but I'll wait to see if anyone is really interested.
    Nope. http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=2
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Default Voice of Elijah/VOE/Larry D. Harper group cult/secret society

Characteristics of a Cult:

1. Extrabiblical revelation – we have been given the truth that no one else has, and it corrects the Bible

2. Single leadership that knows the truth –only the leader knows the real truth, everyone else has been deceived

3. Exclusive salvation – everyone else is wrong; we are the only true believers

4. Limited eschatology/salvation – we and we alone will be saved

Voice of Elijah

1. Secret “Apostolic Teaching” that was lost to previous generations, but has now been revealed to Larry D. Harper; this teaching provides the “only” and “true” way to read the Bible, effectively throwing away all previous biblical teaching and foundations, allowing Larry to reinterpret the Bible on his own terms. (Voice of Elijah requires its members to sign non-disclosure agreements in order to maintain the inner secrecy of the “new interpretations.”)

2. Larry is the sole leader and authority for truth in the Voice of Elijah organization

a. Only he can interpret the Bible and only he has the true “Apostolic Teaching”

b. All other churches and biblical teaching has been corrupted due to “Satanic lies”

3. All those in the VoE organization know the truth about the Bible, whereas all other “Christians” are being led astray by the Devil towards worship of the Anti-Christ

4. Based on the above fact, those in the VoE believe that only those in the VoE will be saved since all others will be deceived into following the Anti-Christ

In its present stage, the Voice of Elijah organization clearly and openly meets four critical criteria of a cult. What is more damaging is the outcome of these cultic characteristics.

1. If the Bible is incomplete/corrupt, then “new revelation/interpretation” has no set boundaries for correct interpretation. Unfortunately, this leads to radical revision of previously Christian doctrines. Given this license of interpretation, no concept is off-limits – the Bible can “reveal” anything that Harper “finds.” The non-disclosure agreement keeps anything radical from being publicized to potential new members.

2. Harper has sole authority so that no one is able to correct him. If he “discovers” a new, extreme, and/or potentially controversial doctrine, then no one has the authority to say that he is wrong. Thus, given Harper’s attempt to base His authority in a trusted source of God, he can make any new doctrine he “interprets” mandatory on the authority of God. Anyone in the organization would be required to listen to his sole and supreme authority without possibility of question.

3. Retreatist mentality leads to opposition mentality. By claiming that everyone else is wrong, this opens the door to attack/defense – the group members begin to attack other people’s ideas and institutions openly and potentially violently, as well as isolating themselves behind walls and armed guards. This facilitates trust in the leader as the group is viewed more and more as the “safe haven” against the horrific world.

4. If everyone in the organization is going to be saved and everyone else is going to Hell, radical action can be justified towards others, including strict requirements within the compound in order to “prove” your loyalty/salvation and/or to remain “pure” over and against doctrinal/group corruption at the risk of being cut off from God.

All in all, these concepts lead to the open and explicit justification of extreme actions – any radical concept can be accepted and incorporated because the leader is correct and all others are liars and “out to get you.”

This has never ended well. The absolute power of the leader, especially as a religious figure, brings corruption of morality and Biblical truth. As the Bible is edited and all other authorities are silenced, historically, the cult becomes radical in its thinking and actions. In order to preserve itself and aggrandize its leader, decision and actions become more and more deviant from normal society, as well as moral standards, and extreme.

Voice of Elijah in specific:

The VoE from the outside does not seem particularly dangerous at this moment. Misguided would be an apt description at the very least, though, because the pamphlets do seem like a legitimate attempt at determining God’s message to the world. However, Harper’s conclusions about how to interpret and the extremes that may come with it arise some serious suspicion. The “Next Step” program appears to be especially geared towards building an inner community of followers that completely adhere to the teachings of Larry Harper. The issues concerned like the requirements for membership, financial payment, and non-disclosure agreement seem especially capable of creating a situation where a select following may become indoctrinated and begin to become more extreme.

The most concerning fact is the sheer lack of information. If there are any particular teachings of Harper that are more radical, they are not publicized. Moreover, no one that supports the group reveals anything more than a broad-stroke concept of the “corrupted” teachings of the church and that VoE has the truth. (That sign alone is a subtle indicator of full and obedient adherence to VoE.) These issues raise suspicion because one cannot help but wonder “What is happening behind closed doors that no one is allowed to discuss openly?” The old adage that those with secrets have something to hide may ring true.

On the other hand, this might just be another person desperate for people to listen to him and agree with him, but with no actual physical or psychological danger to anyone. The theological damage seems to be obvious, however.

· Larry D. Harper is the sole interpreter of the Bible with his “Apostolic Teaching” and the “Teachings of Moses” and the sole author of books/pamphlets

· Non-disclosure agreement for continued information

. Larry D. Harper is in the process of translating the Bible. His translation is called Harper Standardized Study Bible.

· Legitimate non-profit organization that also sells various Christian supplies with an income of nearly $500,000 (?)

· Located in Rockwall, Texas

There was an online forum regarding VOE and there were a few posts from those that started the next step program but left. I would love to hear from those that were in the program in the past that would like to shed some light on this organization.