Thread: Can you copy RR to disk?

Default Can you copy RR to disk?

Some on RR have posted their beliefs that RR may be shut down during the Tribulation.

A while back a professional computer/website expert here was kind enough to answer my question about copying websites to disk. At the time, I was interested in copying a small, simple website onto disk, but I gather from what he said that copying a big site like RR to disk might be complicated(?).

In Todd's January 2, 2012, Nearing Midnight article, he mentions that RR is 1 gigabyte in size. I checked my DVD RW disks and they are 4.7 GB. Todd says at the bottom of the home page that it is okay to copy RR articles. Is there an easy way to copy ALL of RR to a disk to keep with one's left-behind resources or to give away? That could prove especially handy if RR was indeed deleted during the Tribulation.

I would love to copy RR to disk if it was simple enough for me to understand how to do it and wouldn't require saving each of the ["over 32,000"! ] articles individually. My computer skills are very basic, so the instructions would have to be very, VERY simple.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Here you go....

http://www.httrack.com/

You can use WinHTtrak for Windows and WebHTTrack for Linux/Unix/BSD....

Thank you, macrohard. I am embarrassed to admit that somebody else recommended that program to me also, but I am reluctant/afraid when it comes to downloading programs to my computer. I downloaded something a while back and it wiped out one of my favorite programs. (my recovery function doesn't work, so I wasn't able to get it back). My computer skills are mostly self-taught and very limited and it takes very little for me to be in over head.

So, is there a simple (very simple) way I could copy RR to disk without downloading a program?

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Nothing is ever simple, but you could also try this.

http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

It will run In Windows, but here is a good tutorial on it on how it runs in Linux

http://linuxreviews.org/quicktips/wget/

If you want to get the whole banana in a sense, I really would recommend HTTrack. You could just practice on say a simple webpage, and then get familiarized on how it works.

I've used the Linux version before in Ubuntu, and really liked it.

I went ahead and bookmarked httrack. It's not something I would use now, but at least I know to keep it in mind should I get a new computer. Once I have a last-known-good-configuration backup recovery system that works, I would feel more comfortable with downloads and experimenting. Thank you, macrohard.

______

No problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    Some on RR have posted their beliefs that RR may be shut down during the Tribulation.

A while back a professional computer/website expert here was kind enough to answer my question about copying websites to disk. At the time, I was interested in copying a small, simple website onto disk, but I gather from what he said that copying a big site like RR to disk might be complicated(?).

In Todd's January 2, 2012, Nearing Midnight article, he mentions that RR is 1 gigabyte in size. I checked my DVD RW disks and they are 4.7 GB. Todd says at the bottom of the home page that it is okay to copy RR articles. Is there an easy way to copy ALL of RR to a disk to keep with one's left-behind resources or to give away? That could prove especially handy if RR was indeed deleted during the Tribulation.

I would love to copy RR to disk if it was simple enough for me to understand how to do it and wouldn't require saving each of the ["over 32,000"! ] articles individually. My computer skills are very basic, so the instructions would have to be very, VERY simple.
    I know this is an old thread but it interested me as I also wanted to copy the website too - for those unfortunate to be left behind.

I tried and tried with HHTrack with no joy. It kept coming up with error messages. I could copy the site to my hard disk but not to a cd disk or memory stick. I asked my neighbour and he did it easily.

At the top left hand side of the screen there is a blue "v-shaped" icon. Next to it, on the right is the web address of rapture ready rr-bb.com....

I was going to save the website onto a disk or memory stick as this method works for both.

What he did was to

i) click on your start button
    ii) double click on computer icon - which shows the status of your pc
    iii) shrink the web page so it doesn't fill the screen.
    iv) click and drag the blue "v-shaped" icon to where you want to save it eg memory stick or disc.

And that's it. The whole lot is saved.

I've left them my user name and password so they can navigate the site more easily.

And I'm useless at technology too and I could do it.

So whatever works for you is great.
    Isaiah 43:1-3 Romans 10:9 John 6:35 John 6:40

I copy and paste articles into a word or Open office document and put it all into a single folder. Then I save to disc all the documents.

I especially have done this to much of Jack Kelley's stuff at Grace Thru Faith, besides stuff I find here or on the internet.

This way I avoid it being to complicated.
    Psalm 30:11-12 (New King James Version)

11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
    You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
    12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

Pre-Flood!
    Thanks for the citizen title Hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by live2love View Post
    I know this is an old thread but it interested me as I also wanted to copy the website too - for those unfortunate to be left behind.

I tried and tried with HHTrack with no joy. It kept coming up with error messages. I could copy the site to my hard disk but not to a cd disk or memory stick. I asked my neighbour and he did it easily.

At the top left hand side of the screen there is a blue "v-shaped" icon. Next to it, on the right is the web address of rapture ready rr-bb.com....

I was going to save the website onto a disk or memory stick as this method works for both.

What he did was to

i) click on your start button
    ii) double click on computer icon - which shows the status of your pc
    iii) shrink the web page so it doesn't fill the screen.
    iv) click and drag the blue "v-shaped" icon to where you want to save it eg memory stick or disc.

And that's it. The whole lot is saved.

I've left them my user name and password so they can navigate the site more easily.

And I'm useless at technology too and I could do it.

So whatever works for you is great.
    I am embarrassed to say that I still (at least at this moment) don't understand, however, I copied your notes to a file for potential later reference. Thank you! I'm glad you were able to copy it!

______

Actually Tiger Lily, my PC crashed after only 13 months and my very kind neighbour fixed it for me.

I would have had to take it to a technician otherwise and it would have cost me "an arm and a leg" to get it fixed. I truly am useless at technology as all of my friends and family will confirm.

It's lovely having kind neighbours.

He showed me what to do and it was as truly simple as I said.

Just get a memory stick or disk, reduce the rapture ready forum so it fits about half of the screen. (This is the button next to the red cross at the top right hand side of the screen).

Then click the start button on your PC

then on the menu, go to the part which reads computer.

Double click on this where it says computer. A new window opens up and this shows the properties of your PC, memory available etc.

Then click and drag the little picture that resembles a blue v and drag it so it is on top of where you want to copy the forum to. This could be a usb stick or a cd-disk. (I copied mine to a usb stick).

Once it has finished copying, the PC will say so, then you're finished.

If you're using a usb/memory stick then right click on the relevant icon (at the bottom part of the screen - on my PC it is blue- it is on the same elevation as the start button) and click the 'safe to remove external memory' message that comes up. If you don't do this then the usb stick can become corrupted.

And that's you finished.

If you still can't do it, PM me and I can talk you through it. (It's no problem).

Also please note, I'd like to thank all those who put in their time and effort in researching how to copy the forum. I just couldn't figure out how to do it without having pages, literally, of error messages coming up. So thanks guys for your input.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, live2love, these instructions make more sense to me with the additional details. Appreciate your help

______

You are very Tiger Lily.

But being a technophobe (and a Luddite at heart) I forgot to say that when you click on the computer option (immediately after clicking on the start button) you have to reduce the size of that screen too.

Why? So you can copy the little blue v sign onto your usb/memory stick/disc. You see you get 2 windows on your screen at once, side by side. So you can copy one onto the other.

One of the windows is the computer status (size of memory etc etc) and the other is the rapture forum. So just click the v button and drag it to your disc/usb.

I hope it works though.

Thanks, live2love, I copied this info into my How-To file, also

______

Quote Originally Posted by live2love View Post
    Why? So you can copy the little blue v sign onto your usb/memory stick/disc. You see you get 2 windows on your screen at once, side by side. So you can copy one onto the other. One of the windows is the computer status (size of memory etc etc) and the other is the rapture forum. So just click the v button and drag it to your disc/usb. I hope it works though.
    Live2love, I'm afraid that method you described will NOT do what you are hoping to. That will only place a shortcut to the website and NOT COPY THE WHOLE THING TO DISK!!! So if the site does go down, you will have a shortcut that points to nothing.

To really copy the whole site you WILL need the aforementioned HHTrack program. I have used it many times before and can assure you it will not mess up your computer. Just make sure you download it from the official site (http://www.httrack.com/) and you have enough disk space for the site you wish to download. Trust me, I've been a sysadmin for over 8 years.

Thanks for that. My neighbour, who is good at PCs, said he copied it by opening internet explorer and dragging the icon to its destination. I wouldn't know as I crap at it. Sad but true.

I'll check my USB and if it is ol then great. If not, I'll try it again with the HTTrack. Hopefully I won't mess it up this time - but don't hold your breath
    (I really am that bad).