Thread: Is praying to punish someone Biblical?

LoveJesus Guest

Question Is praying to punish someone Biblical?

Some background: I am in the process of getting a divorce. My mother has put all the blame on my sister for “causing” it to happen (which is absolutely not true), to the point that she will no longer speak to her.

I was surprised to learn that my mother and a friend of hers have started praying a Catholic prayer called a “novena” where they are asking God to “take down” my sister, to “punish” her for what she has done (in their minds). Apparently they will keep praying this prayer until “something bad happens to her.”

Personally, I find this shocking and do not believe there is any biblical basis for this. I would love to hear any thoughts on this!

clearly not biblical as Jesus says to forgive 70x7, to love your neighbot, to turn the other cheek, to love your enemy and pray for them that do evil to you...ect

vengence is mine saith the Lord.
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Where the waving wheat, sure smells sweet!

Welcome LoveJesus!

Not biblical and I believe your mom is in need of a prayer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJesus View Post
    Some background: I am in the process of getting a divorce. My mother has put all the blame on my sister for “causing” it to happen (which is absolutely not true), to the point that she will no longer speak to her.

I was surprised to learn that my mother and a friend of hers have started praying a Catholic prayer called a “novena” where they are asking God to “take down” my sister, to “punish” her for what she has done (in their minds). Apparently they will keep praying this prayer until “something bad happens to her.”

Personally, I find this shocking and do not believe there is any biblical basis for this. I would love to hear any thoughts on this!
    Welcome to the 'board. I see this is your first post here; I'd like to encourage you to head over to the new members forum and share a little bit about yourself so everyone can get to know you. That is where most new members share their testimony, tell how they found Rapture Ready, etc...

As for the prayers, we live in the age of grace presently, and Jesus never taught His believers to pray in such manner.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Here's what Jesus has to say on the subject:
    Matthew 5:44
    Luke 6:28

I would show those verses to your Mom and ask her opinion.

I have a done-me-wrong list, people who hurt me and my husband. I make it a point to pray for them every day; pray GOOD THINGS like salvation, peace, good lives and all.

I did ask God for "justice" when I got mugged - and the mugger ran off. I know God will deal with him. I have Hebrews 10:30 for that.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

That sounds like some kind of a voo-doo thing.

While I do not pray for bad things to happen to people, I do have a "friend" who is cheating on his wife (I have a thread on it in this forum) and I do pray that God will not let him find rest, peace, or comfort in his sins.
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.
    ~2 Timothy 2:15

God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    Yep, most catholic prayers are either types of seances or voodoo hoodoo rituals.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

This type of prayer is not Biblical at all. The fruits of the spirit are definately not at work in this situation. The comment about this being "voodoo" sounds more like it. I don't beleive Jesus would want us to pray for bad things to happen to someone ( not ANYONE) . He wants us to be forgiving and patient with one another.

I find it really sad she is trying to invoke this on her own daughter.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    As a south Louisiana Cajun....... where voodoo is ingrained in much of the culture, I can tell you that this is not voodoo and certainly not hoodoo. The mother of LoveJesus is merely trying to get Jesus to do what she wants to do......... punish her other daughter for some perceived wrong. There was no mention of voodoo dolls or incantations or assistance from the dead. Asking God to do something outside of His scope is not voodoo..........it is a selfish misconception of who God is and what God does. Voodoo and hoodoo is very satanic and ritualisitic and a person asking God to punish someone (albeit very misguided) certainly does not rise to the level of something so dark and so sinister.

I don't know about y'all, but these things seem to boomerang. While what one man does may seem terrible, wanting punishment upon someone else can be worse, its a heart thing.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Bible

Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    I don't know about y'all, but these things seem to boomerang. While what one man does may seem terrible, wanting punishment upon someone else can be worse, its a heart thing.

Psalm 109:17-19
    He loved to curse others; now you curse him.
    He never blessed others; now don’t you bless him.
    Cursing is as natural to him as his clothing, or the water he drinks, or the rich food he eats.
    Now may his curses return and cling to him like clothing; may they be tied around him like a belt.”
    Matthew 6:14-15
    “If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
    Matthew 7:2
    For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.
    Mark 4:24-25
    Then he added, “Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.”
    To pray for the punishment of another is to pray for twice the judgment on yourself that you ask for them. To curse someone is to ask for a greater curse for yourself. Of course the catholic church isn't interested in Scripture, so they wouldn't know that if all they're going by is the tradition of mother church. Pray that God will have mercy on their ignorance and be willing to show them the truth so something terrible doesn't happen to them.

Forgive the people who wrong you in your life. Don't take abuse. You're not called to abuse and you're not commanded to sing kumbaya with anyone. In fact, it's beneficial to get away and distance yourself from people who trouble you! But as much as it depends on you forget the wrongs done to you, and rest assured many wrongs are due to come.

Matthew 5:39-42
    But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too. If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles. Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow.
    Proverbs 22:7
    Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender.
    This is what it means to turn the other cheek, not that we accept abuse. Doing intentional wrong to anyone is sin and God knows everything that everyone does. That's just life in this sin fallen world. We will all inevitably be the recipient of abuse and general evil. No doubt many have a tale or two to tell concerning that!

Let it go for your own sake and give your enemies and your accusers over to God. In dealing with such people, do more for them then they deserve. In this way you avoid trouble, you avoid judgment, and you give your enemies over for God to deal with. He can do so much more then we can.

Proverbs 25:21-22
    If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink. You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads, and the LORD will reward you.

It's not biblical OP.

Jesus ask us to forgive 70x7 and we're to also pray for those that despitefully uses us or hurt us, as well as bless them. I'm everyone still has someone they don't like or just not feeling; we are still to love them and pray for them to be blessed. The bible tells us so. Plus, Paul tells us that vengenance(sp?) is the Lord. God knows how we feel, regardless of whether or not we tell him but our reaction has an importance to it. Are we going to react in a godly way? or Are we going to react in the fleshly way? Especially when you're wondering when those particular people are going to get their just desserts so to speak but we shouldn't worry about that. The Lord sees all and vengenance is his and his alone.

Israel

I believe they are using these passages to justify their actions:

1 Timothy 1:18-20 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

I'm thinking that they are trying to deliver your sister to Satan based on this passage. It is Biblical, but Paul had a very close walk with the Lord, and was able to recognize a problem. Few catholics have walks with the Lord and quite frankly, I don't believe He takes much notice of their prayers.

How horrible that a mother would do this to her daughter, especially on an unjust basis. I fear for your mom more than your sister, this keeps running through my mind "Judge not lest ye be judged". The Lord knows the truth in this case, which can't be said for your mom. I think you need to engage in intercessory prayer for your mom that her eyes, and heart, be opened to the total Truth, not just of your sisters innocence, but also to the Truth of the Gospel, and for your sister as well that she would not be punished unjustly, even by her own mother.

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!

Actually I work with someone who gathers in homes and they perform actual voo-doo rituals.This person is from Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    I believe they are using these passages to justify their actions:

1 Timothy 1:18-20 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

I'm thinking that they are trying to deliver your sister to Satan based on this passage.
    The mother and her friend are wrong. At that, being catholic, they are not part of the church of Christ to do such a thing to begin with. Instead, they're invoking a ritual to punish the OPs sister. They are playing with fire and unless they stop that, they will be burned.

1 Corinthians 5:1-5
    I can hardly believe the report about the sexual immorality going on among you—something that even pagans don’t do. I am told that a man in your church is living in sin with his stepmother. You are so proud of yourselves, but you should be mourning in sorrow and shame. And you should remove this man from your fellowship.

Even though I am not with you in person, I am with you in the Spirit. And as though I were there, I have already passed judgment on this man in the name of the Lord Jesus. You must call a meeting of the church. I will be present with you in spirit, and so will the power of our Lord Jesus. Then you must throw this man out and hand him over to Satan so that his sinful nature will be destroyed and he himself will be saved on the day the Lord returns.
    1 Corinthians 11:32
    Yet when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned along with the world.
    The context here is physical church fellowship. Personal grudges and wicked vendettas against other believers work against the ones who hold these things against their brothers and sisters in Christ. These will be handed over for judgement by God. Be it through Satan or otherwise. Sounds like the OPs mother and friend are willingly handing themselves to Satan honestly. Not good.

Psalm 118:18
    The LORD has punished me severely, but he did not let me die.
    Proverbs 23:13-14
    Don’t fail to discipline your children. They won’t die if you spank them.
    Physical discipline may well save them from death.
    1 Corinthians 11:31
    But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment.
    Revelation 3:19
    I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

Oddly enough, voodoo was (in part) born out of Catholicism that entered the Caribbean area centuries ago. Many of the baptisms became mass ritualistic events, with ghostly-looking robes worn by the women who went into various states of "ecstasy". Satan got in the middle of it, and various forms of curses evolved - burying objects, having the subject drink certain potions, etc.

We are to bless people, pray for our enemies, do good to them, as stated above. People who want to "speed up" God's vengeance are trying to play God themselves, and specifically use the spirit world to cause evil. There's a name for that: witchcraft.