Page 590 of 594 FirstFirst ... 90490540580588589590591592 ... LastLast
Results 11,781 to 11,800 of 11874

Thread: What's For Dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by G Moorish View Post
    Yesterday I prepared Carne Asada (spicy Mexican style beef) on a cast iron griddle. The beef was a packaged product I bought at Costo. It was delicious. With the beef I served my oven baked BBQ potatoes. We had Watermellon (what 4th of July would be complete without watermellon ?), Cucumbers in Vinegar and Sour Dough Rolls. It was enjoyed with friends and family.

The potatoes I chop into 1" cubes, toss them in oil and sprinkle with Pork Rub; then bake about 45 minutes at 400 degrees. These work well with just about spicy meat.

I'm still cooking inside because my old grill rusted out and I haven't yet replaced it. I'm thinking about getting a Webber kettle grill and a Webber Smokey Mountain cooker if the Lord wills it. Surely a fellow could serve up some serious BBQ with that equipment.

Marvin
    I love cooking on cast iron!

Mqrvin, your post reminded me of a recipe I saw a friend make once, and I tried it and it was yummy and easy.

Dice potatoes into small cubes, about 1/2 inch diameter. Next dice beets into the same size cubes (raw beets, raw potatoes). Toss olive oil, salt and pepper throughout, place in a glass Pyrex baking dish without a lid, and bake for a while until soft. Occasionally you can toss/stir them. Perhaps 350 degrees F, for 1 hour?

I think there may have been one other 'hard' vegetable in there, but I didn't add it when I made it. I'm thinking also of some herb too, maybe rosemary. It has been a long time and I had forgotten all about this recipe! Thank you, Marvin!
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

I'm going to make vegetable beef soup from leftover pot roast, and maybe a can of biscuits.

Chinese spaghetti tonight. ( ground beef and broccoli over ramen noodles)

Tonight we are grilling steaks and having large salads to go with them. Strawberry shortcake for dessert.

baked Chitina Red Salmon in a white sauce
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    baked Chitina Red Salmon in a white sauce
    LOVE grilling sockeyes w skin still on! I try to cook it at least 2x a week w various seasonings. Do you mind telling me what you put into your white sauce or a general idea of the flavors? Thx, TT!
    Toots

Quote Originally Posted by BlessdMomUv5 View Post
    LOVE grilling sockeyes w skin still on! I try to cook it at least 2x a week w various seasonings. Do you mind telling me what you put into your white sauce or a general idea of the flavors? Thx, TT!
    Tall Timber's White Sauce for Most any Fish

1/3 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup mayonaisse
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 TBSP melted butter
    a wee bit of salt
    dill weed to your taste
    white ground pepper

The above is sufficient for 2 average sized "red" or "sockeye" fillets.

I bake the fish covered in the white sauce, covered. I've never just poured it over the fish after it's been cooked, but I suspect that would work too. I don't grill the fish because I figure I'd dry it out. Cooked just right it's delicious... overcooked isn't so good.

Tall Timber's White Sauce for Most any Fish

1/3 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup mayonaisse
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 TBSP melted butter
    a wee bit of salt
    dill weed to your taste
    white ground pepper

The above is sufficient for 2 average sized "red" or "sockeye" fillets.

I bake the fish covered in the white sauce, covered. I've never just poured it over the fish after it's been cooked, but I suspect that would work too. I don't grill the fish because I figure I'd dry it out. Cooked just right it's delicious... overcooked isn't so good.
    Thank you so much! I am trying your white sauce on red salmon tomorrow night! Regarding grilling, yes I overcooked fish for years, drying it out and hated fish! Now I try to get skin on, season and add olive oil to the flesh side, then (gas) grill flesh side down on High just 1-2 minutes w lid open to sear, then I flip it so skin side is down, turn on low and cook with cover on grill until it starts to show white coming out (the blood is cooked). Or if I want sauces I get skin off fish put in aluminum pan and cook it in that w sauce on it on grill, low heat. I hate using stovetop or oven when it's hot plus the smells in the house so I use my gas grill A LOT to substitute for range. Even in winter I grill quite a bit. Frost bitten my fingers a wee bit before I imagine in Alaska you might have the opposite issue, avoiding outdoor cooking when it's cold.
    Toots

Thank you so much! I am trying your white sauce on red salmon tomorrow night! Regarding grilling, yes I overcooked fish for years, drying it out and hated fish! Now I try to get skin on, season and add olive oil to the flesh side, then (gas) grill flesh side down on High just 1-2 minutes w lid open to sear, then I flip it so skin side is down, turn on low and cook with cover on grill until it starts to show white coming out (the blood is cooked). Or if I want sauces I get skin off fish put in aluminum pan and cook it in that w sauce on it on grill, low heat. I hate using stovetop or oven when it's hot plus the smells in the house so I use my gas grill A LOT to substitute for range. Even in winter I grill quite a bit. Frost bitten my fingers a wee bit before I imagine in Alaska you might have the opposite issue, avoiding outdoor cooking when it's cold.
    I leave the skin on when I bake it... seems to come out a little better. It does taste good when it isn't overcooked. My family members never noticed the dried out salmon... but I did and didn't like it so I'd always give myself just a tiny sliver when I prepared it. Now I'm loving it. I want to try it on the grill sometime... I'll have to refer back to your post here when I get brave enough to try it on the grill...

Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and corn.
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

I leave the skin on when I bake it... seems to come out a little better. It does taste good when it isn't overcooked. My family members never noticed the dried out salmon... but I did and didn't like it so I'd always give myself just a tiny sliver when I prepared it. Now I'm loving it. I want to try it on the grill sometime... I'll have to refer back to your post here when I get brave enough to try it on the grill...
    I tried your sauce and it was fantastic!!! Thank you!!!
    Toots

I tried your sauce and it was fantastic!!! Thank you!!!
    I'm pleased you like it!

Tonight we're having Papa John's double pepperoni pizza (probably), if they offer buy one get one like they usually do for me on Mondays...

I am planing on making beef a roni for supper tonight.

Yesterday was Tri Tip Roast, medium rare with fried Mushrooms, Onions, Anaheim and Jalapino chilies. On the side were my BBQ Spuds and a fresh Watermellon. The beef I coated with a cracked peppercorn, salt and garlic rub and roasted at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Bottled sauces incuded Horseradish and a new Chipotle sauce I'm trying. It was a zesty meal enjoyed by all present.

Earlier I fixed a breakfast of Denver Omlets, Pancakes and crispy Bacon. Yes I know the pork was duplicated, but not everyone wanted an omlet and "it's always better with bacon". Also served was fresh fruit and 100% pure Maple Syrup.

Tri Tips are a West Coast cut of beef. It's the bottom of the sirloin and in other regions it's used for hamburger meat. It makes a good tasty roast, but when slicing a Tri Tip, be aware the grain changes direction halfway across the roast. So slicing direction must change accordly.

Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by G Moorish View Post
    Yesterday was Tri Tip Roast, medium rare with fried Mushrooms, Onions, Anaheim and Jalapino chilies. On the side were my BBQ Spuds and a fresh Watermellon. The beef I coated with a cracked peppercorn, salt and garlic rub and roasted at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Bottled sauces incuded Horseradish and a new Chipotle sauce I'm trying. It was a zesty meal enjoyed by all present.

Earlier I fixed a breakfast of Denver Omlets, Pancakes and crispy Bacon. Yes I know the pork was duplicated, but not everyone wanted an omlet and "it's always better with bacon". Also served was fresh fruit and 100% pure Maple Syrup.

Tri Tips are a West Coast cut of beef. It's the bottom of the sirloin and in other regions it's used for hamburger meat. It makes a good tasty roast, but when slicing a Tri Tip, be aware the grain changes direction halfway across the roast. So slicing direction must change accordly.

Marvin
    Yum!! Are you planning to help with the "wedding supper" when all meet up? Haha
    Toots

Pot roast with all the fixins.

We are able to get tri tip at the commissary here, but it is very expensive.

Tonight we had a papa Murphys stuffed pizza. Last night I made a delicious dinner of sweet and sour chicken over rice.

Beef stew tonight.

This afternoon was Dutch Oven Braised Chuck Roast with mushrooms & onions, Gravy, Skillet Fried Potatoes, Steamed Asparagus, Watermelon and Texas Toast with butter and garlic. Family and friends enjoyed the fare. Left overs should last the next few days.

The Chuck Roast was tender enough to pull like pork, but I served it up today as a proper beef roast. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull part of it and serve it up with BBQ sauce on rolls. Then again, my wife is thinking of using it in a cassarole.

Marvin

Wow that sounds so good GM.

I think today will be turkey breast in gravy with stove top and string beans. Pie for dessert.