Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Pope adds 22 cardinals to elect his successor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    402

    Default Pope adds 22 cardinals to elect his successor

    22 cardinals join club to elect pope's successor


    By NICOLE WINFIELD
    Associated Press

    February 18, 2012



    VATICAN CITY (AP) Pope Benedict XVI on Saturday brought 22 new Catholic churchmen into the elite club of cardinals who will elect his successor, in a greatly simplified ceremony that took account of evidence the 84-year-old pontiff is slowing down.

    Benedict presided over a ceremony in St. Peter's Basilica to formally create the 22 cardinals, who include the archbishops of New York, Prague, Hong Kong and Toronto as well as the heads of several Vatican offices.

    Preparations for the ceremony have been clouded by embarrassing leaks of internal documents alleging financial mismanagement in Vatican affairs, and reports in the Italian media of political jockeying among church officials who, sensing an increasingly weak pontiff, are already preparing for a conclave.

    None of that was on display Saturday, however, amid the pomp of the consistory that brought to 125 the number of cardinals under age 80 who are thus eligible to vote in a papal election.

    That said, each of the new cardinals did make a solemn pledge to keep church secrets upon accepting their new title, ring and three-pointed red hat, or biretta, from the pope.

    Reciting the cardinals' traditional oath of loyalty, each one pledged to remain faithful to the church and to "not to make known to anyone matters entrusted to me in confidence, the disclosure of which could bring damage or dishonor to Holy Church."

    Benedict was wheeled into St. Peter's Basilica aboard the moving platform he has been using for several months to spare him the long walk down the center aisle. Benedict, who turns 85 in April, spoke in a strong voice as he told the cardinals they will be called upon to advise him on the problems facing the church.

    In remarks at the start of the service, Benedict recalled that the red color of the three-pointed hat, or biretta, and the scarlet cassock that cardinals wear symbolizes the blood that cardinals must be willing to shed to remain faithful to the church.




    More: http://www.usnews.com/news/world/art...opes-successor

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Getting ready to move on.
    Posts
    2,989

    Israel

    In remarks at the start of the service, Benedict recalled that the red color of the three-pointed hat, or biretta, and the scarlet cassock that cardinals wear symbolizes the blood that cardinals must be willing to shed to remain faithful to the church.
    I've read about the inquisition. It seems the blood shed is of others, not of the cardinals. What secrets exist that could damage or dishonor this unholy church? The pedophelia? The fact that a high number of their priests are gay? That the popes have prostitutes? That they worship Baal and Semiaris, not Jesus? Those things are already no secrets.

    I'm really starting to wonder how Ratzinger will die. Natural causes or poisoned by the upcoming black pope?

    This much for sure, I do love cardinals. After all, they are the state bird of Illinois.




    My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.


    Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Huh. Does make one wonder why the Church has secrets to keep. Jesus had no secrets while here on earth, but interestingly enough apparently Judas did
    2day Lord? Then what about tomorrow

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    14,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    That the popes have prostitutes?
    I don't think I've come across that information previously (if i have, then I've forgotten). Any reliable sources?
    Tall Timbers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Missing Bubba. Loving Elsa Rose...
    Posts
    15,060

    Default

    Im tempted to make a Star Wars reference, but Ill refrain...

    Ill just say 'Interesting times...'
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The United State of Texas
    Posts
    27,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    I've read about the inquisition. It seems the blood shed is of others, not of the cardinals. What secrets exist that could damage or dishonor this unholy church? The pedophelia? The fact that a high number of their priests are gay? That the popes have prostitutes? That they worship Baal and Semiaris, not Jesus? Those things are already no secrets.

    I'm really starting to wonder how Ratzinger will die. Natural causes or poisoned by the upcoming black pope?

    This much for sure, I do love cardinals. After all, they are the state bird of Illinois.
    "Cardinal" means " Cardo - hinge" They are the hinge or axis to Jesus since Jesus said He is the way, the Cardinals say you must go through them to get to Jesus.

    http://www.constellationsofwords.com...ions/Crux.html

    Quote Originally Posted by HopeOfHeaven View Post
    Huh. Does make one wonder why the Church has secrets to keep. Jesus had no secrets while here on earth, but interestingly enough apparently Judas did
    The Catholic church has a transparent administration, just like Obama.



    Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    One public relations firm suggested the RCC change the name "cardinal" to "chickadee" to make it sound more customer-friendly, but they didn't buy it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Getting ready to move on.
    Posts
    2,989

    Israel

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    I don't think I've come across that information previously (if i have, then I've forgotten). Any reliable sources?
    I've seen this over the years in many different sources. I can't pinpoint any one in particular, so I went searching and came up with some interesting stuff from Wikipedia. This article lists many different sources for the claims it makes. Let me say, what the popes have done, on just a purely sexual basis, is ugly.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_active_popes

    Next is a link to excerpts from a book about the sex lives of some of the popes.

    http://religionstinks.xanga.com/8115028/item/

    Celibacy for most people just is not a normal thing. Given some of the sex scandals the rcc has gotten itself into, is it not surprising that some of the men at the top were engaging in fornication.




    My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.


    Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Getting ready to move on.
    Posts
    2,989

    Israel

    "Cardinal" means " Cardo - hinge" They are the hinge or axis to Jesus since Jesus said He is the way, the Cardinals say you must go through them to get to Jesus.
    Thank you for that info Buzz. I had been under the impression that the word, as it applies to the rcc, has to do with the heart. Even so, they're not the cardinals I like. I'm partial to the Northern Cardinal, my state bird.

    Of course the cardinald of the rcc want everyone to come through them for salvation. Like Satan, they want to exercise the power of Jesus, a power they can never hope to duplicate.


    northern_cardinal_1_chip.gif




    My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.


    Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    Thank you for that info Buzz. I had been under the impression that the word, as it applies to the rcc, has to do with the heart. Even so, they're not the cardinals I like. I'm partial to the Northern Cardinal, my state bird.

    Of course the cardinald of the rcc want everyone to come through them for salvation. Like Satan, they want to exercise the power of Jesus, a power they can never hope to duplicate.


    northern_cardinal_1_chip.gif
    These cardinals are now called 'princes of the church' and they have to do something to justify the title. Pretty sure we don't have any bird Cardinals here in West Oz but they would be preferable to these other rcc popinjays.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    14,960

    Default

    Thanks... and I'm thankful I'm always a little ignorant when it comes to the world...

    Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    I've seen this over the years in many different sources. I can't pinpoint any one in particular, so I went searching and came up with some interesting stuff from Wikipedia. This article lists many different sources for the claims it makes. Let me say, what the popes have done, on just a purely sexual basis, is ugly.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_active_popes

    Next is a link to excerpts from a book about the sex lives of some of the popes.

    http://religionstinks.xanga.com/8115028/item/

    Celibacy for most people just is not a normal thing. Given some of the sex scandals the rcc has gotten itself into, is it not surprising that some of the men at the top were engaging in fornication.
    Tall Timbers

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the minds of millions
    Posts
    5,189

    Default

    Well I'll see the pope's 22 cardinals and raise him a Hoot Buzz Owl named Wally.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    33,869

    Default

    how long has benedict been pope now?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Getting ready to move on.
    Posts
    2,989

    Israel

    Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    how long has benedict been pope now?
    Coming up on 7 years.




    My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.


    Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •