Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Any baseball guys here?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    307

    Yay! Play Ball !!!

    Yeah, you might say I'm a fan. I have a second cousin who made Cooperstown. You guys wouldn't recognize him (played in the 1930's) ~~ no, I never saw him play.
    I always played second -- on sandlots, high school and American legion. That was what I did in my teens!
    I was born and raised in central Illinois and grew up with the StL. Cardinals. I remember going to Sportsman's Park and seeing Musial, Schoendist, Marion,Slaughter, Boyer, etc, play. Of course, Stan "The Man" was my favorite and still is. He was a real sportsman and gentleman besides being a great player.
    Needless to say, I enjoyed the 2011 baseball season. I live near St. Louis so I was able to take in a few games. I always had a problem with LaRussa, maybe it was his Calif. attitude. I'm looking forward to Matheny's first year. I think he'll do alright. I always liked him as a catcher.

    I'm ready for some baseball !!!
    1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Elder View Post
    Yeah, you might say I'm a fan. I have a second cousin who made Cooperstown. You guys wouldn't recognize him (played in the 1930's) ~~ no, I never saw him play.
    I always played second -- on sandlots, high school and American legion. That was what I did in my teens!
    I was born and raised in central Illinois and grew up with the StL. Cardinals. I remember going to Sportsman's Park and seeing Musial, Schoendist, Marion,Slaughter, Boyer, etc, play. Of course, Stan "The Man" was my favorite and still is. He was a real sportsman and gentleman besides being a great player.
    Needless to say, I enjoyed the 2011 baseball season. I live near St. Louis so I was able to take in a few games. I always had a problem with LaRussa, maybe it was his Calif. attitude. I'm looking forward to Matheny's first year. I think he'll do alright. I always liked him as a catcher.

    I'm ready for some baseball !!!
    I could have almost written this. I don't have any relatives in cooperstown though. I haven't noticed any cub fans here. Oh, they haven't won any games yet.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Elder View Post
    Yeah, you might say I'm a fan. I have a second cousin who made Cooperstown. You guys wouldn't recognize him (played in the 1930's) ~~ no, I never saw him play.
    I always played second -- on sandlots, high school and American legion. That was what I did in my teens!
    I was born and raised in central Illinois and grew up with the StL. Cardinals. I remember going to Sportsman's Park and seeing Musial, Schoendist, Marion,Slaughter, Boyer, etc, play. Of course, Stan "The Man" was my favorite and still is. He was a real sportsman and gentleman besides being a great player.
    Needless to say, I enjoyed the 2011 baseball season. I live near St. Louis so I was able to take in a few games. I always had a problem with LaRussa, maybe it was his Calif. attitude. I'm looking forward to Matheny's first year. I think he'll do alright. I always liked him as a catcher.

    I'm ready for some baseball !!!
    I remember how dominating Bob Gibson was in the late 60s. I think I had heard that the pitchers mound was 15" higher when he pitched. We took a trip to Cooperstown a while ago. I was a big fan of Roberto Clemente and Bill Mazeroski who were both Pirates.
    John 13:35
    By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    882

    Default

    I'm not a guy (), but I do love baseball, especially St. Louis Cardinals baseball! I work in downtown St. Louis about 4 blocks from Busch Stadium, so I can hear the fireworks explode if someone hits a home run during a day game. I have my own Cardinals blog - PM me if you're interested in reading it. The Cards-Marlins opening day game is on ESPN tomorrow night, so don't forget to tune in! Nate C, I don't think we'll miss Albert at all. Berkman will be great on defense at 1st, since he's played there before, and Beltran's bat will pick up the offense. Hopefully, David Freese won't get hurt this year.

    My DD committed the ultimate act of baseball rebellion when she decided to be a Cubs fan for awhile, but she eventually came back from the Dark Side and is again a Cardinals fan. (Wish she'd come back to the Bright Side away from the Dark Side of witchcraft, paganism and lesbianism, prayers would be appreciated for that.)
    I'll be gone when the trumpet sounds,
    Ain't nothing gonna hold me down!
    - Decemberadio, "Believer"

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St. Louis Park, Mn
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    I loved baseball since childhood. I grew up in Northern Mn., every small town had a baseball team. Sunday ritual, get up, do the chores, eat breakfast, go to church, go to the ball game in the afternoon.
    Milwaukee Braves, 1957 beat the NY Yankees in the World Series, I'll never forget it. I was only 8 y.o., but I remember how absolutely excited my Dad was. Was a good Christmas that year. lol.

    Being from Minn., I've always been a Twins fan, but I had many pet favorites as well, teams that were just fun to watch.
    Unfortunately the steroid nonsense completely stripped my childlike enthusiasm for the game, that and the ridiculous amount of money some players think they are worth. I still follow the game, and I enjoy the playoffs and the WS, but I no longer get excited about the game like I use to.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane 1611 View Post
    I'm not a guy (), but I do love baseball, especially St. Louis Cardinals baseball! I work in downtown St. Louis about 4 blocks from Busch Stadium, so I can hear the fireworks explode if someone hits a home run during a day game. I have my own Cardinals blog - PM me if you're interested in reading it. The Cards-Marlins opening day game is on ESPN tomorrow night, so don't forget to tune in! Nate C, I don't think we'll miss Albert at all. Berkman will be great on defense at 1st, since he's played there before, and Beltran's bat will pick up the offense. Hopefully, David Freese won't get hurt this year.

    My DD committed the ultimate act of baseball rebellion when she decided to be a Cubs fan for awhile, but she eventually came back from the Dark Side and is again a Cardinals fan. (Wish she'd come back to the Bright Side away from the Dark Side of witchcraft, paganism and lesbianism, prayers would be appreciated for that.)
    Hi Diane, I have enjoyed your posts over the years. Will pray for your DD.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    Hi Diane, I have enjoyed your posts over the years. Will pray for your DD.
    Thank you for both, sparks.
    I'll be gone when the trumpet sounds,
    Ain't nothing gonna hold me down!
    - Decemberadio, "Believer"

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    As north as possible
    Posts
    1,169

    Default No cheating in heaven...

    I enjoy baseball. I pray that there will be alot of ex-pro baseball players in heaven...meet Gary Carter and be able to hit a homerun in heaven and then give thanks to Jesus as I round the bags. Fun! I am ready for the rapture more than anything...even seeing the Braves win it all again here on earth.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Too bad for Rivera. Not a Yankees fan, but the man is a class act, Christian, hard worker, and the best to ever play his position.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    33,869

    Default

    i agree, too bad o Rivera. I'm a Red Sox fan so it normally would be hard for me to praise a spankee, but Rivera is a great man.



    My Sox are imploding early this year.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Lifelong Cincinnati Reds fan... Going way back to the big red machine days in the 70's... And now also a die hard Rangers fan... The Ranger's latest pitching addition played on my son's high school team... And is having a pretty good showing in the past month as a rookie. Outstanding Christian from a great family!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    i agree, too bad o Rivera. I'm a Red Sox fan so it normally would be hard for me to praise a spankee, but Rivera is a great man.



    My Sox are imploding early this year.
    That Crawford injury hurts.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Q) When does scripture indicate the first baseball game was played?

    A) Genesis 1:1 "In the Big Inning..."


    Thank you for this opportunity to tell a joke I learned in the third grade (the five best years of my life).

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Not a guy, but I've got to love baseball! My dad played for one of the old NY Giants farm teams. I can still remember him teaching my brother and I how to play and going to the batting cage. *sniff* Lets go Mets!

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    A) Genesis 1:1 "In the Big Inning..."
    New to me.

    Someone wake me when the indians or clowns do something. Too bad for Mario, but he can't do any better than the best closer ever.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    i agree, too bad o Rivera. I'm a Red Sox fan so it normally would be hard for me to praise a spankee, but Rivera is a great man.



    My Sox are imploding early this year.
    Wow, two Red Sox fans here. They're so bad this year that I might have time to post more often!

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    8,532

    Default

    The Braves started 0-4 and now are one of the best teams in MLB record wise. I was praying they would turn the ship around. I'm glad to see them do. And even happier that I'm going to see them live in July vs. the Cubs.

  18. #38

    Default

    Indians still in first.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Arlington, Texas
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
    Lifelong Cincinnati Reds fan... Going way back to the big red machine days in the 70's... And now also a die hard Rangers fan... The Ranger's latest pitching addition played on my son's high school team... And is having a pretty good showing in the past month as a rookie. Outstanding Christian from a great family!
    Im sure your talking about Robbie Ross. That kid has character and a zeal for the Lord. Before he pitches to the first batter he will take his hat off and go to the back of the mound and pray. The Lord has really blessed him and I am so glad the Rangers got him.
    Christ my Saviour, my King, in YOU I trust.

    The Lord is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knows those who trust in Him. Nahum 1:7


  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The Braves started 0-4 and now are one of the best teams in MLB record wise. I was praying they would turn the ship around. I'm glad to see them do. And even happier that I'm going to see them live in July vs. the Cubs.
    I'm glad they turned it around! They just came off a great road trip by going 7 - 2. They swept the Rockies and Cardinals but did go 1 - 2 against the Cubs. I see Hudson is pitching against Cueto tonight. Go Braves!
    John 13:35
    By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •