Thread: What does the parable of the talents mean?

Default What does the parable of the talents mean?

13 “Therefore stay alert, because you do not know the day or the hour. 14 For it is like a man going on a journey, who summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The one who had received five talents went off right away and put his money to work270 and gained five more. 17 In the same way, the one who had two gained two more. 18 But the one who had received one talent went out and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money in it. 19 After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them. 20 The one who had received the five talents came and brought five more, saying, ‘Sir, you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.’ 21 His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful in a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 The one with the two talents also came and said, ‘Sir, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more.’ 23 His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 Then the one who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Sir, I knew that you were a hard man, harvesting where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered, ‘Evil and lazy slave! So you knew that I harvest where I didn’t sow and gather where I didn’t scatter? 27 Then you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received my money back with interest! 28 Therefore take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten. 29 For the one who has will be given more, and he will have more than enough. But the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30 And throw that worthless slave into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth’” (Matthew 25:13-30).
    I've tried searching for this and didn't find a standalone thread on it. Did a little reading on the net via google search. I am prompted to ask this in light of some other discussons elsewhere on the forum that I been following, namely salvation by grace and faith alone in the completed work of Christ on the cross in contrast to Lordship Salvation, or otherwise salvation as evidenced by good works. This parable is not the only one I have in mind, but figure it is very clear on the outcome of the servant who failed to work and produce gain.

One response I read in an article states the third servant wasn't saved in the first place, hence the third servant's faulty view of God and empty productivity. I'm also pre-empting that this parable will be explained as not being directed toward Christians, the Bride of Christ, prior to the rapture of the church but to those who come to believe afterward, perhaps as indicated by the relationship between servant and master, by contrast to children and heavenly Father. I'm not really sure either of these satisfy the meaning of the parable, though I'm all for reading some good explanations.

I understand that any saved Christian, born again from the Lord with righteousness imputed to him/her, will have a change of mind and heart, that will lead to actions that could be considered works. However I also understand that no saved Christian will ever attain perfect sanctification this side of heaven. That every saved Christian will still sin until the day this corruptible flesh is put away with the incorruptible. But, as this parable demonstrates, the salvaton of the servants was dependent upon the works they had done for their master - and not just any works, but profitable works, and not by faith alone.

So my question is, if salvation is by faith in Christ' work alone, His finished work on the cross by grace and that not of ourselves, then how does this parable apply to us as believers?

http://gracethrufaith.com/selah/para...f-the-talents/

this is what Jack Kelley has to say on it
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Quote Originally Posted by Jlutz View Post
    http://gracethrufaith.com/selah/para...f-the-talents/

this is what Jack Kelley has to say on it
    Thanks Jlutz, interesting though I see Kelley takes the view that it is directed toward those who come to believe after the rapture. Which I don't necessarily disgree with, just not certain that it would apply only to those believers, even if it is outside of the period of grace.

Something funny happened just after I posted my OP^^. I only mention this for giggles. I left my desk at work to go to the shop. On the way out I stop by the gents, which is pretty busy at that time of day. And what do I find on the floor of the cubicle I walk straight into? Why I find a dollar and ten cents! I found a talent! Not five talents, not two talents, not even one talent (phew!) but a talent and ten cents! Okay please don't take me serious, as I know a talent in context of the parable is not about money, as Kelley himself mentioned. I just found it so funny that just after I make this thread that is seldom something I post about, that I would walk way into a public area and find a dollar (and ten cents) on the floor.

you should post another thread about 1,000,000 talents and then go out there again and see what happens
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Quote Originally Posted by Jlutz View Post
    you should post another thread about 1,000,000 talents and then go out there again and see what happens

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Jlutz

I remember a couple applications of this parable, one of which came from a greek teacher.

The tallents represent the Word of God. Our gift of the Holy Spirit. If the Word resides in us, it will bear fruit, some 20x, some 30x, some 100x.

There are others who hide the Word - or quite literally ignore it. They suppose God will do all the work so they do nothing. They care not because they have no Love.

They suppress the Spirit of Truth and live in unbelief.

Now as for taking it to the bank, there are a few ideas as well, one would be to live a perfect life - which is impossible for man.

Another is a life invested - you may be poor, an invalid, or in some way disabled, but you can still pray, nurture your family, give.
    You may never evangelize, but you can certianly equip others to do so.

The danger of interpreting this scripture within a box, is it fosters salvation by works.

But under the light if the context of ALL Scripture, we see a beilever's life will EVIDENCE the presence of the Spirit.
    And this is most obviously displayed in our stewardship of His Word.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Thanks Wally I appreciate your input there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Jlutz

I remember a couple applications of this parable, one of which came from a greek teacher.

The tallents represent the Word of God. Our gift of the Holy Spirit. If the Word resides in us, it will bear fruit, some 20x, some 30x, some 100x.

There are others who hide the Word - or quite literally ignore it. They suppose God will do all the work so they do nothing. They care not because they have no Love.

They suppress the Spirit of Truth and live in unbelief.

Now as for taking it to the bank, there are a few ideas as well, one would be to live a perfect life - which is impossible for man.

Another is a life invested - you may be poor, an invalid, or in some way disabled, but you can still pray, nurture your family, give.
    You may never evangelize, but you can certianly equip others to do so.

The danger of interpreting this scripture within a box, is it fosters salvation by works.

But under the light if the context of ALL Scripture, we see a beilever's life will EVIDENCE the presence of the Spirit.
    And this is most obviously displayed in our stewardship of His Word.

Your post's are always spot on, you exhibit much wisdom. I always stop to read your posts. I really appreciate your viewpoint.

I agree with the Word of God as the talents.

We also can't overlook the context of this parable being in the same timeframe as the parable of the 10 virgins which only makes sense post-rapture.
    Ya, It'll leave a mark.

Pre-Flood; Pre-Furnace; Pre-Fierce Anger (orgēn)

How is that 'Times Of The Gentiles' working out for you, World?

I don't think this passage has anything to do with salvation. I believe it is talking about rewards in the kingdom--responsibilities which will be based on our faithfulness in this age. "Faithful" vs. 45, "put him in charge of all his possessions" 47. Note the time frame in Matthew 24--this is after the second coming, 30, and after the unbelievers have been removed for judgment, 40-41, and Mat. 13:36-43, 47-50.

Mat 13:36 Then He left the crowds and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him and said, "Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field."
    Mat 13:37 And He said, "The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
    Mat 13:38 and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
    Mat 13:39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
    Mat 13:40 "So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.
    Mat 13:41 "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
    Mat 13:42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    Mat 13:43 "Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

Mat 13:47 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a dragnet cast into the sea, and gathering fish of every kind;
    Mat 13:48 and when it was filled, they drew it up on the beach; and they sat down and gathered the good fish into containers, but the bad they threw away.
    Mat 13:49 "So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous,
    Mat 13:50 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The parallel passage in Luke 19:11-27 makes it even clearer. Christ returns and receives His kingdom, 15, then assigns responsibilities based on the person's faithfulness, 17.

Luk 19:11 While they were listening to these things, Jesus went on to tell a parable, because He was near Jerusalem, and they supposed that the kingdom of God was going to appear immediately.
    Luk 19:12 So He said, "A nobleman went to a distant country to receive a kingdom for himself, and then return.
    Luk 19:13 "And he called ten of his slaves, and gave them ten minas and said to them, 'Do business with this until I come back.'
    Luk 19:14 "But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, 'We do not want this man to reign over us.'
    Luk 19:15 "When he returned, after receiving the kingdom, he ordered that these slaves, to whom he had given the money, be called to him so that he might know what business they had done.
    Luk 19:16 "The first appeared, saying, 'Master, your mina has made ten minas more.'
    Luk 19:17 "And he said to him, 'Well done, good slave, because you have been faithful in a very little thing, you are to be in authority over ten cities.'
    Luk 19:18 "The second came, saying, 'Your mina, master, has made five minas.'
    Luk 19:19 "And he said to him also, 'And you are to be over five cities.'
    Luk 19:20 "Another came, saying, 'Master, here is your mina, which I kept put away in a handkerchief;
    Luk 19:21 for I was afraid of you, because you are an exacting man; you take up what you did not lay down and reap what you did not sow.'
    Luk 19:22 "He *said to him, 'By your own words I will judge you, you worthless slave. Did you know that I am an exacting man, taking up what I did not lay down and reaping what I did not sow?
    Luk 19:23 'Then why did you not put my money in the bank, and having come, I would have collected it with interest?'
    Luk 19:24 "Then he said to the bystanders, 'Take the mina away from him and give it to the one who has the ten minas.'
    Luk 19:25 "And they said to him, 'Master, he has ten minas already.'
    Luk 19:26 "I tell you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away.
    Luk 19:27 "But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence."

I think the rewards mentioned in I Cor. 3:14 and II Cor. 5:10 include not only crowns but the level and type of responsibilities in the kingdom as we rule and reign with Him, based on the passages in Matthew and Luke.

1Co 3:14 If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.

2Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

I believe it goes to spiritual gifts.

For example, my husband and I: evangelism. We could ignore Holy Spirit promptings and fail to serve Him properly.

When we die, I don't think God would be very pleased. He had a job for us, did we do it? No? He had to send someone else to do it.

Or, we could go, as led by the Holy Spirit; which we do.

I also have the gift of encouragement: so God sends me people on occasion, that need encouragement. They walk away refreshed, I hope.

I have 2 talents, a damaged brain, and severe mental illness but I will serve Him 'till He calls me home.

I often wonder how many others were called to do Bible Handouts before God got to me.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Although it is critical to have the proper context in order to have full understanding;

The Bible is filled with much practical use - for him who has ears to hear.

We cannot piece out the Bible, but many times a particular Scripture socks me rigth between the eyes.
    It hits home and from a child of God perspective is receive as a personal gift form the Lord.

But even when those gifts seem so right, they must be submissive to the whole of Scripture,

and in that, I am dearly blessed with the stewardship and graciousness of the Mods here.

Suffer the little children .... but keep the food pure.

I have seen so many applications of the talents;
    skills
    money
    family
    time - life appointed

pre - post - here-and now

and most of these do have an application to our walk.
    But if you really dig, you find those things are too simplistic and easily direct our attention to what WE are doing.
    At best they are milk for immature believers who need a modicum of discipline....

But when we redirect to the proper focus of Jesus - the Holy Spirit, His work in our lives;

We see the seed of God's Word, rooted in us, tended by The Spirit, producing all manner of good fruit....

All of it growing from the True Vine. Jesus Christ.

A great test of understanding is does our interpretation glorify us or Christ?
    Maybe that test is too simple?

Childlike faith. At Your feet Jesus.... that's a great place to be.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”