Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    Yup, I love ya'll. Everyone credits the doctors, but it's the nurses who do 90% of it!

I really loved how the CNA's taught me how to do the homecare stuff. Make a bed with him in it, bed bath, etc.

Beloved, you could have had Ron as your patient! Do you remember getting any bald, blind guys hit by a pickup truck?

You know, I have been wondering the same thing!!
    I have taken care of so many people over the years, and I just don't remember!
    In 2003 I was staff/charge in CVICU and I mostly stayed in that unit, unless I got loaned out
    I do, however, have many good friends in STICU and I know they have always had good staff and CNA's.
    I started off as a CNA and we do make the best nurses

Small world

Yup. I remember a nurse named Angela was floated out to STICU the night they took Ron off the vent (a few days after his accident). She took it out, suctioned him, and he started snoring.

I didn't know comatose people could snore.

Probably the wierdest moment for me in 2003 was signing the consent form so they could put the ICP monitor in his head - I literally signed a permission form for them to drill a hole in his head.

I also caught a class of nursing students learning how to draw blood, on Ron, when he was in a coma. Perfect first time patient. It is a TEACHING hospital. They also had various interns stapling all his lacerations, etc.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Yup, I love ya'll. Everyone credits the doctors, but it's the nurses who do 90% of it!

I really loved how the CNA's taught me how to do the homecare stuff. Make a bed with him in it, bed bath, etc.

Beloved, you could have had Ron as your patient! Do you remember getting any bald, blind guys hit by a pickup truck?
    I live in the wrong side of the U.S.We have had worse.

That's the fantastic thing: if it's God's will for someone to live, they will live. If it's time for them to go, nothing will help.

I should have been dead a couple of times. Oddly enough, I nearly choked to death on a couple of occasions, then almost died of an overnight medication allergy. Now He uses me to hand out Bibles.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

That's the fantastic thing: if it's God's will for someone to live, they will live. If it's time for them to go, nothing will help.

I should have been dead a couple of times. Oddly enough, I nearly choked to death on a couple of occasions, then almost died of an overnight medication allergy. Now He uses me to hand out Bibles.

I'll second that! Its always His will

I really like working at a teaching hospital. You have alot of autonomy & learn tons!

Yes,he definately had a plan for you Acts.

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    Yes,he definately had a plan for you Acts.

Without a doubt!!

The first time I told my parents I was handing out Bibles, I could hear them freak over the phone. "You're BUYING THEM? And GIVING THEM TO STRANGERS?" I thought they would need some hospital time after my first Bible handout, but when they heard I did 72 in an hour they realized it was a God thing.

I don't care if people laugh or judge - and that's the beautiful thing about all the agony in my early life. It toughened me up so I am able to do this, when working in God's will.

I love how God used Ron's accident to really kick-start the whole thing. Romans 8:28

I get my Bibles here

I love reading your updates.
    Are you still passing out Bibles?
    PLEASE PRAY FOR LINDSEY'S SALVATION

I've been pretty sick; and I have a rule "Not when sick" because I don't know the health status on the recipients. I only want to share Jesus.

However, Ron and I have been sharing a LOT of testimony the last little bit. We just had the 10th anniversary of Ron's accident.

He had a dismal prognosis and they kept telling me to terminate life support. Here's what a medical journal has to say on patients like him "These patients are an important source of organ donation and should be evaluated and resuscitated aggressively."

God had other plans; and here we are. So, LOTS of testimony lately.

Since I got robbed after doing my last ghetto handout, I want to do another. Obviously the spiritual warfare is on. I want to fight; but I'm praying about it.

Generally, I get very itchy for a handout before I go do it.

I think, since I'm getting better (still coughing), I'll start doing up the Bibles. It was great during my last handout, the Bibles were already done up and all I had to do was get them there.

After the last handout, I also bought bags and bags of candy and made up bags with a New Testament and a couple big handfuls of Christmas candy. They were hugely popular (I did about 50).

I get my Bibles here

Good to let your body catch up with your 'drive'. Get well soon Heather

Feel better soon Acts!!

Sick again! Ugh!

I heard something fun yesterday. I have a friend, Jane, in Georgia.

Her husband is ill, and they are staying at a house near the hospital. Yesterday she met a lady from Houston.

Jane told the lady about me, and Shirley said "Oh, I've seen her, with a guy in a wheelchair! She works in some bad areas!"

Sounds like me, alright.

I thought that was very cool, that God put "my" recipient (not clear if she got a Bible or just sees me on the handouts) together with my friend, over a thousand miles away.

As soon as I get better, I plan to do another Handout. I had wanted to do one today, but I'm sick and it's raining anyway. I had also wanted to do one Valentine's day (even though I broke my toe after last year's Valentines day handout) but I don't think I'll be better in time.

I do not want to get a recipient sick.

Anyway, please pray for Shirley. She has stage 4 lung cancer and she never smoked. Jane is actively sharing the Gospel with her.

I get my Bibles here

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. You are an inspiration!

I'm going to New York City with a group from my church soon. We are doing street evangelism and prayer stations and we will be using The Story (http://viewthestory.com/training/) and going with Spread Truth (http://gospel.spreadtruth.com/). Maybe I need to start my own thread so I don't hijack yours, but I would love some advice as I prepare and train for this trip (March 9 - March 15). We will have "story bracelets" to hand out while we're there as a simple but effective means/method to share the Gospel (green - creation, blue - the fall, red - the blood of Jesus, etc., and apparently, they're widely popular and attract a lot of attention, especially with kids who get their parents interested in what we're doing too). I'm from IL, so I'm sure my "accent" will stick out to people and make people wonder what I'm doing at a park in NYC.

I think, for me, the thing I need right now the most is to train my spiritual ears to hear from God and to know how to approach each individual - as there are no mistakes in the people that I'm going to meet; it's God-ordained. I want to be sensitive to His leading and to grab people's attention. Do you find that you have a very short window in which you can engage people passing by? I'm very excited about this opportunity but want to be prepared and "prayed up."

Please be praying for us! For good weather and to hear from the Lord to meet the needs of the people we meet. Our group meets weekly on Sunday afternoons to prepare ourselves for the trip. We were asked to come up with a simple explanation as to why we are going on this trip. I picked Romans 1:16.
    The Gospel of Jesus Christ

"I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe."

"I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope."

Sounds fun! I can't travel but I can sure egg you on!

I think the biggest step to knowing God's will is to have some time with Him every day, reading the Bible, seeking His will, praying for the unreached (and, after your evangelism, the recipients!). It is then that God shows me what He wants me to do.

He's got me on the shelf right now, which is driving me nuts, but the second I'm better and get the go-ahead, I'll be in the horrible neighborhood, evangelizing.

To answer your question, when I'm working, I generally only have seconds to reach a person. They stop at the light. I am standing on a median in the middle of the street. I walk past each car, slowly, holding the sign and a sack of Bibles, pointing at the "Free" part of the sign. I have gotten pretty good at reading people. The Holy Spirit lets me know if someone is interested. Worst case they shake their head at me. Sometimes they laugh at me, but take a Bible anyway. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes, someone sees me at the last second and the light changes, and they drive around and come back.

Remember John 6:44 - God draws people to Him, so He will draw people to your outreach.

The only thing I might suggest, get a big bowl of candy and have that on the table. People love candy, and are very receptive to candy and evangelism together (You could even make a take-away bag with some candy, a New Testament, and/or tract). Sam's Club has a massive sack of wrapped, hard, candy for about $8.

I'll be praying, of course!

I get my Bibles here

Sounds fun! I can't travel but I can sure egg you on!

I think the biggest step to knowing God's will is to have some time with Him every day, reading the Bible, seeking His will, praying for the unreached (and, after your evangelism, the recipients!). It is then that God shows me what He wants me to do.

He's got me on the shelf right now, which is driving me nuts, but the second I'm better and get the go-ahead, I'll be in the horrible neighborhood, evangelizing.

To answer your question, when I'm working, I generally only have seconds to reach a person. They stop at the light. I am standing on a median in the middle of the street. I walk past each car, slowly, holding the sign and a sack of Bibles, pointing at the "Free" part of the sign. I have gotten pretty good at reading people. The Holy Spirit lets me know if someone is interested. Worst case they shake their head at me. Sometimes they laugh at me, but take a Bible anyway. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes, someone sees me at the last second and the light changes, and they drive around and come back.

Remember John 6:44 - God draws people to Him, so He will draw people to your outreach.

The only thing I might suggest, get a big bowl of candy and have that on the table. People love candy, and are very receptive to candy and evangelism together (You could even make a take-away bag with some candy, a New Testament, and/or tract). Sam's Club has a massive sack of wrapped, hard, candy for about $8.

I'll be praying, of course!
    Thanks for the reply.

I just learned to knit and have finished a scarf; I have no idea who to give it to and I'm not sure I want to keep it for myself. Maybe I should take it to NYC with me and see if the Lord leads me to give it to anyone. It's going to be cold and the scarf is extra wide/long. It's thick and warm too, which is good for the weather it looks like we'll be facing when we get there in a week and a half.
    The Gospel of Jesus Christ

"I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe."

"I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope."

I had that happen with an afghan after Ron's accident - I ended up giving to the Mom of a guy with a terrible head injury. Years later, I ran into one of the family and they told me "Mom still has your blanket on the couch".

Well, I got my Bibles. I have a good selection; kiddie NT, regular NT, etc.

I also have extreme fatigue and severe depression, so it's going to be another 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 Handout. Tonight I'm doing tracts. Tomorrow I will put my church contact info, and some testimonies, into the Bibles.

Saturday I go to the Handout. It will be cold, my husband is staying home, so I will be by myself in the "bad" neighborhood. I'm not worried. God sent me, He will protect me.

I honestly worry more, riding paratransit, than I do on a Handout.

I get my Bibles here

I did not read all fourteen pages, so I apologize if this has been said already. Is there a way to buy pocket-Bibles in bulk? LOL that is a weird question...thanks!
    Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,
    for tomorrow will worry about its own things.
    Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
    Matthew 6:34

Yes, at the link in my signature. They have the best deal, 50 cent New Testament. You can also buy "singles" or smaller amounts at your local Lifeway, if you have one.

For other bulk Bibles, http://www.ibsdirect.com, every kind of Bible in the world, very reasonably priced.

Some "evangelism" Bibles have doubled in price, just in the last couple years. Those guys (pointing up) are committed to keeping prices low so lots of people can get reached.

I'm in the poverty bracket but even I can afford them.

I get my Bibles here

I had that happen with an afghan after Ron's accident - I ended up giving to the Mom of a guy with a terrible head injury. Years later, I ran into one of the family and they told me "Mom still has your blanket on the couch".

Well, I got my Bibles. I have a good selection; kiddie NT, regular NT, etc.

I also have extreme fatigue and severe depression, so it's going to be another 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 Handout. Tonight I'm doing tracts. Tomorrow I will put my church contact info, and some testimonies, into the Bibles.

Saturday I go to the Handout. It will be cold, my husband is staying home, so I will be by myself in the "bad" neighborhood. I'm not worried. God sent me, He will protect me.

I honestly worry more, riding paratransit, than I do on a Handout.
    It's so good to hear you are well enough to do a handout!
    PLEASE PRAY FOR LINDSEY'S SALVATION