Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

I think I'm going to get a pack and roll. Those are a one piece unit, basket, wheels, and handle. I will keep doing research. Hopefully I can get to a tool store and look at some various carts. I think something designed for "industry" as opposed to "luggage" is the ticket.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I'll be praying you find what you need. I think you are probably right about an industry type thing. And an all-in-one sounds like it would be really handy.
    Who has ascended to heaven and come down?
    Who has gathered the winds in His fists?
    Who has wrapped up the waters in a garment?
    Who has established all the ends of the earth?
    What is His name, and what is His Son's name?
    Surely you know! -- Prov 30:4

I went with a flat-folding handcart rated to 150 pounds.

150 pounds of Bibles. ON a handout. I'd LIKE to see that.

Anyway, it should be more rugged. It is not a pack and roll, it is a pretty standard cart, like the one you showed but without the bungee cords. I have bungee cords so I'm not worried about that.

It folds up really flat, 2 inches thick, so I can store it on the rack, on top of the Bible crate. It is pretty light and it has a nice long handle. I didn't have to hyperextend my elbow like I did with the old cart. Nice.

I'll keep you posted how it works.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Sounds great! I imagine 150 pounds of Bibles would be a lot. Especially if they were like the NT Invitation ones I handed out at Halloween!

While we were at Walmart, someone broke our back patio door.

We are not sure of the details but we weren't robbed. May have been an attempted robbery.

Anyway, I thought it was funny, once we called the glass guys, Ron went looking for his tracts. Like me, he sees stuff like this as an evangelism opportunity.

I get my Bibles here

It's that special time again.

I will be going to Acres Homes pretty soon - hopefully tomorrow, to do a Handout.

Since Ron can't get me a paratransit trip, and doesn't want to come anyway (but we've heard that line before), I decided to call a cab. It will cost about $3 a mile but I think it's money well spent, only be about $20. Plus tip of course.

I would pay $20 not to drag my laden handcart to the bus stop and ride there. That is, assuming I can get a cab. It's really a neighborhood with a bad reputation, well earned, for gang activity, prostitution, and drug dealing (I have witnessed all of that). It is, in my experience, "the worst" area I've done in Houston.

And I keep going back. They are insatiable for Bibles.

I was going to go today, asked God to give me a sign, and got a horrible migraine, so I guess not today!

Hopefully tomorrow. I will be working doing up my Bibles tonight. I have a new handcart which is a big question mark. It shouldn't matter as much if I take a cab, though.

Anyway, prayers on this would be appreciated. I know things are tense but that's generally when I get the good harvest.

They know me, I've been doing this for 4 years, so it's not like I just walked into their 'hood.

My only ongoing issue is bathroom access. As in, there isn't any. I don't blame the gas stations but it's a little frustrating. Especially when I need to stay hydrated so I don't pass out in feels like 100 degrees.

I get my Bibles here

I will be praying for you, Heather.

Heather, I'll be praying for you today. Not sure if you've already gone to hand out bibles. But I'm praying for your safety, for the people who receive them, and that you can find a bathroom.

Let us know how it goes!

I didn't do it today, and the air conditioner repairman is coming after work tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

I get my Bibles here

With the political climate the way it is, I was a little worried about going to Acres Homes today.

Turns out I should have been more worried about my ride home.

I decided to call a cab, as Ron didn't want to go. He arrived promptly, was very nice and helpful, but not overly so (let me put the cart away myself). He was very quiet but nice, and the ride was only $20, a bargain, I thought, considering one of my tie-downs had snapped on my hand cart and smacked me in the hand.

It was very slow. I picked, I think, a bad time of day. Had I gone after dinner I think things would have been much more lively. However, I did distribute a little over 50 Bibles in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

I did mostly singles, ladies with gold teeth for a while. Then a few men who clearly lived in the neighborhood, interested. I was delighted to distribute to them.

"I want to pour a little Jesus on things" I told one recipient, a white lady in a fast-food uniform (she wanted 3). She agreed, said things were getting really bad, and I reminded her Jesus was coming back for us soon.

I had a couple of passers-by, including a young woman in scrubs, who took Bibles. One lady stopped going the wrong way, walked back, and got a few Bibles. Another Spanish lady wanted an English Bible for her son, so I gave her one of each, so they can talk.

One car going the other way stopped dead, almost causing a pileup, and the car behind started honking. I had gotten the first car by that point so I grinned and held up my sign. She waved me over!

I got some couples, clearly from the neighborhood, and was thrilled with them. One older couple, him overtly disabled, sat on the bus stop and watched me like a theater. It was a little disconcerting.

The Friendly mart changed it's name and the usual crowd wasn't hanging outside it anymore. So it was probably one of the safer handouts I've done.

When I finished, I got some Pupusas and called a (different) cab, who jerked me around playing games for an hour, before I said forget it and took the bus.

[Pupusa place had a bathroom for customers only! Very clean!]

I was home in 20 minutes. Please pray for the recipients!

I get my Bibles here

Hey Heather! sounds like your time spent there was productive! Praise God! ! ! I enjoyed reading the stories that you shared. Now we'll be praying that all these folks will read God's Word and get saved!
    And glad to read that you were able to locate a bathroom! God took care of all your needs as you went out to serve Him.

I hope Ron is treating you good...I'm keeping you both in prayer.

We had to go to transit headquarters downtown so Ron could get a new yearly pass.

I took a bag of Bible promise books and gave them to the clerk, to pass out. She was very nice about accepting them.

Please pray for the recipients!

I get my Bibles here

Default The Harvest is ripe, how are the workers in the fields?

I know Acts is going through a lot right now (and we are praying!), and thus this thread has been so quiet and I miss the encouragement and "news from the fields".

Anyone have any good witnessing stories (recent or not)?

For any new Christians, the above title on this post is a reference to scripture in the New Testament where Jesus said that the fields are ripe but the laborers few. He told us to Pray then that the Lord would send workers into the fields. (sorry, really bad paraphrase)
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

I did get 30 "Bible Promise books" to hand out at the hospital/waiting room/nurses etc. after Ron has his surgery.

I found that, after Ron's accident, people in ICU waiting rooms are far more interested in hearing about Jesus than someone having a "normal" life.

----->something others could try, sneaking Bibles into your hospital's surgery and/or ICU waiting rooms <--------

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    I did get 30 "Bible Promise books" to hand out at the hospital/waiting room/nurses etc. after Ron has his surgery.

I found that, after Ron's accident, people in ICU waiting rooms are far more interested in hearing about Jesus than someone having a "normal" life.

----->something others could try, sneaking Bibles into your hospital's surgery and/or ICU waiting rooms <--------
    Amen! That's a great idea!

I have a stack ready to hand out at Halloween. I was able to give one to my daughter's best friend. We took her to church with us, too. Now I am working on gathering other treats for Halloween bags.

I was going to mention that.

World Missionary Press has free scripture booklets that fit great in a baggie with some candy, on Halloween. I have been doing it for several years now.

www.wmpress.org

We get a lot of kids so I ordered 150. They will send 5-10, though, if you'd like.

I get my Bibles here

While at the hospital doing Ron's pre-operative blood work and such, I left 5 "Bible Promise Books" in the waiting areas.

One day I'll find out where they ended up.

I also plan to bring a LOT more the day of Ron's operation, and hand them out to care providers as well as leave them in waiting rooms.

I get my Bibles here

I've been leaving a trail of Bible Promise books everywhere I go. Ron is still in the hospital (rehab now).

I get my Bibles here

My daughter and I made up 30 Halloween treat bags to give out Monday. We put in a New Testament with a bookmark that has verses from Romans (the Roman Road) and one with our church info on it. Also, a little pad of sticky notes, a pencil, fruit snacks, and a couple of other small packages of candy.