Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

Default Sunshine

The policeman sat in his car, staring at me intently. I began to feel uncomfortable, which is saying something for me on a Handout (for instance, I didn't turn a hair when a carload of kids kept driving by and barking at me today).

"Nice day" I told him. He was the only one at the light. "Just exercising my First Amendment Rights." He nodded somberly. Good. I wouldn't get hassled.

"I tell people" he drawled, his shaved head glistening "A Bible doesn't run out of bullets." I smiled. Good. He was a believer. I offered him a Bible anyway and he said no thanks. We talked a little about the neighborhood. "I tell people to be careful in any neighborhood" he said.

The light changed, and he drove off.

It was a very interesting Handout. I went to the east median on Victory at Antoine. I "caught" the westbound, and left-turning southbound cars.

At first I thought I'd made a terrible mistake. I kept seeing Mercedes, BMW's, and other high-end vehicles. Most of them stared ahead, dead eyes immune to my shenanigans outside their windows. I sighed and moved on.

Usually I do "better" with the really poor neighborhood, gangbangers and guys in du-rags, cheap cars literally falling apart as they're driven.

I did hand some Bibles out to people in formalwear, which I found interesting. Apparently they were going to some event. From what I can tell Victory is literally at the intersection of high end neighborhood, and the ghetto. I saw upper middle class and poverty. Not really anyone in between.

Today was one of the few days where I didn't hand out a lot of Spanish. I'd brought a little over 20 and still have most of them. I did distribute where I could but everyone spoke English.

And everyone wanted to give me money. I had offers of a winning lotto ticket ($4), various $1 bills, a handful of change (interestingly enough these were all "white folk"), and one guy who became quite upset when I refused the $10 bill.

I'll get arrested if they catch me taking money.

I got the Bibles on sale.

Friends help me buy the Bibles.

My husband takes care of me, we have a good life.

It really is free.

None of my usual arguments made a dent in his reasoning. He became quite red and I worried about his blood pressure. He finally muttered something and drove off, without a Bible.

I did succumb, though. A younger (about 30), bearded, white man stopped at the light. "Hey" he said kindly "I got you something". I opened my mouth to protest as he handed a 6-pack of Shipley's Donuts out the window of his car.

"Normally I say no" as I ripped into the package "But these, I'll take." I ate a donut with one hand while juggling the loose Bibles, bag, and sign in the other, licking glaze off my fingers and trotting back and forth on the median.

Ron told me I should have waited, but they were hot donuts. [happy sigh] I had to eat ONE. I still managed to distribute 3 Bibles to a harried looking young woman in an inexpensive sedan.

I was very happy to see the two carloads of gangbangers. I told them I "Had the hookup" and stuck the Bibles in through the open window. They took them! Please pray for them, and all the recipients.

I also had the young guys driving around barking at us. Not sure what that was.

I handed some to pedestrians, including one to a lady who worked security at the grocery store. She told me later she really enjoyed the tract.

One lady parked at the light, gaping. She was an older black lady. "I have one of your Bibles" she said. I gaped at her, baffled. How? I hadn't given her one.

"My friend" she continued "Got some a while back and gave me one." She kept staring at me, as though shocked to find I existed. I told her I was, and will be, praying.

I had some more affluent people who told me they had multiple Bibles. I pleadingly asked them to pray for "Everyone who gets a Bible today". One guy flat-out asked me why. "Because I can't do this without backup!" He nodded.

I am dead serious about this: If you will do one thing to assist; please pray for the recipients. God provides the supplies and gives me the energy and transportation, but I can't do any of this without my prayer warriors.

I had a harried looking woman with several children in the car. She rolled down the window. I could tell she wanted to ask for a Bible, so I asked her "How many?" She wouldn't answer, but I could tell she needed more than one.

I "Just happened" to have 5 in my hand, so I handed them into the window.

"This is wonderful!" she replied, nearly tearful "I need Bibles for a Children's Bible study - I needed five!" Awesome. Glory to God, I'm just the tool. I offered her more but she said no.

I had a few people stare intently out the window, clearly wanting a Bible yet not quite able to ask. I made a point to run over them and offer them however many they needed.

People love to hear that "How many would you like?" I am so blessed that God led me to the clearance sale at Biblica. I did about 90 today, and I still have around 400 left at home.

Afterward, we went to the grocery store and I got a cold soda and ate a few donuts. Yum. Then we took the bus home.

I have to figure pushing Ron home half a mile from the bus stop, must have burned a few donuts!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I pray often for you and for those who receive Bibles or will in the future. Thanks for sharing these great stories. I love the one about the lady who already had one of "your Bibles".
    and to wait for his Son from heaven,
    whom he raised from the dead—Jesus,
    who rescues us from the coming wrath
    1 Thessalonians 1:10

Well, I told Ron, Acres Homes has a population of about 10K. I have handed out somewhere around a thousand, so 1 in 10 people, in the worst ghettoes in Houston, has a Bible.

Pretty awesome how God can use us if we let Him.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Drivers know a lot.

So I've been polling them. For some reason God has put http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bissonnet_Street Bissonnet into my head.

Here's a quote from the article: The street is a well known thoroughfare for soliciting prostitution.

Sounds PERFECT!

So, I've been asking the drivers, about "The bad part, with all the drug dealing and prostitution". Two paratransit, and one yellow cab, all confirmed a 2 block stretch.

Ron, by the way, likes a little meal after the Handout. I get pretty hungry running up and down with a heavy bag on my shoulder.

Matthew 10:10 - the worker is worthy of his wages.

Ron loves a certain BBQ restaurant.

Guess what is in the middle of the 2 block stretch of awful? WITH a good median?

Yup.

I have tons of Spanish now, thank you, you know who you are!

Of course I am having my battles, Ron has had a horrific neuropathy attack, horrible nerve pain in his legs and feet. I am on day 3 of a migraine.

But God is bigger than trials. Thank God we have been able to work!

I get my Bibles here

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

I share this to incite:

I already gave 2 of my new Spanish Bibles, to the pizza people. Dominos lets you know who is making the pizza, and who's delivering it. They both had latin names.

He didn't reject them. I said "The other one's for [cook's name]" He smiled and said "OK". This is all in addition to a generous tip. Even if you're a cheapo, be generous when tipping cash + Bible. Think of it as a short term mission trip.

I've only ever had one person say no, out of hundreds given out to service providers.

You can do this.

I get my Bibles here

You are so awesome with these bible handouts. ..idk if anyone has told you recently....

I think it is awesome that God can use me.

I mean, God does all the work. I just stand there like a donkey (although I guess Ron would be "The mule" because he actually carries the Bibles on the wheelchair until we get to our spot), holding the sign, happy antics, and hand them out. God brings them and has worked on their hearts, to the point where they are ready to take the Bibles.

I really doubt, percentage wise, I could go anywhere, set up, and get the kind of response I do. So many people just aren't ready, or already saved.

This is one huge reason I think the prayer before/during/and after (daily) is even more important than the actual handout. God has to prepare their hearts, give them whatever they need to take it, and guide/lead them as they read it every day.

We need to work Monday and Tuesday, so Wednesday looks to be the day. Ron and I are thinking lunchtimeish.

All my drivers continue to confirm it as an "awful" neighborhood "Full of prostitutes".

I get my Bibles here

I love what you do! This, what u do, is real...you convict me to see what more can I do? I appreciate you...keep going

You and Ron are beyond courageous and I pray your health will allow you continue in your mission for many years to come.

God really gives us exactly what we need.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 NKJV His strength, made perfect in our weakness. We are certainly weak, and therefore, presumably, more usable!

I also want people to know if I can do this anyone can. It is really easy to get a Bible or two, to keep by the door, hand them out to sales men, delivery guys. You can wrap one up and stick it in YOUR mailbox - for the carrier. For me, I can't drive so I have professional drivers every day - another great mission field.

I usually just say "I would love to give you a Bible!"

A funny side note from the last handout. I was pretty dopey from my medication. One woman drove up and stopped at the light, looked at me, and rolled her window down, idling next to me.

I smiled at her stupidly.

"The Bible?"

Oh! "How many would you like?"

If God can use me, like THAT...

I get my Bibles here

Praying for you and Ron, for the recipients of course.

And as always, I so much enjoy reading about the handouts you do. I love hearing about how things went, what happened during the handout. It's a ray of hope, of good, in the midst of all the bad I see everyday on the news, and around me. Thank you and Ron for all that you do. I know the credit is His, but you have yielded to Him, He said pick up your cross and follow Me, and you and Ron are doing that. I think it's wonderful and amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    God really gives us exactly what we need.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 NKJV His strength, made perfect in our weakness. We are certainly weak, and therefore, presumably, more usable!

I also want people to know if I can do this anyone can. It is really easy to get a Bible or two, to keep by the door, hand them out to sales men, delivery guys. You can wrap one up and stick it in YOUR mailbox - for the carrier. For me, I can't drive so I have professional drivers every day - another great mission field.

I usually just say "I would love to give you a Bible!"

A funny side note from the last handout. I was pretty dopey from my medication. One woman drove up and stopped at the light, looked at me, and rolled her window down, idling next to me.

I smiled at her stupidly.

"The Bible?"

Oh! "How many would you like?"

If God can use me, like THAT...
    Nice, all the glory to our Lord!.....lol....I like that story!

You'll like this one, then.

As I ran towards my second car, two Spanish Bibles in my hand, I managed to trip over the Spanish Bibles box and fall in a spectacular, twisty, manner. The poor recipients flinched in the car, looking aghast.

*Somehow* I managed to right myself (Thank You, Jesus!), regain my footing, and sprint the rest of the way towards their car. No Bibles were harmed.

It was an interesting handout.

We had a really excellent ride. When we arrived I got the driver to take a photo. Ron held both cases stacked on top of the wheelchair arms until we got to our destination.

At first I wanted to work Centre Blvd. It was right there, and there was a surveyor on the "good" looking median, a block down Bissonnet. However, I realized it had minimal traffic. Other than the Spanish guys, a couple of "white folk", and an African fellow with a lovely accent, it was dead.

My first English recipient was absolutely shocked when I refused her money. I got that attitude a lot today. No one with a sign on the corner refuses money! Except me.

I apologized profusely to Ron, reloaded, and headed off down the street. "He's just going to have to share" I told Ron, about the surveyor.

The surveyor made a big point of ignoring us.

The neighborhood had a hopeless, despairing, feel but it wasn't as bad as I thought. The recipients were eager, and if anything, I got to distribute to far more ethnicities. A Jamaican lady stopped dead, gaping at me, walking down the sidewalk. I ran over and found out she'd like two. A little later I gave one to one of her countrymen, wearing long dreadlocks, also gaping at me.

While I saw prostitutes (especially towards the end of, and after, the Handout), none were interested. In fact, one older lady who appeared manic shouted at me from the corner for a couple of minutes. Lunch hour being what it is, I didn't hear a word but she seemed pretty worked up.

Perhaps she felt I was there in a spirit of judgement. I was not, of course. I just hate to think of people hurting without God in their lives, I want to share Him. If you have a sin issue in your life, God will do the judgement and conviction.

I was a little frustrated, the light was so short. Suddenly, 20 minutes into the Handout, everything erupted into mayhem. I realized the light was out.

I had a captive audience. Houston traffic, at it's best, is horrific. Take a lunch rush, a very busy street, and no traffic light, and you've got insanity.

I now had plenty of time to walk up and down in a leisurely manner, chatting with the recipients. I must have handed out 15 to young Black men covered in tattoos.

One well dressed pedestrian kept wandering around, carrying a backpack. He wasn't homeless. I suspect he was "in marketing". At any rate he came over and got a Bible.

Several other pedestrians also got Bibles. They seem to be more interested, overall, than the cars, maybe because they can watch for a little while and see what I'm about.

The Spanish folk were thrilled to get a Bible in their own language, touched and thrilled. I offered "Espanol?" in my very bad Spanish. Not a few told me, indignantly, they wanted an ENGLISH Bible. I apologized and handed it over. However, out of 24 whole Spanish Bibles, I distributed 19. I'd ask if they wanted Spanish, then "Cuantos?" (How many). "De nada" (it's nothing).

A guy from the storage place, two blocks down (the manager no less) walked over. "Oh, Bibles! Usually they hand out free condoms."

I laughed "I'm in the right neighborhood, then!" He agreed, accepted a Bible, and left.

I had a few cars I had to chase, they had indicated they wanted Bibles but the light changed, or the traffic was letting them "go". I bolted after them, waving the Bibles and yelling "Wait!". They did, got the Bibles, and left. I imagine I was pretty funny chasing them like a dog.

I "caught" one lady taking a photo, grinned, and waved. A firetruck came by and the driver pointed me out to the other firemen, mouthing "Free Bibles".

I didn't know it, but I had a policecar watching me for a significant part of the Handout. As you know I obey the law so no rope to hang me. Remember this.

I find, in a new neighborhood, a lot of people just gape at me the first couple times. Once I become a "fixture" they are either indifferent or interested. I just did my best to grin and wave at all of them.

When I could (before the light died) I distributed to the bus stop. The harried looking Spanish Mom was very grateful. She was wrangling two small kids - remember there's nothing to keep them from running into traffic, either.

As Ron and I were wrapping it up, a car pulled up on the wrong side of the street. She had her window down, and a passenger. I handed her two Bibles.

"I know you from work" she said, grabbing a handful of change. I gave her the "don't take money" routine and told her "Every snack you buy from our machines buys a Bible!" she grinned at that and drove off.

If people didn't already know at work, they do now!

We headed across the street, and here comes the police car. [Bad Word] Well, I wasn't doing anything wrong!

"Excuse me" she yelled out her window.
    Uh, oh. I turned around, glad I have the ACLJ phone number in my phone book. "Yes?"
    "Do you have any Bibles left?"
    I asked her how many she'd like, gave her two, and Ron and I headed off to lunch!

I forgot to add, 19 Spanish whole Bibles (huge, huge, huge with the recipients), and at least 73 English. In an hour's time. Boy does God ever bring 'em.

I get my Bibles here

I get my Bibles here

Wow, you sure do have some funny and interesting things happen while your out there. It's very entertaining how you describe everything. Do you journal or write down your experiences? I bet you have some really good experiences from over the years. I'm amazed at how receptive people are to receive a bible. I suggest writing your goings on down, because you seem to really have a knack for explaining what happens out there, very entertaining. I guess you do write down your experiences on this thread now that the light bulb in my head just turned on...hheheheeee.
    Last edited by Tall Timbers; March 26th, 2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Well, I have a blog, I share here, and on Facebook.

I mainly want to inspire others - if Ron and I can do it on public transit, with all our problems, God can use anyone.

It's also fun to share what happened. It's never the same, ever.

I get my Bibles here

I do so enjoy reading about your adventures; this is one of the first threads I read every day!
    But I have to ask about this, "One well dressed pedestrian kept wandering around, carrying a backpack. He wasn't homeless. I suspect he was "in marketing". At any rate he came over and got a Bible."

Even at age 53 I guess I'm a bit naive...what does "in marketing" mean. I think I know, but have to ask.
    Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. --Philippians 4:8

Pretty sure he was dealing drugs, or a pimp.

At any rate, I have to say things are "worse" where I worked in Acres Homes. On a "scary" scale for me this was maybe a 3. Acres Homes is a good 7.

Acres Homes I see overt dealing and prostitution, gangbangers in obvious colors up to no good. But I think I'm done there for now (it's been 2.5 years). I have distributed over 1000 Bibles there and when I hear "I already have a Bible" on my last two handouts, a good sign to move for a bit.

Ron and I lived near a XXX bookstore in our first apartment. We had drugs, gangs, poverty, and prostitution. I also had creeps hassling me at the bus stop.

Our second apartment we lived near a head shop (they sell drug using supplies). We had dirty needles around the bus stop, drug dealing, crack house, dope fiends, child molesters, and the friendly neighborhood prostitute who assured me she'd never do business with my husband.

We lived there 7 years. God, of course, used all that as preparation for this. Amazing to think He knew we'd be doing this even then.

Oh, and my psychiatrist is a Jew. He keeps an eye on my illness (no head shrinking, just medical) and writes me prescriptions. Today Ron mentioned the handouts and Doc was very interested in getting a Bible. I was thrilled. I gave one each to him and his intern.

Later on the intern told me "You know he's a Jew." and I quoted John 4:22 "Salvation comes from the Jews". She was really impressed.

I get my Bibles here