Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

I love to hear about your handouts!

I think putting the Bibles in the vending machine is an awesome idea!

Boss wants me to hold off until he does research.

You can imagine my response to the supreme court ruling.

Another Handout.

I am thinking to go to 249 and Antoine. It is a huge intersection. As a backup, I could go to De Soto and Antoine.

Here's a picture:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...eee9dce6bfba79

I am usually found on the median just north of the intersection, but I haven't done a serious Handout there in years due to saturation. Everyone told me I'd already given them one.

Maybe time to go back; going to pray on it.

I will have to manage this around work, a dental appointment, and a tune up with my psychiatrist (pretty much an all day event).

Prayers for guidance appreciated, as always.

Oh, and I got the large print!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Israel

1 John 4 : 4
    Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Praying for you and your ministry Acts!

Hi Acts, how is the hand outs going? I love to hear your stories of handing out the bibles. Hope all is well with you and I pray for you and your husband!

Hellish heat index, and work problems, have me hobbled.

Happily the work stuff will resolve, mostly, tomorrow. Our main driver is AWOL, not answering his phone.

Secondary guy could only do it tomorrow, so all this week I have been making small supply runs on paratransit, then stocking. It is exhausting.

12 hour day when we got the "new" machine delivered. It's a nice one though.

I'm honestly figuring out how to do this. Feels like 110, I would like to do an evening handout - where? When?

Ron says he will go on a morning handout but they are pretty dead, but we COULD try 249 again.

I need to keep praying on it. I have loads of supplies and want to use them wisely.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

We took a big (40 Bibles) sack of Bibles and candy to paratransit headquarters when Ron and I went downtown to get his yearly pass.

The candy was a big hit, I haven't heard anything about the Bibles, but it usually works that way.

I did give a Bible to the new teller at the bank. She hugged it and carried on for a while.

She showed it to another teller who said "Oh, she gave me mine a while ago".

I want to be that person.

I get my Bibles here

My husband tried to get in touch with our primary driver, for a couple of days, last week. He couldn't, and we had to go with our second stringer.

Today I was told the primary driver died, in a one-car accident, about a day before he was due to help us.

I am so glad I gave him a Bible. I am so glad both of us shared our testimony. I am profoundly glad I make a habit of praying for my drivers, daily.

This is the 4th driver I've lost. 3 of them worked for paratransit. 2 had cancer, one died of a massive heart attack, and our latest died in the car wreck.

I can't help but be glad I wasn't in the front seat, and mangled. I would have been fine dying if God was ready for me, but I do dread the idea of further disability.

Anyway, please pray for his family if you are led. I am unclear if he was saved or not (he was evasive, which generally means no). The other drivers I knew were saved.

God may have already led us to a new driver.

What a life I live.

I get my Bibles here

"I've never had a problem" I told the cashier, "Except today."

"What happened?"

"Fire ants. And flip flops." She flinched.

Tonight I had just HAD it. EVERYTHING in the world is getting between me and my Handouts. Work, home life, even the weather.

I picked up my Bible bag, loaded it with 30 already done-up (I need to always keep some on hand for times like this) New Testaments (whole Bibles are great, but very heavy, I can carry 7-8 New Testaments for the weight of one Bible, and reach that many more! New Testaments will always have a place in my ministry).

I took a small sign (the one Ron's holding, in the photos), my vest, and a bottle of water, and headed out the door. Ron and I had an animated discussion before I left.

I thought about what he'd said as I walked to my handout spot. "I don't care if God's never seen what I do" I thought. "I don't care if the recipients all forget. I'd still do this, because I *have* to." I just can't abide the thought of people suffering without God. I HAVE to at least attempt an introduction.

I forgot, I had to walk over a high (to me) bridge, a little one, but still ewwwy. I have some anxiety issues. I just told myself to keep moving.

I decided to take the northbound side of the intersection, at Greens Road and Bammel. I chose - poorly.

I was right outside a gas station parking lot, and all the recipients found it really easy to pull into the parking lot and holler (the first one), or wave. They all did that.

The grass was short, dry, and dead, on the median. It was, however, full of fire ants. I had "wisely" worn a pair of flip flops because it's hot (although the Handout was pretty pleasant, due to some very tall trees). I did a lot of hopping around, cursing, and apologizing to God.

The first recipient asked for "Everything I had". She was a nice looking lady in an SUV that could have paid off my mortgage. I handed her all the "Invitations" - 6.

I had a Spanish guy attempt to "get over", but it looked ugly and I didn't want an accident. I pointed at the parking lot and made gestures to indicate I'd join him. I did, and gave him two.

About that time, I saw a professionally dressed white guy - immaculately groomed, modest sedan. He did a double take at my sign, nodded, and gave me a thumb's up, along with a big grin.

I also saw two young men in a pickup. They had piercings and eye makeup. "They're either recipients" I thought, "Or looking for trouble". They didn't want a Bible when I paused, so I kept going.

"God bless you" I heard as I came back. Huh? It was one of the young men. He basically said he likes what I do and God would bless me for it. I told him I'd pray for him daily, along with my recipients, and he said thank you.

Funny how the two "unlikely" people were the nicest. Most everyone ignored me. The rest glared. Tough crowd, Bammel and Greens.

They are actually the toughest I've served. I guess that's one reason I keep going back. That, and I'd be a TERRIBLE believer if I didn't serve my physical neighbors, too.

It was getting dark, my feet devoured and swelling. I called it a day, put away my gear, and went to the gas station. The cashier asked if she could help me.

"I would love to give you each a Bible" I said. She took a look at one, and called her coworkers over. I handed out 3!

NOW I'm done. And I went home.

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    EVERYTHING in the world is getting between me and my Handouts. Work, home life, even the weather.

I'd still do this, because I *have* to." I just can't abide the thought of people suffering without God. I HAVE to at least attempt an introduction.
    Acts, I SO know how you feel! I have things/people in my life that makes my schedule rarely open for evangelizing. So when I get the chance, I try to find like-minded believers. There are less and less these days, always things getting in the way!

I started talking about going out by myself, but was told that isn't wise. Probably true, but it is turning into a fire in my soul!

God bless you and Ron and the recipients. I am praying for the family of the driver who died, maybe they will read that Bible you gave him.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Hi, thanks for the updates. Sounds like alot going on with the drivers, alot of tragedy.

I have a question about the lady who asked you for all that you had. You said that you gave her 6 invitations. What are the invitations? Are they prayers to say to become saved?

Oh, an Invitation is an Evangelism NT produced by Lifeway, for 50 cents each.

I have been allowed to put a coupon on top but I don't know if that was a gift to me or not.

Let me chase down a link. http://www.lifeway.com/Product/hcsb-...ent-P005076316

I've handed out thousands of those rascals!

I handed out a couple of Bibles yesterday, one to a Eritrean guy who nearly hugged it, another to a guy from Guyana who was equally excited.

Firefly, don't forget I was on my own completely for 2 years when I started. My husband was hostile, mocking, and did everything he could to prevent the Handouts.

I just reminded myself of the passage I read where the devil often uses our "close" family to attack us.

Anyway, it was just me and the handcart on the bus for 2 years. Ron started helping in 2012. A little after that I met a church who gave me somewhere around a thousand Bibles, which God distributed in about a year. I have, off and on, had additional one time helpers but only one ever wanted to come back, and he has some mobility/personal issues. This year I've gotten more help with Bibles but still pretty much me, and sometimes Ron.

Ron is very picky about weather. He will only go if the weather is perfect, which isn't often.

I am trying to lure him to Bissonnet because they have a lot of prostitutes. I would like to get them early evening sometime.

That's the only problem I ever had - a hooker was very confrontational with me, but her pimp held her back. Never thought I'd be signing "Saved by the pimp!"

I always wanted to do international missions. I do. In Houston.

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Probably true, but it is turning into a fire in my soul!
    Firefly, I will be praying for you.

If God has put it in your heart, and He has lit that fire, then you should go for it.
    and to wait for his Son from heaven,
    whom he raised from the dead—Jesus,
    who rescues us from the coming wrath
    1 Thessalonians 1:10

Absolutely.

I had every reason in the world not to go, including a personal life in flames! I went anyway, SO glad I did.

When I think about Heaven, getting there, I always want to hug everyone who was impacted in some way by my ministry.

I get my Bibles here

I have another question for you. When you give a recipient a bible, do you give them anything else with it? I believe you've mentioned candy also. I was just wondering if you give them a little care package, I guess you could call it, along with the bible.
    I think you have such a unique ministry and an incredible way to reach so many people.

I've done it both ways.

Let me see if I have some photos.

The trick, for me, was finding candy that could withstand Houston's summer weather. Little bags of Skittles were good for that, and little Paydays. Caramels and chocolates are very bad unless it's wintertime, otherwise they melt all over the place and make a horrible mess.

Basically (photo app isn't working), a quart ziplock for an Invitation. Gallon for a whole Bible.

You can also do scripture booklets from World Missionary Press (www.wmpress.org), in a sandwich baggy with a nice handful. I did the heck out of that (at least a thousand). Overall, everyone was very happy to get them.

I handed out 4 (regular Bibles) today to service providers. Two of them were so excited they hugged their Bibles.

I get my Bibles here

Thanks for the prayers, Wishing4! I got to go out witnessing recently with others!

Serene,

I started by attemping to copy Acts, but that just wasn't working. Some things worked better, some never happened. Then someone started a ministry handing out tracts, and I joined that. I have kept the idea of Bibles in gallon Ziplocs, because sometimes we will encounter someone who lives on the streets, and they cannot protect their things from rain many times. I include a tract as a bookmark at the beginning of John.

As you talk to strangers more you will realize that the best thing is just to be yourself. Some evangelists are direct and jump right to the idea of being saved. Others strike up a conversation and try to turn it towards religion, then towards Christ. The more you practice the easier it will be. It is definitely a lot easier with others to encourage and protect. So far i have not felt God leading me to definitely go out by myself. I will try to find other ways I can minister, or find things I can do like longer prayer time or longer Bible studies.

I think the most important thing is to start trying (well, and of course prayer and repentance before you go out). I started trying to do someting, then found a group of believers who also wanted to hand out tracts. God will bless you as you strive to please Him.

God has a different method for each of us.

Some make better adoption counselors at the Birthright center, rape victims, etc.

Some make better "social workers" for friends/family in trouble. I know a few like that.

My husband warns everyone about the Mark of the Beast. It's his passion. If nothing else, those left behind will remember him when it rolls around. "Don't take the mark".

One of my coworkers tried shoving tracts and Bibles at people outside a grocery store. It was a disaster. I tried to warn him, let God bring them to you.

That's why I have the sign. When they're ready, so am I.

Mailman Dan does evangelism dressed as a Stormtrooper from Star Wars. His Dad is Darth Vader and they have other characters, as well. They do photos, witness, and have a very fruitful ministry.

I think only Dan could do that.

I get my Bibles here

Wow, I never would have thought of a ministry like mailman Dan has! How way super awesomely cool is God!!!!!!!!!

I want to get on this wagon! I love the tracts and Bible packages. <3