Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

You should see her during my God Time - she rubs all over the Bible.

She is definitely saved.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I'm doing a handout tomorrow in the ghetto.

1. Nationwide
    2. I am seeing some local bigmouth, pompous, idiots "from the community" making those "I'm not telling you to riot but if you do we can't stop you" kind of speeches.

Time to throw THE WORD into the mix.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

I think the seminal moment of today's handout would be me, "chasing" the "Big, Scary, Black man" around the median, laughing as I brandished a couple of Bibles at him. He slowed down, I went over, and he pulled off slowly. I began to jog next to him, digging in my bag for some Bibles. He started laughing, and went around the turnaround. So did I, also laughing. "I'm gonna catch you!"

He "let" me catch him and took a couple New Testaments.

I couldn't work my usual spot today. Ron and I encountered several people, also clad in orange safety vests, panhandling "for charity" on every median at the intersection.

[Bad Word]

I scratched my head for a minute and looked in both directions. South wasn't good. So I went north, about half a block, and found myself at the median turnaround point.

I "could" have worked my usual spot, but I didn't want the panhandlers shoving their buckets at the recipients. I also noticed any bills were going straight into pockets. I knew I'd have a lot of grief and I aim to do my job without drama, if possible.

As it turned out, it worked great. The cars could see the panhandlers a mile off (they were not homeless, but hired by the "charity" to beg), so they didn't stop at the light. Instead, they all stopped right next to me.

Plus I had all the turnaround traffic, which accounted for quite a few Bibles.

First I had a family, father and kids, 5 total. They had to wait a minute to get over (they were walking) but they did and I gave them each a Bible.

I had another young man, who took a whole Bible, but liked the New Testaments so much he asked if he could get some "to pass out tomorrow, to my family" - I told him absolutely. He walked off with 8 total.

I had a lot of singles, and a few doubles. At one point I smelled marijuana very strongly.

The people didn't know what to make of me. Some people were outright glaring, but I mainly got a lot of befuddlement and a tremendous amount of double-takes. One white guy almost drove off the road, he kept turning his head and gaping at us as he drove off.

I secretly hoped he'd come back, but he didn't.

I had plenty of young guys walk by, come over, and grab a Bible. They seemed to really appreciate my efforts.

One guy came up and brought me drinks. This happens frequently, in that "horrible bad neighborhood". I was able to give him a couple of New Testaments.

I had a Spanish father come by and get Bibles for his family, and some guys in cars.

Ron found it funny - I'd ask "English or Spanish?" and one guy told me "English!" adamantly - but he was Latino. "I don't care what they take" I told Ron "As long as they read it."

I let everyone know I was praying for them, and they were happy to hear it.

I was observed by some young men at an apartment complex, surrounded in an iron fence and barbed wire. They had no trouble climbing it, though.

I've been working the neighborhood for a little over 2 years now, they know me pretty well. I'm harmless.

I had a couple I think came back, and like I said, plenty of people who stopped going the wrong way to get a Bible.

One guy held up a couple of fingers as he idled in the far right lane. As soon as I could, I bolted over and made his delivery.

All in all, a good handout. I had some contractors, black, who seemed very touched to find me working. I was and am delighted to give them Bibles.

Today I had an encounter - a driver was screaming at me about young black men. I told him 90% are murdered "by their own". He said if the black community terrorized enough people and did enough damage, society would "have to fix the problem".

I told him "Only God can fix this."

Which is why I hand out Bibles - they have the answer, to everything.

I get my Bibles here

I prayed for you and them last night. Thanks for the update! I love hearing about it and will continue praying.
    and to wait for his Son from heaven,
    whom he raised from the dead—Jesus,
    who rescues us from the coming wrath
    1 Thessalonians 1:10

I wonder if it still counts as a handout.

Today we went to see my psychiatrist (he prescribes my crazy meds). I just go in, tell him any symptoms/progress, for a couple minutes, get the prescriptions, then leave.

It's a very long ride on public transit each way.

Ron wanted to bring his walker. He is able to use that for "short" trips.

So, on the way home, (because Ron had the walker) paratransit hired a regular yellow cab to take us home. The driver was Nigerian. He loved the fact we spoke a little of his dialect and we got to talking (of course) about Jesus.

The driver confided he was raised muslim in Nigeria and came to America. He lived in a room-mate situation with 2 other muslims and a Christian, all from Nigeria. The muslims had a horrible witness, the Christian did not. They spent a lot of time together, reading the Bible, and he got saved.

Now he witnesses to his passengers and other cab drivers whenever he gets the chance.

As we rode home I got a very loud inner prompting to give him some Bibles.

Remember that Bible sale? Sponsors sent me some, and I bought a lot on my own. So, as he helped Ron out of the cab, Ron gave him a cash tip (not required, but appreciated) and I "tipped" him with a case of "my" New Testaments.

He was very excited to see them!

One day God will show me where they ended up. Until then, please pray for him and his recipients.

I get my Bibles here

I was going to edit but it's been too long.

I am seriously wanting to do a Handout on Friday.

Please pray for God to direct me. I really like 610 @ Post Oak - I was there today, massive traffic, NICE medians.

My aunt about had kittens saying they would clear me out; but I know the rules (basically don't ask for anything, touch the cars, or impede traffic).

However, I feel God wants me back in the ghetto, maybe a new spot in the ghetto (I have a couple of miles to play with).

Or there's the apartments near "gunspoint" mall - people murdered there on a regular basis.

Anyway, if led please ask God to guide me where I should go.

I get my Bibles here

I will be praying for you.

and the driver you gave the Bibles too.

Thank you! I was so happy I could.

I am really liking this for the Handout. It's right in the middle of the bad area, and a Burger King for Ron after (he loves BK).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8632...Ar7vfGkaNA!2e0

I get my Bibles here

We're taking paratransit one way, with Ron in the wheelchair.

After the handout, a meal, then a ride home on the bus (then pushing Ron home half a mile from the bus stop). Then, some work.

Please pray for all the usual, eager recipients, empty corner, etc.

I get my Bibles here

Praying for you and your next handout, most importantly for the recipients. I too, love reading about your experiences. Thanks so much for sharing them!

Praying for a great handout today, Acts!
    What a wonderful day it will be when we hear the trumpet blasts!!

I expect trouble with every handout. It can come before, during, or after the Handout.

During generally equates to a migraine, or bad weather. Once it was a very stinky dead rat on my median.

Today I had transportation issues - at least getting there. Our pickup ride was very late. Then he failed to check his computer - drove us nearly all the way to the handout location, had to do a u-turn half a mile from our drop, and ended up getting us there nearly an hour late.

I was very calm. "They're not ready yet (recpients). They're still waking up." Ron was a little more vocal. Yeah, the driver screwed up but Ron's ongoing complaints more than punished him.

The driver, in the meantime, decided he was my spiritual adviser. In addition to a bunch of pompous windbag dogma, he tried to tell me I was doing the Handout "all wrong" by handing out (any) New Testaments (My crate had 90% whole Bibles).

"You know" I told Ron "The mark of a true Bible teacher is humility." I also thought the best teachers are always quoting various passages of Scripture.

Ron reminded me of my first Bible handout, and I said. "I tell you what. I get the north side of the intersection, and I'll hand out what I choose. You can have the south side, and hand out whatever YOU'D like." He sputtered a lot - of course he'd tell me what to do, but to actually go do, himself? [rolleyes]

That one always stops them dead. Some want to tell me how to do the Handouts. Fine, go do your own handout. I don't have a patent.

Anyway, finally there. Ron had to use the bathroom so we went to the Burger King. I gave a Bible to a customer at the store, who held the door for Ron, then one to the guy waiting at the bus stop. Finally, out on the blessedly empty median.

Business was pretty good, right from the start, especially since it was nearly 10. I had planned to be there during rush hour. Well, post-rush was plenty busy. I handed out 3 during the first light cycle.

I did 60 in about an hour.

One van load of spanish guys, looking interested. I headed over, offering 2. One frowned. "We need 3". I pulled out another and handed it over!

Another car, she wanted a Bible right as the light was changing. I ran over and tripped over a lane divider, falling into her car. I was fine, the car was fine, she got her Bible. I was a little embarrassed but not much.

Funny - I have PTSD from Ron's accident and normally freak around any kind of traffic. Not on a Handout.

I got every pedestrian I could, and saturated the bus stop a couple times.

One family had two young men, Mom, Dad, and a baby in the stroller. They were waiting on the bus. The boys were very interested, pointing at the sign and exclaiming among themselves. I headed over, and offered 4 Bibles to the father. He looked at me, baffled, as I showed him the sign and told him I'd be praying. As I crossed back to the median, I saw him store the Bibles in the stroller. The bus came very quickly after that.

I had a mature lady, laughing at me. She finally rolled down the window. "I'm a pastor's wife" she said. "We have Bibles all over the house!" I asked her to pray for the recipients. She said absolutely. "I do have a problem" she said. "Someone just gave us a lot of Bibles and I don't know how to give them away."

Animatedly, I told her "Mardel, sharpie marker, posterboard, laminate". I explained how "I just stand there and God brings them!" She nodded, interested, and the light changed. Off she went.

I would so love to see someone ELSE do a successful handout.

I saw a ton of Metrolift (paratransit), and I waved and grinned at them all. They did double-takes, recognizing us (pretty hard to miss us), and honked delightedly. I had a lot of fun.

"I like the median" Ron told me. "I like it a lot. I really like the Burger King." I agreed, my only complaint being the lane divider. However, I was pretty used to it by the end, and I only tripped the one time.

I kept handing them out to groups of friends in cars, family members in cars, etc. Some people clearly went out of their way to avoid me or look the other way. Good. Keeps me humble. I just realized no one laughed at me today.

An attendant from the gas station came out and "swept the parking lot" for the duration of the Handout, probably trying to figure us out. Since I don't accept money, touch the cars, or impede traffic, I am legally fine (for now).

I had some cars where they looked interested in a Bible, but I couldn't get over before the light change. Others, driving past, looked very interested but couldn't stop or come back.

I pray I get them on the next handout.

Last one: I had 2 Bibles left. I headed over to a pickup. An old man was driving, a younger man, clearly his son, in the passenger seat. They had a doxie dog with them. She was adorable. I handed over the Bibles and the young man pulled out his wallet.

"Oh, I don't accept money"

The man gaped at me as the dog crawled across "Daddy's" lap and stuck her head out the window, sniffing my hand.

"Wow" he said. "Really?"

"Nope" I grinned. "I'll be praying!"

The light changed and they left, as I yelled at Ron to roll up his sign. He's always so shocked every time I tell him we're done with the handout.

He was sure happy to carry the very light box, over to Burger King. We got some bacon cheeseburgers and value fries. Yum. Then we took a bus home.

Please pray for the recipients!

As of now I have pretty much worked my way up and down a 12 mile stretch on Antoine, on the western border of a notorious ghetto. I find it fascinating that I have a literal mission field.

I get my Bibles here

Tonight, the kids and I were driving home from visiting my mom and dad. The kids were watching a movie on my laptop so besides praying that God would keep me from hitting any deer (which He did because I noticed three trying to cross and had plenty of time to slow down and no one behind me) I also prayed for you and your recipients. Thanks for sharing your stories.