Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

I will be praying for you and the cab driver today.

We just had a family at church whose child lost the lower parts of both legs. I can't imagine how that makes life change.
    and to wait for his Son from heaven,
    whom he raised from the dead—Jesus,
    who rescues us from the coming wrath
    1 Thessalonians 1:10

I think it's harder for adults.

Ron, for instance, could care less about being blind. He hates the hearing loss and right side paralysis, because he remembers when that all worked.

From what I have seen, children have an easier time adapting, but it's got to be awful for the parents.

I know I could care less about my brain damage, unless I am waiting on a ride. It's not like I could drive and lost it - I never had it at all.

All this to say I will be praying for the family.

I didn't see James but Ron would like to do a before-church-handout on Sunday. The last one was great so we'll do another.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Yes, children are amazing. I love working with them

I recently realized that children are good to have at a funeral. They bring the hope of new life, sometimes even can bring smiles in the midst of tears...

Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread, but I just get amazed at God the more I watch and interact with children.

They also can be great, fearless evangelists when they are young. (trying to get back on topic...)
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

I'm definitely doing a Handout on Sunday morning. Really, what better way to spend Sunday than a Handout followed by church and fellowship?

I need to remember to get more business cards, though.

The church may be getting me some Invitation New Testaments. These are the lowest priced evangelism New Testament, available from Lifeway. That would be great! They are pretty, they have a road to salvation, and even an 800 number if they have questions.

I've handed out cases and cases of them.

So, I may have an ongoing source for English. Great. My former church (moved due to transportation issues) literally had a whole room full of Bibles, which I gave away.

Spanish is always a problem. However, God reminded me Walmart sells a good cheap Spanish Bible - a very nice one that has a reading plan and road to salvation in it. They are the cheapest whole Spanish available and the recipients love them. They look very nice.

God kind of let me know Walmart can supply those needs for now. I haven't been doing the massive 100 at a time handouts of late, so the Walmart quanitites (today I got 5, their whole stock) should be fine.

God also reminds me quality is the important factor.

Now I just need to figure out the next handout after Sunday. Gunspoint mall? Acres Homes again? Church area?

Church area is plenty rough, here are the crime stats from April. I just love, love, love how the church chose to "take it to the streets" instead of hiding in the outskirts of Houston.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/s...apr1417e20.htm

Ron is suprisingly happy to go out into hellish conditions and wave his sign. That makes it easy for me to go.

Please pray for the recipients: past, present, future.

Please ask God to guide me on purchases (Ron gave me a raise because the business is doing better), and future handouts.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

A couple of updates: hellish work week, BUT....

I have a case of Bibles inbound.

I have a Handout Sunday and Ron is 100% onboard.

I was asked not to share certain details, but today I was approached by someone who knows about the Bible Handouts and has seen the sign (s).

"I made you a new sign" he told me "But you can't talk about who gave it to you" (or, I assume, reveal details that would backtrack).

The man makes signs for a living. Saved.

Apparently he found my signs.... improvable.

My first sign:

On my second handout, one guy spent the whole light cycle lecturing me about my "terrible" sign and offering "helpful" suggestions on improvement.

Today's sponsor also asked if I needed a "junior" sign for Ron and I said yes. I should get the sign sometime in the next week or so.

Things are picking up!

I get my Bibles here

Lots of fun today.

Some of the recipients saw me singing along with "Gimme Dat" and dancing on the corner as I waved the Free Bibles sign.

I wore pink today. Someone sent me a pink safety vest, and I had a hot pink sign. I took them both.

I had a case with a little over 60 Bibles. I had a feeling it would be a *better* day.

I was right.

For one, we had a great ride. The driver was wonderful and enjoyed eating his ice cream as he drove.

He also took Antoine. I have been wanting a "new" spot in Acres Homes. Gulf Bank @ Antoine was suggested, but I saw for myself it was a horrible median. Victory, or West Tidwell, are much better. I always hear of people getting shot over by Tidwell.

When the driver realized my plan, he slowed down so I could investigate each option. Once I saw Tidwell, though, I was very happy.

We got out and I got Ron locked and loaded. I had a little trouble pushing him - I kept bumping into jagged parts of the sidewalk. The impacts nearly caused Ron to drop the case!

I saw a lot of people begging in the vicinity. When they saw us they realized we were competition of some sort, and began glaring.

Welcome to Fondren.

I got over to our median, happily empty, and setup. The drivers began gaping as I donned my pink safety vest and unrolled my hot pink Free Bibles sign.

I handed out my first Bible within a few minutes. We worked for over an hour (we arrived early). I handed out 40, but 50 total (more on that).

I had a cheerleading section this time. At one point, an older black lady rolled down her window to gape at me. I headed over and she waved me off, nicely. I backed up and headed over to a latino lady who wanted 2. As I handed them over, the older lady began yelling encouragement. I thought it was very sweet - she even pumped her fist at me and waved as she drove off!

She had an interesting story to tell at church!

I heard a car honking to my left as I worked. I waved in the general direction and went back to work. They began honking again, and shouting. I looked back and 3-4 young asians were hanging out of the car windows, waving and grinning!

I had a couple other cars, clearly Christians, wave and grin as they saw me.

The Creflo Dollar church van gaped at me in shock. When I waved, they drove off very fast!

I had some recipients who were a lot of fun: one Nigerian guy had his window down (poor people never have power windows, or air conditioning, making them easy to serve). I had just found a FOE/BIC mixtape (Gospel Rap made with artist's permission) CD. I asked if he liked rap, he said yes. I asked how many Bibles he'd like, he said one. I handed the CD over along with the New Testament.

He took it, but looked at me reluctantly. "But I don't have any money" he said apologetically.

"Good!" I replied briskly! "I wouldn't take it!" I grinned at him, told him I'd be praying daily, and headed off as he thanked me.

Another lady really wanted 2 Bibles. Her car was in such bad condition she had to open her car door to receieve them, but said she didn't have any money. I told her the same thing as she gaped at me.

Southwest has a rather aggressive panhandler population. I have discovered I have to stand back about 10 feet from the curb so the cars feel "safe" approaching.

Of course I had people who said no. One said he didn't want a Bible because he wasn't a Christian. I said he could always read it and make his own decision. He made a blunt refusal and drove off.

A panhandler stopped working his corner and came to watch us for a while. After about 15 minutes, I felt led to go over to him. "I don't want no Bible" he said.

As I turned to go back to Ron, I saw a man get out of his car and head over to Ron (whom I'd left alone), attempting to give him money! I started yelling no repeatedly and got over there.

I told him "We don't want money, we want to give you this!" as I handed over the last whole Spanish Bible.

Ron's talking book machine acts as a boom box if you have a flash drive containing music. I brought my music.

One of my favorite Bible Handout songs is Gimme Dat by Ambassador. Ron laughed as I sang and danced the first time.

About 45 minutes later, I'm tired. I'm hot. My brains are cooked. Everyone's waving me off like a gnat. He cued it up again and all the people who'd just said no got treated to a little show!

I was so hot I dripped with sweat. Even my ponytail was literally dripping. I was OK, but need to bring "more" fluids than I think I'll need, next time.

I think people are getting used to me now. Instead of gaping in alarm, they're chuckling at me and grinning at the crazy Bible lady.

Good. Like I told Ron, nearly everyone who laughs at me will also take a Bible!

I was about run out. I decided to hand out two more Bibles and then wrap it up.

I handed out one.

Then a guy from church came running up. He saw me as he rode past on the bus. He got off and came over, wanting to help.

"I'll set you up!" I told him. I gave him a plastic bag with a sack of Bibles, Ron's sign, and my extra "Garment of praise" (safety vest)

Isaiah 61:3 NKJV

To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”

He ran off to another corner. I restocked my own Bibles and watched him work for a minute. "He's a natural" I told Ron.

I started getting dizzy - almost out of Bibles, I decided to wrap it up. In the meantime, our church friend had distributed 10 Bibles of his own. That's what I meant 40 + 10.

"I had a lot of fun" he told me. "I'd love to do it again". I could tell he meant it.

I went to the gas station and got a couple of large Diet sodas (I had drunk a quart of powerade on the way to the handout spot). As I pushed Ron back to the church, someone honked and pulled in. I got out a Bible, figuring someone had doubled back for a Bible after all.

Nope, it was my aunt and uncle. She took the photo. We talked for a while, figured the wheelchair would fit in their trunk, and agreed to meet for lunch after church.

We had fun.

I get my Bibles here

Yesterday Ron asked me to get him some mints. I couldn't find his brand but I found some wrapped hard candy in big assortments.

I used to hand out a dozen bags of candy, with scripture booklets or Bibles, every day. It got expensive and tiring to do it up all the time. I stopped a while back, and really only do it for Halloween now.

But, I thought, why not.

I bought 3 bags, a little over 400 pieces. I came home and got out the Scripture booklets.

www.wmpress.org

I began bagging. I did up about 20 bags.

This morning I put several New Testaments, some nice Spanish Gospels of John, and a couple new whole Bibles into my bag.

We were going downtown. I gave one bag to the driver, and one Spanish to another client, who said "Muy bueno".

The Transit building has several customer service windows on the first floor. I made sure each clerk got a bag. They were pretty happy to see it.

Then Ron called one of his "favorite" supervisors to come to the lobby. I gave her the bag with the Bibles, candy, etc. She was thrilled and said she took a Bible for herself.

Ron talked to her later, and she said "They were all over that candy when I brought it upstairs".

I guess that counts as a handout.

I get my Bibles here