Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who else is experiencing bizarre weather?

Here is update an about the Weather are so a crazy.............

March has meant 6,000 weather records broken
    By Chris Dolce, Jonathan Erdman, Nick Wiltgen, weather.com

We've seen an amazing, historic run of record warmth in March 2012. It's been the talk of towns from Minnesota and Michigan to Tennessee and Georgia for a couple of weeks now.

First, consider the sheer number of daily record highs either tied or broken over the past two weeks. The counts in the table below are courtesy of the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) since Mar. 9. Counts from Mar. 23 are still being tabulated and will be posted later.
    Day # of Records
    Fri. Mar. 9 101
    Sat. Mar. 10 105
    Sun. Mar. 11 189
    Mon. Mar. 12 138
    Tue. Mar. 13 218
    Wed. Mar. 14 460
    Thu. Mar. 15 662
    Fri. Mar. 16 496
    Sat. Mar. 17 565
    Sun. Mar. 18 586
    Mon. Mar. 19 510
    Tue. Mar. 20 710
    Wed. Mar. 21 575
    Thu. Mar. 22 295
    Advertise | AdChoices

If you pull out your calculator and add the numbers up from March 1 through March 22, the total exceeds 6,000! This speaks to the widespread nature and longevity of this warm spell. By the way, there have been only about 250 daily record lows during that same time, a ratio of roughly 24 record highs for every record low.

In a typical March, particularly in the nation's northern tier, you may see, perhaps, one or perhaps two days of record warmth before a sharp cold front brings that spring tease to a screeching halt. Not so in March 2012.

When considering monthly record highs, meaning the warmest temperature on record for the month of March, according to NCDC, there have been 430 such monthly record highs tied or broken!

International Falls, Minn., self-promoted as the "Icebox of the Nation", tied or broke daily record highs 12 of 13 days from Mar. 10-22. This includes a 79-degree reading on March 18, which was the warmest day ever recorded during March in International Falls.

Chicago, Ill., tied or set new daily record highs nine days in a row from March 14-22! In this streak, eight of the days were in the 80s, including an astounding 87-degree high on March 21. The National Weather Service in Chicago recently called the warm spell "historic" and something that is unlikely to be matched in our lifetime.

More top weather stories from weather.com

Wednesday, March 21, both Marquette, Mich., (81 degrees) and Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., (83 degrees) shattered their previous March record highs. In Marquette, it was their earliest-in-season 80+ degree day on record, breaking the old record by 22 days! Despite a shorter period of record in Marquette (records since 1961), that's still an amazing feat.

Thursday, March 22, Detroit, Mich., reached 86 degrees, setting an all-time record high for the month of March. The previous record was set just the day before. Prior to this March 2012 warm spell, the record was 84 degrees set in late March of 1945. If that wasn't enough, their 10-day streak with highs at least in the 70s was their longest such streak so early in the season, topping the previous record by over a month!

Plotted on the interactive map here are the many records set for various cities in this mild March. Zoom in on the map and click on the red locator icons to view the record-breaking information for each location. You will find many cities that have set records for the warmest temperatures so early in the season, monthly records or longest streaks of warm weather so early in the season.

Below is a map of temperature departures from average for the first three weeks of March. Notice the massive swath of much warmer than average air from the Rockies east (brown, red, orange shadings). Many spots are 10 to 15 degrees above average for the month so far!

Chicago, Detroit and Indianapolis are all currently seeing their warmest March on record with only a handful of days to go in the month. Records date back to the 1870s in all of these cities.

(I can't make an image on this...seem not work anyway; please check website below will tell you where get image of weather weird)

This shows temperature departures from average for the first 23 days of March 2012. The brown shadings show where temperatures have been most above average.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...records-broken

Quote Originally Posted by DragonTiger View Post
    Here is update an about the Weather are so a crazy.............

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...records-broken
    Wow! Thanks for posting this!

My daughter is in Miami right now and said the weather is perfect and "normal" right now, go figure!
    " In the end, all we have is our relationship with Jesus Christ." Nearing Midnight

Behold, HE comes, riding on the clouds , shining like the sun, at the trumpet call.
    Lift your voice, it's the year of Jubilee, And out of Zion's hill, salvation comes !

Here in Central California we had biting frost this winter and until this month had no rain for 60+ consecutive days. That is unusual for us in January - March. This is critical as unless we get more rain and mountain snow, Central California could be looking at a coming draught....pray not!

Here in South Florida it is already hot....but it's always hot, so nothing new I guess......hot, hot and more hot weather....

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

We have been breaking records temps all fall, winter and now spring. IT is ridiculous hot over here... Bugs are popping out much earlier and veggies and fruits are expensive because crops are not performing as they should due to the unseasonable temps.
    Thank you, God, for my salvation!

Dogwoods and azaleas blooming months early, south Georgia weather hundreds of miles north and a tad eastwards
    The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. (Revelation 22:21) ESV

Dispatcher from the new teenage generation

Here in NC we have had unusually warm weather for this time of year, I really no winter to speak of at all. It's like we skipped from fall to spring.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHIM! View Post
    All I know is that something is wrong with the weather when I heard my kids went swimming in Lake Michigan yesterday. (My wife and her parents took them up to the lake this week while Daddy gets to work. Yay Daddy.) It should be frozen this time of year, instead they are barbecuing and star gazing as if it were July.

You know somthing is up when all the city snowplows have been fitted with ice cream truck musical speakers. Gosh I hate that song.
    I'm in Michigan, it did hit the mid 80's last week.
    This morning we are covering up our tender plants and the fruit growers had a sleepless night
    worrying about a freeze.
    Maybe God is getting tired of being called "mother nature"?
    I just cringe when I hear people say that.
    Please ask The Lord to open my daughter's heart, Thank you!

I worked outside for the past 2 weeks in the yard along with all the neighbors. They even had a "block party" so to speak on Saturday evening. On Sunday afternoon they squared off a piece of land to make a community garden of sorts. Then on Monday it turned cold and there's no one to be seen. lol
    I'm afraid this is a sign of what's to come this summer......one, the neighbors "whooping" it up and Heat being up!
    I've always kind of watched for the changing of the weather as one of the signs of us going home and as far as God being called Mother Nature, this too has always set me on edge. I can't begin to imagine how it makes God feel.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 NIV

In my area, our fall was like winter, our winter was like spring, and our spring is now like summer. Maybe summer will be like fall, or a new season will emerge called "torcher"
    Ephesians 3:17-18
    That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

"It is by faith alone we are saved, but not by faith which is alone."

The last 2 out of 3 winters were so cold here in Scotland that it was warmer in the Antarctic! This winter, however, has been very dry, windy and in this past week the temperatures have been soaring to their highest ever level. We are now hotter than Hawaii! And the Med too.

If I was a non-believer I would believe in the 'global-warming' arguments.

Yup it sure is strange weather we're having.
    Isaiah 43:1-3 Romans 10:9 John 6:35 John 6:40

It's been the driest month of March ever historically recorded in Colorado this year, which typically sees the most precipitation, in the form of snow.

Here's to hoping for a blizzard or two this April!
    "Matthew 6:34 - Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Quote Originally Posted by Whale View Post
    It's been the driest month of March ever historically recorded in Colorado this year, which typically sees the most precipitation, in the form of snow.

Here's to hoping for a blizzard or two this April!
    We'll see as I have seen a foot of snow fall here in May once. But I have my doubts this year. Definetly the warmest March I can ever remember. We used to get snow and/or cold weather during spring break.
    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

National heat records shattered during March

It's been so warm in the United States this year, especially in March, that national records weren't just broken, they were deep-fried.

Temperatures in the lower 48 states were 8.6 degrees above normal for March and 6 degrees higher than average for the first three months of the year, according to calculations by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That far exceeds the old records.

The magnitude of how unusual the year has been in the U.S. has alarmed some meteorologists who have warned about global warming. One climate scientist said it's the weather equivalent of a baseball player on steroids, with old records obliterated.

"Everybody has this uneasy feeling. This is weird. This is not good," said Jerry Meehl, a climate scientist who specializes in extreme weather at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. "It's a guilty pleasure. You're out enjoying this nice March weather, but you know it's not a good thing."

It's not just March.

"It's been ongoing for several months," said Jake Crouch, a climate scientist at NOAA's National Climatic Data Center in Ashville, N.C.

The first quarter of 2012 broke the January-March record by 1.4 degrees. Usually records are broken by just one- or two-tenths of a degree. U.S. temperature records date to 1895.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/...#ixzz1rWuWsymT

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    National heat records shattered during March

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/...#ixzz1rWuWsymT
    What happened to Oregon and Washington?We had frost on the ground the other morning.

Love the terminology here....

As weather gets biblical, insurers go missing

As weather disasters strike with more frequency, homeowners first get hit with the destruction or total loss of property. Many are then hit with the unexpected loss of homeowners insurance policies as insurance companies re-evaluate their financial liabilities.
    In this era of unpredictable weather patterns...
    "Last year (2011) was an extraordinary year for natural disasters,"
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83911S20120410

There was just four FEET of hail in Texas. I would call that beyond bizarre!

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis5:24 View Post
    There was just four FEET of hail in Texas. I would call that beyond bizarre!

Just came here to post the hail story. I had to double check they meant feet not inches. But it really was feet. We live in West Texas and dodged the major storms, but the clouds we saw in the distance were crazy.

Here's a link to the story.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...147083055.html

Quote Originally Posted by UberMaben View Post
    Just came here to post the hail story. I had to double check they meant feet not inches. But it really was feet. We live in West Texas and dodged the major storms, but the clouds we saw in the distance were crazy.

Here's a link to the story.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...147083055.html

Now that is BIZARRE!!! That last picture looks like a weird snow.

The clouds around here in Mass. today were very huge, black/white, and so magnificent looking, the heavens declare the works of HIS hands!
    " In the end, all we have is our relationship with Jesus Christ." Nearing Midnight

Behold, HE comes, riding on the clouds , shining like the sun, at the trumpet call.
    Lift your voice, it's the year of Jubilee, And out of Zion's hill, salvation comes !