Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Hunger Games?

Default What do you think about Hunger Games?

I just stumbled across this and thought I'd paste it here. I haven't seen the movie, or read the book, but it looks very dark and Big Brother'ish to me.

http://www.crossroad...unger-games.htm

The setting for this trendy teenage tale is an oppressive nation called Panem that occupies what once was America. From its well-protected Capitol, it controls its 12 regional Districts using sophisticated surveillance and communication technology.

The main character, sixteen-year-old Katniss, lives with her mother and twelve-year-old sister, Prim, in District 12, the poorest in the land. Since her father died in a coal-mine disaster, Katniss has been the family's sole provider. Day after day, she and her friend Gale hunt rabbits and gather herbs and berries on forbidden government land.

As George Orwell and our globalist leaders knew well, common enemies and celebrations inspire solidarity. The rulers of Panem seem to agree. Their catalyst for oneness is the annual "Hunger Games," which bear an ominous resemblance to the deadly but popular battles in the ancient Roman Coliseum.

Each of the 12 Districts must offer a yearly contribution to the Capitol in the form of two chosen "Tributes": a boy and a girl (ages twelve through eighteen). According to standard government rules, those twenty-four Tributes will kill each other until only one is left. And while the teenagers fight for their lives, the eyes of every household across the land are glued to the televised battlegrounds. That's the law.

Somehow the Capitol is able to film every dramatic scene. The agonizing fear of the hunted, the cruel plots of the strong, the miserable hiding places, the horrible injuries, the freezing night-time temperature, the manufactured rain... everything is visible to the families across the land. Their tears or cheers would depend on the fate of their own two Tributes -- and on the success of the pre-game promotion of popular contenders.

The Tributes are chosen through a lottery. In District 12, the lot falls on sweet little Prim, who screams out in terror. So big sister Katniss rushes forward to take her place.

Perhaps the author was inspired by the old Greek myth about Theseus, son of the sea god Poseidon. You may remember the story. A monstrous Minotaur inhabits a labyrinth under the magnificent palace of King Minos. Half man and half bull, it feeds only on human flesh. Periodically, seven maidens and seven young men were sacrificed to the menacing beast.

In this myth, the mighty Theseus arrives just in time for the human sacrifice. He offers to take the place of one of the young victims. Not wanting Theseus to die, the daughter of King Minos gives him a magic ball of thread that would guide him through the maze of the labyrinth. He finds the beast surrounded by skulls and bones and kills it.

Let's compare that myth with the courage of the lowly but faithful David, the shepherd boy who became king. When the giant Goliath threatened the nation and challenged Saul's soldiers to fight him, they trembled in their boots. Neither myth nor God's Truth could arouse them to try. So the young boy volunteered -- and won! Why?

Not because he was strong and clever, but because -- in his weakness -- he trusted His sovereign Lord. He knew that "with God all things are possible.” (Mark 10:27)

Commanded to Kill

The Tributes are brought to the Capitol for a week of training, grooming and publicity. After all, the success of the games demands heroes and heroines. Building the needed familiarity involves pre-battle promotion for each team. In glittering outfits and bathed in artificial flames, Katniss and her partner -- presented as lovers -- win praise from across the nation.

Their next stop (the final one for most) is this year's chosen wilderness. Unlike the more compassionate Peeta, Katniss is focused on personal survival. She trusts no one! After all, no one is safe until all others are killed. That rule would change before the games are over, but not yet. Not until nearly all are dead.

After hiding in the forest, desperately searching for water, escaping deadly bugs, surviving horrible injuries, and killing human foes, Katniss is back at the starting point with two other survivors: Peeta and their shrewd arch-foe Cato. Injured and desperate, all three face a new, unexpected threat: twenty-one murderous wolf-like "mutant" beasts -- part animal and part human. As Katniss observes,

"Cato lies on his side at the very top of the horn, twenty feet above the ground, gasping to catch his breath.... Now's my chance to finish him off. I stop midway up the horn and load another arrow, but just as I'm about to let it fly, I hear Peeta cry out. ...the mutts are right on his heels. 'Climb!' I yell....

"The mutts are beginning to assemble. As they join together, they raise up again to stand easily on their back legs giving them an eerily human quality. Each has a thick coat, some with fur that... vary from jet black to what I can only describe as blond. There’s something else about them, something that makes the hair rise up on the back of my neck...

"Then one of them...with silky waves of blond fur takes a running start and leaps onto the horn. Its back legs must be incredibly powerful because it lands a mere ten feet below us, its pink lips pulled back in a snarl. For a moment it hangs there, and in that moment I realize what else unsettled me about the mutts. The green eyes glowering at me are unlike any dog or wolf, any canine I’ve ever seen. They are unmistakably human. ... The blonde hair, the green eyes, the number ... it’s Glimmer [one of the dead Tributes]. I fire into its throat. Its body twitches and flops onto the ground... [His second death?]

"...I examine the pack, taking in the various sizes and colors. The small one with the red coat and amber eyes... Foxface! And there, the ashen hair and hazel eyes of the boy from District 9 who died as we struggled for the backpack! And worst of all, the smallest mutt, with dark glossy fur, huge brown eyes.... Teeth bared in hatred. Rue! [She was a sweet, twelve-year-old girl before she was killed]...

"Have they been programmed to hate our faces particularly because we have survived and they were so callously murdered? And the ones we actually killed... do they believe they’re avenging their own deaths?"

No answers were given. But the realms of myth, imagination and occultism have their own ways of making mysterious manifestations and reincarnations seem plausible. Many are found in the myths and practices behind shamanism, Hinduism, sorcery, witchcraft and Native American traditions. They all clash with Christianity. Consider these warnings:

"There shall not be found among you anyone who... practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord..." Deuteronomy 18:10-12

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them." Ephesians 5:11

We shouldn't be surprised by such stark contradictions to America's founding beliefs and values. After all, The Hunger Games fits into a dark world that supposedly replaced our own increasingly corrupt land. With today's delight in digital deceptions and mind-changing stimuli, our former free and moral nation may well fade away, swallowed up by a dictatorship that could encompass the world.

The Better Way

You read the comments near the top. Why were the readers so enthralled? What kinds of values did they find so captivating? Why do they "feel good" about a futuristic culture that turns mass murder into entertaining games? Let me guess:

The captivating killing fields?
    The strong, self-confident heroine?
    The sensual, shimmering, fiery costumes in the opening ceremony?
    The mandatory romance that titillated Panem's nation-wide audience?
    The reincarnated Tributes whose dead bodies revive and return as snarling wolf-like predators?

All these themes and fantasies fit our times. They stir curiosities that can't easily be quenched. They spread corrupt values that guide future behavior and preferences. They dull our children's desire for God's truth and ways.

Through schools and entertainment, their minds have already been attuned to a culture of myth, violence, sensual thrills and feminist superiority. Biblical truth is incompatible with mind-changing messages that bombard them from the Internet, computer games, peers and books. Following the crowd becomes natural; following God is not.

Yet, for our children today, the only safe place is with God -- hidden in Him, walking with Him, and wearing His armor. We need to pray for them -- asking God to shelter them in His love and fill them with His Spirit, so that they too can know Him and love His Word.

"O our God... we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You." 2 Chronicles 20:12

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
    "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Ephesians 6:10-13

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. " Romans 8:37

What on earth are parents thinking to let their kids wallow in this stuff?

I can't comment on the movie itself because I have not read the book or seen the movie (no intention to), but I can tell you it was all my students (high school) were talking about this past week.
    2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

I plan to watch it once it comes out on blockbuster.

I have neither read the book nor seen the movie. I'm not an avid movie fan, so I'm not sure I'll see this one. I have 3 granddaughters in their teens who are wantng to see the movie though. Actually, I think 2 of them saw it last night.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

I have not read the book, but have been curious about the whole movie, I can't believe how many people are taking their children to go see it, christian and non christian. My son's school took the 8th graders to see it yesterday because they had read the book. I am just worried because it sounds violent and children killing children does not sound like something I would want my children watching. One parent was descibing it as this is what will happen to our society if we are not careful.

I might read the book.

IMO, it is setting the stage for gladiator style games during the tribulation.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

After reading the article the op posted I will say.................................I read all three books....................loved them (except for the last but that is because of character development). We went to see the midnight movie as a family and LOVED it, but the movie is not for 13 or under. It is not a children's movie! There was no sex in the movie and only one minor curse word that I heard in the movie, but it is after 9pm tv violent.

The article was very opinionated and got it wrong on most levels! They were never presented as 'lovers' and that offends me that they used those terms. They were presented as boy friend and girl friend that is all; there was no sexual overtones in the book at all. There was much more in the article that I could fault, the article was just so wrong.

We also read the books as a family, it is well written and a very quick read. It is not so much a movie about the games but as the books develop it is more about a corrupt government that suppresses its people by having them "participate" in the games, the people (other than those who live in the capitol) DO NOT want the games but they are forced to or death for the family. The games are a way of keeping the districts (there are 12, used to be 13 but it was blown off the map because they rebelled) under control. The capitol district is the only group that doesn't have children who are forced to participate in the games. The capitol lives in extreme excess, they don't understand hunger or want. Katniss is a character who is forced to do things she doesn't want to do and that is what she deals with for the rest of the remaining books. As I said I loved the books it is no more violent than anything on tv after 9pm but people like to jump on band wagons.

I accidentally read a spoiler, so I am wondering if I want to read them at all now.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Just finished reading all three books and not sure I want to see the movie. I can control how graphic the violence is through reading the books but feel the movie would be confronting in this area. The reason I read them is I have a 12 and 13year old granddaughter who want to read and see the movie and I made a deal with my daughter some years ago that I would do my best to keep on top of new books and fads. We were able to contain the Harry Potter stuff this way and also other material.

The Crossroads critique is good for those parents who don't have the time or inclination to read them and can use this as a guideline. However, I agree in part with another poster, that they have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick with their focus on a sexual theme. The author, Suzanne Collins, is skilful in presenting relationships while steering clear of sex.

I can't honestly say I recommend them for children, because that is what 12-14 yr olds are, and I found the theme rather dark and struggled to find any light at all. Even when it seemed rebellion could prevail, there was no relief because man is inherently evil and one had the feeling that the Capitol could rise again. I was reminded over and over of another author, an Australian, John Marsden who wrote a series some years ago called The Day the War Began but Suzanne Collins managed to not be so heavy in her writing.

Food for thought..

Why in this nation does a movie about children fighting to the death draw this kind of crowd?

Would you still see the movie if it was called the "rape" games, and the kids went around raping each other to win?

Would you read the book?

Why did we get so relaxed on our viewing standards, that children killing each other for food is worth seeing?

Dan~~~>just thinking outloud

I haven't seen the movie or read the books, but the first thing I thought when I heard about it was 'sounds like something that would happen during the trib'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman Dan View Post
    Food for thought..

Why in this nation does a movie about children fighting to the death draw this kind of crowd?

Would you still see the movie if it was called the "rape" games, and the kids went around raping each other to win?

Would you read the book?

Why did we get so relaxed on our viewing standards, that children killing each other for food is worth seeing?

Dan~~~>just thinking outloud

This is part of what bugs me so much about it. It sounds like survival of the fittest and reminds me of what I've read about the tribulation. It reminds me that people will stand by and even watch while Christians are slaughtered. It bothers me in the part of me that hates evil.

I've already heard more about this than I would want to. I cannot imagine why this is drawing such a crowd of watchers. I can only say, that society is going down hill fast, farther and farther away from our Loving Heavenly Father, if this is what our entertainment has resorted to.
    I pray Jesus will remove us from this evil earth soon. How much longer, Oh Lord?
    Come Lord Jesus and bring us home soon!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast."
    Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

I may not be perfect, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!

My kids haven't read the books (yet), but they're talking about the movie because everybody is talking about the movie. They're dropping hints by telling me how good everyone says it is. I've been gently responding that while it may well be a "good" movie, I'm not comfortable with the idea of 12-18 year olds having to kill each other or be killed. I talked about the Roman empire and the "games" they were having towards the time of their demise. Somethings aren't good no matter how you package them.
    Tall Timbers

MIGHT BE CONSIDERED A SPOILER

I have heard the military vets like the last book because it clearly shows the effects of PTSD.

I get my Bibles here

I usually do my homework...But this time I heard one review of the movie from a Christian review which was not concerning at all. So, last week I told my 14 year old she could go w/Grampa and they are going tomorrow. Grampa's health is poor and we are always looking for something to do w/him. He really enjoys the movies and we don't go often. This just seemed like a good one b/c she wanted to go and he was willing.

Then, today, I read 2 more concerning reviews. One review came right out and said no way! I wish I read that a week ago.

Anyway, we just had a talk and prayed about it and I am letting her go. I pray that the Lord will use it for good.

Being a mom can be challenging.
    Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
    Revelation 4:11

Quote Originally Posted by CircleSlide View Post
    After reading the article the op posted I will say.................................I read all three books....................loved them (except for the last but that is because of character development). We went to see the midnight movie as a family and LOVED it, but the movie is not for 13 or under. It is not a children's movie! There was no sex in the movie and only one minor curse word that I heard in the movie, but it is after 9pm tv violent.

The article was very opinionated and got it wrong on most levels! They were never presented as 'lovers' and that offends me that they used those terms. They were presented as boy friend and girl friend that is all; there was no sexual overtones in the book at all. There was much more in the article that I could fault, the article was just so wrong.

We also read the books as a family, it is well written and a very quick read. It is not so much a movie about the games but as the books develop it is more about a corrupt government that suppresses its people by having them "participate" in the games, the people (other than those who live in the capitol) DO NOT want the games but they are forced to or death for the family. The games are a way of keeping the districts (there are 12, used to be 13 but it was blown off the map because they rebelled) under control. The capitol district is the only group that doesn't have children who are forced to participate in the games. The capitol lives in extreme excess, they don't understand hunger or want. Katniss is a character who is forced to do things she doesn't want to do and that is what she deals with for the rest of the remaining books. As I said I loved the books it is no more violent than anything on tv after 9pm but people like to jump on band wagons.
    Thanks for your post. It made this Mama feel a bit better about her decision.
    Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
    Revelation 4:11

It was filmed here in NC and there is a lot of promotion of it all over the news. It opened in one city at 9:p.m. last Thursday and was sold out.

I don't plan to see it and passed along the plot to my family as they have pre-teens and I did not want them to accidently go without knowing what would transpire in the movie. It sounds "devilish" to me.

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV

Thanks, Circleslide, for your input.

My husband and teen children (19 down to 14) have read the books. The big thing to keep in mind is that these books depict a dystopia. Katniss is in a very difficult, very evil situation, and she must do the right thing (well, survive first!). Not only must she survive, not only must she endeavor to save the life of the guy she likes, but also she and he work to show up the evil of the rulers who set up these games.

I think it's a good thing that there's a movie and a book series showing an evil government, because there are too many other things in kids lives that tell them government is god. The current administration wants to do away with charitable deductions and is trying to limit Christian charities in other ways as well -- all as part of their effort to get people not to look to their churches, or themselves . .., and only to the government for jobs, for food, for education . . .

The Lord of the Flies was a very difficult, horrible book to read (I read it 30 years ago), but it had a very profound message: even well-brought up, elite young people can descend into savagery. In other words, we all have evil within us that needs to be restrained.

Default dumb

i have no desire to ever see this as i didn't have a desire to see Harry Potter, Twilight or any of that hoopla. I'm a film snob though and work in the film industry so i love independent/foreign films and REAL stories not this hashed out balderdash.

the world is lame in loving this garbage and it plays with the reality shows which in essence are like two people in the forum fighting each other to the death (w/words anyway). that is "entertainment" these days in this now barbaric society. sad really.

i even have a christian friend that has read all the books and has been obsessed with the movie. don't get it!!
    Last edited by HeIsEnough; March 26th, 2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Watch the language please.