Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Spanx

Default Anyone tried Spanx

Unfortunately I have to put on a dress which I rarely do.My daughter is getting married and I will be walking down the isle.I have tried some dresses on to my horror. I am not the thinnest thing around.I guess I will have to buy a spanx or something similar in order to look halfway decent.Any ideas?I have even thought of getting an elegant evening pant suit instead of a dress.One of her colors is a very dark purple.I was considering wearing a black dress and accenting it with the purple and my daughter said that was fine with her.

Just make sure you get really close to your size. It is not pretty when it does not fit right. Trust me on this!! (personal experience)

QVC sells something similar.
    Psalm 30:11-12 (New King James Version)

11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
    You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
    12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

Pre-Flood!
    Thanks for the citizen title Hoot!

I bought spanx for a wedding I attended a couple years ago. I thought it was comfortable and gave a smooth look (meaning it kept the bulges in place ). All the best shopping for just the right outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPaws View Post
    I bought spanx for a wedding I attended a couple years ago. I thought it was comfortable and gave a smooth look (meaning it kept the bulges in place ). All the best shopping for just the right outfit.
    A friend of mine who I work told me that the confinement of the garment can make you pass out if you do not wear it a little before the event.She said that it can restrict your breathing.How you found this to be the case?

I got this girdle-y thing for a family reunion cruise. It went from the tops of my legs to the underside of my chest.

It knocked the flab down a bit, but overall I figured it was not worth it.

I need to go to the bathroom pretty often due to medication and it was not pretty trying to get the thing back on, in the restroom.

I don't see how anyone could wear something like that on a daily basis.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    I got this girdle-y thing for a family reunion cruise. It went from the tops of my legs to the underside of my chest.

It knocked the flab down a bit, but overall I figured it was not worth it.

I need to go to the bathroom pretty often due to medication and it was not pretty trying to get the thing back on, in the restroom.

I don't see how anyone could wear something like that on a daily basis.
    I definately would not wear it on a daily basis but to put a dress on without it is definately

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    A friend of mine who I work told me that the confinement of the garment can make you pass out if you do not wear it a little before the event.She said that it can restrict your breathing.How you found this to be the case?
    I didn't wear the long girdle-type spanx so I don't know how comfortable/uncomfortable that one is. I wore the underwear type and I was breathing okay at the end of the evening.. My skirt was long and since it was summer I didn't wear panty hose. With just the spanx underwear to deal with, I was fine. Any of these undergarments that are used to "tuck in" can be uncomfortable. Nothing beats regular, comfy underwear, but sometimes we do feel the need to wear these contraptions, depending on the event and what we plan to wear. Here's hoping you find the perfect outfit that won't need the help of spanx or something similar. All the best.

I DO know that back when women wore those things (I think they are called corsets.) that it was not uncommon for women to pass out because of the tightness of them!
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

I have a couple of different versions, what I wear depends on the outfit. The one I wear the most goes from just below the bust down to the thighs. It doesn't make you a size smaller or anything, it just smooths out the lumps that are unsightly under certain fabrics. They have different "levels" of support, so get the one that you feel most comfortable in. Macy's and most department stores carry spanx or a similar version of shapewear.

Wear it while trying on outfits for the wedding, it makes a big difference in finding a flattering outfit. When my sister in law got married and we went to find bridesmaid dresses, you can bet we all had our spanx with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommytoa3rdgradeboy View Post
    I DO know that back when women wore those things (I think they are called corsets.) that it was not uncommon for women to pass out because of the tightness of them!
    I was told to wear it occasionally before the event.Increasing the time you wear it.First time 15minute,second time one hour etc.

I have a couple I got from Walmart and they work quite well. If they are restricting air flow then it is too small cause it should not do that. I wear mine frequently as is helps with my lower back pain. Maybe a dress with an empire waist line?

Quote Originally Posted by newbride View Post
    I have a couple I got from Walmart and they work quite well. If they are restricting air flow then it is too small cause it should not do that. I wear mine frequently as is helps with my lower back pain. Maybe a dress with an empire waist line?
    That is what I am looking for is a dress with an empire waist.I am also not wearing something with a low cut neckline.It has not been easy so far since all the dresses have a low neckline.

I love my Spanx!! Sure it might not actually make me look thinner, but it sure takes the edge of the jiggles and it does smooth me out. Do adhere to the advice and get the correct size. I once got a smaller size thinking it would hold me in better. Yeah, it didn't.

Also, if you do invest in Spanx or another product of equal quality they will last much, much longer if you carefully wash them on gentle in cold water (I use a garment bag) and NEVER put them in the dryer. Just air dry them and they will retain their soft quality for a very long time.
    ~But if we hope for what we do not have, we wait for it patiently~ Romans 8:25

I got my dress and my Spanx.I am really happy with my dress and it looks nice on me with the Spanx.I have been told a couple of times to wear it several times before the event since their is a possibility of passing out if you are not used to them.

I'm sure all of us following this thread would enjoy hearing about your dress, i.e., style, color. Glad you found something you like and that it will work well with the spanx.

-Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I'm sure all of us following this thread would enjoy hearing about your dress, i.e., style, color. Glad you found something you like and that it will work well with the spanx.
    Yes please

Did anyone feel itchy while you were wearing the Spanx?What is that about?

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    Did anyone feel itchy while you were wearing the Spanx?What is that about?
    My ankles feel itchy when I first put on my socks, if they have a lot of nylon in them. Perhaps that is the issue with the Spanx. Just a thought.

-Lynn

I would definitely make sure you get the right size & possibly one with the panty part attached. I didn't. I just got a top with a long waist. I spent the whole night going to the bathroom to pull the thing down. It rolled up like a scroll over my waist!

Off topic, but you are the only other person I have ever seen on this forum to choose the fish basket for you picture. I love it!