Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quote practice

Default Quote practice

To quote someone, you click on Reply With Quote under where their comments are. It will bring up a box for you to write in and will include all their comments (but won't repeat what they have quoted in the same way from others).

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

{QUOTE=Tiger Lily;2228747}To quote someone, you click on Reply With Quote under where their comments are. It will bring up a box for you to write in and will include all their comments (but won't repeat what they have quoted in the same way from others).{/QUOTE}

As an example, I clicked on Reply With Quote for my above comments, and the box I get will include my comments. My comments will look similar to the above in the composing box (for illustrative purposes, I replaced the plain brackets with fancy ones to keep my comments from being converted into a quote box.)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    . . . (but won't repeat what they have quoted in the same way from others).{/QUOTE}

As an example, I clicked on Reply With Quote for my above comments, and the box I get will include my comments. My comments will look similar to the above in the composing box (for illustrative purposes, I replaced the plain brackets with fancy ones to keep my comments from being converted into a quote box.)
    Now, if you want to save band width and only quote part of what somebody is saying, then you drag your mouse pointer over the area you don't want (to highlight it) and hit Delete on your keyboard. It is a good idea, as well as a courtesy, to put an ellipsis [ . . . ] in the space where you deleted something so that it is clear you are leaving something out, like I did where I deleted part of my comments above.

______

{QUOTE=Tiger Lily;2228747}To quote someone, you click on Reply With Quote under where their comments are. It will bring up a box for you to write in and will include all their comments (but won't repeat what they have quoted in the same way from others).{/QUOTE}

I know how to use Reply With Quote for the purposes of quoting the whole post (as illustrated here) but I don't know how to just lift out maybe two or three lines to reply to. This then will morph into how to do multiple quotes but I will walk before running

To quote someone, you click on Reply With Quote under where their comments are. It will bring up a box for you to write in and will include all their comments (but won't repeat what they have quoted in the same way from others).

Now, if you want to save band width and only quote part of what somebody is saying, then you drag your mouse pointer over the area you don't want (to highlight it) and hit Delete on your keyboard. It is a good idea, as well as a courtesy, to put an ellipsis [ . . . ] in the space where you deleted something so that it is clear you are leaving something out, like I did where I deleted part of my comments above.
    Finally, you can easily quote multiple people just by clicking on the " + next to where it says Reply With Quote (the + sign will change to a checkmark), until you get to the last of the quotes you want to include, then for that final quote, you click Reply With Quote. Then you will get the composition box to add your comments to the quotes from the others. If you want to bring attention to part of another's quote, you can drag your mouse pointer over that area to highlight it and click the "B" for Bold in the composition-tools box, or click the "A" tool (next to the "Font" and "Size" tools) and make the desired part a different color, as I did above.

______

Sorry, didn't register that you were still going.

Wow, would never have thought of highlighting what I don't want and deleting. Will give it a go

Does my explanation make sense? If not, I can try and clarify.

______

Testing, testing

Does my explanation make sense? If not, I can try and clarify.
    Just tried dragging my mouse over part and delete but the whole lot came out again. Not beaten yet,

Quote Originally Posted by Poppycat View Post
    Just tried dragging my mouse over part and delete but the whole lot came out again. Not beaten yet,
    Hmmmm

Well, is what you are dragging the mouse over changing color?

Or maybe, do you need to add a space between elements to keep the computer from highlighting a part you don't want highlighted? EX: sometimes it is easier to highlight/delete something that runs together by adding a space:
    1. supercalifragilistic 2. super califragil istic 3. superistic

______

Am I missing something? Should I hit any 'reply' button before dragging and deleting?

Am I missing something? Should I hit any 'reply' button before dragging and deleting?

After you adjust the other person's quote and put your own comments in the composition box, too, you just click the regular "Submit Reply" button.

By the way, there is another way to quote something, but it doesn't show who you are quoting from. To do an unidentified quote, you drag/highlight the desired portion and click the little talking cartoon bubble tool second from the end on the second row of tool options.

Like so

______

Hmmmm

Or maybe, do you need to add a space between elements to keep the computer from highlighting a part you don't want highlighted? EX: sometimes it is easier to highlight/delete something that runs together by adding a space:
    1. supercalifragilistic 2. super califragil istic 3. superistic
    By George I think I've got it!! Don't laugh but I was trying to do it to the op - not once I had activated the Reply To Quote box

Still don't understand what you did, but glad you toppled the windmill.

To the victor! Ta da!

______

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

"thus quote the Tiger Lily..."
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

thus quote quoting, the quote of the quote.

anyone for quoits?
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

thus quote quoting, the quote of the quote.

anyone for quoits?

x/y is a quotient. I think...

By George I think I've got it!! Don't laugh but I was trying to do it to the op - not once I had activated the Reply To Quote box
    Yep, bring up the "reply with quote" box first, then delete what you don't want.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

[QUOTE=Tiger Lily;2228747]To QUOTE]

test

Now, .
    test

Finally, I did above.
    testing

. Not ,
    never tried this before
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

"Nevermore"

______