Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Tea

Default High Tea

Don't know if High Tea is all the rage in the US but it has taken off over the last couple of years here. Just been to one given by the daughter of a friend, for 10 of her mother's friends. We get to pretend to be ladies taking tea with such dainties as mini cup cakes, melting moments, scones with jam and cream, Belgian eclairs, French fancies, profiteroles, mini Battenburg cakes. Ooooo sweet overload. There was more but I couldn't bring myself to write it, as I said, sweet overload. There was also mini sandwiches with exotic fillings and savoury parcels and a shrimp and vegie rossti thingy. You can tell I'm really educated food wise can't you?

I must say it was all just too too civilized. What a lovely way to pass the time even if I am paying for it today

Sounds lovely! I have a lady missionary friend who loves tea and who has had my daughter and I over for a couple of fancy teas. Such fun!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

I took my husband to a teahouse once.

It was a massive failure.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    I took my husband to a teahouse once.

It was a massive failure.
    Why?

Ah, head injury survivors. Impatient, and VERY outspoken.

He wanted, like, a meatball sub. He wasn't impressed with the offerings, and when he said he wanted our food to go they were happy to wrap it up, after giving me a VERY sympathetic look.

I should have known better, really. I didn't explain the concept before we went.

I did leave a nice tip.

If I ever go to a tea house again, I'll take my aunt.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

After having high tea at the Biltmore Inn Library (at the Biltmore Estate) several years ago, my daughter and I decided we would have high tea every Sunday afternoon. We love hot tea and all the pastries and dainty sandwiches. I drag out my china and teapots and we brew our favorite tea and we have croissants stuffed with chicken salad and we splurge and buy the fancy Pepperidge Farms cookies. We make Hubby join us and laugh at him holding out his pinkie in the proper fashion. We don't always have high tea on Sunday afternoons now, but we never miss Mother's Day. If you've never tried it I highly recommend it and even if you just use your everyday kitchen cups and have Chips Ahoy, cut some sprigs of something out in the yard to put in a vase on your table and just enjoy the time with someone you love.
    John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

i would love to partake in a Japanese tea ceremony with my husband

That just gave me a fantastic idea. I'm going to start taking DD to high tea at a little tea house in a neighboring town twice per year. It would be a fun tradition to start with her.

High tea isn't really a big thing here yet - I hope it makes a come-back. It would be fun.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)

Quote Originally Posted by fan4sure View Post
    After having high tea at the Biltmore Inn Library (at the Biltmore Estate) several years ago, my daughter and I decided we would have high tea every Sunday afternoon. We love hot tea and all the pastries and dainty sandwiches. I drag out my china and teapots and we brew our favorite tea and we have croissants stuffed with chicken salad and we splurge and buy the fancy Pepperidge Farms cookies. We make Hubby join us and laugh at him holding out his pinkie in the proper fashion. We don't always have high tea on Sunday afternoons now, but we never miss Mother's Day. If you've never tried it I highly recommend it and even if you just use your everyday kitchen cups and have Chips Ahoy, cut some sprigs of something out in the yard to put in a vase on your table and just enjoy the time with someone you love.
    I drag out my fine bone china teacups occasionally and granddaughters love to 'take' tea in them. We have lamingtons with cream and strawberries sprinkled with Flake chocolate. O so ladylike. I figure any breakages mean less to inherit so why not enjoy now. I also have some English bone china tea mugs, smaller in size than your regular mug and get a kick out of watching my husband handle one. You've probably gathered by now that I'm a sucker for china. Have waaay too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinbobbin View Post
    That just gave me a fantastic idea. I'm going to start taking DD to high tea at a little tea house in a neighboring town twice per year. It would be a fun tradition to start with her.

High tea isn't really a big thing here yet - I hope it makes a come-back. It would be fun.
    Its a lovely way to take time out and it doesn't have to be big deal, one at home with maybe something yummy you know she likes is good too

Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    Not sure what is involved in a Japanese tea ceremony but green tea is lovely.

I love a good afternoon tea! Although I usually prefer to bake from scratch, a good mix is Sticky Fingers Scone Mix, which comes in all sorts of varieties. Some Double Devon or Clotted Cream and jam with the scones (usually found in the refrigerated import dairy). Some savories such as tea sandwiches, mini quiches, etc. and a few sweets (as if the scones aren't sweet enough!) make it a perfect setup.

One of my favorite teas is Yorkshire Gold served with cream (or half and half) and sugar.

Oddly, tea truly tastes so much better served in a china cup. Being a Brit, we can't serve it any other way and definitely NOT made with tea bags.

is it true that iced tea is also an anathema to Brits?

Quote Originally Posted by jestersmom View Post
    Oddly, tea truly tastes so much better served in a china cup. Being a Brit, we can't serve it any other way and definitely NOT made with tea bags.
    Yep, in times past there was always a pot brewing. My favourite daily tipple is Ceylon small leaf tea.

is it true that iced tea is also an anathema to Brits?
    Not sure about the Brits but the Aussie's love it. We have a speciality tea shop and some yummy teas for this are strawberry n cream, creme brulee (vanilla toffee flavour), lemon ginger, toffee. Spiced apple and many more that are made in a jug like a coffee plunger only with a basket thingy to hold the tea. It seals and can be stored in the fridge for days (without the basket of course).

Probably more than you really wanted to know about iced tea and us

In the south, if you get fast food, you will see two dispensers: Sweet Tea and Unsweet Tea.

Whoo, it is SWEET!

I get my Bibles here

I have participated in Japanese tea ceremonies in Kyoto and Tokyo. It is a very serene and calming experience. That is, IF you can stand to sit Japanese style on your legs for an hour!

I love high tea. I've gone many times with girlfriends and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately, the tea shops didn't make it in my area and are gone now. This thread is tempting me to host one at my house now

Quote Originally Posted by Poppycat View Post
    Don't know if High Tea is all the rage in the US but it has taken off over the last couple of years here.
    Nope...we haven't been civilized yet.

Quote Originally Posted by prairiedog View Post
    Nope...we haven't been civilized yet.
    Lesson No. 1 in being civilized : Teabag tea. Do Not leave the bag in when drinking tea ............ erk!