Thread: Unexpected Witnessing Opportunity

Default Unexpected Witnessing Opportunity

My husband and I recently returned to Jamaica for a vacation. On the last night of our trip, we were invited to attend a dinner where some of the resort management staff were present and ate with us guests. Long story short, one of the management trainees was sitting next to my husband and I. I believe he was Jamaican as well, although he could have possibly been from one of the other islands. Let's call him "Ed" for his privacy.

As dinner progressed, the conversation went from the usual light chit-chat to more substantial conversation. Ed was very personable, and at one point started to ask my husband and I our thoughts on politics (he had found out we were Americans from Texas). The others around us were English. The discussion of politics wasn't complete without a few comments on religion, and that's when Ed made the following statement: He said, "Speaking of religion..." He was raised Seventh Day Adventist (if you aren't familiar, there are threads in Apostasy about SDA), but says he doesn't like "organized religion." He mentioned believing in God and that he prays to God every day, thanking God and asking God to help him each day. I do not know how much of his beliefs are rooted in SDA, but it appeared as though he was starting to form his own beliefs about God, faith, etc. He then proceeded to ask us (mostly my husband who was doing most of the talking at this point) what our thoughts on God and religion were.

Here we were, at a resort and one of the staff asks us about our "religion". That never happens! We didn't have a Bible convenient, which is why it is important to have scripture memorized and to be prepared to witness in any situation! Ed asked us questions about what we thought about Heaven and Hell, sin, etc. My husband told him that our only salvation is through Jesus Christ and that there is a real Heaven and Hell and that we are all sinners. Ed seemed to already have some beliefs or understanding about sin, the Holy Trinity, and salvation but also seemed to have some beliefs that were unclear or "off" as well. However, Ed's eyes lit up often during our conversation and was very passionate and open about hearing our witness. One of the things that Ed said toward the end of the conversation was that he "believed we were there for the dinner together for a reason."

The dinner was soon coming to a close and the conversation came to a natural end. We left the resort the next morning and didn't get a chance to speak with Ed again. I hope and pray that some seeds were planted in Ed's heart. I do believe that Ed is very open to hearing God's Word. I pray that Ed meets other Christians who can witness and share with him. I pray that if he is not yet a Christian (I just don't know), that he will be one day. Will you join me in prayer for Ed?

Meanwhile, some thoughts: I do want to get some good tracts to keep with me at all times and probably some small Bibles or NTs to pack when we travel. We have this young man's real name and know the resort he is training with and where they may place him at the end of the program. We're going to be praying for him and maybe someday go back and speak to him again. My husband and I would love to do a missions project in Jamaica; our church in MD has done some missions there. Also praying for opportunities in that direction, too.

This is a great story -- there is real news on the internet sometimes! Brings to mind Jeremiah 29:13... sounds like Ed is on the right track.

I agree, great story! Praying that Ed will see the real Truth!
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

OH, I was itching through the whole thread.

RIGHT BACK.

http://www.lifeway.com/Keyword/new+t...+pocket+bibles Pocket NT.

I love these. I keep buying them for "myself" and giving them away. If I could suggest ONE, it's this: http://www.lifeway.com/Product/hcsb-...ack-P001235817

Tracts. I like Grace and Truth. The tracts are a little plain, but affordable (they send them free, and I donate $10 or so per thousand). http://www.gtpress.org/ They have some very good apologetic tracts under "Christian". "Debt Paid" is my favorite tract. Did I mention FREE SAMPLES?

If you want something with more colors, and glossier, I like these guys: http://www.goodnewstracts.org/catalo...sellers/tracts "You're Special" , my favorite, is at the top.

This can all easily fit in even a small purse.

I'm on public transit, so I carry a backpack and literally a sack of Bibles, everywhere I go. Not everyone's called to that.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Thank you, Acts for your help!

Luke 17:10

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Rebekah, great story!! God was working through you guys that day, for sure! You did what you could, the rest is in Gods hands.

Acts, what a perfect verse you chose!
    Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. (John 4:14)

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)