Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need icebreaker ideas for giving tracts to neighbors

Default Need icebreaker ideas for giving tracts to neighbors

I have some Gospel tracts that I would like to give to a couple of neighbors that I don't know very well, that I suspect may not be saved.

Any ideas on what to say when they answer the door?

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Put it in a goody bag with some candy, and wish them a happy Easter.

Hardly anyone will refuse them. Especially if you put some chocolate, a couple of full sized candy bars, maybe a couple of the peanut butter eggs, etc. I would only put stuff that is wrapped, no loose jellybeans or whatever.

I've handed out a lot. They are very popular, unless you encounter a diabetic. Then you can take the tract out and offer it to them, say "I'd like you give you a little something about my faith".

I generally go with "I would LOVE to give you a Bible."

You could say "Happy Easter! I would love to give you some candy."

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I might be a little late in replying....but what if you invited them to Good Friday sevice, and if they enjoy it, you could take them on Sunday as well so they get the "whole" truth.
    Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. (John 4:14)

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Thank you Heather and Maxine! I tried the candy route and bought some bags of wrapped candy as you suggested, Heather. The tracts I used were the easy-read, comic-style from Chick.* I put candy, tracts and that green Easter basket grass in some plastic bags and trimmed them with ribbon. Gave out some tonight, have a few more to give out tomorrow.

I actually even gave some tracts alone (no candy) to strangers and to people that I deal with at the bank, library, shopping, etc, today. I also put a few out at various places. I seemed to have better luck spreading out a few different titles in my hands and letting them pick one. One of the things I tried saying which seemed to work fairly okay was something like, "You've always been so nice to me (or even you seem like a nice person--to a lady that kept talking to me as we met in the various aisles while selecting groceries). I'm passing out Gospel tracts (or just "booklets") on how to get to heaven and if you already know how to get there, maybe you could use it to help explain to someone else how to get there. Would you like one?" Or with some people I started out directly with the "I'm passing out Gospel tracts . . . " I was really surprised how many people readily accepted them and seemed pleased to get them! What was especially cool was to see a couple of the people start reading them right away. Only one woman was unpleasant. It turned out to be kind of a fun day--another thing that surprised me!

BTW, Chick sells assortment packs, like for people wanting to get an idea of what they have. They also show the whole insides of the booklets on their website if you prefer to look first and then decide what to buy. I think I might point out the web address on the back covers to some people for like if they want to see what else is available for leading loved ones to the Lord.

* http://www.chick.com/default.asp

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Wow, the candy is a good one!

I am a baby evangelist. I'm just getting started really. I got 10 invitations from my church to our Easter service. They were pretty dressed up. They have individual baggies with an invite and a tract. There's this one neighbor who has been on my mind. He is an older man who I know isn't a Christian. He is my neighbor and has kind of a tough exterior. I have social anxiety and social withdrawal issues. Nervously, I took my cat with me for support (bad idea) and approached my neighbor's house on a nice day. I walked over, smiled and held out the invite and explained the celebration we were having. He said "no thank you" and began asking about my health knowing I've had complications. The cat was getting restless in my arms. And I was following an awkward nervous conversation. I got in the house to finally put down the cat and I saw one of my favorite shirts had holes in it from the cat's claws.

I felt so crummy. I just couldn't get over the neighbor not taking the invite. He could have thrown it away after I left, but he didn't bother to even take it from me. I felt that alone was so rude! I felt silly taking the cat, but I didn't expect the neighbor to hold me for conversation. :/ It was awful and I still have 10 invites.
    After that experience especially, I don't feel cut-out for evangelism. Like I'm forcing it, I don't even have a passion for it or the mental stability for constant rejection.

"The King's daughter is all glorious within: her clothing is of wrought gold.
    She shall be brought unto the King in raiment of needlework: the virgins her companions that follow her shall be brought unto thee.
    With gladness and rejoicing shall they be brought: they shall enter into the King's palace."
    -Psalm 45:13-15

But you TRIED, Royal--good for you! I am sorry about your shirt, but somehow I can identify with the need to take your kitty--especially with a known "tough customer." You sound like a sweet and sensitive person with a big heart.

How about this. What if you put one of those tracts in an envelope and addressed it to him and put a stamp on it and set it aside with a sticky on it asking whoever finds it after the Rapture to please mail it for you. You could attach another tract just like it to the outside and tell them in the note that the envelope contains one just like it for someone you are concerned about (or even leave the envelope open so that people searching for money won't rip it open and just toss it). You could put a note in the envelope to your neighbor and tell him you care about him and hope you will see him in heaven. You might add the RR main web address,* too, and tell him there is a lot of information about the rapture and the coming tribulation, as well as salvation and many other pertinent subjects on the site. Just a thought.

* http://www.raptureready.com/

______

Awww Royal! One thing to note here is that he may have dismissed the invite, but he didn't dismiss you, and in my book, that's something to be thankful for. I have encountered so many people that have dismissed the idea of church or even Christ at first, but somewhere down the road have returned to me to ask questions, and one time I even had someone say they would finally take me up on my offer to go to church with me. We can't draw them to Christ, but we sure can plant as many seeds as possible, and you never know, one may just get planted at the right time for them.

It is so important for us to let our light shine. You never know when someone will be drawn to it. Keep praying for him and when opportunity arises to interact, do so!

2 Corinthians 4:6 "For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

meshee
    "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God." Romans 5:1-2 NKJV

The word for "sun" in HEBREW is שמש/she-MESH!

Royal, people are at different stages in their spiritual life.

I would say probably 95% of the people I encounter in my day-to-day are not ready to hear about Jesus. You offered the invitation, a while later, offer him some literature (with candy or whatever he likes)... and let God work on him.

WE don't bring anyone to Jesus - we just introduce them and Jesus saves them.

Tiger Lily, I'm glad you put your own twist. I was reading 1 Samuel 17 and it talked about how when David went to fight Goliath, Saul tried to "armor him up". They put SAULS armor on David and David couldn't even walk!

David had to go a different way - and I think that applies to evangelism as well. God equips us all differently. Can you imagine if someone was handing out Bibles on every corner?

When I'm not doing a handout, my husband has written tracts we hand out. He calls them "The crazy blind man speech". People like them, they are easy to understand.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Heather, what tracts do you use and from what company?

______

OH, I use a couple.

First, real name alert! Heather Boutte, Facebook, Ron's tracts are under my notes. I am NOT the "Hot Blonde". I am the brunette with the blind man in the wheelchair. I wonder who that is? Feel free to friend me if you aren't going to send game requests.

Second, http://www.gtpress.org/ - look under publications. I really like "The Value of Trials" for someone who is hurting. "Debt Paid" is a good basic tract about God forgiving our sin debt.

I also like http://www.goodnewstracts.org/home/tracts these guys. Look under "Bestsellers" for "You're Special".

Both also have a lot of Spanish, too. Grace & Truth is happy to send "assorted Spanish" and do samples as well. The tracts are free on request. They'd like a donation, though. It only costs them a penny or two per tract, to produce, and shipping is about $5 (they do priority mail for bigger orders), so add it up and throw in a few extra bucks. They ship quickly, too.

You can generally pick up the Good News tracts, or equivalent (American Tract Society is also good) at a Christian bookstore, they generally sell them at cost (at least my local two).

I get my Bibles here

Thanks for the info, Heather! I entered it into a list I'm compiling of tract recommendations from RR members.

I drove by a really nice house yesterday, right on a golf course. A man was outside washing a really fancy car (Corvette, I think). I can't recall ever seeing anyone outside of that house before. The fancy house and the fancy car made me think of the first page in Chick Tract's "This Was Your Life." The tract is about an unsaved rich guy that thinks he's got it made, but dies and learns otherwise. The second part of the tract is labeled, "This Can Be Your Life," and shows a man accepting the Lord and going to heaven. (BTW, this is one of their most popular tracts. They also have it in a black male, black female and white female version.)
    http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp

Today I drove by there and brought a copy of that tract with me, not entirely sure what I was going to do with it when I got there. Lo and behold, I experienced what some like to think of as a "divine coincidence"......I got there just as he was getting ready to cross the street and check his mail! So I rolled down the window and said something like, "I'm passing out Gospel tracts. This one is about a guy with a beautiful house and a fancy car like yours. Would you like it?" He said, "A Gospel tract, huh?" and kind of laughed and said, "Okay." And he took it! As I drove off, I saw him in the mirror, already reading the tract as he crossed to his mailbox. Wow!

______

Some might consider me easily entertained, but I also found this interesting:

Yesterday as I was passing out the tracts, I wanted to give one to a person involved in police-type work. Without checking the titles, I stuck my hand in my bag of assorted tracks and, interestingly, just " happened" to grab one titled, "It's The Law." [about the 10 Commandments] Somehow, I don't think that was an accident. What a way to help them "connect"!

It's The Law: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5007/5007_01.asp

______

It's not just you.

When I do a handout, I mix up the tracts and such, and I just know the right one is going to the right recipient.

When you let the Holy Spirit guide you and walk in obedience, amazing things happen.

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    It's not just you.

When I do a handout, I mix up the tracts and such, and I just know the right one is going to the right recipient.

When you let the Holy Spirit guide you and walk in obedience, amazing things happen.
    I DO so hope that was the case with another that I gave out to a postal employee at the counter. I deal with him from time to time and he seems like a nice person. Anyway, after my introductory spiel, I grabbed a tract from the group and handed it to him and saw as I was handing it to him that it was labeled, "Happy Hour*." I was afraid that it might be about alcoholism and that he would be offended. When I got home and checked my synopsis of the tract, I saw it was even worse. It was about an alcoholic father who mistreated his family. I hope that tract was helpful somehow and not offensive.

*http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0028/0028_01.asp

______

Wow -- check out this testimony from the Chick site:

Soul winner expands his ministry by teaching others how to witness with Chick tracts
    Martha is in her 80's but she was not aware of Chick tracts. I asked her if I gave her some if she'd use them. She said yes, so I gave her a package of 25. At Christmas she wanted to tell me something. She had been going to this elderly man's house each week and leaving the church magazine. She said he seemed to get irritated, so she thought of the THIS WAS YOUR LIFE tracts I'd given her. She thought they were pretty strong, but decided to try them anyway. Two weeks later she noticed the elderly gentleman's name in the obituary. She wondered if it was the same man. She went to the funeral to find out. Sure enough it was. She went up to the man's daughter and told her she was the lady from the bus ministry. Martha said the daughter grabbed her and hugged her and said, "Dad got upset about the magazine, but when you gave him THIS WAS YOUR LIFE, he read it and gave his heart to the Lord before he died." Praise God!
    http://www.chick.com/testimonies.asp

______

I think a good ice breaker would be, if you are at least an acquaintance, (and assuming you attend church) would be to ask if they have a home church. If they say they don't, you can invite them to come w/ you. You can explain that it would be a good way for you two to get to know one another and for them to learn about God. If they deny your request, then perhaps you can something like, I have this littlebooklet that I would like for you to read. It will take only a few minutes. If you have any questions, let me know, and I will see if I can help you out.”

Keep in mind that Trick or Treat is a GREAT and EASY way to hand out tracts to the kids. Most little kids like to read, so they will very likely read them, and possibly they will read them to their parents.

Also, another great place to hand out tracts is at your local county fairs, and special events.

I used to work near a bus route and I passed by the benches where people wait to ride the bus, and I would hand out tracts on my way to work to the people sitting there. It gave them something to do while they waited on their bus. Just some future suggestions.
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

Tiger Lily, if he wasn't a drinker himself (and a lot of drinkers out there), he may have grown up with an abusive, alcoholic, parent. I firmly believe there are no "mistakes" when doing evangelism, OTHER than the failure to listen to Holy Spirit prompting.

The only times I ever got yelled at for trying to hand out a Bible were times I disregarded what God was telling me. I tried to give a Bible in spite of the very loud NO in my heart, and got shouted at to the point of fleeing both times.

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Mommytoa3rdgradeboy View Post
    I think a good ice breaker would be, if you are at least an acquaintance, (and assuming you attend church) would be to ask if they have a home church. If they say they don't, you can invite them to come w/ you. You can explain that it would be a good way for you two to get to know one another and for them to learn about God. If they deny your request, then perhaps you can something like, I have this littlebooklet that I would like for you to read. It will take only a few minutes. If you have any questions, let me know, and I will see if I can help you out.”

Keep in mind that Trick or Treat is a GREAT and EASY way to hand out tracts to the kids. Most little kids like to read, so they will very likely read them, and possibly they will read them to their parents.

Also, another great place to hand out tracts is at your local county fairs, and special events.

I used to work near a bus route and I passed by the benches where people wait to ride the bus, and I would hand out tracts on my way to work to the people sitting there. It gave them something to do while they waited on their bus. Just some future suggestions.
    Yes! In fact the Chick Tracts have several different tracts oriented to Halloween.
    http://www.chick.com/seasonal/halloween/

The bus route thing makes a lot of sense. Anywhere that people have to sit and wait, would seem to increase the chances of them being read. I had been thinking the other day about leaving some at the medical clinic where I go, too, but it got too late before I was done elsewhere.

______

Tiger Lily, if he wasn't a drinker himself (and a lot of drinkers out there), he may have grown up with an abusive, alcoholic, parent. I firmly believe there are no "mistakes" when doing evangelism, OTHER than the failure to listen to Holy Spirit prompting. . . .
    Thanks, Acts, that is encouraging. I hope you're right and that it was indeed the best one to give him.

. . . The only times I ever got yelled at for trying to hand out a Bible were times I disregarded what God was telling me. I tried to give a Bible in spite of the very loud NO in my heart, and got shouted at to the point of fleeing both times.
    Yikes! I will have to keep that in mind with the tracts!

______

TigerLily- Thank you for encouraging. I did try. I really dislike gathering up the nerve to do anything just for it to fissile. I will think about the envelope idea. However, when I imagine the world after the rapture, it's unlikely there will be someone kind enough to mail it. We never know how the Spirit works though, so it's a possibility.

Acts 5:41- You are right. Only God can reach the heart. When my neighbor was speaking to me, he mentioned a few sick family members he was going to visit that weekend. There seemed to be misfortune among them. :/ I remember the neighbor and his wife use to fight so bad, she'd run outside and cry under a tree in their front yard. Among other things that would happen, I think he needs the good news. I do misunderstand how people aren't constantly worried about their souls, especially older people who are blessed to live so long and get set in their ways.

Meshee- It's just that. I don't feel I am a light in enough of a way to evangelize. I have lots of progress to make between Father and I before I attempt to draw others to Him. For those who are close to me, I try to get them to at least understand which true Christianity is about among the myths.

All- How is it that you all care enough about a person to put your neck out to tell them the truth? I struggle with caring enough to bother witnessing to others. I came to God on my own, because I was concerned enough to find the truth about my existence. I decided to find it out with the knowledge that I have my own wants that can get in the way of accepting truth. I think I person is silly not to do the same. Ultimately, if they live their lives without bothering to search that is their fault. I know sharing the Gospel is loving your neighbor as Jesus commanded. I figure that is reason enough to do it...

"The King's daughter is all glorious within: her clothing is of wrought gold.
    She shall be brought unto the King in raiment of needlework: the virgins her companions that follow her shall be brought unto thee.
    With gladness and rejoicing shall they be brought: they shall enter into the King's palace."
    -Psalm 45:13-15