Thread: The fallacy that all people are "God's Children"

Default The fallacy that all people are "God's Children"

It disturbs me when I hear Christians haphazardly say ALL people are "children of God" no matter who they are or what they believe.

Scripture clearly teaches that only those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ receive that positional title which defines our relationship to Him and sets us apart from unbelievers.

John 1:12
    But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name...

Romans 8:15-17
    For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

We stand with Israel
    Genesis 12 verse 3

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by BarbT View Post
    It disturbs me when I hear Christians haphazardly say ALL people are "children of God" no matter who they are or what they believe.

Scripture clearly teaches that only those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ receive that positional title which defines our relationship to Him and sets us apart from unbelievers.

John 1:12
    But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name...

Romans 8:15-17
    For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

This lie that we are all God's children comes right from the depths of hell. It means that whether you believe or not, since you're His child, you're going to heaven. It encourages people to go out, live selfish lives full of sex, drugs, alcohol and whatever else goes totally against The Word. "Why not 'grab all the gusto you can' now? You're going to heaven no matter what because you're God's child".

IT'S A LIE!!! These people are being fooled right into hellfire by yet another of Satan's lies. Salvation only comes through believing on Jesus Christ and what the Bible says about Him. This horrible lie takes that away, and makes salvation a birthright. Something everyone is born with, therefore there is no responsibility on our parts to respond to the Gospel. It's promises are already ours. "Live as you want, the Kingdom of God is yours no matter what."

No it isn't. We are all God's creation and when I hear anyone say "we are all His children", I correct them. This lie takes away the need and the urgency to spread the gospel. It's bad enough that unbelievers believe this lie, but when Christians spread this lie, it makes it so much harder to show the lost they are in need of salvation. If everyone who claims to be a Christian would study the Bible, there would be a lot less confusion in society about what, and Who, Christianity represents.

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!

It bothers me, too. It also bothers me a person dies, and that person in life admitted they are not Christian, that someone will say, that they are in a better place now. Or, that when someone dies, that a person will say that Heaven gained another angel. Maybe that is mean and cold-hearted, I don't know. but unless a person dies in Christ, they are NOT in a better place and we do not become angels when we die.
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

I've heard a lot of people say 'we're all children of God' too. I usually try to tell them (as lovingly as I can) that we are all God's creations, but not all are God's children.

"...but thou, O Lord, art a shield for me, my glory and the lifter of my head."
    Psalm 3:3

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    We are all God's creation .......

Creation - God's.

Children - Who's:

John 8:43-45 New King James Version (NKJV)

43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me.

1 John 3:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)

3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Because of sin, we are born children of satan. But God adopts us, by faith, and we become His with all entitlements and priveliges.

Perhaps there is something to the question: Who's your Daddy?
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

From the website:
    therealgeorgezimmerman.com put on the web by George Zimmerman, the person involved with the Trayvon Martin incident. This is a FYI concerning how Mr. Zimmerman views the world, I guess.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine"
    Jesus saith unto him, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me." John 14:6

Interesting thread because I always thought that "children of God" just meant that we are all loved by God and created by Him. I never knew that only us who are saved are children of His. I never took at as meaning we are all saved though. Hey at least its not as bad as the "don't judge" crowd.

"We're all God's children"

"God turns us into angels after we die"

"I'll go to Heaven because I've lived a good life"

The unsaved don't know any better when they display biblical ignorance.

But when Christians say these things {and many do} it needs to be addressed. Don't be afraid to bring gentle correction to those around you who are in error. To remain silent is interpreted as agreement.

We stand with Israel
    Genesis 12 verse 3

Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    This lie that we are all God's children comes right from the depths of hell. It means that whether you believe or not, since you're His child, you're going to heaven. It encourages people to go out, live selfish lives full of sex, drugs, alcohol and whatever else goes totally against The Word. "Why not 'grab all the gusto you can' now? You're going to heaven no matter what because you're God's child".

IT'S A LIE!!! These people are being fooled right into hellfire by yet another of Satan's lies. Salvation only comes through believing on Jesus Christ and what the Bible says about Him. This horrible lie takes that away, and makes salvation a birthright. Something everyone is born with, therefore there is no responsibility on our parts to respond to the Gospel. It's promises are already ours. "Live as you want, the Kingdom of God is yours no matter what."

No it isn't. We are all God's creation and when I hear anyone say "we are all His children", I correct them. This lie takes away the need and the urgency to spread the gospel. It's bad enough that unbelievers believe this lie, but when Christians spread this lie, it makes it so much harder to show the lost they are in need of salvation. If everyone who claims to be a Christian would study the Bible, there would be a lot less confusion in society about what, and Who, Christianity represents.
    It even makes some people go out and live 'good' lives in so much that they believe their goodness makes them as much children of God as any Christian, and sometimes from the people I have encountered, even more rightly deserving of heaven due to their 'good' deeds. Over the years I have noted these people are more offended at the need of Jesus as their Savior than are many who live a lifestyle of sex, drugs and alcohol.