Thread: Praying the Scripture

Default Praying the Scripture

My daughter attended a D-Now event a couple of weekends ago with a friend. Tonight she asks me if it's Biblical to "Pray the Scripture". There was a youth leader that told them she has a hard time praying, so instead of praying to God she prays the scripture. Like a Psalms. My daughter was obviously concerned as she told me this didn't feel right to her. "What's so hard about praying/talking to God?" I looked on GotQuestions.org and searched the forums here. I don't see anything addressing this question. I told her that reading Psalms is important but your prayer life is a personal relationship with God. A little guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have charity, I am nothing. 1 Co 13:2

I don't think praying scripture instead of presenting our petitions to God is the way to go. But sometimes scripture, which is Spirit breathed after all, puts things so much better than we can ourselves. For example Psalm 19:12,13 is one I pray often because it expresses what I'm feeling inside. It says "Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from wilful sins, may they not rule over me. ". Often then I follow it with verse 14. "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."

To me, having hidden His Word in my heart it just makes sense that sometimes it is what pours out. But, I am praying, not just reading scripture to God in place of words of my own.

Hope this helps.

That does help. That's what we decided on too. That sometimes there just aren't words for what we're trying to express and scripture does it better. But I told her since she does know how to pray she should never replace reading God's word to Him with her own prayers. Whew, the questions this girl comes up with are mind-boggling sometimes. Thanks!
    If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have charity, I am nothing. 1 Co 13:2