Thread: Organic foods?

Default Organic foods?

I am getting into organic foods and wonder if anyone else is buying them. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

I love to buy organic food.I think that they are alot safer.The con of it is that they are much more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    I love to buy organic food.I think that they are alot safer.The con of it is that they are much more expensive.
    Yep, they are more expensive but worth it in the long run. One thing I have used before is vinegar in the laundry rinse, but it doesn't take static cling away. Wish I could find something that does.

We use a lot of organic produce that we buy at Whole Foods. Some of it is no more expensive than what we see of the same thing at Wal-Mart (carrots, for ex.) This summer, I'm doing a garden again. In the past I grew kale, kohlrabi, brussel sprouts, rainbow colored Swiss chard, tomatoes, and lots of fresh herbs without the aid of any pesticides or herbicides. If you don't have a lot of space, container gardening will work well, too, and there's a lot of info about it on the internet.

-Lynn

I grow some leafy greens.

Berries and lettuce are two things you should really get, organic. They have very high pesticide levels, otherwise.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    I grow some leafy greens.

Berries and lettuce are two things you should really get, organic. They have very high pesticide levels, otherwise.
    Fruits, veggies and meats all should be organic. Lady at health store told me I could wash regular apples with soap and water and that would take all pesticides and junk off. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2ten View Post
    Fruits, veggies and meats all should be organic. Lady at health store told me I could wash regular apples with soap and water and that would take all pesticides and junk off. Is that true?
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/pesticides.html

An interesting article about fruits,vegetables and pesticides.

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/pesticides.html

An interesting article about fruits,vegetables and pesticides.
    That's a good article! Thanks!!

That is a good article, I read through it all and I didn't know
    that just water washing would not take pesticides off.
    Hey, what about those 'forever green bags' that are out now that
    keep fruit and veggies fresh longer? If you wash your fruit
    and then it doesn't keep as long, try storing them in those
    green bags. I use them, and re-use them, and they do
    work. Especially for bananas, they tend to get overripe so fast.
    Fruit and veggies release gases as part of the ripening process,
    and this makes them deteriorate kinda fast. The green bags
    are safe, no chemicals. I have found that leaving the bag partially
    open at the top will keep moisture from building up inside the bags.
    Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

I can't afford to buy all organic.

The only way I can afford to get anything organic is by growing it myself.

I always try to grow greens, beans, stuff like that. A few onions. This year I did potatoes.

The rest of it, I pray over it, and trust God to protect me from the really bad stuff.

Besides He knows I'd rather buy tracts!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

I would love to start eating all organic food but they are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon9602 View Post
    I would love to start eating all organic food but they are expensive.
    They are more expensive but I'm finding it's worth it in the long run, health wise. Found out today that Meijers has organics and they're cheaper than other stores.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Chicken, eggs, turkey... most we can get from Giant.

Fish, we try to get North Atlantic - US, Canadian..... no chinese stuff. We were getting Alaskan untill the Fushima waste hit.

Often organic has better flavor. We don't need the colorings.

Yes, Wife saw Food Inc.

Me... why wash? the stuff has already soaked in. (Ok you can remove some stuff by washing)
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

That's the nice thing about a home garden... you just rinse it off. It's fresh. No bacterial contamination. Full of vitamins.

However, since it will be unusually hot and dry this summer, I plan to grow a lot of blackeyed peas, maybe some okra, and maybe an eggplant. Eggplant love our summers.

I always grow collard greens. I can pluck off a leaf or two and there's my side dish. They are really good simmered for a little while, or stir-fried.

I get my Bibles here

I can't afford to go completely organic. Some fruit and veg you can buy and peel or wash well to remove some of the chemicals.

I try to get organic and hormone free meat. My hubby & I now much older and we don't eat much meat so I do manage to afford the meat. Cook more with legumes for protien now days.

Found some organic produce markets in our local area so I am going to give that a go and see if I can buy it cheaper. Might have to buy in bulk but maybe I can share with someone I know.

I do organic where at all possible. There are some foods where it really doesn't matter, like citrus and bananas with the thick peels. There's even a list you probably could find by googling that gives the "dirty dozen" and "clean fifteen" which tells which produce items it would really matter on and those where it's not so crucial.

The other thing for me is that I won't buy produce from Latin/South America. I saw a documentary or something one time that talked about how those countries often use pesticides that have been banned here due to being carcinogenic or otherwise unsafe. That could just be me being paranoid though.

I don't eat animal products so I can't provide much info on meat except to say that I would avoid that which comes from China (which is the majority of the seafood products, particularly if frozen).

Again, this is all just my opinion based on my own research. While I have researched all this extensively, I'm not a dietician or expert or anything.

Default Define the term....

Organic sounds like a really great idea, however.....

I live next to the family farm and have helped FIL with tractor and combine operation. I have also spent a lot of time asking him about chemicals used in farming. Some of them are really not that bad, innoculants to prevent seed rot, fertilizer coatings to promote germination, etc. The working definition of organic food is being able to track the food from its source farm and determine it has not had any contact with industrially produced chemicals. Great definition, really hard to police. There are organically created pesticides and herbicides that are harsher than the ones created in chemical plants and you can use them and still call your crop organic.
    The best method by which to decide on whether to buy organic is to look at residual pesticide levels and where the residue accumulates. For instance, one of the fruits that accumulates pesticides is apples, but it tends to mostly stay in the skin. Therefore peeling an apple will dramatically drop pesticide intake.
    The dirty dozen of foods that hold the most residual agricultural chemicals is: apples, celery, strawberries, peaches, spinach, nectarines, grapes, sweet bell peppers, potatoes, blueberries, lettuce and kale/collard
    The lowest residuals can be found in: onions, sweet corn, pineapple, avocado, asparagus, peas, mangoes, eggplant, cantaloupe, kiwis, cabbage, watermelon and sweet potatoes.
    Link- http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

Judging by this list, I am living in the wrong climate zone because the season is so short (60 days) and cool that the stuff I can grow the best is found in the dirty dozen list.

Oh well..... at least I can hope for the trees planted by the river of life (Rev 22:1-2) not requiring spraying.

Over and Out
    Sola Scriptura - Scripture Alone
    Solus Christus - Christ Alone
    Sola Gratia - Grace Alone
    Sola Fide - Faith Alone
    Soli Deo Gloria - The Glory of God Alone