Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Question on possible new obama law....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Question on possible new obama law....

    My cousin just sent me an email stating that Obama passed a law back on March 10, 2012. According to her, this new law makes it illegal to protest obama wherever he is at. If you ask a question he does not like, you can be arrested and jailed for up to a year.

    I tried to find a link for this but could only find questionable sources. Anyone know if this is true?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kristine View Post
    My cousin just sent me an email stating that Obama passed a law back on March 10, 2012. According to her, this new law makes it illegal to protest obama wherever he is at. If you ask a question he does not like, you can be arrested and jailed for up to a year.

    I tried to find a link for this but could only find questionable sources. Anyone know if this is true?
    I'm sure he would like it to be true. Stuff like this I would not believe, and tell the person claiming it to prove it with some sort of evidence. When people don't like someone, they find it easy to believe anything bad about them. Thats probably the time to be even more diligent to research whatever you hear.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    489

    Default

    I think you are referring to HR 347...

    There are several articles on it... below is a critical take from Slate...

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...e_speech_.html

    ....The law purports to update an old law, Section 1752 of Title 18 of the United States Code, that restricted areas around the president, vice president, or any others under the protection of the Secret Service. The original law was enacted in 1971 and amended in 2006. At first blush, the big change here is that while the old law made it a federal offense to "willfully and knowingly" enter a restricted space, now prosecutors need only show that you did it "knowingly"—that you knew the area was restricted, even if you didn’t know it was illegal to enter the space. This has been characterized in some quarters as a small technical change that hardly warrants an arched eyebrow, much less a protest.

    But it’s important to understand what has changed since the original law was enacted in 1971, because it shows how much a tiny tweak to the intent requirement in a statute can impact the free speech of everyone......
    Here is a link to the Bill itself:

    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr347enr.pdf

    I am not losing a lot of sleep over this one..

    -Ted

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IbelieveinJesus View Post
    I think you are referring to HR 347...

    There are several articles on it... below is a critical take from Slate...

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...e_speech_.html



    Here is a link to the Bill itself:

    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr347enr.pdf

    I am not losing a lot of sleep over this one..

    -Ted
    Thanks for the info, IbelieveinJesus!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SO.Calif.Desert
    Posts
    2,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kristine View Post
    My cousin just sent me an email stating that Obama passed a law back on March 10, 2012. According to her, this new law makes it illegal to protest obama wherever he is at. If you ask a question he does not like, you can be arrested and jailed for up to a year.

    I tried to find a link for this but could only find questionable sources. Anyone know if this is true?
    Here is a FOX NEWS video(3.33) with Judge Napolitano explaining the legality of this new law.


    REMEMBER, A LITTLE AT A TIME…THIS IS BIG
    This is a new law signed by Obama in early March 2012 which makes it illegal to protest in his presence. Regardless of where you stand politically, this is very scary.

    The law means that wherever Obama is you do not have a right to ask him anything you want to. His secret service can have you arrested, fined, and imprisoned for more than a YEAR if you ask him something he doesn't like or doesn't want to answer.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...irzg&vq=medium
    Isaiah 41:10

    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,288

    Default

    This is NOT good..... for our nation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northern ohio
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    And if this were Bush who signed this law all heck would have broken out.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2ten View Post
    And if this were Bush who signed this law all heck would have broken out.
    Eaxctly, and it would be all over national tv!
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)


    BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByFaithIFly View Post
    REMEMBER, A LITTLE AT A TIME…THIS IS BIG
    Still don't see this as big, and we've seen it in action. Anytime some heckler makes trouble, holds up their silly little signs, shout their silly little slogans, they'll be rounded up, kicked out, and charged with something. I fail to see a difference in how this will be carried out, its already illegal to do these things. Its a technical difference in the law, but people trying to disrupt a Presidential speech are already guilty, they know what they are doing. Like I said, theres hardly nothing Obama can do that won't be spinned to him being evil incarnate. Other Presidents will get in there and no one will mind. We'll protest this perpetual candidate at the voting booth, where it counts.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    33,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    We'll protest this perpetual candidate at the voting booth, where it counts.
    ummm-humm

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    Still don't see this as big, and we've seen it in action. Anytime some heckler makes trouble, holds up their silly little signs, shout their silly little slogans, they'll be rounded up, kicked out, and charged with something. I fail to see a difference in how this will be carried out, its already illegal to do these things. Its a technical difference in the law, but people trying to disrupt a Presidential speech are already guilty, they know what they are doing. Like I said, theres hardly nothing Obama can do that won't be spinned to him being evil incarnate. Other Presidents will get in there and no one will mind. We'll protest this perpetual candidate at the voting booth, where it counts.
    The big deal is the change makes it a felony to protest, hold up a sign they don't like or even be in the vicinity where a secret service agent is "protecting" someone...and it can be "anyone" that the President assigned an agent to protect. The agent doesn't not have to wear his badge or a big sign that states he is present for the law to be in effect. So for example if BO assigned a secret service agent to protect a member of the Tea Party at a gathering it will not be announced. If people show up holding signs that are disagreeable to the agent he can then arrest them on a felony charge. It seems that BO has very thin skin and doesn't believe we should have the right to assemble or protest. The best way to stay clear of the law is to stay home and keep your mouth shut and don't write or say anything that he might find offensive. Which is the intent of the changes to the old law. He wants us to be afraid to speak out for fear of going to jail. He is a dictator in disguise. I saw Fox News and Judge Napolotano explain this the day after it passed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    489

    Default

    I posted the link above, but below is the actual text describing the transgression punishable. I don't think some of the descriptions of possible infractions given in earlier posts, would apply.

    § 1752. Restricted building or grounds
    ‘‘(a) Whoever—
    ‘‘(1) knowingly enters or remains in any restricted building
    or grounds without lawful authority to do so;
    ‘‘(2) knowingly, and with intent to impede or disrupt the
    orderly conduct of Government business or official functions,
    engages in disorderly or disruptive conduct in, or within such
    proximity to, any restricted building or grounds when, or so
    that, such conduct, in fact, impedes or disrupts the orderly
    conduct of Government business or official functions;
    ‘‘(3) knowingly, and with the intent to impede or disrupt
    the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions,
    obstructs or impedes ingress or egress to or from any restricted
    building or grounds; or
    ‘‘(4) knowingly engages in any act of physical violence
    against any person or property in any restricted building or
    grounds;
    or attempts or conspires to do so, shall be punished as provided
    in subsection (b).
    -Ted

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by praisingHisname View Post
    The big deal is the change makes it a felony to protest, hold up a sign they don't like or even be in the vicinity where a secret service agent is "protecting" someone...and it can be "anyone" that the President assigned an agent to protect. The agent doesn't not have to wear his badge or a big sign that states he is present for the law to be in effect. So for example if BO assigned a secret service agent to protect a member of the Tea Party at a gathering it will not be announced. If people show up holding signs that are disagreeable to the agent he can then arrest them on a felony charge. It seems that BO has very thin skin and doesn't believe we should have the right to assemble or protest. The best way to stay clear of the law is to stay home and keep your mouth shut and don't write or say anything that he might find offensive. Which is the intent of the changes to the old law. He wants us to be afraid to speak out for fear of going to jail. He is a dictator in disguise. I saw Fox News and Judge Napolotano explain this the day after it passed.
    With all respect to the Judge, it doesn't matter. The things enshrined in the first amendment about protest can't be touched. (as always, they can try, they'll be beat back by the courts) If one causes any sort of mischief, deserved or not, in fairly close proximity to the President of the United States, expect a swift and harsh response. You are extending the thought to "protesting" anywhere, at anytime. I see all kinds of people, say all kinds of unflattering, salacious, truthful, viscous, and any other way to describe what people say about Mr. Obama, every single day. Whatever way you are interpreting this, clearly its not the case.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Piedmont area of SC
    Posts
    415

    Default

    I can't believe some of y'all!!! Just because "it" may be against the constitution/illegal/unethical or whatever, you think this "Chicago" product won't try it???

    And this still after "Obamacare" and the Catholic contraceptive fiasco????????

    Get your head out of the sand folks, cause if the Zero gets a second go at the POTUS, he sure does not have to worry about who he stabs in the back since he won't be eligible for re-election again; and he will make sure that there will be no 2016 election; assuming that we actually have a '12 election.!!

    JMHO, but based on observed actions the past 3 1/2 years!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freedomnut View Post
    Get your head out of the sand folks
    I don't think anyones head is in the sand around here, pal. We've got hundreds of articles and thousands of posts all about him. Lets see, its been law for over a month, no difference. If by chance we make it to October, and still no dictator Obama sending out the brownshirts to round up all them bad people who talk bad about him, I'll bump this thread. If theres still no change, I win. We should be much more concerned about what he actually says he wants to do, rather than our thoughts and imaginations of what we think he will do, especially ones this fundamentally radical. And really, we have two other branches of gubment, they will balance him out with stuff that is clearly unconstitutional.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    I don't think anyones head is in the sand around here, pal. We've got hundreds of articles and thousands of posts all about him. Lets see, its been law for over a month, no difference. If by chance we make it to October, and still no dictator Obama sending out the brownshirts to round up all them bad people who talk bad about him, I'll bump this thread. If theres still no change, I win. We should be much more concerned about what he actually says he wants to do, rather than our thoughts and imaginations of what we think he will do, especially ones this fundamentally radical. And really, we have two other branches of gubment, they will balance him out with stuff that is clearly unconstitutional.
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but I don't believe there's much of a system of checks and balances anymore, especially with the executive order and all of Obama's czars that didn't have to be approved by Congress to get into office like the president's cabinet does. I have sort of seen him as an unofficial dictator for the past couple of years. I won't go so far as to say that there probably won't be elections this year. I think this country still has a way to go before things get that incredibly bad, but then again, I suppose anything's possible with a manic like O at the helm.
    "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" -- Isaiah 49:15 (NIV)

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess View Post
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but I don't believe there's much of a system of checks and balances anymore
    There is a huge difference between what Obama would like to do, and what he will actually get away with.

    Since the Reps took just the House, Obama has been almost stopped in his tracks regarding major laws. If the Court overturns ObamaCare and other various laws, it will be a huge blow to him. Those are real 'checks and balances', so I really have no idea how anyone can say there is not much of a system for it anymore. If what people have said in this thread alone is true, that there are no C&B's anymore, then turn off the lights, we are done here, we'll close the politics forum.

    He is really good at using democratic 'scaring points' to manipulate the Republicans into a corner. They seem to be getting a little better at fighting back, and the MSM is not as much in his corner. We'll see how it plays out. One thing I do know, the more hyper the rhetoric becomes around here, the more people will view this place as just a bunch of crazy and scared right wingers.

    If people want to do more, then get out there on their turf, use devastating arguments that minimize hyperbole and point to verifiable laws and policies Obama has done. Sitting around here and shouting 'Obama is the evil dictator of all dictators' will get people nowhere. More importantly, I fear some are allowing hate in through the back door, listening to their words. There is no hate in God, no matter what the purpose, it destroys the soul and will eat men up like a cancer and steal whatever joy and peace there may have been. Whatever people think of me I don't care, but don't let this world spoil the great inheritance that awaits us, this world is not worth it.

    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess View Post
    especially with the executive order and all of Obama's czars that didn't have to be approved by Congress to get into office like the president's cabinet does. I have sort of seen him as an unofficial dictator for the past couple of years. I won't go so far as to say that there probably won't be elections this year. I think this country still has a way to go before things get that incredibly bad, but then again, I suppose anything's possible with a manic like O at the helm.
    All modern Presidents sign EO's and use the regulatory system to do the things they want to do. I'm not trying to diminish his agenda of stupidity, its just that he is using everything that was already in place to do these things, he did not create these things to accomplish them. The Czars being an exception, and really, they just serve the same purposes, but the process was put on steroids. As of right now, this really is the same old politics of positioning, utilizing ignorance, scaring voters and making Republicans look like 'mean spirited' rich guys. The key is to be level headed, and fight him the old fashioned way, on his record. Its Romney's job now, we'll see how he does.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SO.Calif.Desert
    Posts
    2,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freedomnut View Post
    I can't believe some of y'all!!! Just because "it" may be against the constitution/illegal/unethical or whatever, you think this "Chicago" product won't try it???

    And this still after "Obamacare" and the Catholic contraceptive fiasco????????

    Get your head out of the sand folks, cause if the Zero gets a second go at the POTUS, he sure does not have to worry about who he stabs in the back since he won't be eligible for re-election again; and he will make sure that there will be no 2016 election; assuming that we actually have a '12 election.!!

    JMHO, but based on observed actions the past 3 1/2 years!
    This "Chicago" product will try and do whatever he can to obtain what he wants.IMHO,if he see's the election slipping away from him,it would not surprise me if he started a situation that require him to declare Martial Law and cancel the elections. Remember "Wag The Dog"?With the Exective orders he has at his command,he a very dangerious man.

    Very intellegent people like Charles Krauthamer have said;Don't pay attention to what he say's,WATCH what he does and dispert people do dispert things.
    Isaiah 41:10

    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByFaithIFly View Post
    This "Chicago" product will try and do whatever he can to obtain what he wants.IMHO,if he see's the election slipping away from him,it would not surprise me if he started a situation that require him to declare Martial Law and cancel the elections. Remember "Wag The Dog"?With the Exective orders he has at his command,he a very dangerious man.

    Very intellegent people like Charles Krauthamer have said;Don't pay attention to what he say's,WATCH what he does and dispert people do dispert things.
    Open question to anyone who knows regarding ByFaithIFly's post: Could the Supreme Court step in and nullify any Obama order to cancel elections? What about Congress?

    For that matter, can the Supremes nullify ANY executive order of Obama's?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere other than there
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Response to Pepsi Dad...

    No, after all the Supreme Court Justices are unelected....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •