Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drunkards will not enter the kingdom of heaven?

^^ Balanced article without an apparent agenda.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Quote Originally Posted by acrotinger View Post
    The Bible says we are to not do anything that would cause our brother to sin. Let's face it, when someone says the word drinking, what images come to mind? Bars, wild parties, promiscuous behavior, drunk driving accidents, etc. The list goes on and on. If we are honest with ourselves, nothing good comes from drinking. Out of all the testimonials I have heard, 100% have been people turning away from alcohol and not to it. Bottom line, drinking alcohol is wrong for a Christian. When we ask Jesus into our hearts and repent of our sins the Holy Spirit lives on the inside of us. It is His dwelling place. Why would you want to put something so vile into it?
    That's just your own personal opinion. There is a HUGE difference between what the bible says and our own personal opinion regarding anything. Drinking itself is not a sin. However, if you're drinking with the intent of getting slam drunk, then that is a sin.

I personally only drink every blue moon. Not everyday due to meds and I like to remain in control. I had 7 glasses of champagne last week to celebrate my birthday without even thinking about it at this brunch I was at. I was not drunk or even buzzed and I didn't drink it with the intention of getting drunk. Plus, I drink water and eat whenever I drink.

The OP question, "Drunkards will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven?"

I have alcoholics in my family, they are both saved. Currently they are both sober and I hope it stays that way. At any rate, I have no doubt that if they died they would go to heaven. They have accepted Christ's free gift of Salvation. They are not perfect, but they are forgiven.

The Bible also says:

Revelation 21:8
    But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and fornicators, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
    If we even become angry we are guilty of murder.....

A little white lie is still a lie.......

We are all fearful sometimes........

I guess we are all on our way to hell.

But wait: Romans 4
    5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
    Jesus died and was raised from the dead to save us and redeem us! Praise God!

There but for the Grace of God go I.

We should never sin on purpose, but when we do sin we are covered by the Blood of Christ.

And no, I do not think drinking is a sin. I think getting drunk is a sin, very different things.

I rarely drink, but if I did, I would not do so around a brother or sister if it would offend them.
    I stand with Israel, now and forever.
    Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

But alcohol is also used as an antispetic and was used by then for surgical purposes.

I think alcohol is in or was in Nyquil (which explains a lot of stuff...lol), plus Nyquil tastes like vodka

Bear is a natural laxative and can be use as a conditioner for your hair.

Wine, especially the red wines is a natural hair coloring.

Also for food flavoring,

Beer can be used for catching bugs.

So there are good and bad purposes for alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by makeupgirl View Post
    But alcohol is also used as an antispetic and was used by then for surgical purposes.

I think alcohol is in or was in Nyquil (which explains a lot of stuff...lol), plus Nyquil tastes like vodka

Also for food flavoring,

Hmmmmm, beer can be used to catch bugs?

But will it kill them, or would I hear an army of tiny moth voices singing, "How dry I am"?

Quote Originally Posted by makeupgirl View Post

Also for food flavoring,

Yea,beer is used to catch slugs.

Go Biblical on this, that is what we believe. Nowhere in scripture is imbibing in alcohol forbidden for believers; in fact, we can see from the wedding feast, and the contrasting between John the Baptist and Jesus, that Jesus did indeed drink alcohol. Drinking alcohol is not a sin.

"Drunkards" not entering into the kingdom; anyone outside of Christ that engages in long-term drunkenness will not get into Heaven, for their label follows them because they are held up to the law. The amazing thing about being placed into Christ by faith, is that all other labels disappear; murderer, glutton, drunkard, Jew, Gentile, Male, Female, etc... and we are all equal, and maintained in that equality by the removal of the law against us.

Having said all that; our main concern as believers is that we don't cause another to stumble in our freedom. If I'm around an alcoholic, I'm neither going to drink, nor offer them one.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Isnt "drunkeness" about false religion?

Not actually anything to do with drinking...
    I accept nothing from man as truth...
    only that, One is the truth. (John 14-6)

Pre-Flood/Pre-Trib (Genesis 5-24)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
    Isnt "drunkeness" about false religion?

Not actually anything to do with drinking...
    I would say it depends on context, and specific scripture; did you have one in mind?

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Getting drunk is foolishness. The reprucussions are many and often short lived. Drunk drivers however often face lifetime wounds.

But when times get tough, self conviction starts its work, and you run to the god of wine.... it is idolitry.

Refusing to deal with reality - living the lie - trusting a bottle to solve your problems....

Its all faithlessness, and without faith, none enter God's Kingdom.

Stupidity, God forgives. The young convert struggling to be mature, is healed at the Cross.

But those who choose the wine over the Vine..... have no place.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Quote Originally Posted by Kliska View Post
    Go Biblical on this, that is what we believe. Nowhere in scripture is imbibing in alcohol forbidden for believers; in fact, we can see from the wedding feast, and the contrasting between John the Baptist and Jesus, that Jesus did indeed drink alcohol. Drinking alcohol is not a sin.

"Drunkards" not entering into the kingdom; anyone outside of Christ that engages in long-term drunkenness will not get into Heaven, for their label follows them because they are held up to the law. The amazing thing about being placed into Christ by faith, is that all other labels disappear; murderer, glutton, drunkard, Jew, Gentile, Male, Female, etc... and we are all equal, and maintained in that equality by the removal of the law against us.

Having said all that; our main concern as believers is that we don't cause another to stumble in our freedom. If I'm around an alcoholic, I'm neither going to drink, nor offer them one.
    Amen, extremely well said

A glass of wine is ok but you need to know when to stop.If one glass leads to another and another then you should take a look at the under lieing problem.Some people drink to self medicate themselves because their is a serious problem within which they are afraid to take a look at.Some people drink because they are at a party and that is the only way that they will feel social.I think these reasons could become a problem and to take a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Getting drunk is foolishness. The reprucussions are many and often short lived. Drunk drivers however often face lifetime wounds.

But when times get tough, self conviction starts its work, and you run to the god of wine.... it is idolitry.

Refusing to deal with reality - living the lie - trusting a bottle to solve your problems....

Stupidity, God forgives. The young convert struggling to be mature, is healed at the Cross.

But those who choose the wine over the Vine..... have no place.
    Your post is confusing and ambiguous to me. Are you speaking about people who are alcoholics given to alcohol addiction or anyone who has a drink or somewhere in between?

You raise the issue of salvation, one that clearly condemns a lot of people in your spray and presents a serious charge against any number of people not clearly defined by your post. Are these believers or unbelievers? Struggling alcoholics? Moderate or occasional drinkers? I think it merits clarification on your part.

Does the same standard apply to those given to dependence on food, medicine or money? For example, the person who scrambles to stuff a block of chocolate or highly saturated fat and sodium laden burger each day – even against the advice of a doctor due to a lifelong dependence on food and poor dieting, the person has developed life-threatening disease? Or the person who adamantly trusts in money over and above the Lord, to such a point of selfish ambition that it causes other brethren to stumble in their faith?

Faithlessness is faithlessness, regardless isn’t it? Or do we establish a different set of standards and criteria for these people given to such dependences?

I repost your post paraphrased below, with money replacing alcohol as the object of stumbling:

But when times get tough, self conviction starts its work, and you run to the god of money.... it is idolitry.

Refusing to deal with reality - living the lie - trusting a buck to solve your problems....

But those who choose the dime over the Vine..... have no place.

No one's getting cast out of heaven because they had a glass of wine with dinner.

I think, of anyone on the board, I have the biggest axe to grind against alcohol: It damaged me for life. I have been the victim of domestic violence because he was drunk. I lost my mother to it. My husband is enslaved to it.

Now, having said all that, I'll repeat myself: no one's going to hell because they had a glass of wine with dinner.

Me, I avoid it. I'd be thrilled if my husband never bought another wine box. But am I going to tell my Dad (a very moderate drinker) he can't have one? No.

Am I going to tell you not to drink? No.

It's really not our place to judge another believer like that.

However, that said, if I know alcohol is a problem for you, I'm going to make my husband put up his wine box and I will not offer you any when you come over, either. I'll remove temptation so I don't make you stumble. I WISH people would do that, with me, in regards to sugar, instead of telling me a bite won't hurt.

We have to be careful that we don't get caught up in legalism. THAT, my friends, will damage our witness.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Lets get this clear.Alcoholics are still saved by Jesus Christ if they have given their lives to him.NO WAY is a Christian alcoholic going to hell.Yes,a Christian can stumble and fall just like anyone else.

Yup.

I am dead serious when I say my sugar addiction is just as sinful as another's crack addiction. We are both disrespecting our bodies.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    Yup.

I am dead serious when I say my sugar addiction is just as sinful as another's crack addiction. We are both disrespecting our bodies.
    Yes,Their are alot of addictions in this evil world.

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    Your post is confusing and ambiguous to me.
    Wally's post was speaking of the unsaved.

Born again believers go to Heaven.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.