Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: VP Selection Thread

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    480

    Default VP Selection Thread

    The selection for VP is going to be crucial for this years election so I thought it would be interesting to get an ongoing thread about the possible candidates and their strengths/weaknesses. There are also of possibilities I dont know anything about such as Rob Portman, Suzanna Martinez, etc.

    Can we get a discussion going on the candidates and anyone with insight educate those of us who dont know anything other than those main candidates?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,437

    Default

    Marco Rubio. Florida conservative...He is my pick.
    He's also handsome as can be but that is not important. Or is it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    My guess is Condeleza Rice or Marco Rubio, probably Condeleza Rice. Her name on the ticket gives immediate credibility to the Romney administration's foreign policy capabilities and will make it FAR more difficult for the Obama administration to pit African American voters against Romney strictly for racial reasons. Likewise, a Rubio VP ticket will make it far more difficult for Obama to pit the hispanic vote against Romney. The only thing either will not eliminate is the class-warfare going on.

    The one thing I know for sure - if a white male is put on the ticket as VP, no matter how strong his credentials, it will hand Obama a win in November.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robinbobbin View Post
    My guess is Condeleza Rice or Marco Rubio, probably Condeleza Rice. Her name on the ticket gives immediate credibility to the Romney administration's foreign policy capabilities and will make it FAR more difficult for the Obama administration to pit African American voters against Romney strictly for racial reasons. Likewise, a Rubio VP ticket will make it far more difficult for Obama to pit the hispanic vote against Romney. The only thing either will not eliminate is the class-warfare going on.

    The one thing I know for sure - if a white male is put on the ticket as VP, no matter how strong his credentials, it will hand Obama a win in November.
    I don't think she will help with the "race issue" of voters because she will and is labeled an uncle tom and already been horribly bashed by the media. I would like to see her in as VP but don't think it will help Romney's cause. It might actually hurt as I believe Sarah Palin hurt McCain, not that she was bad, but that the media took what they could and ran with it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    480

    Default

    I think Condi would be an amazing pick and would lend a lot more credibility to a Romney admin foreign policy wise. Although I wonder if this woudl harken people back to the Bush years which so many people were desperately trying to escape when voting for Obama. One would think she would give a little boost on the minority/women side of the vote.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,572

    Default

    Rubio's parents weren't citizens when he was born. Therefore he wouldn't fit the original intended meaning of the Constitutional requirement of "natural born citizen".


    Take one and pass it on!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    489

    Default

    My dream pick would be Rubio... but I am open to other suggestions.

    I see Portman being bandied about, he seems like a strong Conservative... not much wow factor there for me though...

    -Ted

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Watcher View Post
    Rubio's parents weren't citizens when he was born. Therefore he wouldn't fit the original intended meaning of the Constitutional requirement of "natural born citizen".
    Marco Rubio was born in Miami, FL making him a U.S. citizen by birth. If Obama qualifies as a natural born citizen, then certainly Sen. Rubio does because at least he has absolute, undisputed documented proof he was born here. Back to topic, I'd love to see Sen. Rubio or Congressman Allen West in the VP position. Gov. Christie, while it might be amusing to see him tell Obama and Biden what he (and many of us) really thinks of them, is too liberal for me. I believe Sen. Rubio or Congressman West could hold their own going up against Obama and, in particular, Gaffe-a-minute Joe.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jreed3 View Post
    I think Condi would be an amazing pick and would lend a lot more credibility to a Romney admin foreign policy wise. Although I wonder if this woudl harken people back to the Bush years which so many people were desperately trying to escape when voting for Obama. One would think she would give a little boost on the minority/women side of the vote.
    I disagree with Rice being a good pick. In my opinion she wrong in her dealings with Israel. Plus, as someone else correctly pointed out, her race means nothing because of past media treatment.

    I second Marco Rubio, he is a strong conservative, and he will help carry Florida. I wouldn't mind seeing Allen West. He would be a major asset as VP with years of military experience behind him. Plus, he would also help carry Florida, but I don't see him being picked.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Joplin Mo
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Condi Rice is to liberal for an already liberal candidate Romney so if he wants the conservatives to vote for him he needs to go with a fairly conservative vice president. Rubio may not qualify due to his not being born here to US citizens they became citizens after he was born although he would be my first pick if he qualified. I don't know Portman he may be ok. Christie is to liberal he is another Romney we don't need 2 of them in office. I like Bobby Jindal the gov of La he is a real conservative and liked by many. I really am interested to see who he picks and if he is smart and tries to unify the republicans behind him by making sure the VP is someone the conservatives can get behind. I sure hope he is.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raml View Post
    Condi Rice is to liberal for an already liberal candidate Romney so if he wants the conservatives to vote for him he needs to go with a fairly conservative vice president. Rubio may not qualify due to his not being born here to US citizens they became citizens after he was born although he would be my first pick if he qualified. I don't know Portman he may be ok. Christie is to liberal he is another Romney we don't need 2 of them in office. I like Bobby Jindal the gov of La he is a real conservative and liked by many. I really am interested to see who he picks and if he is smart and tries to unify the republicans behind him by making sure the VP is someone the conservatives can get behind. I sure hope he is.
    This would normally be true regarding his citizenship, and rightfully so, but Obama set the precedence on this issue for modern times and this will, now, not be an issue.

    I like Jindal, but LA is a sure thing for Republicans in the general election, so he doesn't bring a lot to the table in that aspect.

    I don't think Christie has a chance, for the reasons you stated. Two North East "moderate" Republicans will cause damage in Southern states when it comes to voting.

    I see Nikki Haley having a better shot at VP than Christie.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon300 View Post
    I see Nikki Haley having a better shot at VP than Christie.
    Is there anyone on the board from SC? Curious about their thoughts on Gov Haley.

    -Ted

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IbelieveinJesus View Post
    Is there anyone on the board from SC? Curious about their thoughts on Gov Haley.

    -Ted

    I am. She is an excellent governor! She said she will complete her governor term so she won't accept. The only knock on her is that she endorsed Romney.
    The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. (Revelation 22:21) ESV

    Dispatcher from the new teenage generation

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Im beginning to come around to Romney but that may be my udder disgust with our current administration talking. Ill have to do a bit of research on Condi and her liberal leanings.

    I hope everyone continues to join in...Im already learning.

    That said, Rubio is the guy Im pulling for. Not only because of this election but that would set him up very nicely for a run in 8 years should things fall that way.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,563

    Default

    I certainly hope you're correct on the Rubio issue, Gideon, because HE IS MY PICK!!! I absolutely love the guy--he brings tears to my eyes, but then, I start thinking about what our Lord stated regarding end-times delusions and all. I truly keep praying for discernment (and have been doing so for many years now). As much as I like some of the women out there (Nikki Haley sp.? for sure), I just don't see a woman on the ticket--I could be wrong, but I don't see voters ready for a woman yet. Another candidate whom I feel would be really, really good is Paul Ryan (congressman from WISC who keeps plugging out how to fix the budget and all). But I really feel that the VP pick will be most important and key to this election (along with Romney hammering away at Bama's failed policies).Okay.... to be continued...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon300 View Post
    This would normally be true regarding his citizenship, and rightfully so, but Obama set the precedence on this issue for modern times and this will, now, not be an issue.

    I like Jindal, but LA is a sure thing for Republicans in the general election, so he doesn't bring a lot to the table in that aspect.

    I don't think Christie has a chance, for the reasons you stated. Two North East "moderate" Republicans will cause damage in Southern states when it comes to voting.

    I see Nikki Haley having a better shot at VP than Christie.
    Now when these things begin to take place, look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near Luke21:28




    Cindy


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sojourner
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon300 View Post
    This would normally be true regarding his citizenship, and rightfully so, but Obama set the precedence on this issue for modern times and this will, now, not be an issue.

    I like Jindal, but LA is a sure thing for Republicans in the general election, so he doesn't bring a lot to the table in that aspect.
    Any chance of me holding my nose and voting for Romney will be gone if he picks one of these 2 guys. Good guys, but they aren't eligible. I heard Joseph Farah say on Hannity that whomever chose Rubio would lose 10% of the vote, I'd bet it even being larger than that.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    307

    Question Imho~~~

    If the Lord doesn't come to take me home before the election (which is a definite possiblity), I WILL vote for anyone but BHO... That said, I felt defeated to see Romney outlast everyone else. I don't know how many times I've warned, that you won't find a "conservative" coming from the state of Massachusetts. I lived there for thirty years and know the mentality! Land of the Kennedys, Tip O'Neal, Barnie Frank and yes, the suppossed "pick of the tea party", Scott Brown.

    I believe Romney was promised by the "Repub. establishment" that this time around would be his turn.

    As with all politicians, he has an ego larger than his bankroll. I don't believe he will choose someone that will "upstage" him as Palin did McCain. He will choose someone that will draw votes but beyond that , will sit down and shut up.

    From this point on its all about "drawing votes". I read that he had already chosen a homosexual to be his spokeperson; he will look to the south or west for his VP ~~ (perhaps Utah???).

    He is soft on immigration laws, and will offer some type of amnesty/dream act if elected. He is supposedly for "traditional marriage", but that could change (he's been known to waffle).

    As you can tell, I'm not thrilled with the Repub. choice, but its better than the direction we are currently headed!!

    If I had my choice it would be an Alan West/Sarah Palin ticket. I don't care which one gets "top billing".

    Obviously, I DON'T have my choice. Which makes me so glad that I "have citizenship elsewhere", I'm holding tight to my "passport", just waiting for the call "Come Up Here"!!!!
    "But those who wait upon the Lord, shall have their strength renewed,
    They shall mount up, as on the wings of eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint"!!! Isa. 40:31

    I"M WAITING!!
    MARANATHA,
    GOD BLESS, Dan
    1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoThankful View Post
    Any chance of me holding my nose and voting for Romney will be gone if he picks one of these 2 guys. Good guys, but they aren't eligible. I heard Joseph Farah say on Hannity that whomever chose Rubio would lose 10% of the vote, I'd bet it even being larger than that.
    Joseph Farah isn't the most reliable person to listen to for political foresight. Rubio is eligible if Obama is president. Obama being in the Oval Office makes this a non-issue. Obama's father wasn't even seeking citizenship like Rubio's parents were.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    Christie makes a good spokesperson/attack dog in certain places, but should not be on the ticket. As much as I've enjoyed how he's taken on the unions in NJ, he's liberal in many ways, and his persona might not go over well in other parts of the country. He is good for NJ.

    Rubio gives speeches that sound like Ronald Reagan. He has a great personal story and he's likable.

    Allen West got into some controversy over the "80 members of Congress are Communists" kerfuffle. I wondered at the time if that were all brought up in order to push him out of the running for VP.

    Problem with both Rubio and West is that they're both pretty new. It seems like the best guys are pretty new. Jindal as well.

    Paul Ryan is awesome, but actually is doing a better service to our country where he is than as VP. He also has young kids and doesn't want to subject them to the stuff that goes on in these races.

    Are there any other women besides Condi Rice?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sojourner
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon300 View Post
    Joseph Farah isn't the most reliable person to listen to for political foresight. Rubio is eligible if Obama is president. Obama being in the Oval Office makes this a non-issue. Obama's father wasn't even seeking citizenship like Rubio's parents were.
    I was just using his words, but according to a recent poll something on the order of 40%, or roughly 140 million people, of this nation realize Obama is not an NBC and has created a Constitutional crisis. If even half of that is aware of Rubio's ineligibility, they aren't going to vote for him. Two wrongs don't make a right. Rubio seems like a decent guy, though him voting for NDAA, etc really takes from his "conservative" credentials, but he's not eligible. It would be a very bad move on Romney's part to do this is all I'm saying. That's if Romney even wins the nomination and it's not even close to being settled yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •