Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: VP Selection Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    476

    Default VP Selection Thread

    The selection for VP is going to be crucial for this years election so I thought it would be interesting to get an ongoing thread about the possible candidates and their strengths/weaknesses. There are also of possibilities I dont know anything about such as Rob Portman, Suzanna Martinez, etc.

    Can we get a discussion going on the candidates and anyone with insight educate those of us who dont know anything other than those main candidates?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,430

    Default

    Marco Rubio. Florida conservative...He is my pick.
    He's also handsome as can be but that is not important. Or is it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,748

    Default

    My guess is Condeleza Rice or Marco Rubio, probably Condeleza Rice. Her name on the ticket gives immediate credibility to the Romney administration's foreign policy capabilities and will make it FAR more difficult for the Obama administration to pit African American voters against Romney strictly for racial reasons. Likewise, a Rubio VP ticket will make it far more difficult for Obama to pit the hispanic vote against Romney. The only thing either will not eliminate is the class-warfare going on.

    The one thing I know for sure - if a white male is put on the ticket as VP, no matter how strong his credentials, it will hand Obama a win in November.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robinbobbin View Post
    My guess is Condeleza Rice or Marco Rubio, probably Condeleza Rice. Her name on the ticket gives immediate credibility to the Romney administration's foreign policy capabilities and will make it FAR more difficult for the Obama administration to pit African American voters against Romney strictly for racial reasons. Likewise, a Rubio VP ticket will make it far more difficult for Obama to pit the hispanic vote against Romney. The only thing either will not eliminate is the class-warfare going on.

    The one thing I know for sure - if a white male is put on the ticket as VP, no matter how strong his credentials, it will hand Obama a win in November.
    I don't think she will help with the "race issue" of voters because she will and is labeled an uncle tom and already been horribly bashed by the media. I would like to see her in as VP but don't think it will help Romney's cause. It might actually hurt as I believe Sarah Palin hurt McCain, not that she was bad, but that the media took what they could and ran with it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    476

    Default

    I think Condi would be an amazing pick and would lend a lot more credibility to a Romney admin foreign policy wise. Although I wonder if this woudl harken people back to the Bush years which so many people were desperately trying to escape when voting for Obama. One would think she would give a little boost on the minority/women side of the vote.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Rubio's parents weren't citizens when he was born. Therefore he wouldn't fit the original intended meaning of the Constitutional requirement of "natural born citizen".


    Take one and pass it on!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    489

    Default

    My dream pick would be Rubio... but I am open to other suggestions.

    I see Portman being bandied about, he seems like a strong Conservative... not much wow factor there for me though...

    -Ted

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Joplin Mo
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Condi Rice is to liberal for an already liberal candidate Romney so if he wants the conservatives to vote for him he needs to go with a fairly conservative vice president. Rubio may not qualify due to his not being born here to US citizens they became citizens after he was born although he would be my first pick if he qualified. I don't know Portman he may be ok. Christie is to liberal he is another Romney we don't need 2 of them in office. I like Bobby Jindal the gov of La he is a real conservative and liked by many. I really am interested to see who he picks and if he is smart and tries to unify the republicans behind him by making sure the VP is someone the conservatives can get behind. I sure hope he is.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jreed3 View Post
    I think Condi would be an amazing pick and would lend a lot more credibility to a Romney admin foreign policy wise. Although I wonder if this woudl harken people back to the Bush years which so many people were desperately trying to escape when voting for Obama. One would think she would give a little boost on the minority/women side of the vote.
    I disagree with Rice being a good pick. In my opinion she wrong in her dealings with Israel. Plus, as someone else correctly pointed out, her race means nothing because of past media treatment.

    I second Marco Rubio, he is a strong conservative, and he will help carry Florida. I wouldn't mind seeing Allen West. He would be a major asset as VP with years of military experience behind him. Plus, he would also help carry Florida, but I don't see him being picked.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raml View Post
    Condi Rice is to liberal for an already liberal candidate Romney so if he wants the conservatives to vote for him he needs to go with a fairly conservative vice president. Rubio may not qualify due to his not being born here to US citizens they became citizens after he was born although he would be my first pick if he qualified. I don't know Portman he may be ok. Christie is to liberal he is another Romney we don't need 2 of them in office. I like Bobby Jindal the gov of La he is a real conservative and liked by many. I really am interested to see who he picks and if he is smart and tries to unify the republicans behind him by making sure the VP is someone the conservatives can get behind. I sure hope he is.
    This would normally be true regarding his citizenship, and rightfully so, but Obama set the precedence on this issue for modern times and this will, now, not be an issue.

    I like Jindal, but LA is a sure thing for Republicans in the general election, so he doesn't bring a lot to the table in that aspect.

    I don't think Christie has a chance, for the reasons you stated. Two North East "moderate" Republicans will cause damage in Southern states when it comes to voting.

    I see Nikki Haley having a better shot at VP than Christie.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon300 View Post
    I see Nikki Haley having a better shot at VP than Christie.
    Is there anyone on the board from SC? Curious about their thoughts on Gov Haley.

    -Ted

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,563

    Default

    I certainly hope you're correct on the Rubio issue, Gideon, because HE IS MY PICK!!! I absolutely love the guy--he brings tears to my eyes, but then, I start thinking about what our Lord stated regarding end-times delusions and all. I truly keep praying for discernment (and have been doing so for many years now). As much as I like some of the women out there (Nikki Haley sp.? for sure), I just don't see a woman on the ticket--I could be wrong, but I don't see voters ready for a woman yet. Another candidate whom I feel would be really, really good is Paul Ryan (congressman from WISC who keeps plugging out how to fix the budget and all). But I really feel that the VP pick will be most important and key to this election (along with Romney hammering away at Bama's failed policies).Okay.... to be continued...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon300 View Post
    This would normally be true regarding his citizenship, and rightfully so, but Obama set the precedence on this issue for modern times and this will, now, not be an issue.

    I like Jindal, but LA is a sure thing for Republicans in the general election, so he doesn't bring a lot to the table in that aspect.

    I don't think Christie has a chance, for the reasons you stated. Two North East "moderate" Republicans will cause damage in Southern states when it comes to voting.

    I see Nikki Haley having a better shot at VP than Christie.
    Now when these things begin to take place, look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near Luke21:28




    Cindy


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IbelieveinJesus View Post
    Is there anyone on the board from SC? Curious about their thoughts on Gov Haley.

    -Ted

    I am. She is an excellent governor! She said she will complete her governor term so she won't accept. The only knock on her is that she endorsed Romney.
    The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. (Revelation 22:21) ESV

    Dispatcher from the new teenage generation

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Im beginning to come around to Romney but that may be my udder disgust with our current administration talking. Ill have to do a bit of research on Condi and her liberal leanings.

    I hope everyone continues to join in...Im already learning.

    That said, Rubio is the guy Im pulling for. Not only because of this election but that would set him up very nicely for a run in 8 years should things fall that way.

  15. #15

    Default

    Alan West would be my first choice.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barryinaustralia View Post
    Alan West would be my first choice.
    I've got Alan pegged for SECRETARY OF DEFENSE! Excellent choice, however, Barry. I LOVE Alan West.... so much so that I'm on his e-mail list (even though they're coming via Florida with oodles of Townhall invites and I'm some 3,000 miles north in Minnisoooota!!!).
    Now when these things begin to take place, look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near Luke21:28




    Cindy


  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    520

    Default

    I love Rubio too. But whoever Romney picks, I just hope he/she will help him get elected Because the specter of another 4 years of Obama is terrifying to me

    "...but thou, O Lord, art a shield for me, my glory and the lifter of my head."
    Psalm 3:3

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowayyy
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raml View Post
    Rubio may not qualify due to his not being born here to US citizens they became citizens after he was born although he would be my first pick if he qualified. I like Bobby Jindal the gov of La he is a real conservative and liked by many. I really am interested to see who he picks and if he is smart and tries to unify the republicans behind him by making sure the VP is someone the conservatives can get behind. I sure hope he is.
    I don't really know too much about some of the people mentioned,I will have to do some reading I guess.

    However, Rubio not qualifying because his parents weren't citizens is a non-issue. I thought the person himself had to be a citizen, not the parents. I maybe wrong on that, but when I hear about "anchor" babies (ones that are born in the U.S. to non-U.S. citizens) they are all born as U.S. citizens. I had a friend who worked as a labor & delivery nurse in El PAso, TX and she said it wasn't uncommon to have Mexican (? probably illegal immigrants) show up @ the hospital ready to deliver. They couldn't be transferred because of how far along they were & the baby was born in the U.S. and therefore a citizen.

    It will be an interesting and tiring time leading up to the election night!
    This world is not my home. I'm just passing through. If heaven's not my home, O Lord, what would I do? The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."
    Complete justice for us will come only "when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels" (v. 7).

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moosejive View Post
    I don't really know too much about some of the people mentioned,I will have to do some reading I guess.

    However, Rubio not qualifying because his parents weren't citizens is a non-issue. I thought the person himself had to be a citizen, not the parents.
    Our founders wrote about this issue, and according to them Rubio would not be eligible to be President. But, like I stated earlier, neither would Obama, and the fact that our judicial system allowed him to take the oath and sit in the Oval Office has now set the precedence for this issue. This is sad because our system was not designed to run off of precedence, it was meant to view law solely on the constitutionality of it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    If Rubio was not eligible to serve as Pres, why wouldn't he be stating that as one of the reasons he would not accept the VP nomination -- he wouldn't legally be ABLE to? And why would he be continually questioned about accepting it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •