Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Be ready to give an answer 1 Peter 3:15

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the tarmac
    Posts
    770

    Default Be ready to give an answer 1 Peter 3:15

    Good Afternoon All,

    1 Peter 3:15 has been following me around the past several days and I sense the need to be prepared more specifically to defend my faith than say just having a general overview of the gospel. I am comfortable with presenting the gospel message but what I am looking for is much more detailed. I want to be able to give 30-40 scriptual references that build a case as if I were presenting to people who may already have some type of faith (like catholic, or mormon, or say even a Calvinist) My goal is to build a well layed out defense of the gospel. Like Paul would have presented when questioned. I have heard others do this in the past and am curious if there is a resource I can study and commit to memory in the event I am faced with a situation where I need to clearly lay out what I believe similar to what a trial lawyer would do with the given facts of a case.

    Could any of you either point me to some suggested resources or previous posts on this forum that could get me started?

    Thanks!

    Jeff
    "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."
    MTHW 24:31

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate
    Posts
    16,634

    Default

    Spend some time reading in the Apologetics section. The cults/apostasy sections are similarly filled.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

    John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

    “Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the tarmac
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Maybe I should first examine the verse as to what is meant here. Is it referring to a specific answer to a single question such as a general logical case in support of the gosple or be prepared to address a multitude of possible questions from non-believers as well as believers that arise during the normal course of life? Maybe I have too narrow of a take on what I am to be prepared for.
    "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."
    MTHW 24:31

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    This is an important verse but it is not requiring you to study for a Doctorate of Divinity. We never want to miss an opportunity to credit Jesus Christ whenever anyone asks a question like:

    "You know, it's been stressful here at the office for quite a while. But I notice that you always keep your cool and even seem thankful for challenges. So tell me: What's your secret?"

    My answer: "Look, man, there's nothing at all special about me - but let me tell you about a friend of mine who not only saved me, but walks with me into this office every day..."

    Those opportunities are precious. Someone has approched you. You didn't go around like a cult member knocking on strangers' doors, trying to convince them of your point of view. Someone really wants want you have, and wants to know what you know. You don't need a prepared sermon. Just talk about how you realized you were lost, and how you were saved. You will be surprised what you already know that the Holy Spirit will remind you of. You can also invite them to visit this site and examine its threads. If there's a question about scripture that hasn't been addressed on this site, I doubt it's worth addressing.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    This is an important verse but it is not requiring you to study for a Doctorate of Divinity. We never want to miss an opportunity to credit Jesus Christ whenever anyone asks a question like:

    "You know, it's been stressful here at the office for quite a while. But I notice that you always keep your cool and even seem thankful for challenges. So tell me: What's your secret?"

    My answer: "Look, man, there's nothing at all special about me - but let me tell you about a friend of mine who not only saved me, but walks with me into this office every day..."

    Those opportunities are precious. Someone has approched you. You didn't go around like a cult member knocking on strangers' doors, trying to convince them of your point of view. Someone really wants want you have, and wants to know what you know. You don't need a prepared sermon. Just talk about how you realized you were lost, and how you were saved. You will be surprised what you already know that the Holy Spirit will remind you of. You can also invite them to visit this site and examine its threads. If there's a question about scripture that hasn't been addressed on this site, I doubt it's worth addressing.
    Oh, I love this scenero!
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)


    BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the tarmac
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    This is an important verse but it is not requiring you to study for a Doctorate of Divinity. We never want to miss an opportunity to credit Jesus Christ whenever anyone asks a question like:

    "You know, it's been stressful here at the office for quite a while. But I notice that you always keep your cool and even seem thankful for challenges. So tell me: What's your secret?"

    My answer: "Look, man, there's nothing at all special about me - but let me tell you about a friend of mine who not only saved me, but walks with me into this office every day..."

    Those opportunities are precious. Someone has approched you. You didn't go around like a cult member knocking on strangers' doors, trying to convince them of your point of view. Someone really wants want you have, and wants to know what you know. You don't need a prepared sermon. Just talk about how you realized you were lost, and how you were saved. You will be surprised what you already know that the Holy Spirit will remind you of. You can also invite them to visit this site and examine its threads. If there's a question about scripture that hasn't been addressed on this site, I doubt it's worth addressing.
    Amen. I hear you Brother. For this scenario I am prepared. I have a strong testimony and have no problem joyfully sharing with anyone who would ask. And, perhaps I am putting more into this verse than necessary. However, I still sense a need to be even more specific. For example, most of my family are MS Lutherans. We attend a Baptist church. Now, I am the outcast. And, to them, I am following a lost meaningless religion. To them, and I am not kidding, only Lutherans will be in heaven. I have even heard some of them profess, "everyone is Lutheran, they just dont know it yet." Now, this is a different situation. Not many of them have a personal relationship with Jesus as is evidenced by their fruits (or lack thereof). I am not sure many of them even read their KJV bibles either. Yet, they are all experts on where I have gone "to the dark side". (and yes, they have jokingly said that to me.) I sense that I need to be armed with a much more direct tactic, still given in Love or course, but very well constructed verse by verse explaination of what I believe.

    I have no desire to put anyone down or beat them over the head. My goal is not to convert anyone either! I just think I need to be prepared at this level. There has to be something out there that could be used as a study guide to lay out this type of approach. I see many of you all do this even as Wally says on the Apolo/Aposti/Cult sections. Is this just a result of daily study?
    "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."
    MTHW 24:31

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Check out "the Romans Road to Salvation," http://www.gotquestions.org/Romans-road-salvation.html

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHIM! View Post
    However, I still sense a need to be even more specific. For example, most of my family are MS Lutherans. We attend a Baptist church. Now, I am the outcast. And, to them, I am following a lost meaningless religion.
    MS Lutherans, sounds like a program from Microsoft I don't want.

    That verse is meant more like what Raphael said so nicely.

    You have a different problem, its with other believers. What doctrines do they not agree with you about?

    In cases like this, maybe you need more armor than defense, if they truly think you are not "going to heaven." I've had that same experience before, its not pleasent. Anyone who trusts in the Lord Jesus alone is the one who is saved. Maybe they ought to examine themselves, see if they be in the faith. Lutherans claim the name of a man, Luther. I find that strange right away.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the tarmac
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    MS Lutherans, sounds like a program from Microsoft I don't want.

    That verse is meant more like what Raphael said so nicely.

    You have a different problem, its with other believers. What doctrines do they not agree with you about?

    In cases like this, maybe you need more armor than defense, if they truly think you are not "going to heaven." I've had that same experience before, its not pleasent. Anyone who trusts in the Lord Jesus alone is the one who is saved. Maybe they ought to examine themselves, see if they be in the faith. Lutherans claim the name of a man, Luther. I find that strange right away.
    So true! LOL As if MS Millenium Ed. wasn't bad enough they had to go after the Lutherans!

    Well, they don't believe the believers baptism issue and that baptism is a required part of salvation , they believe that the pastor "As an ordained minister of the word of God and by virtue of his office..." can forgive your sins, Then the whole salvation issue, let me see, that Christ died for all (which I believe, but that does not mean all will be saved) and that we are all covered by grace and only if we reject that does it mean you are not saved. At least that is how I understand their position. I think the biggest issue is that they will, at some point, come at me like the Pharisees did with Jesus all trying to set their traps. I want to be ready. Maybe I should follow Jesus's lead and just be silent.

    I do not want to start this at all, but I want to be able to stand my ground. I am good at remembering truth found in the bible, however not so good with remembering the references (chapter/verse). It would be a little awkward to say, "hang on a sec, I know its in here someplace" in the middle of a debate. I have to get it in my heart so the HS can help me recall it when needed.

    I am by no means God and I cannot judge a mans heart. But I honestly struggle with seeing evidence these people are truly saved. When my father says things like , "I go to church for the ambiance", I have to wonder. To top it off, he is mentally ill. Yet they are quick to slam my church family, my church and service format. This past weekend my father recorded our Easter program at church (it was delayed because of spring break) The comments are flying and I am sure I will be "approached" this summer when we are all at the lake. I just want to represent my King honorably and reponsibility.

    Its not just my family either. There are others too.
    "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."
    MTHW 24:31

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the tarmac
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan51 View Post
    Check out "the Romans Road to Salvation," http://www.gotquestions.org/Romans-road-salvation.html
    Thank You Jan51 I will look at this!
    "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."
    MTHW 24:31

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHIM! View Post
    they believe that the pastor "As an ordained minister of the word of God and by virtue of his office..." can forgive your sins
    That is quite Catholic.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHIM! View Post
    I think the biggest issue is that they will, at some point, come at me like the Pharisees did with Jesus all trying to set their traps. I want to be ready. Maybe I should follow Jesus's lead and just be silent.
    Most definitely follow the pattern the Lord showed us. Keep the armor in mind, know your status and no one will ever knock you off the rock. The humble and contrite man before God is standing upon solid rock. The arrogant and accusing are in a precarious place.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHIM! View Post
    I do not want to start this at all, but I want to be able to stand my ground. I am good at remembering truth found in the bible, however not so good with remembering the references (chapter/verse). It would be a little awkward to say, "hang on a sec, I know its in here someplace" in the middle of a debate. I have to get it in my heart so the HS can help me recall it when needed.
    I'm not a chapter/verse kind of person either, but I remember things as He brings remembrance. Even the Lord didn't quote chapter verse when confronted, though it was not broke down like that back in that day. He would just say...'the prophet Isaiah says....' I wouldn't get hung up on memorization. I would agree with you though, you must read the scriptures, and then the Lord will bring them to your thoughts. Its difficult because I don't know your background, how long you've studied and pondered these things. Obviously, the longer you have, the easier it becomes.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHIM! View Post
    I am by no means God and I cannot judge a mans heart. But I honestly struggle with seeing evidence these people are truly saved. When my father says things like , "I go to church for the ambiance", I have to wonder. To top it off, he is mentally ill. Yet they are quick to slam my church family, my church and service format. This past weekend my father recorded our Easter program at church (it was delayed because of spring break) The comments are flying and I am sure I will be "approached" this summer when we are all at the lake. I just want to represent my King honorably and reponsibility.

    Its not just my family either. There are others too.
    The ambiance thing is kinda funny, if said to the right crowd and in a jovial way. I think three key books to be very familiar with are Hebrews, Romans and Galatians. They are full of doctrine we put to use and live out. Maybe if you have some more specifics, we all can work through them a little more better.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Martin Luther is an unquestioned hero of the faith. He protested papal decrees/divinity and advocated individual salvation and relationships with Christ. But as you might expect, many Catholic traditions and practices were maintained by the new "Protestant" churches. Lutherans are still trying to reconcile matters that are incompatible with scripture (and represent differences among their two main divisions).

    They have infant baptism and catechisms - clearly holdovers from Roman Catholicism. They are quite "official authority" oriented - another holdover.

    There is asolutely nothing wrong with telling someone you may have to do a little research to provide complete responses - this shows them that you are not just trying to "point score" to win the debate you are involved in at the time, and maintains your credibility. When you back up your position with scripture, it is up to them to respect scripture. It is also their responsibility to "give (scriptural) answers" to your positions, and to treat you with respect - whether or not they realize this responsibility.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the tarmac
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Thanks guys this is great advice. We will see what happens. I will continue to focus on learning as usual.
    "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."
    MTHW 24:31

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Martin Luther is an unquestioned hero of the faith.
    I wouldn't go that far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    But as you might expect, many Catholic traditions and practices were maintained by the new "Protestant" churches.
    Which is the reason why it is certainly questionable. "Official" Lutheran doctrine is not much better than Rome. Few "paupers" probably pay much attention to official doctrine though.

    Not to mention his infamous anti-semitism.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the tarmac
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.



    Which is the reason why it is certainly questionable. "Official" Lutheran doctrine is not much better than Rome. Few "paupers" probably pay much attention to official doctrine though.

    Not to mention his infamous anti-semitism.
    Yeah, I think you said it best about the carry over of catholic traditions. Interestingingly, Concordia Theological Seminary is located nearby and my mom was talking aout a cerimony she attended a year ago. She was shocked at some of the things they did during the program very much resembled a catholic mass. I can appreciate some of the things Martin Luther did, but he was just a man. The issues I seem to be faced more with have to do with a lack of evidence of a conversion in the lives of the people in my extended family. That is hard for me to say because I know that sounds pompous, but I do not mean it like that. These people do not understand what a personal relationship is with Jesus. They seem to be stuck with the fear and trembling side of reverence and leave it at that. Therefore this comes out when they find themselves around people who have a personal relationship with Jesus. They interpret the joy and excitement as superficial and shallow and sacreligeous. Sometimes I wonder how so much of the gospel could have been missed by these people!
    "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."
    MTHW 24:31

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Shadowlands
    Posts
    7,338

    Default

    A study of Apologetics is extraordinarily helpful. Not all apologetics teachers strike a cord with everyone, it takes a little hunting to find one that you like. As you read the word, you can be on the hunt for verses that flesh out important apologetics points, such as the Divinity of Jesus, the prophetic accuracy of scripture, the actual gospel message and how different it is from every other religion (no good works, but faith and grace alone), etc...

    Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •