Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Christian screamo bands???

  1. #1

    Question Christian screamo bands???

    A pastor's son introduced my 19 year old son to some music bands claiming to be christian. Demon Hunter and August Burns Red are to name a couple, but I don't know. I looked up some of their lyrics, and they don't talk about Jesus, the Holy Spirit, etc. directly. Actually it's very hard to understand what they're talking about. Demon Hunters cover art and logos are horrendous. Not to mention the screaming in demonic sounding voices. I am all for different types of christian music to appeal to different groups, but this is not Godly in any way. It instills fear and makes me uncomfortable when I hear it. I tried expressing my concerns to my son but he accuses me of being old fashioned. I really could use some feedback on this. If I'm looking at this all wrong, please show me. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    271

    Default

    I'm 20 years old and I love screamo music. Some bands have undesirable lyrics, but they don't affect me spiritually in my opinion especially not when I wear the armor of Christ. But some bands are Christian bands. They are a younger generation style of music, so the lyrics are hard to understand. Teenagers relate to personal experiences so sometimes songs seem dark because it is portraying a person who is suffering but they are seeking hope and strength in the Lord. But often times their songs are just songs that don't have to do with God. They want to capture all audiences and they cant do that if they only focus on God.

    I don't know if this link will work but check out this song. It's clearly about Jesus, its beautiful and there is only screaming in like the last 30 seconds. Really, listen to it

    http://m.youtube.com/results?q=some%...scape%20lyrics
    John 15:13
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

    1 John 4:16
    "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

  3. #3

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate928 View Post
    I'm 20 years old and I love screamo music. Some bands have undesirable lyrics, but they don't affect me spiritually in my opinion especially not when I wear the armor of Christ. But some bands are Christian bands. They are a younger generation style of music, so the lyrics are hard to understand. Teenagers relate to personal experiences so sometimes songs seem dark because it is portraying a person who is suffering but they are seeking hope and strength in the Lord. But often times their songs are just songs that don't have to do with God. They want to capture all audiences and they cant do that if they only focus on God.

    I don't know if this link will work but check out this song. It's clearly about Jesus, its beautiful and there is only screaming in like the last 30 seconds. Really, listen to it

    http://m.youtube.com/results?q=some%...scape%20lyrics
    That was a lot different than the ones I am talking about. I cannot post a link since I am using my phone, but look up Demon Hunter False Kingdom and let me know what you think about that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Yeah that song was toned down, but all their others songs are heavier. I don't like the "death metal" kind of bands, but if they are truly expressing their faith in Jesus in a kind of roundabout way, then the sound if their voice shouldn't matter. But I will check out that song when I can. For now, I gotta go to work!
    John 15:13
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

    1 John 4:16
    "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,967

    Default

    Try Theocracy.

    It's metal, intense, but very spiritually grounded. Lots of videos on youtube with lyrics.

    I don't know if they qualify as "scream-o" but if, by that, you mean metal they're it.

    " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

    Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

    Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

    Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


    I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    My 18 year old listens to Demon Hunter and August Burns Red. His favorite "screamo" is As I Lay Dying. It's all listed as Christian music. Their videos are on GodTube. I can't tolerate the screaming, but I like the metal music. It's a different generation. My parents didn't like the stuff I listened to either.

    Personally, if this is the only thing you have to worry about with your son, you've done good!
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.
    ~2 Timothy 2:15

    God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10

    Default Exactly what the Devil wants us to think

    In my opinion I think this type of music is exactly what the Devil wants us to think is acceptable to listen to. I'm 19 and when I was first saved I listened to a band called Skillet, and my first impression was "alright cool I can praise Jesus and rock out at the same time". After awhile I think God opened my eyes and made me realize that if Jesus were here on earth today, this wouldn't be the music he would be listening to. From what videos I watched of Demon Hunters I saw no praise towards Christ, and I'm not saying these guys aren't saved and don't have intentions of praising Christ, but it just seems like this music is more towards pleasing the audience with sound rather than with the message. To me it seems like secular music with a sprinkle of "Christianity" just to make it seem like its okay to listen to. So overall I agree with you, and maybe ask your son if he think that if Jesus was here on earth today, would Jesus be wearing headphones rocking out to this type of music...

    Praying for your son that God may open his eyes like he did with mine, and praying that you may get through to him.

    God Bless!
    Last edited by kylek16; May 6th, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
    I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light

  8. #8

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by kylek16 View Post
    In my opinion I think this type of music is exactly what the Devil wants us to think is acceptable to listen to. I'm 19 and when I was first saved I listened to a band called Skillet, and my first impression was "alright cool I can praise Jesus and rock out at the same time". After awhile I think God opened my eyes and made me realize that if Jesus were here on earth today, this wouldn't be the music he would be listening to. From what videos I watched of Demon Hunters I saw no praise towards Christ, and I'm not saying these guys aren't saved and don't have intentions of praising Christ, but it just seems like this music is more towards pleasing the audience with sound rather than with the message. To me it seems like secular music with a sprinkle of "Christianity" just to make it seem like its okay to listen to. So overall I agree with you, and maybe ask your son if he think that if Jesus was here on earth today, would Jesus be wearing headphones rocking out to this type of music...

    Praying for your son that God may open his eyes like he did with mine, and praying that you may get through to him.

    God Bless!
    Like I said before, to me this doesn't glorify God in any way. I agree with you, the devil will use anything he can to mislead us. If bands like this add just a hint of something that sounds Christian, people believe it must be good. In my opinion, a lot of times it opens up doors to the darker stuff. Thank you for your prayers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The United State of Texas
    Posts
    27,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acrotinger View Post
    A pastor's son introduced my 19 year old son to some music bands claiming to be christian. Demon Hunter and August Burns Red are to name a couple, but I don't know. I looked up some of their lyrics, and they don't talk about Jesus, the Holy Spirit, etc. directly. Actually it's very hard to understand what they're talking about. Demon Hunters cover art and logos are horrendous. Not to mention the screaming in demonic sounding voices. I am all for different types of christian music to appeal to different groups, but this is not Godly in any way. It instills fear and makes me uncomfortable when I hear it. I tried expressing my concerns to my son but he accuses me of being old fashioned. I really could use some feedback on this. If I'm looking at this all wrong, please show me. Thanks.



    Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

  10. #10

    Default

    I've seen Demon Hunter live. They're very vocal about their love of Jesus. They may not say the name of Jesus in every song, but they are a band made up of Christians, and they won't try to take him away from God, trust me. Skillet, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying are all Christian too, as well as other bands.

    Someone higher up said that you've done well if this is all you've got to worry about, and I think I agree. I'm sure you're happier with him listening to those bands rather than bands like Cradle Of Filth, who my friend likes. They give me absolutely horrible feelings. I really wouldn't reccommend listening to them.....ouch.

    Also, to whoever mentioned Theocracy, they are classed as power metal, they don't really scream at all. But they are much more vocal in their lyrics about Jesus. Two other good Theocracy-like bands are Narnia and Seventh Avenue.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kylek16 View Post
    In my opinion I think this type of music is exactly what the Devil wants us to think is acceptable to listen to. I'm 19 and when I was first saved I listened to a band called Skillet, and my first impression was "alright cool I can praise Jesus and rock out at the same time". After awhile I think God opened my eyes and made me realize that if Jesus were here on earth today, this wouldn't be the music he would be listening to. From what videos I watched of Demon Hunters I saw no praise towards Christ, and I'm not saying these guys aren't saved and don't have intentions of praising Christ, but it just seems like this music is more towards pleasing the audience with sound rather than with the message. To me it seems like secular music with a sprinkle of "Christianity" just to make it seem like its okay to listen to. So overall I agree with you, and maybe ask your son if he think that if Jesus was here on earth today, would Jesus be wearing headphones rocking out to this type of music...

    Praying for your son that God may open his eyes like he did with mine, and praying that you may get through to him.

    God Bless!
    Let me explain to you who I am before I move on. I am a 18 year old home schooled girl who's parents are very religious, prayer warriors and Pentecostals. I grew up in a Episcopal church, then I moved and went to a Methodist one. My mom thinks rock music is evil, not because of the lyrics, because of the beat of the drums. But she has let me listen to it because I listen to Christian music. I grew up with this issue all my life, and I to, have prayed to God. I also have to let you know Skillet is my favorite band and I got this account only to reply to your post.

    Now, there wasn't any pianos, cellos, violins, etc back in Bible times. Therefore, what's the difference between them and drums/guitars? If your answer is nothing(and if you say there is, explain), then that means it's only having to do with the lyrics, correct? If that's the case then let's talk about something. What does being a Christian mean, exactly? It means to be a Christ-follower, correct? In Jesus day they didn't have music like today, we don't know if Jesus would listen to this or not. So again, it brings us back to the lyrics. Just because we are a Jesus follower, does it mean we don't have trials in our lives? That we don't sin, or feel alone? Of course not, every human being has that. I don't listen to screamo bands, not because I think it's evil, but because I just don't like that type of music. So I don't know about Demon Hunter's lyrics, but I do know about Skillet's. Give me any song of theirs(out of their 8 albums) and I'll explain it. The Last Night is about how someone thinks their life isn't worth living and no one cares and so they are going to take their life, but God is there to say that if you give yourself to me, it will be "the last night" you will spend alone. Awake and Alive is about how this world is trying to tell you what you can and can't believe, how to think, but that they won't sell their souls and that they know what they believe. Then there is their old stuff, like Earth Invasion and Alien Youth.... <3

    And I don't mean to say this "at" you, but to everyone. I get tired of Christians judging every little thing, things they haven't really digged deep about. People judge bands and artists, because they are not "regular" Christians, when they are. Do you think Toby Mac is evil too? Cause let me tell you, people do. Just because evil is out there and real, doesn't mean everything and everyone IS. " Don't judge by outward appearance" This is why I'm proud to be a part of "The Whosoevers movement". Do you think that if music I listen to was bad, that so many people would be saved? Take a look at Lacey of Flyleaf. She used to hate Christians and was going to kill herself, but she had a church experience that made her become a Christian instead. Look at Brian Head Welch, who was part of Korn, but became Christian and is in a Christian Metal band. Liking a different style of music than other people, listening to Skillet instead of Casting Crowns(actually I love CC too), doesn't make you or the band bad. If your judging based on the fact that Skillet isn't praising God in every song, do you praise God every second of the day? I know we should, but do we? Skillet is reaching out to a generation that is hurting. Teen suicide is on the rise, just take a look at Amanda Todd. Cutting is on the rise too, in fact I know a couple people who do, and a lot more who used to. Abortions are too. And feeling lost and unworthy. This is the point of their music. To give music that understands this generation, but in a uplifting way. Music is my passion, I started taking up drums and plan to be in a band like Skillet one day. I know how music affects us. How listening to it can tear us down or bring us up. And since Skillet is my favorite band, I know the members as much as a fan can. I know about their Bible study, which is how I started reading the Bible again. I know about the Save Saeed campaign because of them. I read Pursuit of God by A.W Tozer because of them, I have heard their life stories. I have listened to their preaching/teachings. I love their Ardent Worship album. Look deeper at the band before you stop listening to them. I'll stop ranting now lol.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    14,698

    Default

    Until this thread, I'd never heard of screamo. I just watched/listened to "As I lay Dying". What I saw was anger, despair, emptiness, anarchy. I didn't see anything good in that. Nothing Christ-like.
    Tall Timbers

  13. #13

    Default

    i would like to clear all this up.

    first to acrotinger i understand you fear for you son, but you are missing the point.
    demon hunter a very godly band and so is august burns red. demon hunters whole message is about forgiveness. just due to one song that does not talk about god does not men they are ungodly im sure you have said one thing today that did not involve god. you need to look up more than one song and look up the meaning behind it like fading away or carry me down.
    about how demonic they are if you have ever heard of hudson tyalor you will know he was a missionary to china
    he dressed like the chinese and acted like them so he could reach them because that is what was inportant not pleasing the people back home. demon hunter has taken on the style and the look of the common metal band.
    if you were a lost person would you want to listen to somone who seamed perfect and holy, i think not.
    you called his voice demonic, i suppose you have spoken to many demons or not because demons and the devil
    are beautiful why would an angel be ugly no one is tempted by things that arnt pretty


    to kylek16

    you are off base brotha you said that jesus wouldnt listen to this music, but why wouldnt he?
    listen to this the words of no greater love by texas in july.

    "there is a conviction
    when you belive above
    absence leaks from inside and brings you back to life again
    i fear an emptyness so i just seek the truth then i just find my self
    running back to you,
    lord bind our souls as one no greater love
    there is no greater love"

    what was hateful about that? did jesus not say let the children come to me?
    he cares for all wether your a worship leader or a drug dealer.
    so if you pour out your heart to god and worship him through screamo give me one good reason why he wouldnt listen to it! he lived with the tax collectors and the prostitutes they loved him and he loved them back. the Christianity in screamo isnt the devil trying to poison us its god trying to spread the antidote of the truth the those that are dying of poison. you said im praying for your son but im praying for your eyes to be opened to the truth.


    and to you tall timbers
    you are wrong about as i lay dying. there message is about hope and love for those that are weaker than others thats what as i lay dying means helping those that are dying and bringing them new life in jesus christ.
    there song "the sound of the truth" says why do you waste your time praying if you refuse to hear what he has to say? the meanings to this is why do you ask for the write thing to do if you wont do it.
    all of you are fearful that this music will poison us with the devils words but those of us that arent fearful
    are the ones writing the music and screaming the truth if you have somthing important to say but no one will listen you will scream and demon hunter wants to be heard! look up for today they will blow you away listen to my confession he proclaims "my king is alive my king is alive and he has conqured the grave once and for all!" and the song crown of thorns " it should have been me with the nails through my hands and feet why do you live as a king but die as a slave it should have been me" is that not love is that not hope?

    hudson taylors counter parts thought he was crazy, insane and ungodly for what ho did by dressing like the unclean, but it was hudson taylor who saved lives and rescued souls. you people are judging before understanding only one can be the judge and these bands will continue to save lives wether you help or not.
    demon hunter is a missionary going to the dark places to save the lost souls. would you really say they are wrong? "through faith i can move mountains" demon hunter has faith and they are ripping the mountain of
    dispare out of the deepest pits of hell and helping those who are lost because they arnt here for you to judge they are saving lives and nothing else matters

    thank you for hearing what i have to say i do apollogize if i sound angry it is not meant to be that way
    i just want to say the truth for all to hear.
    just like the founder of megadeath said "i was dangerous when i was in witchcraft but now im more dangerous than ever because im armed with the power of christ and with him nothing can stop me now.

  14. #14

    Default

    a lot of times bands talk about being lost as if they were in that persons shoes but thats not what they mean so look up more than one song and look up the meaning and look for the good not just the bad

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    14,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reViveskater View Post
    i would like to clear all this up.

    you are off base brotha you said that

    you are wrong about as i lay dying.
    It appears that you see something in the music that some of us do not. That doesn't mean that the other opinions are wrong or off base. Thanks for clearing it all up for us...
    Tall Timbers

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    I like flyleaf. Lacey Mosely's testimony is powerful, and she has a hauntingly beautiful voice.

    Lyrics from their song "Cassie":

    '"Do you believe in God?" Written on a bullet '

    <<shivers>>

    It's about one of the girls at Columbine. The shooter asked her did she believe in God, and she answered yes, and he shot her. It makes me think what would I do with a gun to my head. Would I lie to save my skin? I hope not. Cassie didn't.

    Others are good, All Around Me, and Fully Alive, the whole album is good.

    Check it out.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate
    Posts
    17,286

    Default

    I made it as far as Petra and White Heart.

    It sounds like this is in the genre of Five Fingered Death Punch.

    Perhaps our kids are so used to us screaming at them, this type of music seems normal.


    But it is interesting watching the effect of Scott Joplin, Chopin, or Debussy on youth.

    They freak out like cats chasing a laser.


    And we do have the Piano Guys and Lindsey Sterling instilling some culture.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

    John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

    “Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Tbh im disappointed in yalls responses; i know we all have different opinions though. Songwriting is an art, and you write bout different things from different perspectives, sometimes obscure sometimes plainly. Kutless had bold lyrics when they were metal. Skillet is christian, but has some of both.
    The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. (Revelation 22:21) ESV

    Dispatcher from the new teenage generation

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    14,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clemson View Post
    Tbh im disappointed in yalls responses; i know we all have different opinions though. Songwriting is an art, and you write bout different things from different perspectives, sometimes obscure sometimes plainly. Kutless had bold lyrics when they were metal. Skillet is christian, but has some of both.
    Every piece off art has its critics. If a person is honest in their critic, then that should be the most the artist can hope for. In my own post I described what I saw when I watched it. I gave a personal and honest critique. Hey, I was Country when Country wasn't cool... what can I say? I don't care for many modern types of music, though in some cases I can appreciate the art in them. Not in the case of screamo, though, but that's just me.
    Tall Timbers

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    It appears that you see something in the music that some of us do not. That doesn't mean that the other opinions are wrong or off base. Thanks for clearing it all up for us...
    thanks for understanding and being nice back i know i sounded a little upset but its really just passion.

    i also listen to country and to my friends its still not cool. eric church is really good.

    also you are right by saying every art has its critics. i think that is very true.

    although in the end it doesnt matter what critics think. because there is only one critic that has all the write answers.

    i was very impacted by this music specifically the band "the devil wears prada" i was convinced that no one could love someone like me.

    this band opened my eyes through there lyrics and they taught me that i would always be loved no matter what and someone wanted me, and that even the people around me cared, and that i was just to selfish to see it.

    god has used this band to open my eyes and to understand the writes and the wrongs of this world.

    they wrote a song called danger: wildman (i know its a stupid name) in the song they lyrics basicly say

    i know a ghost (meaning the holy spirit) and they talk about how God can be upset but through him anything can be done. then he says vanity is a sepulcher meaning that the vanity of the world will be our graves.

    then he says collect the leaves count them, study them, feed every single one of them. this means that god cares for every one and is always there to help.

    the next verse says. " when worded correctly truth is never a cliche, this is because so many are attached to there deaf ears" meaning the truth will always win the hearts of those who are willing to listen.

    so what i mean to say is guard yourselfs but dont let your guards stop you from listening to the truth in places you would not have expected it to be. (in this case hardcore music)

    you are right just because we dont agree doesnt mean me or you is off base it just means that we need to understand each other.

    you dont find it as a very artlike form of art. where as i am a drummer and i can see past the screaming to see the instrumental and that it is difficult so i appreciate it. so let bigons be bigons and agree to disagree

    all i want you to see is that without this music i doubt i would be talking to you on a christian forum.


    i would like to say one more thing in an as i lay dying song they say

    "why do you pray when you will only hear what you want to hear" this means that if you want to hear the truth you have to be able to accept it as the truth so please hear what i have to say with an open heart

    as they also said "we have all heard what we wanted to hear, truth that sounds right to our hears,
    but it takes the bigger man to know what must be done and hear what he doesnt want to"

    thanks for reading my story i just wanted all of you to understand, and also thanks for being very very respectful to my opinion because in the end you right it really is just an opinion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •