Thread: 5 ways thieves steal credit card data

Hybrid View

Default 5 ways thieves steal credit card data

This is becoming quite common now.Scary.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...rd-data-1.aspx

I've also heard of other ways too.

In a petrol station (Gas station), the assistant watches you put your PIN number into the machine and photographs your credit card with their mobile (cell phone). With both pieces of information, they can easily clone your card and have a rare old time using your card.

The 2 following occurrences happened to me in the past few months.

I had an email from my credit card company saying that there was some dubious transactions in my account and would I please click on the link?

The email certainly looked plausible but, on closer inspection, there were 2 spelling mistakes in it. I phoned my credit card issuer who denied sending me this email and I requested a new card just in case they had my details. (I think they thought I had a zip up the back of my head - translation sawdust or woodshavings for brains )

The second occurence happened only a couple of weeks ago.

I got an email from PayPal telling me that there was insufficient money in my account for a transaction. The fact that I don't have any money stored in PayPal obviously never occurred to them.

I ignored that email too.

But because they looked genuine, i may well have been taken in by their emails.

So it can be all too easy to fall for these tricks.
    Isaiah 43:1-3 Romans 10:9 John 6:35 John 6:40

livetolove:
    You shouldn't even open those e-mails. I get those on my secondary e-mail account and I delete them right away.

Thanks for that. I realise that now, so thanks very much for the advice.
    Isaiah 43:1-3 Romans 10:9 John 6:35 John 6:40

Quote Originally Posted by live2love View Post

In a petrol station (Gas station), the assistant watches you put your PIN number into the machine and photographs your credit card with their mobile (cell phone). With both pieces of information, they can easily clone your card and have a rare old time using your card.

I had an email from my credit card company saying that there was some dubious transactions in my account and would I please click on the link?

The email certainly looked plausible but, on closer inspection, there were 2 spelling mistakes in it. I phoned my credit card issuer who denied sending me this email and I requested a new card just in case they had my details. (I think they thought I had a zip up the back of my head - translation sawdust or woodshavings for brains )

I got an email from PayPal telling me that there was insufficient money in my account for a transaction. The fact that I don't have any money stored in PayPal obviously never occurred to them.

I have often thought that it is scary to use a credit card at the gas station.Then how do you pay for your gas?I rarely have cash and it is a hassle to go to the bank and get cash out only for gas.

Ugh I think it's time to only use cash when buying day to day stuff.

*Most* of the time, I pay w/ either cash or a check, even when purchasing gas. 90% of the time, I use case when at restraunts.
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommytoa3rdgradeboy View Post
    *Most* of the time, I pay w/ either cash or a check, even when purchasing gas. 90% of the time, I use case when at restraunts.
    Their are alot of companies now that will not take checks.It is not safe to have alot of money in your wallet.

For those of you who get emails and aren't sure where they come from,
    just mouse over ( hover) the link that is provided and look at it carefully.
    The site you would be going to is shown at the bottom of your browser
    in the left hand side. Don't click! Just hover and look at the info at the
    bottom of your browser. You will often see the name of the genuine site is changed by a letter
    or two, or there is a re-direct command in the link. Easy way to see if
    the email is 'phishing' or a complete fraud.
    Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

Default The only safe way to answer a e-mail is to...

Quote Originally Posted by live2love View Post

call your credit card on the phone, I never answer any e-mails for that very reason. Also then if you find out it is a fraud send it to the Credit Cards Fraud Department this helps them nail frauds before they ven realise they are the ones being tricked.
    John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.Matthew 5:23-24 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Default Please Assist the Credit Card companies.

Forward all fake corresspondence to their Fraud departments.
    John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.Matthew 5:23-24 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.