View Poll Results: Should Christians be on Facebook

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 82.76%
  • No

    5 17.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Should Christians be on Facebook?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    103

    Default Should Christians be on Facebook?

    I was recently having this discussion with some friends at bible study.
    They are all avid Facebook users and sing the praises of this new social media.
    My concern, and it is only a concern not a hard and fast position(yet) is that most of what I see on Facebook is "look at me, look at me, look at me".
    So much of what is posted even by Christians is done for the sole purpose of bringing attention to self.

    The Apostle Paul warned us in the last days that a clear sign would be that mankind would be on a "lover of self " epidemic.
    But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (2 Timothy 3:1, 2 NKJV)

    The following article is interesting and raises some other valid concerns regarding Facebook.
    I am generally interested to hear what others think on this topic.
    Blessings in Him,
    Anymomentnow

    Should Christians Be on*Facebook?
    FROM R.C. Sproul Jr. May 27, 2010 Category: Articles

    Should Christians be on Facebook? What about all the privacy issues that are in the news these*days?

    I sometimes wonder if the devil doesn’t take great pleasure in irony, in watching us turn ourselves inside out while missing the point. While I am on Facebook, and therefore at least hold to a tentative conviction that such is allowable for Christians, there are any number of reasons to raise concerns over it. Privacy and the lack thereof, however, would likely be the last one I would raise. With Facebook’s very public and controversial announcement of its change in policy with respect to privacy, that, however, is what has many Christians concerned. How, I wonder, can a person take a technology that exists to say to the watching world, “Here I am. Come see about me” complain that the world is coming to see about them? Anyone who wishes more privacy can find such easily enough. Don’t use Facebook. If you already do, stop. We are in a moral uproar for all the wrong reasons. We are aghast at the owners of Facebook for daring to change their policy (which, remember, the original policy held out as at their discretion) rather than being appalled at ourselves for implicitly breaking the 8th Commandment. We think because we are a user of Facebook that such makes us an owner of Facebook, and so demand this and demand that from the real*owners.

    That said, here are some very real concerns I have about Facebook. First, has it become a god to us? When God commands that we have no other god’s before Him He doesn’t mean ranked higher than Him, but rather He means in His presence. If Facebook is too needful for you, you may need to stop. Second, has it become a graven image? Have you confused its reality with real reality? Do you really think you have 200 friends? Third, have you taken the Lord’s name in vain? That is, have you, in weaker moments, put a bad face publicly on your Christian witness? Are you laughing at your old sins with that old buddy from college or high*school?

    Fourth, is Facebook giving me the peace of the Lord, or agitating me? (And please note the very real difference between that peace that passes understanding and that “peace” we receive when we feed a habit, when we get a fix.) Am I jumpy when I don’t get to log on? Am I more keyed up after I’ve logged off? Fifth, am I honoring those in authority over me? Wives, are you failing to honor your husbands because you’re too busy reading about your friends? Children, are you failing to honor your parents because you’re too busy sending*flair?

    Sixth, is this technology honoring to life? The cyberworld can be a barren wasteland, not because it is filled with pornography and gambling, but because it isn’t real, because it is Gnostic. Seventh, are you loving your spouse on Facebook? Is the rush of nostalgia from finding long lost friends encouraging you to be dissatisfied? Are you secretly looking for that old girlfriend? Are you already caught up in adultery simply by wishing you could be sixteen again? Or do you not know that Facebook can all too easily devolve into relational pornography? The allure of porn is that you think you can have the joys of the sexual union without having to have a real relationship with a real person. The allure of Facebook is much the same. Eighth, are you stealing from your employer by not giving a full days work because you are moonlighting at Farmville, or as a Mafia Don? Or, simply because you are spending your hours at work at*play?

    Ninth, are you lying? That is, is the you you present on Facebook the real you? This technology has an insidious capacity to both hide reality and fool us into thinking we are both showing and seeing it. Why are our updates all about our victories- I just made cookies for the family; My son just hit the game winning home run; rather than our failures- I just shouted at my little girl; I left my computer on the airplane and it’s gone? Keep a particularly close eye on this one. And tenth, is Facebook encouraging contentment or resentment? Are you coveting your neighbor’s friend count? Are you jealous of how many “likes” there are for his posts compared to yours? And are you content with the real life you are shutting out while hunched over your*keyboard?

    Please don’t misunderstand this little thought experiment. I suspect we could walk through the Ten Commandments in light of our church, and find many of the same temptations. That doesn’t mean you should stay away from church. It does mean we ought to be deliberate enough to know what we are doing, and why we are doing it. And deliberate begins by affirming that our own hearts are not just desperately wicked, but deceitful as well. We don’t need to protect our privacy. We need instead to expose our sins to the light, the light of Scripture that we might repent and believe, that His face might shine upon*us.
    Perhaps Today!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    489

    Default

    I use Facebook to keep up with family and friends, share photos, that sort of thing.

    I believe the last time I posted there was a few weeks ago where I posted a video of my daughter at a horsey competition, and thought that her grandmother, who shares the same interest, would be interested in that.

    From what I can gather, most of those whom I have listed as "friends" tend to use it in the same way. I did have a friend in College who seemed to use it exclusively to post about his atheism or gayness. I defriended him, not necessarily because of either of those two issues, but because political debates really aren't the reason I use Facebook.

    I suppose any tool is susceptible to corruption or abuse, I bet when the telephone was introduced there were concerns about people becoming addicted to that, however, I see nothing inherently wrong or sinful with using Facebook.

    Of course this is based on my experience, the writer of the article in the op, seems to have experiences that are different than mine..

    -Ted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The United State of Texas
    Posts
    27,722

    Default

    As a witness and presenter of Jesus? Of course!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post

    Should Christians Be on*Facebook?
    FROM R.C. Sproul Jr. May 27, 2010 Category: Articles

    Should Christians be on Facebook?
    Just good 'ole Sproul trying to drudge up some old fashioned calvinist guilt.

    Also a rehashing on the arguments for/against MySpace.



    Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    Pretty much everything in the world can be used for evil. People use baseball bats to bludgeon others, but the bat is not evil and my husband and I never banned the appropriate use of baseball bats by our children. It's the hearts of sinful men that are evil and that is why we humans can always find a way to sin using even the most benign objects.


    Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

    A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

    Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The United State of Texas
    Posts
    27,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post
    I was recently having this discussion with some friends at bible study.
    They are all avid Facebook users and sing the praises of this new social media.
    My concern, and it is only a concern not a hard and fast position(yet) is that most of what I see on Facebook is "look at me, look at me, look at me".
    So much of what is posted even by Christians is done for the sole purpose of bringing attention to self.
    yes, FB is for the narcissistic entitled "Me" generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post
    I wonder, can a person take a technology that exists to say to the watching world, “Here I am. Come see about me” complain that the world is coming to see about them? Anyone who wishes more privacy can find such easily enough. Don’t use Facebook. If you already do, stop. We are in a moral uproar for all the wrong reasons. We are aghast at the owners of Facebook for daring to change their policy (which, remember, the original policy held out as at their discretion) rather than being appalled at ourselves for implicitly breaking the 8th Commandment. We think because we are a user of Facebook that such makes us an owner of Facebook, and so demand this and demand that from the real*owners.
    doesn't have to be that way, FB is neutral; you can make it a family album to share with visitors or sell a product, ideology, or even a witnessing tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post
    That said, here are some very real concerns I have about Facebook. First, has it become a god to us? When God commands that we have no other god’s before Him He doesn’t mean ranked higher than Him, but rather He means in His presence. If Facebook is too needful for you, you may need to stop. Second, has it become a graven image? Have you confused its reality with real reality? Do you really think you have 200 friends? Third, have you taken the Lord’s name in vain? That is, have you, in weaker moments, put a bad face publicly on your Christian witness? Are you laughing at your old sins with that old buddy from college or high*school?
    has the ideology like calvinism become a god? everything in moderation is acceptable, the fine line is use going into abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post
    Fourth, is Facebook giving me the peace of the Lord, or agitating me? (And please note the very real difference between that peace that passes understanding and that “peace” we receive when we feed a habit, when we get a fix.) Am I jumpy when I don’t get to log on? Am I more keyed up after I’ve logged off? Fifth, am I honoring those in authority over me? Wives, are you failing to honor your husbands because you’re too busy reading about your friends? Children, are you failing to honor your parents because you’re too busy sending*flair?
    How about too busy getting caught up in church programs and activities to cultivate a nurtured relationship with God and family?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post
    Sixth, is this technology honoring to life? The cyberworld can be a barren wasteland, not because it is filled with pornography and gambling, but because it isn’t real, because it is Gnostic. Seventh, are you loving your spouse on Facebook? Is the rush of nostalgia from finding long lost friends encouraging you to be dissatisfied? Are you secretly looking for that old girlfriend? Are you already caught up in adultery simply by wishing you could be sixteen again? Or do you not know that Facebook can all too easily devolve into relational pornography? The allure of porn is that you think you can have the joys of the sexual union without having to have a real relationship with a real person. The allure of Facebook is much the same. Eighth, are you stealing from your employer by not giving a full days work because you are moonlighting at Farmville, or as a Mafia Don? Or, simply because you are spending your hours at work at*play?
    We can get caught up in anything of the world and even the church, always need balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post
    Ninth, are you lying? That is, is the you you present on Facebook the real you? This technology has an insidious capacity to both hide reality and fool us into thinking we are both showing and seeing it. Why are our updates all about our victories- I just made cookies for the family; My son just hit the game winning home run; rather than our failures- I just shouted at my little girl; I left my computer on the airplane and it’s gone? Keep a particularly close eye on this one. And tenth, is Facebook encouraging contentment or resentment? Are you coveting your neighbor’s friend count? Are you jealous of how many “likes” there are for his posts compared to yours? And are you content with the real life you are shutting out while hunched over your*keyboard?
    People like hearing good news, the media gives us bad news, once again, balance
    Quote Originally Posted by Anymomentnow View Post
    Please don’t misunderstand this little thought experiment. I suspect we could walk through the Ten Commandments in light of our church, and find many of the same temptations. That doesn’t mean you should stay away from church. It does mean we ought to be deliberate enough to know what we are doing, and why we are doing it. And deliberate begins by affirming that our own hearts are not just desperately wicked, but deceitful as well. We don’t need to protect our privacy. We need instead to expose our sins to the light, the light of Scripture that we might repent and believe, that His face might shine upon*us.
    Depends on how far he is going with this here.......confess all your sins on FB

    Quote Originally Posted by jadeeyes View Post
    Pretty much everything in the world can be used for evil. People use baseball bats to bludgeon others, but the bat is not evil and my husband and I never banned the appropriate use of baseball bats by our children. It's the hearts of sinful men that are evil and that is why we humans can always find a way to sin using even the most benign objects.
    Correct, you can use your van to take your friends to work or run your neighbor over.

    Another good point on FB is exposing and sharing your Christian and political beliefs in a way it cannot be misunderstood by others. I actually made close friendships on FB with high school and college acquaintances because we have salvation and conservatism in common; would have never happened without FB.

    But if you are worried about your future employment because of your party pics you have bigger problems than FB.



    Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    306

    Tsk tsk They are making book on you!!!

    I have been around computers even before Bill Gates or Al Gore, and I've been a Christian for
    many years now. Someone at our church opened a facebook account for the church and
    wanted me to "contribute" to it. In order to do that, I needed a "facebook account". I also
    had it in my mind that I could use it as sort of a "ministry".

    I was wary of google prior to this, and would not use their "search engine" or software in any
    way. I knew they were recording your keystrokes / internet selections, etc. and soon had a
    book on your location and primary interests (which they could market to advertixing agencies).
    Every computer has its own unique "address" and once they have your address they have your
    information. While I was on facebook, I was appalled at the things people would reveal about
    themselves and their families. After a while, really, nothing is hidden (and believe me it's being
    recorded. Just within the last couple weeks, facebook obtained "face recognition" technology.
    (supposedly this is to automate the "tagging" of photos on facebook, but it could be used in
    many other ways.) If they have you "tagged" on facebook and it goes into the "collective
    database", believe me, they really do have you "tagged"!!!

    I'm not a "conspiracy theorist" but I am a realist. I believe there is "collaboration" between all
    the "social networks" and the government. There is a new NSA (national security agency) compound
    in Neb., or Nev. that has just recently been set up. Their "mission" is not really known.

    This may come as a shock, but I also have strong "political opinions" and let them be known on
    various "news websites". All of a sudden, I was no longer able to post or have an account.

    I'm not concerned about myself, they should know by now that I'm a "Fanatic Christian", and where
    I live. It's very possible that one day they might come after me. I am concerned for members of my
    family. I take exception to anyone "making book" or "stalking" my grandchildren.

    I cancelled my facebook account earlier this year. It wasn't a "spiritual conviction" but a practical one.

    All I'm suggesting is that you be very cautious what you enter on the internet. If it's something
    you wouldn't want everyone to know, you probably shouldn't enter it. Just Sayin ~~~

    God Bless, Dan
    1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NCIS LAND, A.K.A. GIBBSVILLLE
    Posts
    4,556

    Default

    Facebook is no different than any other social gathering. People will act the way they do, have relationships they do whether face to face or online.

    Mankind's fallen nature dictates how one thinks or behaves, not a bunch of data on a server. People on facebook exist in real life, shaped by their lives and their relationship with or not with Christ.

    So I know Christians will act as they do, in whatever manner they do, whether on or off facebook.
    Psalm 30:11-12 (New King James Version)

    11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
    You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
    12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.



    Pre-Flood!
    Thanks for the citizen title Hoot!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    This is what I see on FB - yes. There is some "look at me, look at me, look at me". Yes, there is some political ranting (and even some religious ranting). Just like in real life. But, the fact that I can post pictures of my kids, limit them to select people (think the grandparents, aunts and uncles and close friends who live far away) instead of having to e-mail each person and deal with their spam filter settings or the fact that they can't open attachments, the fact that I can keep up with the younger generation of my relatives who travel extensively for work and live throughout the country as well as S. America. Could I pick up the phone? Sure. And, I do. But for the in-between times its fun to see what they're up to.

    Those who use it for narcassistic or ranting purposes - I defriend them. Those who annoy me, I hide them. It's up to me how I filter them, just like it's up to me In real life to use discernment in who I choose to be friends with and spend my time with.

    I don't think this is a Christian/Non-Christian thing. I think we as Christians risk getting into the "I'm More Christian Than You Are" trap when we go into life with that mindset and risk judging other Christians who choose to use it. All tools can be used for good or evil depending on the person's intentions.

    That said, there ARE major issues with FB and I am pretty creeped out by their new facial recognition software. Since I use it predominantly for photos, there's a pretty good chance I'm going to stop posting anything on there because it's becoming far too "Big Brother" like.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The United State of Texas
    Posts
    27,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Elder View Post

    I'm not a "conspiracy theorist" but I am a realist. I believe there is "collaboration" between all
    the "social networks" and the government. There is a new NSA (national security agency) compound
    in Neb., or Nev. that has just recently been set up. Their "mission" is not really known.

    This may come as a shock, but I also have strong "political opinions" and let them be known on
    various "news websites". All of a sudden, I was no longer able to post or have an account.

    I'm not concerned about myself, they should know by now that I'm a "Fanatic Christian", and where
    I live. It's very possible that one day they might come after me. I am concerned for members of my
    family. I take exception to anyone "making book" or "stalking" my grandchildren.

    I cancelled my facebook account earlier this year. It wasn't a "spiritual conviction" but a practical one.

    All I'm suggesting is that you be very cautious what you enter on the internet. If it's something
    you wouldn't want everyone to know, you probably shouldn't enter it. Just Sayin ~~~

    God Bless, Dan
    I'd be concerned if I was post trib; I wouldn't even be on FB if I was post trib, or even use credit cards; my eschatology/Theology does effect my lifestyle.

    Online resources are good for keeping everyone plugged in; no one, like Obama and the progressives, can escape their shadiness. I post my FB news here on RR and RR news on my FB; it helps spread awareness and spreads light on the darkness.



    Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    14,791

    Default

    Christians should be on Facebook if they want to be... They shouldn't feel compelled to participate on social networking sites. I personally don't see value in participation on social networking sites.
    Tall Timbers

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The United State of Texas
    Posts
    27,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    Christians should be on Facebook if they want to be... They shouldn't feel compelled to participate on social networking sites. I personally don't see value in participation on social networking sites.
    The gospel is spread through the social medium of an audible vehicle or written message, which is basically booklets, word of mouth, internet, etc..



    Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    860

    Default

    IT is not the problem. Our sinful nature is. Facebook is not bad. Doing bad on Facebook is bad. It's what you make of it. Sin in=sin out.
    The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. (Revelation 22:21) ESV

    Dispatcher from the new teenage generation

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    4,770

    Default

    Well, all you have to do is go to any public place and
    observe any number of people staring blankly at all
    their little cyber machines.

    When people can't manage the simplest task without juggling
    their phones and pods you have to wonder how anybody ever
    survived the No-Tech past. IMO, it has had quite an
    effect on people and wouldn't describe it as positive.
    http://rr-bb.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2301&dateline=1357777  734
    I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
    Psalm 16:8 KJV

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    As north as possible
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Paul says that we should be swift on our feet on delivering the gospel and witnessing to a lost and dying world. Facebook is a powerful tool for that. Tweeting is good as well. When you do this though--be prepared for a battle. You better have the full armor of God on without any chinks in it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbrian40 View Post
    Paul says that we should be swift on our feet on delivering the gospel and witnessing to a lost and dying world. Facebook is a powerful tool for that. Tweeting is good as well. When you do this though--be prepared for a battle. You better have the full armor of God on without any chinks in it.
    I know a lot of folks say FB helps with spreading the gospel etc. but when I was on I just saw debates. Curious--does anyone have any IRL stories of a life transformed b/c of FB?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The United State of Texas
    Posts
    27,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovePsalm40 View Post
    I know a lot of folks say FB helps with spreading the gospel etc. but when I was on I just saw debates. Curious--does anyone have any IRL stories of a life transformed b/c of FB?
    I use FB to proclaim the gospel, I'm not responsible for the harvest, we are to plant gospel seeds everywhere we go. I do get lots of "thank you" messages off my personal website, but I'm more than content waiting for the actual harvest time.



    Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    10,061

    Default

    Dan, I used to stress out a lot about conspiracies, government plots, "they" are watching me... I take medication and I don't have those problems anymore. In fact, I can laugh about it.

    So what if they track what I'm writing? It's all about Him; Bible Handouts, "I'm praying for you", encouraging others, and getting a little encouragement myself when I'm having a bad day.

    God's got my back. That's all I need to worry about.

    You should also be aware of rule #13:
    [13]No liberal left wing political agendas, pacifism, socialism, libertarianism, fascism, scientism, Tax Dodging, Anti-American Conspiracies, Anti-War Propaganda; No American nationalist theories that the United States is Israel or Mystery Babylon. No "Financial Fear and panic, store ammo and cans" threads stressing America is going down the tubes and Jesus is leaving us stranded. No plotting to overthrow the American government. No Conspiracy theories such as FEMA camps....Practice your faith through prayer trusting God always providing our needs and never forsaking us.

    " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

    Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

    Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

    Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


    I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    5,274

    Default

    I agree with most of the responses. Anything can be used for evil. I do note a lot of 'look at me' stuff on FB to the point of absurd. I have noted some outright ugliness and eveil posted on FB, as elsewhere.

    I'm not very active on the site myself but have a couple of other benefits in addition to the good ones already mentioned:

    For me, it allowed me to find and re-connect with some biological siblings that I had either never met, or only met once in the arly 90s. I'm adopted and didn't find out until I was 21. Found a brother and sister in 1993 and fell out of touch. Reconnected some 18 years later and connected with some other siblings (two younger sisters and one older brother) I have never met before on FB!

    Photos, and not just because they are great to share but because FB has been a back-up of photos that otherwise would of been lost when a couple of my previous cheapo computers croaked and it was not worth the hundreds of $$$ getting them repaired.

    I also watch some interesting news feed from the various ones that I've 'liked' on the site.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post

    [B]Another good point on FB is exposing and sharing your Christian and political beliefs in a way it cannot be misunderstood by others. I actually made close friendships on FB with high school and college acquaintances because we have salvation and conservatism in common; would have never happened without FB.

    But if you are worried about your future employment because of your party pics you have bigger problems than FB.
    I assume when you say "...it cannot be misunderstood by others.." you are talking about email and how they are often misunderstood. My question would be why is FB better than Skype or just phoning. I realize we cant personally visit all our old friends due to distance but at least Skype gives you a face to face with the person your talking to. Wouldn't this be better than FB for accurate exchange of ideas and information?
    Or even a BB like this provides that opportunity.

    Thanks for your thoughts buzzdhut.
    Perhaps Today!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    I agree with most of the responses. Anything can be used for evil. I do note a lot of 'look at me' stuff on FB to the point of absurd. I have noted some outright ugliness and eveil posted on FB, as elsewhere.

    I'm not very active on the site myself but have a couple of other benefits in addition to the good ones already mentioned:

    For me, it allowed me to find and re-connect with some biological siblings that I had either never met, or only met once in the arly 90s. I'm adopted and didn't find out until I was 21. Found a brother and sister in 1993 and fell out of touch. Reconnected some 18 years later and connected with some other siblings (two younger sisters and one older brother) I have never met before on FB!

    Photos, and not just because they are great to share but because FB has been a back-up of photos that otherwise would of been lost when a couple of my previous cheapo computers croaked and it was not worth the hundreds of $$$ getting them repaired.

    I also watch some interesting news feed from the various ones that I've 'liked' on the site.
    That is awesome $teve. To have re-connected with your biological siblings must have just been such a blessing.
    Perhaps Today!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •