Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chick Fil A Christians - food bank

Doh! Chick Fil A Christians - food bank

The Chick-Fil-A picture about Christians needing to line up at a food bank was posted on a ‘Christian’s FB.

A FB friend of his posted the following:

You are right America never gives to those in need. When was the last time you attended a church? Maybe you are hanging out with the wrong crowd! Flaunting charity is not a Christian value. Loving sinners and hating sin can exist at the same time. If you want controversy look at the 75 countries that criminalize homosexuality 9 of which carry along the sheath penalty. Makes you want to thank W for trying to spread democracy ?!

His response:

1) any christian knows that attending church is not a requirement
    2) my crowd is my wife, we're fine, thank you
    3) the only country in question here is the USA
    4) GWB's foreign policy was atrocious at best and BO's has been the best since Clinton

...people baffle me when it comes to this whole chik-fil-a thing; the comment made by the owner was not ambiguous and the resulting "flock" to the restaurants is indicative of what is wrong with conservatism and, by extension, religion today - there is more of a battle cry against homosexuality than their is against poverty and hunger - and that's a shame and i do not wish to converse with or "share a moment with God" under any roof with that kind of mentality - the notion to help the poor, the weak, the hungry should supersede any law, document, etc that any country has - i just get really sick of the toxic hypocrisy that is conservatism and the religious right - until you agree that i can sell my daughter into slavery, you cannot say a word about homosexuality from a religious standpoint...nothing!

What is a good response to this? This seems to be a common theme among sone of my FB friends, even a few ‘Christian’s’. Help!
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

This was the best response I've read:

What a media storm. All because somebody said they support Gods design for Man and Woman, please understand, Chick-fil-A does not discriminate. That would be contrary to Christian doctrine, which instructs that we are to love the sinner and hate the sin. You can't love someone if you shut him or her (or it) out, and genuine Christians reach out to all people. The company policy states, "The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect -- regardless of their belief, race creed, sexual orientation or gender. Just thinking out loud.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

From what I read, I think I would let that FB post die.

Both are set in their ideas and a responce will only start a larger battle. I would say each side has ammo ready to fire off if you don't agree with them.

Sometimes the best answer is no answer at all.

just my .02 cents

Israel

I won't say this is how to respond, but this is the most important thing to keep in mind...anyone who hasn't given their life to Jesus is going into eternal perdition. Yes, it's good and right to feed the poor and there are plenty of us who are engaged in it, we just don't all make it a big public thing. What is the greater good? To feed the body or to lead the soul to salvation? The Great Commision isn't to feed the poor, it's to bring to Good News to the world!

In addition, many of the people at CFA on 8/1 were supporters of free speech, the first amendment to the constitution. That concerns our country directly.

I know of many wonderful Christian organizations who do go out into the world feeding the poor while spreadng the Good News. I've also seen small acts such as a person coming out of McDonalds and giving their food to someone with no money for food.

What happened at CFA Wednesday shows anyone who was interested enough to look that there are many people who support the Word of the Lord and/or the first amendment. These are good things! I question those who are so focused on feeding the poor above everything else if they are not deflecting from an issue in their own lives, the fact that they themselves do very little if anything to help others.

If anyone, especially a Christian is going to judge another Christian on their charity, they had best be ready to give a full accounting of their own giving. I end with these words from the mouth of the Savior:

Matthew 7:1-5

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!

We'll def. need more Christians at homeless shelters as long as the Dems, Obama, Reid, & Pelosi are in control.

The Pagans/Atheists are always best at pointing fingers and judging.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Just to clarify, *I* am not planning on responding...period. I would just like to know what would be a good response. This is a common (unfortunately) mindset among some liberal 'Christians', and if I get in this position, I would like to know the best way to respond. I really don't make myself very clear on here sometimes...sorry.
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

I wouldn't respond to this person--they've drank so much kool-aid that they are beyond "drunk".
    For them to say we're so much better off under the current regime is completely laughable and the disconnect from reality is extreme--you can't reason with that mentality (or mental disorder, whichever you prefer )

Secondly....Christians give more food to shelters and those in need than all libs combined. Notice the difference in the way we approach it. We do it out of the goodness of our hearts and consider it charity--in other words it's voluntary. Libs love to force people at the point of a gun to hand over their goods for others (and by others I mean only those they deem as in need) through taxes, threats, intimidation and lawsuits.

I know of a friend of mine who didn't have a Chick-Fil-A near him....so what does he do on August 1st? Calls up one in another state and orders $50 worth of sandwiches and donates them to a local Senior Center nearby. They came by & picked up the food. Thing like this never get mentioned (or worse they are conveniently ignored).

Lastly, for these libs to say "Jesus specifically told us to feed the poor"....LOL LOL LOL
    When he was talking to Peter regarding "feed my sheep" he was referring to a spiritual feeding through the Blessed Word of God. I'm so sick of the ignorants taking God's word out of context. Sure, we're supposed to "feed the poor if they're hungry"....how many of you have offered to buy a homeless person a meal lately and all they do is look at you funny since what they really want is your cash for other things?

Remember Matthew 26:11.....No lib policy no matter how much work is put into it will ever change that.
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

A friend of mine posted this dumb picture yesterday and I responded. I told him that Jesus Christ wants people to be saved and that it profits a man nothing if he's fed for a day but still loses his soul. These people seem to think that it's all about the good deeds when really it's all about Jesus. They're so blind and they're flailing about like children right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    A friend of mine posted this dumb picture yesterday and I responded. I told him that Jesus Christ wants people to be saved and that it profits a man nothing if he's fed for a day but still loses his soul. These people seem to think that it's all about the good deeds when really it's all about Jesus. They're so blind and they're flailing about like children right now.
    Ah yes our "good works" helped so much....yet that same person is hungry again tomorrow.

John 6:35 says it all. People are really blind to the Spiritual battle right in front of us. This physical world is a huge facade.
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I don't usually get into debate with the lefties.

What I do, generally, is share my testimony, all the glorious things God has done for us. How He healed my husband, when all the doctors were telling me he was hopeless. How God restored my sanity and how much I love Him for carrying me through dark times.

Then I offer them a Bible or scripture booklet. They either take it or don't, most do, and I go on with my life, praying for them daily.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

I was under the impression that all people who showed up at Chick-fil-A weren't necessarily Christians. Some were there to show their support for free speech.

So who knows who is in the picture and how many are Christians.

If the government would get out of the charity business (as discussed on another thread) there would be more Christian faces at food banks and the like. But that's a whole other issue isn't it?

I'd tell them that they're comparing apples and oranges.

Tsk tsk

GWB's foreign policy was atrocious at best and BO's has been the best since Clinton
    surprised he did not say Carter!

BO and Carter both hated Israel. i don't agree with everything with what GWB did,especially when he went over the collective heads of Congress and gave millions of dollars to the Palestinians was in itself was a disgrace.

they are too busy kissing up to and bowing to the islamic kings and he is a embarrassment to me,i am actually ashamed to say BO is president.

he can't even speak without a teleprompter which tells me he has nothing to say on his own behalf.

i would had even go as far as the last real presidents we had was Regan or JFK,at least they loved this country.

Clinton was a smooth talker and BO has great writers handling his teleprompter.

Bush did not at least take any guff from the world leaders as much as you know who but he was weak compared to Regan.
    In God I Trust

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    I was under the impression that all people who showed up at Chick-fil-A weren't necessarily Christians. Some were there to show their support for free speech.

If the government would get out of the charity business (as discussed on another thread) there would be more Christian faces at food banks and the like. But that's a whole other issue isn't it?

i agree!!

i do appreciate the fact they did not let the gay community bully them as the gay community has bullied others.i like the moxie they displayed!
    In God I Trust

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    This is good stuff and is exactly what I am looking for, for future reference if *I* am put 'in this position'. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommytoa3rdgradeboy View Post
    This is good stuff and is exactly what I am looking for, for future reference if *I* am put 'in this position'. Thank you!
    i agree with that too,that was a great post you quoted.
    In God I Trust

Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    I don't usually get into debate with the lefties.

What I do, generally, is share my testimony, all the glorious things God has done for us. How He healed my husband, when all the doctors were telling me he was hopeless. How God restored my sanity and how much I love Him for carrying me through dark times.

Then I offer them a Bible or scripture booklet. They either take it or don't, most do, and I go on with my life, praying for them daily.
    I am 'debating' w/ anyone...just to clarify.

So, what would you do if someone asked you, while you were handling out Bibles or witnessing to someone, what your thoughts were on the Chick Fil A issue, you gave them, and then they come back w/ the words that were in my OP? Do you just not reply, or how would you answer. That is my question. I want to be ready to give a Biblical, accountable answer to the hard questions, not just *dodge* them.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post

Excellent point about the apples to oranges comparison...another FB poster in a conversation among 3 or 4 people (myself excluded) said that exact expression...thanks!

Thanks everyone for all replies! I appreciate this forum so much. It is the ONLY forum to which I belong. Well, unless you count FB, and I don't count that.

I hope y'all are having a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by saved by Grace View Post
    i agree!!

i do appreciate the fact they did not let the gay community bully them as the gay community has bullied others.i like the moxie they displayed!
    Agreed!

One of my "friends" on Facebook posted this. I responded by saying "Actually, Jesus commnaded us to do both (help the poor AND stand against sin). A Christian should do both."