Thread: Help I Lost My password

Default Help I Lost My password

Hi. This is Futurehope. I am using my old computer to write this, but I purchased a new computer and I do not know my username and password to sign on on the new computer. Can you help me please? Thanks.
    Jesus saith unto him, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me." John 14:6

Check the email address we have for you.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Thanks. Someone from the forum sent me an email to reset my password. I am sorry, but I did not see a button or a question mark or anyone to ask what my password was??? So, I posted on here. But, I'm squared away now.

Is there a set way to have your password reset without posting on here like I did?
    Jesus saith unto him, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me." John 14:6

Are you figured out and OK? i'd hate to lose you over a password fiasco!

Quote Originally Posted by futurehope View Post
    Thanks

Is there a set way to have your password reset without posting on here like I did?
    Not a set way, no. You could PM a mod but since it's often hard to know who's online, what you did is probably the best way.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Default Need to reset my password

I received a new computer and need to reset my password. I do not remember my current password. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Romans10:9 View Post
    I received a new computer and need to reset my password. I do not remember my current password. Thanks so much
    If you have windows 10, you can try the instructions on this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-...in-windows-10/

If you don't have a windows live account you might have to reset the computer to its original state

Reset your Windows 10 local account password

• If you forgot your Microsoft account password, follow these steps.
    • If you donít have a Microsoft account and forgot your local account password, you canít recover it. Instead, youíll need to reset your PC.
    • Warning: Following these steps will remove all of your data, programs, and settings.
      • Start your PC and select the Power icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the lock screen.
      • While holding down the Shift key, select Restart.
      • On the Boot options menu, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
      • Your PC will restart and will reset itself.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Default Thank you!

Thanks and may God bless you. I appreciate the assistance.

This is not specific to your OP, but I created an XL file with all my accounts, user names, passwords, security questions, etc. I password-protected that file, then put it on an encrypted flash drive. I am not a computer geek...just made me feel safe, especially since I have different passwords for all my accounts.

I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken because He is right beside me. Ps. 16:8

Quote Originally Posted by Momma D View Post
    This is not specific to your OP, but I created an XL file with all my accounts, user names, passwords, security questions, etc. I password-protected that file, then put it on an encrypted flash drive. I am not a computer geek...just made me feel safe, especially since I have different passwords for all my accounts.
    That's pretty much what I've done. I'd never remember any of the log-in credentials if they weren't written down, and the password-protected file at least gives me a sense of some security even though it is probably easily by-passed by those who know how to do those things... I've got several hundred separate log-in credentials that have been established since the dawn of the public world wide web.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    That's pretty much what I've done. I'd never remember any of the log-in credentials if they weren't written down, and the password-protected file at least gives me a sense of some security even though it is probably easily by-passed by those who know how to do those things... I've got several hundred separate log-in credentials that have been established since the dawn of the public world wide web.
    You've definitely got me beat on the sheer number of your log-ins
    I also wanted to have a hard copy for or sons, in case anything happens to us...there will be accounts that need to be closed out.
    We are officially old!

I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken because He is right beside me. Ps. 16:8

Lightbulb

You've definitely got me beat on the sheer number of your log-ins
    I also wanted to have a hard copy for or sons, in case anything happens to us...there will be accounts that need to be closed out.
    We are officially old!
    Wonderful idea!! I have them written down and hidden, but I like your idea much better!! Thank you to Tall Timbers and Momma D.

Quote Originally Posted by Romans10:9 View Post
    Wonderful idea!! I have them written down and hidden, but I like your idea much better!! Thank you to Tall Timbers and Momma D.
    I know the spread sheet (or dedicated password handler) is the way to go,

but haven't done it yet. Mine are still in Text files (on an encrypted drive).

I should join a procrastinator club, but haven't gotten around to that either

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    I know the spread sheet (or dedicated password handler) is the way to go,
    but haven't done it yet. Mine are still in Text files (on an encrypted drive).

I should join a procrastinator club, but haven't gotten around to that either
    Because of the days ahead (everybody getting into the cyber warfare game) we should probably all up our game on password security. I have been writing a thesis on the subject, but with some new information that a geek friend provided me, I got just a little delayed. Still, should be able to share the info in a few days.

In the mean time, a good password manager is PWSafe. I have followed the career of the guy who originally authored it, and read reviews on it. They basically wrote it for the very paranoid, but made it user friendly enough for the average person to learn to use it. Easier than using a spreadsheet.

I have been studying it and beginning to load my passwords into it. It looks like it can import CSV files, which Excel type spreadsheets can export. Unfortunately, my current system is made up of passwords written (in my own private code) into text files here and there, so that won't help me.

There is another like it, called KeyPass, and I have heard similar reviews for it, but don't have personal knowledge of it. I suspect it is just as good. It is always good to have more than one way to get the job done

I am not tech savvy enough to know about the pw protectors...I just did what I thought was a good idea...
    Do programs like keypass remain on your computer?

I am not tech savvy enough to know about the pw protectors...I just did what I thought was a good idea...
    Do programs like keypass remain on your computer?
    Both PWSafe and KeyPass are entirely on your computer, although I think you can also keep the data on a USB stick if you choose. That would be useful for people who have to log on from various computers, like on a campus or at a corporation.

The password managers that are part of browsers like Explorer, Chrome, and Netscape have a history of being easy to break into, although right now I don't know of any cases where normal people have had to worry about that. (I have seen cases where hackers were targeting someone important at a corporation and broke the system that way.)

PWSafe and KeyPass do the same thing as your Excel spreadsheet, the only difference is they were made specifically for doing that job, and provide a little better protection for people who may be targets of espionage. (There are only a couple of people on here who fall into that category.)

The password protection on Excel itself has some flaws (or it did several years ago) but you said you also keep that on an encrypted drive, so that should be secure enough. (Although you didn't mention what kind of encrypted drive.)