Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Test

For Children: Bible verse memory helps. Imagine a costume and setting for a.....

Dance Instructor

Ps 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

Have you ever watched a woman in a long, formal gown and a man in a tuxedo perform a slow, elegant dance for an audience? If so, then you know that skilled dancers do a beautiful job and the results can be very enjoyable for them as well as the audience.

We could use their example as an analogy for life. Think of the Lord as being like the ultimate dance instructor. In other words, although we can expect some occasional difficult maneuvers, if we follow the Lord's example, walk in his footsteps and move through life the way He taught us in His word, then our life is more likely to be like an elegantly performed dance (1 Peter 2:21, Eph 5:1).

How so? First, life, like dancing, is more enjoyable for us and those around us when it is done right, as it flows more smoothly. Secondly, we will be less likely than nonbelievers to jostle other "dancers," lose our balance, miss an important step or trip over the kinds of problems which Jesus tells us how to avoid. Thirdly, a dance performed well can help others learn how to do it right, too (Titus 2:7, 1 Tim 4:12). And, lastly, when our dance is done properly, we are also more likely to get "high scores" from the Lord (John 12:26, Matt 25:21). Want to be a success? Dance to please the Instructor!

1 Peter 2:21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
    Eph 5:1 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children
    Titus 2:7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. . . .
    Phil 1:27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. . . .
    1 Tim 4:12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
    John 12:26 "Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me."
    Matt 25:21 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!'"

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

For Children: Bible verse memory helps. Imagine a costume and setting for a.....

Homemaker

Prov 31:27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Have you ever stopped to think how much your mom does for you? .....or maybe even made a list of all those nice things she does for you? Bet it's a lon-n-n-ng list! Typical homemakers work very hard at their jobs--but for love, not for money. For instance, homemakers spend a great deal of time taking care of the family, cleaning house, preparing meals, washing dishes, doing laundry, grocery shopping and taking care of things while dad is at work.

Taking good care of children includes feeding, bathing, clothing, hugging, kissing and protecting them. It includes teaching them about the Lord, the salvation message and lots of the many helpful Bible rules for living. It includes talking with them, playing with them, reading to them, helping with their homework, being a good example and taking care of them when they are sick. It includes teaching children to be responsible (like doing their chores). It includes teaching them life skills to help them survive when they grow up (like how to cook, clean, sew on a button, wash clothes, balance a checkbook, etc.). It also includes disciplining children when they misbehave, and saying “no” to something a child wants that the parent knows is not good for them. (Children usually aren’t too happy with those last two situations at the time, but often when they grow up they are grateful their parents did what they did!)

Even President Abraham Lincoln pointed out the value of good mothers. He said, "No man is poor who has had a godly mother."1 Good mothers love their children immensely, and consider them precious gifts from God (James 1:17). By the way, did you know that children are very important to the Lord? He smiles down on mothers who take good care of their children and on children who honor their mothers! If you have a good mother you are very blessed indeed!

Prov 31:28-29 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”
    Prov 31:10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
    Prov 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
    James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above . . .
    Ex 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

[Activity: Tomorrow is Mother's Day! Want to make your mom’s day? Choose several pretty colors of construction paper and make her a little "appreciation" card. Then you can make her a pencil holder, too. Ask Mom for a clean, dry, empty soup or vegetable can. You can cover it with construction paper and a pretty design, or, if you have some craft supplies, you might instead cover the can with some fabric, lace and ribbon. Write something nice inside the card (like maybe what you appreciate about her), maybe include a Bible verse (like maybe one of the above verses) and make sure you date it and the pencil holder (some moms like to keep special-memory treasures like that and it's nice to know what the date was and how old their child was when they made it; hint: a permanent marker will write on a smooth surface like the bottom of the can).

If there are flowers in your garden and only if Mom doesn't mind you picking them, pick her some pretty flowers, too. No flowers? How about dandelions? If you pick several bright yellow dandelion flowers, cut off the stems and float them in a cereal bowl, even that looks really pretty.

When you are done, give it all to her with a big hug and tell her how much you love and appreciate her!]

1 William J. Federer, America’s God and Country Encyclopedia of Quotations (Coppell, TX: FAME Publishing, Inc., 1996) 392.

- - - - -

Happy Mother's Day!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

For Children: Bible verse memory helps. Imagine costumes for.....

Babies

Heb 5:13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.

Spiritual growth takes a while. Picture babies who have just learned to stand. Normally, they must learn to walk before they can run. In the process, they fall a few times. Likewise, we can't accept Jesus on Tuesday and expect to be perfected by Wednesday. Learning to walk with the Lord is a process. The Holy Spirit transforms us bit by bit. He also helps us desire to grow in godliness (2 Cor 3:18, 1 Pet 2:2-3).

So, how do we grow spiritually? Bible study is a key part of it (2 Pet 3:18, Phil 1:9-11, Col 1:9-12)! It can get us past knowing just the important "milk" of the basics (like how to be saved) and on to the important "solid food" (like how to live a holy life). We can also grow through such things as: obedience to God; attending a good, Bible-based church; spending time with good Christians (including strong, mature ones from whom we can learn by example); experiencing and paying attention to God's love, blessings, guidance and answered prayers; learning from our mistakes; learning through difficult times, producing good fruit, serving God, etc.

We are all works in progress. Although we won't be entirely perfect this side of heaven, we can certainly "make every effort" to live a life pleasing to the Lord (1 John 2:5-6, Rom 12:2, 2 Peter 1:3-9, 2 Pet 3:14)! Let the Lord help you continually grow into the likeness of his Son (Rom 8:29, Heb 10:14).

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
    2 Cor 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
    1 Pet 2:2-3 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.
    2 Pet 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
    Phil 1:9-11 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God.
    Col 1:9-12 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.
    1 John 2:5-6 But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.
    Rom 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
    2 Peter 1:3-9 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
    2 Pet 3:14 . . . make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.
    Rom 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
    Heb 10:14 "For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."

Edited to add additional verses useful for older children/young adults.

______

For Children: Bible verse memory helps. Imagine a costume for.....

Florence Nightingale (May 12, 1820 - August 13, 1910)

Ps 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

Florence Nightingale was born in Florence, Italy, into a wealthy British family. She could have lived a luxurious life, but instead she felt God had called her to help others. Nightingale became an extremely hard-working nurse and hospital reformer. Often carrying a lamp from bed to bed, checking on injured soldiers she nursed during the Crimean War, the grateful soldiers dubbed her “The Lady With the Lamp.” She is still known by this nickname today.

Hospitals were dirty and poorly cared for in those days. Working tirelessly, Nightingale greatly improved hospital conditions, the state of nursing and policies on hospital cleanliness. Even Queen Victoria accepted advice from her and carried out some of her suggestions. Nightingale believed that "Christ is the author of our profession." She founded a school for nurses and also wrote the first textbook for nurses. She was the first woman to receive the Order of Merit award from the king of England. Way to go, Florence!1

2 Cor 4:6 For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
    Ps 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?

1 Helen Kooiman Hosier, 100 Christian Women Who Changed the Twentieth Century (Grand Rapids, MI: Fleming H. Revell, 2000) 229-234.

______

Happy Armed Forces Week (now) and Armed Forces Day (on the 17th) to all our military personnel, past and present. Thank you for your courage, dedication, patriotism and sacrifices!

For those of you who would like to reach out to a military person and/or help them find Christian fellowship and resources, see:
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1807...13#post2303813

For a post on Military Personnel and teaching children how to be Christian soldiers, see:
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...56#post2390556

For some Bible passages that military personnel may find helpful:
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...16#post2392716

______

The number of this post, 666, should make it easy in the future to find this collection of Bible passages useful for teaching about the mark of the beast.

Lev 19:28 (KJV) Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. [cf. NIV: "'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.’”]
    Matt 16:25-26 (NIV) "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"
    Rev 13:15-18 (NIV) The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666. [cf. Rev 13:16 (KJV) And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:]
    Rev 14:9-12 (NIV) A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand [KJV: in his forehead, or in his hand], they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.
    Rev 15:2 (NIV) And I saw what looked like a sea of glass glowing with fire and, standing beside the sea, those who had been victorious over the beast and its image and over the number of its name.
    Rev 16:2 (NIV) The first angel went and poured out his bowl on the land, and ugly and painful sores broke out on the people who had the mark of the beast and worshiped his image.
    Rev 19:19-20 (NIV) Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his army. But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
    Rev 20:4 (NIV) I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Note: For more information on the mark of the beast and other end-times matters, see:
    http://www.gotquestions.org/search.p...k+of+the+beast

______

RR, my PC died yesterday, apparently from a power-supply problem.

I was pretty stressed at first. We tried to fix it to no avail, but I called Staples and they think that in spite of the broken power thing and at no extra charge, they can probably transfer my files from my old PC to my brand new PC for about $100 plus tax, plus even make my recovery discs for me, all as part of their premier-new-PC-setup package price. I am embarrassed to say, I have had the new PC for quite a while and never set it up yet. I knew how to transfer some of the files, but I didn't know how to transfer all the files and the settings. So now the experts will take care of it for me and I will finally get to use my new, way faster PC, that even has a backup function.....which wasn't working on my old PC. So, maybe in a way, this is even a Romans 8:28 thing. Especially if they are able to salvage all my files before something really bad were to happen to my old PC.

I wouldn't mind a prayer or two that Staples is indeed able to transfer all my files and for no more than $100 plus tax and that there are no additional problems. Thanks!

[Am on DD's PC right now. I expect to start posting again in a few days. ]

______

For Youths

Scholars

Prov 16:16 How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!

Where can we get wisdom? Our parents, the Bible, schools, ministers, the library and senior citizens, among others. College is a type of school students can go to after high school. Having a college education can help you get a good job and help you learn more about how to succeed in life.

Harvard was the first institute of higher education in America. It was founded in 1636 in Cambridge, Massachusetts to train ministers. That’s only 16 years after the Pilgrims landed! In fact, 106 of the first 108 schools in our country were founded on Christianity!1

However, Harvard and the majority of America’s other colleges now mainly teach secular (non-biblical) subjects. Many colleges also teach very liberal (ungodly) attitudes that can damage a person’s commitment to the Lord. Unfortunately, even a lot of Christian colleges have become rather liberal.

Give some serious thought to going to a truly Bible-based Christian college. When your professors all believe in God and the Bible, you are more likely to obtain a much better base of worthwhile, usable life knowledge than you would at a typical secular college. (You will also meet more true Christian friends!) When we have a good education that is also consistent with the Bible, we tend to make more good choices in life and fewer bad ones. For instance, when we understand God’s rules and wisely follow them, they help protect us; help us to be better, more successful people, help keep us out of trouble and help us to be happier. Getting a good college education is a very wise and worthy goal!

Prov 3:13-14 Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.
    Prov 2:10-11 For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.
    Prov 19:8 He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers.

[Note: The Council for Christian Colleges & Universities at http://www.cccu.org/ maintains a list of the top 100 or so Christian colleges and universities that are most truly committed to a Christ-centered life and high-quality academics combined with biblical faith. However, if you choose a secular college instead, you can still look for Christian friends there at organizations like Campus Crusade for Christ (see http://www.ccci.org/ ), or at nearby churches and Bible studies.

1 William J. Federer, America’s God and Country Encyclopedia of Quotations (Coppell, TX: FAME Publishing, Inc., 1996) 280-282.

______

For Children

Bride and Groom

1 Cor 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

Someday when you get older, you will have some very big decisions to make. As you meet different people, you will wonder if he or she is the person you want to marry. You may also wonder if it is true love.

Would you like to know how to test if love is real? Apply God’s guidelines shown in the Bible verses here! Think about this person you care about. First of all, is the person a true Christian who is living a godly life? That is the most important thing, as God tells us not to marry unbelievers (2 Cor 6:14-15). Can you recognize them by their producing good fruits (Matt 7:20)? Is the person honest, patient and kind? Or are they envious, boastful, proud, rude, selfish, hot-tempered or vengeful? Do they try to protect you? Do they want the best for you? Do they trust you? Do you trust them? Do you have similar hopes and dreams? Are they there for you even on tough days (Prov 25:19)? Is he or she a good friend, too?

Make sure you pray about it, too, and ask God if this is the person He wants you to marry. Remember that if this isn’t the person God wants you to marry, He probably has a much better match waiting for you--someone with whom you can enjoy lasting love!

1 Cor 13:5-7 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    Mat 19:4-5 . . . “at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ . . . a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife” . . .
    2 Cor 6:14-15 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
    Matt 7:20 “ . . . by their fruit you will recognize them.”
    Prov 25:19 Like a bad tooth . . . is reliance on the unfaithful in times of trouble.

______

For Youths: Bible verse memory helps. Imagine a costume and setting for.....

The Sword of Damocles

Prov 11:4 Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.

Have you heard the legend of The Sword of Damocles? No? Well, as the story goes, Damocles was a courtier in the court of Dionysius II of Syracuse (meaning he spent a lot of time in that court). One day Damocles was busy flattering the king and telling the king how fortunate he was to be so rich and powerful and live in such a magnificent palace. The king then offered to switch places with Damocles for the day, supposedly so that he, too, could experience that kind of good fortune. Damocles was only too happy to switch!

Dionysius then ordered that Damocles be given a golden couch to lay on, be surrounded by luxurious decorations, lots of fancy foods, perfumes, music and servants. However, Dionysius also ordered that a sword be hung by a single hair over Damocles. Damocles quickly discovered that he was much more worried about the sword falling on him than he was interested in his new “good fortune.” The frightened Damocles asked to be set free. Then the king explained to Damocles that he felt that kind of danger and fear every day in his position as king. You see, the king could be attacked and killed at any moment! Damocles learned the lesson that power and wealth might not be as desirable as they seem.1, 2

This story of ever-present peril can help remind us of a couple of other important lessons, too: (1) riches are useless to people who die unsaved (Prov 11:4, Ps 49:16-20, Mark 8:36) and (2) as we don’t know when we might die (James 4:14-15) or the rapture might occur (Matt 24:44) (followed by the immense peril of the tribulation), we should get right with God NOW (2 Cor 6:2, Mark 1:15, Heb 2:2-3)!

Ps 49:16-20 Do not be overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases; for he will take nothing with him when he dies, his splendor will not descend with him. Though while he lived he counted himself blessed--and men praise you when you prosper--he will join the generation of his fathers, who will never see the light of life. A man who has riches without understanding is like the beasts that perish.
    Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
    James 4:14-15 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
    Matt 24:44 “So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.”
    2 Cor 6:2 . . . behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
    Mark 1:15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!”
    Heb 2:2-3 For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.

1 "Damocles," retrieved 8 Jun. 2014 < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Damocles >
    2 The Sword of Damocles, Cicero translated by Gavin Betts, retrieved 8 Jun. 2014 < http://www.livius.org/sh-si/sicily/sicily_t11.html >

______

Father

Prov 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

It is often said, "The easiest way to bring up a child in the way he should go is to travel that same route." Does your father do that? Does he set a good example in the way he lives his life? Does he teach you about God, the Bible and the way you should live? If so, then you are truly blessed!

Ideal fathers walk in the strait and narrow way (Prov 20:7, Matt 7:13-14). They love their children (Ps 127:3-5) and provide for them (1 Tim 5:8). They teach their children many good things, especially about the Bible (Prov 4:1-2, 4-5, Deut 6:5-7, Is 38:19). They love their children’s mother (Eph 5:25). They discipline their children for their own good (Prov 3:11-12). They spend time with their children, encouraging, comforting and inspiring them to live worthy lives (1 Thes 2:11). And they have compassion on them, too (Ps 103:13). Good dads are such a blessing and good children honor them (Ex 20:12)!

Well, we began with an opt-repeated saying, let us end with another oft-repeated saying: “A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.” Run into your dad’s arms this Father’s Day and tell him you love him!

Prov 20:7 The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him.
    Matt 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
    Ps 127:3-5 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them . . .
    1 Tim 5:8 If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
    Prov 4:1-2, 4-5 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching. . . . Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.
    Deut 6:5-7 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
    Is 38:19 The living, the living--they praise you, as I am doing today; fathers tell their children about your faithfulness.
    Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
    Prov 3:11-12 My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
    1 Thes 2:11 For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.
    Ps 103:13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
    Ex 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

[Activity: Today is Father's Day! Want to make your dad’s day? Choose several colors of construction paper and make him a little "appreciation" card. Then you can make him a pencil holder, too. Ask your mom for a clean, dry, empty soup or vegetable can. You can cover it with construction paper and a nice design, too, or, if you have some craft supplies, you might instead cover the can with some fabric and trim. Write something nice inside the card (like maybe what you appreciate about him), maybe include a Bible verse (like maybe one of the above verses) and make sure you date it and the pencil holder (some dads like to keep special-memory treasures like that and it's nice to know what the date was and how old their child was when they made it; hint: a permanent marker will write on a smooth surface like the bottom of the can).

When you are done, give it all to him with a big hug and tell him how much you love and appreciate him!]

Continued below.....

______

Continued from above.....

Some Handy Stuff for Dads, Too:

-The happiest and holiest children in the world are the children whose fathers succeed in winning both their tender affection and their reverential and loving fear. And they are the children who will come to understand most easily the mystery of the fatherhood of God. JOHN PIPER
    -One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters. GEORGE HERBERT
    -Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father! LYDIA M. CHILD
    -I say to all fathers--be as good as you can be--because your sons and daughters will follow in your footsteps. DUANE CHAPMAN
    -Fathers and mothers, do not forget that children learn more by the eye than they do by the ear... Imitation is a far stronger principle with children than memory. What they see has a much stronger effect on their minds than what they are told. J.C. RYLE
    -Men are never manlier than when they are tender with their children - whether holding a baby in their arms, loving their grade-schooler, or hugging their teenager or adult children. R. KENT HUGHES
    -Being a godly father requires much perseverance and prayer as we seek God's guidance in being the types of fathers He wants us to be. JONATHAN FALWELL
    -A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society. BILLY GRAHAM

Gen 18:19 "For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just . . . "
    Josh 24:15 "But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
    Ps 112:1-3 Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands. His children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches are in his house, and his righteousness endures forever.
    Prov 1:8-9 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.
    Prov 10:1 A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother.
    Prov 14:26 Whoever fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge.
    Prov 15:5 A fool spurns his father's discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.
    Prov 15:20 A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish man despises his mother.
    Prov 23:24-25 The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him. May your father and mother be glad; may she who gave you birth rejoice!
    Is 43:4 . . . you are precious and honored in my sight . . .
    Mal 2:13-16 Has not the LORD made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth.
    1 Cor 13:4-7 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    1 Cor 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    1 Cor 16:14 Do everything in love.
    2 Cor 7:4 I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
    2 Cor 7:16 I am glad I can have complete confidence in you.
    Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. . . .
    Eph 6:1-4 6 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—“so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
    Col 3:20-21 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
    Heb 12:5-11 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
    3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

______

Default Dinosaur Info

As the subject of dinosaurs was brought up on another thread, I thought I would compile a list of dinosaur-related posts/links on this thread for those interested. Studying this subject in various books was very interesting. (Please bear with the relatively simple approach, as most of the info was written for young folks.)

#78. Job and the Dinosaur http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...04#post2329604

#88. Quetzalcoatlus http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...02#post2333202

#90. Saint George and the Dragon http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...43#post2334143

#123. Loch Ness Monster http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...91#post2348791

#198. An Extra Lesson: More About Noah and the Great Flood [there was room on the ark for small dinosaurs; see first section]
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...37#post2372137

#210. Young-Earth Info (for adults and teens) [on the "geologic column"; see section 6.c. “Out-of-Order” Fossils] http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...13#post2375513

______

Default Young Earth Info

Studying the evidence that supports a young earth, rather than an old one, is fascinating. Maybe one or more of the below links will be useful to those interested in this subject.

-Answers in Genesis, "Answers in Genesis is an apologetics ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ effectively. We focus on providing answers to questions about the Bible—particularly the book of Genesis—regarding key issues such as creation, evolution, science, and the age of the earth." https://answersingenesis.org/ [If you have children, they may like this section: https://answersingenesis.org/kids/ ]

-Creation Research Society, "The Creation Research Society is a professional organization of trained scientists and interested laypersons who are firmly committed to scientific special creation. The Society was organized in 1963 by a committee of ten like-minded scientists, and has grown into an organization with worldwide membership." https://www.creationresearch.org/ (They now have some 650 voting members and about 1,000 other members. I can't find the list on their site now, but they used to post a very long list of member scientists with a very impressive collection of degrees, titles and specialties.)
    They also post a huge list of creationist organizations in America: https://www.creationresearch.org/ind...-united-states

Or, if you would prefer to just read more of a basic overview-type collection of info, you and your family might just look on this thread for some info I researched in a number of different sources:
    #209. Young-Earth Info (for young folks)
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...07#post2375507
    #210. Young-Earth Info (for adults and teens)
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...13#post2375513
    #211. Young Earth - Selected quotes and Bible passages
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...19#post2375519
    #212. Young-Earth Opportunities and Footnotes
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...31#post2375531

______

Default Creation and Evolution

If you are interested in the subjects of creation and evolution, you might check out the dinosaur links in post #673 above and the creation/young-earth links in post #674 above, as well as the below creation/evolution-related links to posts on this thread. (Several of the below posts were written for young folks, so please excuse the simple language in those posts.)

#111. The Monkey’s Nephew [on Darwin, evolution, complexity in creation, and the importance of Genesis] http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...06#post2340606

#112. Related Tidbits: Some Specific Faults in Evolutionary Theory http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...09#post2340609

#120. The World's Oldest Lie [on the new-age belief in evolution] http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...42#post2348042

#130. Cave Dwellers [on supposed ape men] http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...53#post2351353

#152. Nicolaus Copernicus [on mature starlight] http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...19#post2357219

#154. Did the different races “evolve”? http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...84#post2358884

#521. Louis Pasteur [rejected evolution; believed that science brought man closer to God] http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...14#post2453414

#584. Mother Nature http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...20#post2465920

______