Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Got some favorite quotes?

-I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. GALILEO GALILEI

Eph 5:15-16 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

-The hottest coals of fire ever heaped upon the head of one who has wronged you are the coals of human kindness. UNK

Prov 25:21-22 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink: For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the Lord shall reward thee.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

My son tonight says, "Mom's harmless."

Our pastor this morning: "You can have this life. I'm waiting for the next one."
    and to wait for his Son from heaven,
    whom he raised from the dead—Jesus,
    who rescues us from the coming wrath
    1 Thessalonians 1:10

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing4 View Post

Our pastor this morning: "You can have this life. I'm waiting for the next one."
    My kids tell me "Mom,you are interesting". Hmmm...I don't know if that is a compliment or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing4 View Post

Nice!

______

-The books of men have their day and grow obsolete. God's Word is like Himself, "the same yesterday, today and forever." R. P. SMITH

Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
    Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not . . .
    Ps 119:144 Your statutes are forever right; give me understanding that I may live.
    Ps 119:152 Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever.
    Is 40:8 “The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever."
    Ps 119:160 All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.
    Luke 16:17 “It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.”
    Mat 5:18 . . . “one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.”

______

-Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian. United States Supreme Court, 1892

Deut 4:5-9 See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the Lord my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.” What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today? Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

Deut 6:5-7 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

______

-One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning. J. R. LOWELL

Jer 4:18-19 “Your own conduct and actions have brought this upon you. This is your punishment. How bitter it is! How it pierces to the heart!” Oh, my anguish, my anguish! I writhe in pain. Oh, the agony of my heart! . . .

Rom 6:21-22 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

______

Wise people learn from their mistakes.
    Those who are more wise learn from the mistakes of others.
    The most wise learn from the Bible. ANON

Is 48:17-18 . . . "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go. If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”

Deut 10:12-13 . . . what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the LORD's commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?

John 8:31-32 . . . Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

______

-Wise sayings often fall on barren ground; but a kind word is never thrown away. SIR ARTHUR HELPS

Prov 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
    Prov 12:25 An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.
    Eph 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
    1 Thes 5:14 . . . encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.

______

Men must be governed by God, or they will be ruled by tyrants

William Penn

-Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts. E. B. WHITE

-Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest violence. HEBREW PROVERB

Prov 18:2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

2 Tim 2:23 Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.

______

-The intellect of the wise is like glass; it admits the light of heaven and reflects it. A. W. HARE

Matt 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

______

There is a cemetery in Indiana that has an old tombstone bearing this epitaph:

Pause,stranger,when you pass me by
    As you are now,so once was I
    As I am now,so you will be
    So prepare for death and follow me

An unknown passerby read those works and underneath scratch this reply:

To follow you I'm not content
    Until I know which way you went

Unknown

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.” TEDDY ROOSEVELT

Heb 10:35-36 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

______

The only advantage of not being too good a housekeeper is that your guests are so pleased to feel how very much better they are. ELEANOR ROOSEVELT

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer. UNK

Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance? PHYLLIS DILLER

I hate housework! You make the beds, you do the dishes and six months later youhave to start all over again. JOAN RIVERS

Housework is what a woman does that nobody notices unless she hasn't done it. EVAN ESAR

______

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    The only advantage of not being too good a housekeeper is that your guests are so pleased to feel how very much better they are. ELEANOR ROOSEVELT

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer. UNK

Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance? PHYLLIS DILLER

I hate housework! You make the beds, you do the dishes and six months later youhave to start all over again. JOAN RIVERS

Housework is what a woman does that nobody notices unless she hasn't done it. EVAN ESAR

-The chains of habit are generally too small to be felt until they are too strong to be broken. SAMUEL JOHNSON
    -It is easier to stay out than get out. MARK TWAIN

1 Thes 5:22 Avoid every kind of evil.
    Prov 27:12 The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.
    John 8:34-36 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
    Gal 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
    2 Pet 2:19 . . . a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

______

-Shall I doubt my Father's mercy? Shall I think of death as doom, or the stepping o'er the threshold to a bigger, brighter room? R. FREEMAN
    -Out of the chill and shadow, into the thrill and the shine; out of the dearth and famine, into the fulness divine. M. E. SANGSTER

2 Cor 4:17-18 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

______