Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Got some favorite quotes?

-Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Old Proverb

1 Tim 6:17-19 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

"Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible." - Alan Kay, prominent computer scientist

-It is almost impossible to smile on the outside without feeling better on the inside. UNK

Ps 51:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

-Put it before them briefly, so they will read it, clearly, so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light. JOSEPH PULITZER

2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

______

-The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing, a vice hitherto little known in our American Army is growing into fashion. He hopes that the officers will, by example as well as influence, endeavor to check it and that both they and the men will reflect that we can little hope of the blessing of Heaven on our army if we insult it by our impiety and folly. Added to this it is a vice so mean and low without any temptation that every man of sense and character detests and despises it. GEORGE WASHINGTON (known as "Washington's Order on Profanity" from August 3, 1776)

Prov 4:24 “Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.”
    Matt 15:11 "What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'"
    Matt 15:18-19 “But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.”
    Mark 3:28-30 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation. Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.
    Eph 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
    Eph 5:4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
    Col 3:8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
    James 1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
    James 3:9-10 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

______

-When you become entitled to exercise the right of voting for public officers, let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers just men who will rule in the fear of God. The preservation of a republican government depends on the faithful discharge of this duty; if the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men if office, the government will soon be corrupted; laws will be made not for the public good so much as for selfish or local purposes; corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the laws; the public revenues will be squandered on unworthy men; and the rights of the citizens will be violated or disregarded. If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine commands and elect bad men to make and administer the laws. NOAH WEBSTER

Ex 18:21 “But select capable men from all the people--men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain--and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens.”

______

On Silence

-Silence is golden. UNK
    -When you have nothing to say, say nothing. CHARLES CALEB COLTON (1780–1832)

Prov 17:28 Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.
    Prov 17:27 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint . . .
    Prov 10:19 When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.
    Prov 21:23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

______

Kids are like toots--you can only tolerate your own--Unknown
    John 1:29 Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world

Revelation22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"

On the Bible

-Sink the Bible to the bottom of the sea, and man's obligation to God would be unchanged. He would have the same path to tread, only his lamp and his guide would be gone; he would have the same voyage to make, only his compass and chart would be overboard. HENRY WARD BEECHER

Ps 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

______

Weather permitting, I may be away from my computer for a few days. Christmas seems like a good time to address the good influence of Christian families. Merry Christmas!

On the Good Influence of Christian Families

-Strength of character may be acquired at work, but beauty of character is learned at home. There the affections are trained. There the gentle life reaches us, the true heaven life. In one word, the family circle is the supreme conductor of Christianity. HENRY DRUMMOND
    -There is no synthetic replacement for a decent home life. Our high crime rate, particularly among juveniles, is directly traceable to a breakdown in moral fiber--to the disintegration of home and family life. Religion and home life are supplementary. Each strengthens the other. It is seldom that a solid and wholesome home life can be found in the absence of religious inspiration. J. EDGAR HOOVER

Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

______

If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.

Without goals, you can't have success...my 13 year old grandson (Christmas Day, while sharing some of the goals he has set for himself)

Proud grammy

I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken because He is right beside me. Ps. 16:8

Progress may have been all right once, but it has gone on far too long. -Ogden Nash

Archaeology Corroborates the Bible

. . . no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a single biblical reference. Scores of archaeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or exact detail historical statements in the Bible. And, by the same token, proper evaluation of biblical descriptions has often led to amazing discoveries. NELSON GLUECK, archaeologist

As quoted in: Henry M. Morris with Henry M. Morris III, Many Infallible Proofs: Practical and Useful Evidences for the Christian Faith (Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 1996) 55-57.

[See http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1797...83#post2345683 for related info]

______

A Higher Standard

Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody expects of you. Never excuse yourself. HENRY WARD BEECHER

2 Cor 13:11 Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

______

God bless us every one! - Tiny Tim

If voting mattered, they wouldn't let us do it. -- Mark Twain

On giving and getting credit

Prov 3:27 Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.

There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit. [variously attributed; possibly Ronald Reagan or General George C. Marshall]

Prov 27:2 Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.

______

On self-love

-Usually he is most empty who is most full of himself. A. G. LAWSON
    -He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals. B. FRANKLIN

Rom 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

______

On Peace

No God, no peace. Know God, know peace. UNK

Ps 119:165 Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.
    Is 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
    Is 48:22 "There is no peace," says the LORD, "for the wicked."
    Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. . . .
    John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
    John 16:33 I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
    Phil 4:7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Col 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
    1 Cor 14:33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace . . .

______

On Interrupting

There cannot be a greater rudeness, than to interrupt another in the current of his discourse . . . JOHN LOCKE

Prov 18:13 He who answers before listening--that is his folly and his shame.

______