Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: Got some favorite quotes?

Longevity

Thought I would do something a little different today and point out a couple of interesting examples of a well-known Bible verse, Proverbs 17:22. I was looking up a potential quote author and his picture reminded me of Bob Hope. I looked up Bob Hope and discovered that he had not just lived into his 90's as I thought, but he lived to be 100 (1903-2003). That reminded me of George Burns. He also lived to be 100 (1896-1996).

BOB HOPE
    -When I was born the doctor said to my mother, "Congratulations. You have an 8-pound ham."
    -A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.
    -You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.
    -The only thing chicken about Israel is their soup.
    -[When asked by his wife where he wanted to be buried] Surprise me.
    -I love to go to Washington - if only to be near my money.
    -I have seen what a laugh can do. It can transform almost unbearable tears into something bearable, even hopeful.

GEORGE BURNS
    -When I was a boy the Dead Sea was only sick.
    -I can't understand why I flunked American history. When I was a kid there was so little of it.
    -By the time you're eighty years old you've learned everything. You only have to remember it.
    -I'd go out with women my age, but there are no women my age.
    -Acting is all about honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
    -People are always asking me when I'm going to retire. Why should I? I've got it two ways - I'm still making movies, and I'm a senior citizen, so I can see myself at half price.
    -Age to me means nothing. I can't get old; I'm working. I was old when I was twenty-one and out of work. As long as you're working, you stay young. When I'm in front of an audience, all that love and vitality sweeps over me and I forget my age.

Prov 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

The desire to be loved and honored

-A desire to be observed, considered, esteemed, praised, beloved, and admired by his fellows is one of the earliest as well as the keenest dispositions discovered in the heart of man. JOHN QUINCY ADAMS

Eph 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
    Rom 15:2 Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
    1 Thes 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
    1 Cor 13:4-8 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. . . .
    Prov 3:27 Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.
    2 Cor 7:4 I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
    2 Cor 7:16 I am glad I can have complete confidence in you.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

I am a novice on the computer so this is all I could come up with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for contributing, imwaiting. For those who can't use links on their devices, what imwaiting posted was this: "The truth is hard to swallow if you're choking on your pride." [I did not find an author on the Internet.]

- - - - -

God's store of grace

-A man can no more take in a supply of grace for the future than he can eat enough today to last him for the next 6 months, nor can he inhale sufficient air into his lungs with one breath to sustain life for a week to come. We are permitted to draw upon God's store of grace from day to day as we need it. D.L. MOODY

2 Cor 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
    2 Cor 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
    2 Cor 13:14 May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
    2 Thes 2:16-17 May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.
    Heb 4:16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
    2 Pet 1:2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
    Rev 22:21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.

______

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Be all that you can be. US Army recruiting slogan.

God has made such provision through His Word and His Spirit, that when we seek His kingdom FIRST.... we can be all He has designed us to be.

Matthew 6:33 NKJV
    But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Ephesians 4:11-13New King James Version (NKJV)
    11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;

2 Timothy 3:14-17New King James Version (NKJV)
    14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Nice, Wally!

- - - - -

Faithfulness

Here’s another military one, the U.S. Marine Corps motto:

Semper Fidelis (translation: Always Faithful)

Prov 3:3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
    Rom 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
    Josh 24:14 "Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD."
    2 Chr 19:9 He gave them these orders: "You must serve faithfully and wholeheartedly in the fear of the LORD."
    Ps 25:10 All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of his covenant.
    Ps 37:28-29 For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever, but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off; the righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever.
    1 Pet 4:10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
    3 John 1:3 It gave me great joy to have some brothers come and tell about your faithfulness to the truth and how you continue to walk in the truth.
    1 Sam 12:24 But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.
    Heb 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
    2 Sam 22:26 "To the faithful you show yourself faithful . . . "

______

Readiness

And another military one, the U. S. Coast Guard motto:

Semper Paratus (translation: Always Ready)

1 Pet 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.
    Matt 24:32-44 "Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. 36 But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. 42 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."
    Luke 21:25-28 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

______

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    -If you're too open-minded your brains will fall out.

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
    1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    Only what’s done for Christ will last

- . . . The money, the education, the houses and cars are all nice, but never forget...they are just things and they stay here. Don’t place any real value [on] anything here, it has never been meant to last. Jesus Christ is absolutely everything. Everything and I mean absolutely everything was HIS to begin with and will always be HIS, we simply rent it. The rental contract is short and the time of the rental is short as well. . . . You must understand, everything here has an “Expiration Date” stamped on it. ONLY what is done for Jesus Christ...will last. Everything else will stay right here. The REAL YOU will be wherever you have chosen to go. DON TWOBEARS*

Matt 6:19-21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
    Ps 49:16-17 Do not be overawed when others grow rich, when the splendor of their houses increases; for they will take nothing with them when they die, their splendor will not descend with them.
    Mark 8:36 “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?”
    1 Tim 6:7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.
    Josh 24:15 “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
    Rom 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

*From his very interesting new article “For Where Your Treasure Is...?” http://www.raptureready.com/featured...obears186.html
    1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

An effective way to “get rid of” enemies

-Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them? ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Rom 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
    Matt 5:43-45 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”
    Luke 6:32-33 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that.”
    Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
    Rom 12:14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
    Rom 12:19-20 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if the is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”

______

Airborne Rangers Semper Avanti - Always Forward

Matthew 28:19-20King James Version (KJV)

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

Nice, Wally! Maybe somebody can come up with Bible passages to go with the mottos of the other services, too.

- - - -

Spiritual vigor in proportion to our regard for/involvement with the Bible

-The vigor of our spiritual life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our life and thoughts. GEORGE MUELLER
    -Now what is food for the inner man? Not prayer, but the Word of God; and here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God, so that it only passes through our minds, just as water passes through a pipe, but considering what we read, pondering it over and applying it to our hearts. GEORGE MUELLER

Matt 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
    Ps 1:1-3 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.
    John 6:48 "I am the bread of life."

[Note: Mueller valued prayer, too. If interested, see the prayer-quote thread.
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1910...83#post2513483 ]

______

Ok not mottos per se.....

Anchors Aweigh US Navy Anthem

Hebrews 6:17-20New King James Version (NKJV)

17 Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath, 18 that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might[a] have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.

19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil, 20 where the forerunner has entered for us, even Jesus, having become High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

Off we go Into the wild blue yonder
    ..... US Air Force Anthem

1 Thessalonians 4:17
    Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

Clever, Wally!

And using a similar approach for Army soldiers.....

The Army and Christian soldiers

-Onward Christian soldiers . . .

plus a couple more thoughts.....
    -Now the true soldiers of Christ must always be prepared to do battle for the truth, and must never, so far as lies with them, allow false convictions to creep in. ORIGEN
    -The Lord gets his best soldiers out of the highlands of affliction. CHARLES SPURGEON

Judges 5:21 . . . March on, my soul; be strong!
    Gal 5:25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
    2 Tim 2:3 Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
    Eph 6:10-18 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

______