Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657
Results 1,121 to 1,131 of 1131

Thread: Got some favorite quotes?

Looking on the bright side: first cousin to the-glass-is-half-full/half-empty

-Some people complain because God put thorns on roses, while others praise Him for putting roses among thorns. ANON

Ps 50:23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.
    Ps 107:31 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
    Ps 103:2 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--
    Ps 72:19 Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Amen and Amen.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Convergence - signs occurring together and at breakneck speed

-If you were to ask me why I’m increasingly convinced that we’re in the last hour of human history as we know it, my answer would have to be this: So much is happening so fast. And I would suggest that one of the reasons Bible prophecy is coming together so fast is because the world is falling apart so fast. . . . And it’s not just Ezekiel 38 that’s coming together so fast, there are numerous prophecies in the Bible that collectively, in concert one with the other, are coming to pass in real time at breakneck speed. J.D. FARAG*

Matt 24:3-13 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

*Mid-East Prophecy Update – April 26th, 2015 (at about 8 minutes)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_eBP_hqJjo

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

A roof and a foundation

-A happy home is more than just a roof over your head--it's a foundation under your feet. Amish Proverb

Matt 7:24-25 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.”
    Deut 6:6-7 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
    Ps 78:4 We will not hide them from their descendants; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.
    Prov 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
    Ps 127:1 Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
    Luke 11:17 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: "Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall."
    Josh 24:15 “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

______

Default Favorite Quote of All-Time

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
    ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

For those who would like to read a little more along the line of overcomer's C.S. Lewis quote:

Liar, Lunatic, or Lord?
    http://www.josh.org/liar-lunatic-or-lord-2/

Matt 16:13-17 13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
    14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
    15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
    16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
    17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.”

______

Learning from those who have gone before

-The best way to help those who are behind you is to heed those before you. JACK HYLES

Job 12:12 "Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?"
    John 7:38 "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."
    Ps 119:152 Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever.
    Job 8:8 "Ask the former generations and find out what their fathers learned."
    Jer 6:16 This is what the Lord says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. . . . "
    Heb 13:8-9 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. . . .
    Eccl 9:17 The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools.

______

Counting our blessings

-Think of the ills from which you are exempt, and it will aid you to bear patiently those which now you may suffer. RICHARD CECIL
    -There but for the grace of God go I. paraphrase of JOHN BRADFORD's remark

Ps 103:2-5 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

______

Optimism

-Optimist: a man who gets treed by a lion, but enjoys the scenery. WALTER WINCHELL

Phil 4:4-7 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
    Phil 4:11-13 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

______

God's "Secret Service" Agents

-As our Father makes many a flower to bloom unseen in the lonely desert, [let us] do all that we can do, as under God's eye, though no other eye ever take note of it. HUDSON TAYLOR

Col 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
    Matt 6:1-4 "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
    Heb 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
    Gal 6:9-10 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
    Matt 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    Jer 32:19 great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to all the ways of men; you reward everyone according to his conduct and as his deeds deserve.

______

Do everything in love

-Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave. MARTIN LUTHER

Rom 12:9-10 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
    1 Cor 13:4-7 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    1 Thes 3:12 May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.
    Eph 5:21-25 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
    Eph 5:28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
    Eph 5:33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
    Col 3:17-19 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
    1 Pet 3:1-2 Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.
    1 Pet 3:7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
    Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    Eph 4:2-3 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
    1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
    Prov 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
    Prov 12:25 An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.
    Prov 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Prov 15:4 The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.
    Prov 15:30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.
    Prov 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
    1 Pet 3:8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
    1 Pet 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
    1 Cor 16:14 Do everything in love.

______

His best soldiers

-The Lord gets his best soldiers out of the highlights of affliction. CHARLES SPURGEON

2 Tim 2:3 Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
    Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

______