Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1946

Thread: Got some favorite quotes?

Scripture: not for editing and tinkering

-God’s words are not for me to edit and tinker with, but to believe and obey. A.W. TOZER

The Word and the Just
    Ps 12:6 And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times.
    Ps 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.
    Ps 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
    Ps 37:30-31 The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom, and their tongues speak what is just. The law of their God is in their hearts; their feet do not slip.
    Ps 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
    Ps 119:89 Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
    Prov 30:5 “Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.”
    Matt 5:18 “I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.”
    Luke 16:17 “It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.”
    2 Cor 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
    Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
    2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    2 Pet 1:20-21 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
    1 Pet 1:25 “but the word of the Lord stands forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
    Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    Rom 1:17 The just shall live by faith.

The Unjust
    Prov 30:5-6 “Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.6 Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.”
    Jude 1:4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
    Ps 50:16-19 But to the wicked, God says: “What right have you to recite my laws or take my covenant on your lips? You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you. When you see a thief, you join with him; you throw in your lot with adulterers. You use your mouth for evil and harness your tongue to deceit.”
    2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
    Rev 22:18-19 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Related posts:
    917. Choosing God’s true, unchanging word over man’s flawed, changeable opinions
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...57#post2514357
    1620. Three great truths
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...53#post2606453

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

The desires of true Christians

-There are three things which the true Christian desires in respect to sin: Justification, that it may not condemn; sanctification, that it may not reign; and glorification, that it may not be. RICHARD CECIL

Justification
    Acts 13:38-39 “Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses.”
    Rom 3:22-24 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
    Rom 4:25 He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.
    Rom 5:8-9 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!
    Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
    1 Cor 6:11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Sanctification
    John 17:17-19 "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."
    Acts 20:32 “Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.”
    Acts 26:18 “‘to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’”
    Rom 15:16 to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles with the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.
    2 Thes 2:13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

Glorification
    Rom 8:16-17 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
    Rom 8:29-30 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

And a blessing for you and yours
    1 Thes 5:23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Related post:
    1503. The journey toward salvation
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...49#post2598949

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

A true friend

-A true friend overlooks your broken-down gate and admires the flowers in your window. ANON

Prov 17:17a A friend loves at all times . . .
    Ps 119:63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.

Related posts:
    355. Appreciating good qualities in your friends
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...52#post2401352
    523. Five real friends
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...40#post2442840
    1014. True friendship
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...46#post2530946

______

Good in directly leads to good out

-There is a direct line that runs from our doctrine to our actions, from what is in our minds to what is in our words and ways . . . The heart spills over into life. Thoughts of God, and of all else, erupt into acts. The filling of the heart with wise thoughts of God becomes the most important, the most practical, business in the world. TOM WELLS

Luke 6:44-45 "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."
    Ps 1:1-2 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers,2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night.
    Ps 19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
    Ps 77:12 “I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”
    Ps 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
    Ps 119:15 I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
    Ps 119:27 Cause me to understand the way of your precepts, that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds.
    Ps 119:48 I reach out for your commands, which I love, that I may meditate on your decrees.
    Ps 119:78 May the arrogant be put to shame for wronging me without cause; but I will meditate on your precepts.
    Ps 119:97-99 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. 98 Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies. 99 I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.

Related posts:
    1110. Growth through earnestly meditating on the truth
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...83#post2548083
    1160. Storing up knowledge
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...62#post2556062
    1304. Abiding
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...35#post2579935

______

Holding on too tightly to the past

-You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present. JAN GLIDEWELL

Phil 3:12-14 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
    1 Cor 7:29-31 (AMP) I mean, brethren, the appointed time has been winding down and it has grown very short. From now on, let even those who have wives be as if they had none,30 And those who weep and mourn as though they were not weeping and mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they did not possess anything,31 And those who deal with this world [overusing the enjoyments of this life] as though they were not absorbed by it and as if they had no dealings with it. For the outward form of this world (the present world order) is passing away.

Related posts:
    795. Soon the battle will be over
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...93#post2496593
    870. These temporary storms before the dawn
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...09#post2507409
    1341. Helping us let go
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...71#post2583871
    1881. Living with a "forever" perspective, not just a "now" perspective
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...96#post2630396

______

The mindset of Christ Jesus

-The Father did not strip the Son of His eternal glory but the Son agreed to lay it aside temporarily for the sake of our salvation. R. C. SPROUL

Phil 2:5-8 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
    John 6:38-39 “For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.”
    Titus 2:12-14 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

John 12:14-15 Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, as it is written: 15 “Do not be afraid, Daughter Zion; see, your king is coming, seated on a donkey’s colt.”
    Matt 21:8-9 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
    Luke 19:39-40 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”40 “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

______

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    The mindset of Christ Jesus

-The Father did not strip the Son of His eternal glory but the Son agreed to lay it aside temporarily for the sake of our salvation. R. C. SPROUL

Phil 2:5-8 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
    John 6:38-39 “For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.”
    Titus 2:12-14 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

John 12:14-15 Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, as it is written: 15 “Do not be afraid, Daughter Zion; see, your king is coming, seated on a donkey’s colt.”
    Matt 21:8-9 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
    Luke 19:39-40 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”40 “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”
    I have to post one of my favorite poems that is related to Palm Sunday, although when reading it, one does not get the Palm Sunday connection till the last two verses!

The Donkey
    By G. K. Chesterton

When fishes flew and forests walked
    And figs grew upon thorn,
    Some moment when the moon was blood
    Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
    And ears like errant wings,
    The devil’s walking parody
    On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
    Of ancient crooked will;
    Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
    I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
    One far fierce hour and sweet:
    There was a shout about my ears,
    And palms before my feet.

Interesting. The little donkey raised from insignificance to the honor of serving the King! Thanks, SumSam.
    - - - - -

From little heaps of dust into glorious bodies like unto His own

-He knows where every, separate little heap of dust rests--the dust of a Peter and of a Paul,--all to be raised in a moment and made glorious bodies like unto His own. Then it will come out in a volume, the whole sum and substance of the gospel of the glory shut up in Him. G.V. WIGRAM

Phil 3:20-21 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.
    1 Cor 15:49-57 And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man. 50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” 55 “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    1 Thes 4:13-18 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

______

No greater love

-God proved His love on the Cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, "I love you." BILLY GRAHAM

John 10:17-18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
    John 15:13-15 "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."
    Is 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
    John 3:16-17 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Related posts:
    425. Calvary and the Grace of God
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...11#post2415611
    1032. God is love.....infinite love
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...10#post2534410
    1093. Those who go to hell, do so over my dead and resurrected body
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...57#post2545357
    1269. Concrete demonstration of God's love
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...41#post2574541

______

Over 500 witnesses saw the risen Christ

-I went to a psychologist friend and said if 500 people claimed to see Jesus after he died, it was just a hallucination. He said hallucinations are an individual event. If 500 people have the same hallucination, that's a bigger miracle than the resurrection. LEE STROBEL

1 Cor 15:1-6 Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
    2 Cor 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Related posts:
    434. C. S. LEWIS
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...23#post2417123
    694. An atheist who found so much evidence for the truth of the Bible that he changed his mind and became a well-known evangelist
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...31#post2475631
    786. Formerly blind, now a warrior for the Lord
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...33#post2494733
    847. Jesus Christ, the focal point for forgiveness and redemption
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...51#post2503151
    1218. A rational and logical step
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...02#post2565502

______

The empty tomb

-No tabloid will ever print the startling news that the mummified body of Jesus of Nazareth has been discovered in old Jerusalem. Christians have no carefully embalmed body enclosed in a glass case to worship. Thank God, we have an empty tomb. The glorious fact that the empty tomb proclaims to us is that life for us does not stop when death comes. Death is not a wall, but a door. PETER MARSHALL

Matt 28:5-7 The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."
    1 Cor 15:1-6 Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.

Related post:
    1280. The dead will be raised
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...01#post2576301

______

Substitution

-On the cross, God treated Jesus as if He lived your life so He could treat you as if you lived His life. JOHN MACARTHUR
    -We must not forget that it wasn't the Jews that put Him on the cross, and it wasn't the Romans. It was my sins, it was your sins, the sins of this world. FRANKLIN GRAHAM

Selected Old Testament Passages
    Ps 22:13-18 Roaring lions that tear their prey open their mouths wide against me.14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted within me.15 My mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.16 Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet.17 All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me.18 They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.

Ps 34:20 He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.

Is 50:6 I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.

Is 53:5-6 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. 6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Zech 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Selected New Testament Passages
    Matt 27:24-31 When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"25 All the people answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"26 Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.27 Then the governor's soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him.28 They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him,29 and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. "Hail, king of the Jews!" they said.30 They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again.31 After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.

Mark 15:15-20 Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.16 The soldiers led Jesus away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and called together the whole company of soldiers.17 They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him.18 And they began to call out to him, "Hail, king of the Jews!"19 Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him.20 And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him.

Mark 15:29-39 Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, “So! You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, 30 come down from the cross and save yourself!” 31 In the same way the chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked him among themselves. “He saved others,” they said, “but he can’t save himself! 32 Let this Messiah, this king of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe.” Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him.33 At noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. 34 And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).35 When some of those standing near heard this, they said, “Listen, he’s calling Elijah.”36 Someone ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to take him down,” he said.37 With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.38 The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. 39 And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!”

Luke 23:33-47 When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him there, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.35 The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is God’s Messiah, the Chosen One.”36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar 37 and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”38 There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”44 It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, 45 for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last. 47 The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, “Surely this was a righteous man.”

John 19:23-37 When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom.24 “Let’s not tear it,” they said to one another. “Let’s decide by lot who will get it.” This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled that said, “They divided my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.” So this is what the soldiers did. 25 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman, here is your son,” 27 and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.28 Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” 29 A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. 30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. 31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down. 32 The soldiers therefore came and broke the legs of the first man who had been crucified with Jesus, and then those of the other. 33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. 35 The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe. 36 These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: “Not one of his bones will be broken,” 37 and, as another scripture says, “They will look on the one they have pierced.”

Related posts:
    405. Jesus the Messiah
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...53#post2412153
    1718. The lightning rod of grace
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...28#post2616828

______

He’s Alive!

-Immanuel, God with us in our nature, in our sorrow, in our lifework, in our punishment, in our grave, and now with us, or rather we with Him, in resurrection, ascension, triumph, and Second Advent splendor. CHARLES SPURGEON

Matt 28:5-7 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”
    Matt 1:21-23 “She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
    Gal 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
    1 Pet 2:24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

“He’s Alive” Dolly Parton

Related posts:
    127. [Eternity -- a long time to be wrong]
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...07#post2334507
    699. He showed us the way to warmth and safety
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...68#post2476568
    1486. Christ: His life, death, resurrection, ascension and intercession
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...78#post2597378

______

Bilingual: Bibline

-It is blessed to eat into the very soul of the Bible until, at last, you come to talk in Scriptural language, and your spirit is flavoured with the words of the Lord, so that your blood is Bibline and the very essence of the Bible flows from you. CHARLES SPURGEON

Ps 37:30-31 The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom, and their tongues speak what is just. The law of their God is in their hearts; their feet do not slip.
    Ps 119:18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
    Ps 119:24 Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.
    Ps 119:47 for I delight in your commands because I love them.
    Ps 119:48 I reach out for your commands, which I love, that I may meditate on your decrees.
    Ps 119:97 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
    Mark 4:24 (AMP) And He said to them, Be careful what you are hearing. The measure [of thought and study] you give [to the truth you hear] will be the measure [of virtue and knowledge] that comes back to you—and more [besides] will be given to you who hear.
    John 17:17 "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."
    Col 3:16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.

Related thread:
    See this new thread to learn how many over the centuries have, in a way, "come to talk in Scriptural language."
    Bible-Based Phrases and Sayings: A-Z Consolidated List at http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?2011...solidated-List .

______

When you lie down your sleep will be sweet

-The innocent seldom find an uncomfortable pillow. WILLIAM COWPER

Prov 3:21-24 My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion;22 they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck.23 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble.24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    Ps 32:2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.
    Ps 32:5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah
    Ps 103:8-18 The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
    Job 14:17 My offenses will be sealed up in a bag; you will cover over my sin.
    Is 1:18 “Come now, let us reason together,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.”
    Is 43:25 “I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.”
    Is 44:22 “I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you.”
    Is 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Related post:
    818. Letting the Lord transform our anxiety into constructive thoughtfulness for the future
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...95#post2498895

______

This world is only the road to the destination

-Materialism would dupe us into believing this world is center stage, the destination rather than the road to the destination. RANDY ALCORN

Matt 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Col 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
    1 Tim 6:17-19 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
    1 Pet 1:3-5 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,

Related posts:
    682. An interesting explanation for many: fear of death = fear of losing one's earthly treasures
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...82#post2473782
    1045. If you are storing up treasures in heaven, you're even more excited about going there!
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...28#post2536528
    1384. Looking forward to eternity
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...71#post2587571
    1881. Living with a "forever" perspective, not just a "now" perspective
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...96#post2630396

______

Growing happy thoughts

-Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds. UNK

Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Related posts:
    334. The state of the mind
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...96#post2398296
    789. Strength in close communion with the Lord
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...98#post2495498
    1023. Wisely closing doors to danger
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...28#post2533128
    1128. Optimism
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...86#post2550386
    1311. Discouragement
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...79#post2580879
    1450. Easy object lesson for Sunday school teachers
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...91#post2593791
    1654. Choosing books like choosing friends…..wisely
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...73#post2610073
    1720. Fighting a heavy heart with music
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...15#post2617015

______

When the road seems too long

-Before you quit because the road seems too long, turn around and look how far you have come. UNK

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
    Rom 13:11-12 And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
    1 Cor 7:29-31 What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.
    Col 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
    James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
    Heb 10:35-36 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
    2 Thes 3:5 May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance.

Related posts:
    255. Perseverance [By perseverance the snail reached the ark]
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...14#post2380714
    1369. Hanging in there
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...70#post2585970
    1385. Like they say, when eating an elephant, take one bite at a time
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...82#post2587782
    1727. Patience and patient endurance: evidence of genuine faith
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...81#post2617581
    1896. To keep on keeping on
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...28#post2631428

______

Two great spiritual needs

-Man has two great spiritual needs. One is for forgiveness. The other is for goodness. BILLY GRAHAM

Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    Eph 1:7-8 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
    Col 1:12-14 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
    1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
    Eph 1:7-8 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
    2 Peter 1:3-8 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Related posts:
    239. Forgiveness
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...85#post2374585
    594. Forgiveness
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...52#post2459352
    595. God's love and forgiveness
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...18#post2459518
    851. The ticket to heaven: forgiveness through Jesus
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...90#post2503790
    915. Strong, gentle, pure, and good
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...53#post2513953
    950. Love is.....
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...81#post2520781
    1503. The journey toward salvation
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...49#post2598949
    1900. For those who feel their sins are beyond God’s willingness to forgive
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...16#post2631716

______

Be on guard for additional volleys of flaming arrows

-If thou dost not stumble at this stone, the devil hath another at hand to throw in the way. He is not so unskillful a fowler as to go with one single shot into the field; and therefore expect him, as soon as he hath discharged one, and missed thee, to let fly at thee with a second. WILLIAM GURNALL

1 Pet 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
    John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
    Eph 4:27 and do not give the devil a foothold.
    1 Thes 5:22 reject every kind of evil.
    James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
    Eph 6:13-16 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

Related posts:
    184. The devil's tricks
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...66#post2354266
    387. Onward Christian Soldiers!
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...92#post2408092
    611. Pleasing shapes
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...72#post2462572
    997. One kind of affliction: suffering as evidence you’re on the right path
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...60#post2528960
    1071. Deceptively gradual, progressive temptation
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...13#post2541413
    1409. Specially selected bait
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...12#post2590212
    1545. Avoiding temptation
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...85#post2601385

______