Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758
Results 1,141 to 1,153 of 1153

Thread: Got some favorite quotes?

Train up a child . . .

-Those children who are of sufficient years to sin and be saved by faith have to listen to the gospel and receive it by faith. And they can do this, God the Holy Spirit helping them. There is no doubt about it, because great numbers have done it. I will not say at what age children are first capable of receiving the knowledge of Christ, but it is much earlier than some fancy. CHARLES SPURGEON

Prov 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    Deut 6:6-7 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
    Ps 78:4 We will not hide them from their descendants; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Wisely selective viewing

-A wise man sees as much as he ought, not as much as he can. MICHEL DE MONTAIGNE

Ps 119:37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.
    Ps 101:3-4 I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me. Men of perverse heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with evil.
    Rom 8:5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.
    James 1:21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
    Ps 141:4 Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil, to take part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers . . .

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Family devotions

-In addition to teaching your children throughout the day, you must set aside specific, planned times to worship the Lord and learn His Word together. Conducting family devotions requires planning and diligence if this godly practice is to develop and be maintained in your home. JOHN C. BROGER

Deut 4:9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

[for additional related Bible passages, also see #1141 above]

______

Frequent, vital "transfusions"

-Church attendance is as vital to a disciple as a transfusion of rich, healthy blood to a sick man. DWIGHT L. MOODY

Heb 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

______

Making the most of every opportunity

-Tomorrow is the devil's day, but today is God's. Satan does not care how spiritual your intentions are, or how holy your resolutions, if only they are determined to be done tomorrow. J.C. RYLE

Col 4:5-6 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
    Col 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
    Col 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
    John 15:16 . . . “I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last” . . .
    1 Tim 6:18-19 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
    Heb 6:10 God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.
    Luke 19:12-13 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

______

A word in season

-I would go to the deeps a hundred times to cheer a downcast spirit. It is good for me to have been afflicted, that I might know how to speak a word in season to one that is weary. CHARLES SPURGEON
    -A helping word to one in trouble is often like a switch on a railroad track an inch between wreck and smooth, rolling prosperity. HENRY WARD BEECHER

Is 50:4 The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.
    Prov 12:25 An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.
    Rom 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
    2 Cor 1:3-4 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

______

Striking sail to Him

-When the Lord's blessed will bloweth cross your desires, it is best, in humility, to strike sail to Him, and to be willing to be led any way our Lord pleaseth. SAMUEL RUTHERFORD

Ps 40:8 "I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."
    Matt 6:9-10 "This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.'"
    Luke 22:42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."
    Rom 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
    Is 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
    Ps 143:10 Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

______

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    Striking sail to Him

-When the Lord's blessed will bloweth cross your desires, it is best, in humility, to strike sail to Him, and to be willing to be led any way our Lord pleaseth. SAMUEL RUTHERFORD

FYI: To strike one's colours is to lower your flag in surrender. Striking sail means to lower them, loose all momentum and stop, change course, and follow a new heading.

And for those following a New Master and Commander, it doesn't hurt to stop and check your bearings and position, then get on proper course.

Remember we already belong(surrendered) to Him. So seek of the joy of a successful mission - done only by believing and trusting Him.

God Bless the King of Kings!
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Thanks for the correction, Wally. I'm not very familiar with nautical terms, so I had looked up "strike sail" to make sure I understood it. I didn't realize that adding "ing" would change the meaning.

______

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Not a correction, but expounding upon the nautical term. The -ing is the physical action [present tense] [struck = past tense] of to strike.

We should strike our colours to Christ - surrender.

Likewise we should strike sail and stop being blown about by the world or our own desires.

Let God take the helm, put us on a proper heading and make all sail following His course.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Wally-Thanks again
    - - - - -
    Being transformed into His likeness

-God is more concerned with conforming me to the likeness of His Son than leaving me in my comfort zones. God is more interested in inward qualities than outward circumstances - things like refining my faith, humbling my heart, cleaning up my thought life and strengthening my character. JONI EARECKSON TADA

2 Cor 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
    Rom 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
    Eph 4:22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
    Phil 2:1-2 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
    Is 64:8 Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.
    2 Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

______

Zeal

-I don't know about having too much zeal; but I think it is better the pot should boil over than not boil at all. UNK

Rom 12:11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
    1 Cor 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    Gal 4:16-18 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? 17 Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may have zeal for them. 18 It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always, not just when I am with you.
    2 Cor 9:2 For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm* has stirred most of them to action.

* [KJV: zeal]

______

Christ: the Cure

Life is short.
    Death is sure.
    Sin the cause.
    Christ the cure.

James 4:14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

______